Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speedy Gonzales or Slowpoke Rodriguez?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Ok, re-upping here yet again and intend to post every few days to keep it going.

Mixed bag the last 4 weeks. Had some calf/tendon trouble which was spanner in the works but seem to be over it.

Lost seem fitness but not a disaster.

Going back to base building. Slowly, slowly with controlled weeks building a little every time.

Week structure will look like:

Mon: AM Cycle commute PM Run home 12k

Tue AM run to work 12k PM cycle home

Wed: Session based around 10m pace starting at 20m but building towards 40m running time OR aerobic strides 3 x 6 x 40s with 2-8m fast at end.

Thursday: Easy day potential double

Friday: (Cycle commute x 2) half session eg Hill Sprints or shorter aerobic strides session if doing threshold work on Wed.

Saturday: Session (40-60m) based around M pace

Sunday easy double or cycling.

That's the plan. Lots will be done off-road as great for easing/avoiding muscle tightness and pain and injury prevention.

Weekend just passed was:

Saturday: 2 runs of 65 mins on the faster end of 'easy'

Sunday: 90 mins inc 30m pace. 5-6 Strides (20s) in warmup. Effort was on the grass paths in 40 acres Phoenix park.

Kept the effort even although pace dipped in the second half.

Calves held up and idea was to test them while putting in a continuous effort to prep for 40 min+ efforts to come.

Pace was about 4:15 per km ave (6:53)

I may jump in a parkrun this Saturday to consolidate fitness and prep for the first 20 minute effort, assuming calf agrees.

Session paces (KM,MI)

Monday: AM Cycle to work PM easy run home

Tuesday: PM easy run home AM Cycle to work

Wednesday: 20 mins @ 10 mile pace (12.5',7.5' off 2) about (3:35, 5:45) for 13 mins, then (3:54, 6:16) for 7 mins.

6 x 20s strides before the fast stuff.

Wednesday:

On Sunday I did my 30 min effort very relaxed on grass with a forward lean, just lifting the knees and feet to move forward. Completed most of the run like that. Strides were really good, just a faster version of the Sunday technique and the last 1-2 were quite fast and relaxed.

I started the threshold pace with a slower version of the strides but after 7-8 mins I was feeling it and had gone too fast. Decided I'd spilt the session so as not to blow it so slowed for 2 mins after 12.5 mins (pace here was 4:50/7:45 so fine). Breathing back OK after two so finished off, albeit a significant reduction in pace to keep effort in check. Not that well executed but I'll get a benefit and next weeks will be even. Big eye opener with the technique and there is a big benefit from keeping good relaxed technique for the longer temp runs especially for closing stages. For me at least, it translates into the rest of the running.

Most interesting run was probably Tuesday morning where I tried to run from town towards work with maximum offroad. So new section of cycle path/path from North Strand to Convention centre has plenty of parrallel grass, cobbles to the toll bridge which is not off-road but is ineven (ill explain why that was desirable below). Then it was grass after bridge for a wee bit, through the apartments and into Ringsend Park, Irishtown park and then the beach.

Now the tide was half out which is best because the sand still has moisture and is perfect for running. When the tide is one the way in it has less water, sand is drier and harder and can form into those mine wave formations on Sandymount which are a bit annoying to run on. Stayed on beach all the way to Booterstown Dart (there is a footbridge there). Had to cross a few rivers before that and used the railway wall to get around that and keep the toes dryish. At Booterstown station I jumped the wall on left right outside station and straight onto teh grass in Blackrock Park with grass all the way to Blackrock station. Really enjoyable expedition and you can probbaly run 50% of most commutes in Dublin off road with a little variation in the normal route. Why was I doing this?

Have had tight calfs. The old truism is that if a pain is getting worse while you run then stop running, if its easing then its OK to keep running. I found the tight calves were getting worse so it was looking like a layoff. After a few days i tried an offroad run (inland Bull island). On the uneven surface i noticed that the 'soreness' was only getting hit every 5-6 strides or less and the pain quickly disappeared as the run progressed. So road running meant pain getting worse, off-road/uneven meant pain disappearing. I know from the Kenyan trip (90% of their runs are defacto off-road) that easy running off-road doesnt hurt speed. Infact it may help avoid injury.

Just a tip, if having issues with tightness and perhaps tendons maybe move those runs offroad. No loss in fitness and youll get stronger. (not qualified so usual caveats apply).

Post edited by demfad on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Very interesting about the sand there, I used to live in Ringsend back in 2005 for around year and I often wondered about that in Sandymount and other beaches as to what caused it. Always seemed to be really prevalent there. Never thought to look into it before. Good tips there I think...have been thinking about working some trail and beach running into my own training a bit more as I do get calf issues now and again...which usually lead to Achilles issues if unchecked and then I'm off-road proper in a non running sense.

I only literally checked out the sand stuff after that run and I grew up near a beach on west of Ireland.

On Sandymount when its still damp its really good conditions for a training run. Just to remember to pin the Dublin Tides page somewhere so I am aware of what day might be good etc.

