Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 Executive Officer Civil Service

• 12-05-2022 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mtb_sends

Just opened today! Anyone know what percentage of job offers are based outside Dublin just out of curiosity?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Have you a link to this cant seem to find it on Public Jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭furrybones

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Meanman

Someone might give me the answer to this please. For "Interdepartmental " stream would working in HSE meet criteria. Also, is there ever "Internal" EO positions advertised (literally emails sent to current staff) advising of EO vacancies?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GeorgeVictor

Yes, if you have 2 years of service + the other requirements.

if you are not eligible in a interdepartmental, you can apply for the external EO competition on PAS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Kirbi

No - the Information Booklet says it must be Civil Service experience, and the HSE is a Public Service body.

There are Internal EO competitions in almost all civil service bodies (I think some of the very small ones may not have them). I imagine it is similar in the public service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Where would people recommend as second preference. Based on positions who would the most.

Waterford

Carlow

Wicklow

I'm currently based in Wexford and these are all good communtes for me so thinking who would be most likely to hire good numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭RichPersonInsideAPoor

The mobility map might help it lists the number of positions in each area at each level. Sorry it won't let me post link but if you google civil service mobility map you'll find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭tritriagain

When will external competition open and will it be obvious on publicjobs.ie

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Booth23

Just wondering if it’s worth applying. I’m was promoted to EO from the 2020 competition and I’m really unhappy where I am. I gave it a few months to see if I’ll settle in but I’m dreading going into the office every day.

interdepartmental stream said that you have to be a grade below and other requirements. Does this mean that I’ll have to wait for another year and a half till mobility kicks in or can I go for this competition for two streams to see if I can move to another place or even closer to home?

• Advertisement

I did that for over 4 months a few years ago. It eventually took it's toll on my family life too and I left before my contract was up. It's a horrible situation to find yourself in. Apply for the open stream, you have nothing to lose.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Inmate2020

My logic on this is its DEPR and I dont know of any offices around the country try apart from Dublin . So if it’s Nationwide it would be WFH ? So then would every county have equal oppertunity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭blondie007

You can apply for the Open competition once you meet the requirements. Interdepartmental only applies to civil service departments. The HSE definitely holds internal competitions for EO & higher grades for HSE for current HSE employees.

All civil service departments fall under the umbrella of DPER so all counties have various departments eg Revenue, Social Welfare etc. WFH or blended working varies from department to department dependant on structure & type of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cocs

Hi, considering applying for the open competition, have not worked in the civil service yet but have an offer for co. Is that allowed? Is it looked on badly if you do this when just starting the co role? Also was wondering is it a much more difficult role, I work in the private sector at the moment in a supervisory/manager level, at a low level. Any advice of expectations of an eo state would be great. Thank you

Yes, that's allowed. The civil service are used to people moving on & up etc. The EO role varies dependant on department but you have experience at supervisory level so I'm sure you'd have no problem. Go for it would be my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭lisabiscuit

I'm having an issue with the application form. The dates on my employment history keeps disappearing when I scroll up or down. Anyone else having this issue?

You need to put in dd/mm/yyyy. They kept disappearing on me when I put in mm/yyyy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭lisabiscuit

@furrybones Ah! I was just doing month year too. Brilliant, thanks for your help. Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Kurokishi

Is this panel going to be one or two years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭apkmbarry

I've tried to search keywords to find my answer but nothing appeared.

Does anyone know roughly the timeline between applying and being assigned, obviously depending on where you are in merit, but even a rough guide if anyone knows anyone who has been through it. Interested in EO, but wouldn't be available until Christmas-ish time to start, but still interested in throwing my name into the hat.

Moreso just nosiness. Interested in a change, and sure the experience of the application could be helpful for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Inmate2020

I actually never knew that and presumed this role would be policy formation . Cheers for that . I may apply so 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 11 GailliamhAbú2022

If you look up the 2020 campaign (there is a boards page) there are people that applied in 2020 which have only been placed in 2022 . It can take quite some time to be placed depending on you OOM (order of merit). For example in 2020 campaign I believe there was a test which gave you the first OOM they then pulled from this in Batches of people for an etray exercise which then gave you a new OOM and then from this they brought for Interview which updated your OOM. Application process and placement can take quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 GailliamhAbú2022

Does this show the positions for the open stream or just interdepartmental?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pjcpolly

Waterford is probably the best on your list of areas for 2nd choice. I'm in the same boat myself for that area but always choose Waterford.

The mobility map shows the amount of Officers each department is allocated to run efficiently-not the amount of vacancies available I'm afraid. Its to give you an idea of which department may have need of filling vacancies. If a department has only need of 1 EO for example then it's unlikely to be looking for more if you get what I mean. Revenue on the other hand is a large employer- they need more officers so chances are better there as more people move up/retire

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭daffodill50

How far back are folk going with the Employment History section, like back to day 1 jobs or last few years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pjcpolly

It will allow you enter 10 employments so you need to go back as far as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ozzycop

Is the Higher Education Authority (HEA) counted as the civil service? It would be a state agency as opposed to a major department.

The link for the external competition seems to be now invalid. Anyone have an updated link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Hey all - looking for help if possible - read info booklet and still unsure - have 30 years work experience including management roles but only have Level 6 QQI quals and GCSEs as went to school in the UK back in 1991 - am I still eligible to apply?

any help much appreciated thanks

Your best bet is to email PAS outlining your qualifications and they will let you know if you are eligible.

• Advertisement

Thanks - just got a reply from them there asking to check the booklet ha

Well that was a bit useless :/ They are usually very helpful.

Just found the answer there rhidden deeply and from what I can make out looks like will have to go down the Clerical Officer route for a couple of years - on panel so just a waiting game

thanks for your help Furrybones

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Belle23

I wonder have they done away with the verbal and numerical stages, dont they usually use those to filter down the numbers of applicants

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Belle23

I have the same kind of background as yourself, have a year done as a clerical officer now. Its not so bad, if you can manage on the money :-) I can't in this climate, so am applying for this competition in vague hope! Hope you get placed soon!

• Advertisement

thanks - not about the money really can take a hit on it - more about the security really at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Kirbi

No, I don't think so - unless it's a division of D/Health or something, rather than an organisation in its own right. There are a lot of non-civil service state agencies, so that's not much of a signal I'm afraid. If your HR distributed the Interdepartmental competition booklet though, then it's likely that you are a civil servant.

In general, civil servants are the ones listed in a CS Mobility scheme organisation (excepting people on secondment etc.)Those are referenced in the document available here: https://hr.per.gov.ie/en/publications/mobility-contacts/

(However, I can see that the Data Protection Commission isn't listed - probably because its split our from D/Justice was more recent.)

If you're still not sure whether you're a civil servant or not then you should ask your HR unit to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Applied today. Best of luck to all

Likewise may the tests be easy and the OOM short :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pathy

When I applied for the Clerical Officer a few years ago I used a website for practising the numerical and verbal. But I've heard that the tests had changed a bit for the EO in 2020.

Does anyone have a website they'd recommend? I found it good to use the last time

Do you need 3rd level education to apply.?

I have first year accountancy exams vut for different reasons had to leave and get full time employment. Other than that I only have a leaving cert. 5 honors

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mtb_sends

@tritriagain if your leaving cert meets the below requirement you should be fine. You will find this information in part 1(ii) of the eligibility requirements section

"have obtained in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination a minimum of Grade D (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate O6 grade) at Ordinary level in Mathematics and Irish or English, having obtained a minimum of Grade C (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate H4 grade) in at least five subjects at Higher level;"

Thanks a million. I meet the criteria but will I be back of the queue with no degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mtb_sends

@tritriagain your current work experience could be far more beneficial than any degree. I have degrees but they don't come close to having experience, in fact I would love to see ICT roles in particular follow an apprenticeship model because I think the students/apprentices would be better rounded individuals but thats a debate for another day. Give it a whirl you never know what the outcome might be 👍️

Thanks again

Post edited by tritriagain on

• Advertisement
Advertisement