Was running a bit on bull Island inland. No major hills to challenge the calf but constant changing of strides to allow the tight spot to recover. Running on the hard flat stuff sometimes does not help the recovery and I am starting to think it causes problems too (especially for older runners). Anyway, it's worth a try if it means avoiding a layoff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Yeah I'm not too far (just over 5min drive) from Ballyheigue so I do occasional running on it but run mainly on the surrounding roads around my homeplace...only travel further afield really for group runs. That sort of effect doesn't seem to be too prevalent on Ballyheigue but Banna which I'd probably run on as often on can have lots the ripples but now I have the knowledge as to why! I do check the tide times alright, Fenit Pier is what we would would refer to here to give a gauge on the tide times here....not living here long enough to know it intiutively as some others do.

Thursday: 70-75 easy off-road (interior bull island) Calf a little sore after tarmac session yesterday.

Friday: Easy 10km between cycle commute to and fro work (Morn/eve 35 mins each way)

Saturday: New Paths/Cycle paths from Bushy Park heading towards West and back. 6.6km out so about 13km. Picked it up on way back and calf started going after 10km. Reigned pace right back.

Sunday: Session 40 minutes fast. Did it on grass at Clontarf sea front. Averaged roughly (4:10;6:45 pace). No great shakes but object was to get calf through during a controlled session. About 30 min warm up, and 15 min warm down.

Got a basic week in after the recent calf problems. The tarmac session on Wednesday was a mistake but Sunday proved the calf can take sessions on grass: just need more patience. Similar week planned next week.

Post edited by demfad on

Monday: AM- Cycle commute PM-Run home using as much offroad as I could (park, beach, grass fringes). 13k with most offroad. Very easy as calf issue still there since Wednesday session.

Tuesday: Reverse order to yesterday, Run in morning and cycle in evening.

Wednesday: 65 mins mostly grass. Did 4 x 20s very relaxed strides to test calf. OK.

Thursday: Session 20 mins @ 10mi effort. Parked outside Royal Dublin on Bull Island. Warmup up in the interior to get the calf warmed without aggravating. Worked well then 5 x 20s strides all good. Plan was from wooden bridge 10 mins on grass along seafront towards Alfie Byrne Road and 10 back. Into a huge wind I started about 600m closer to Clontarf. Kept it controlled into the wind, pushed it a little more coming back but it was all relaxed and controlled. Pace ave was 4:05, 6:35. Again hard to tarnslate for comparison and I am Ok with that. Effort was right, and ran relaxed=job done.

Friday: 2 x cycle commute Finally got some work done on the calf. Lateral head or thereabouts was very tight (overloaded) which may have been pulling on the insertions. Talking previously with the coach we traced it back to a double block LT session day I did on the hoof. Anyway she worked it out and calf is cured: fingers crossed!

Saturday: Legs were fresh and the easy run was on the 'brisk' side. 65 mins. Out Clontarf and into interior of bull Island and back.

Sunday: Session 50 mins @ pace. Location was Phoenix Park. Lap was 15 and 60acres and the Football pitches across the acres road towards the Magazine forth. That big lap and strides took the full 30 min warmup. In the faster segment had 2 laps completed with 7 mins to go. This last piece was at threshold effort, but me and my calf were free again and I stayed relaxed so all good. Pace for fast bit was exactly 4:20/7 min miles but difficult to translate and solid effort so all good.

Next week will be : Tuesday, 20, 10 @ Threshold and Sunday: 60mins @ the slower pace. I may insert a half session on Friday something like 2 x 6 x 20s. No increases in mileage or double days as yet.

Monday: AM- Cycle commute PM-Run home using as much offroad as I could (park, beach, grass fringes). 13k with most offroad. Easy

Tuesday: Ran into work in morning. Grass was wet so it was tarmac/concrete. Felt good, was moving faster on the hard surface and progressed to the briskish end of easy toward the end. The calf felt it on the last 3km (incline). Initial issue with the calf had happenned during a steady incline on fast run in Phoenix Park. Again, it's just tight and I need to keep it conservative well beyond I am certain the body is strong enough for more.

Wednesday: Session: 30 mins WU 20 + 10 @ 10mile race pace off 5 min jog recovery. 30 mins jog down.

20 min section started at motocross end and heading East on grass section along Clontarf seafront. Tailwind turn at wooden bridge and head back until 20 mins. Last 3 -4 mins I passed a guy and he tried to 'race' me, right behind me breathing like a dying Darth Vader. It was very annoying, so upped it a little until Darth Vader breathing receded. Went over Threshold for those few minutes. The 5 min jog took me all the way back to the motocross. Next 10 mins was good, controlled effort slightly faster than the 20min average (wind behind for all 10) but under the red line this time. Average: 3:57km, 6:21 mile. Up from 4:05km, 6:35mile last week albeit a lot less wind about.

Calf a bit sore after, but soak in very cold Irish sea seems to have calmed it.

Good progress on that session, will be adding only 5 mins to it next week so should start to really bed it in now.

Thursday: Very easy and enjoyable recovery run on trails in Phoenix Park. The legs had done a lot of good work (30 mins) in yesterday's session. Zero point in risking sabotaging those gains with anything other than a run well inside recovery zone (10 min miles in this one) 60+ minutes.

Friday: Diagonals 2 x 10: on soccer pitch striding diagonals and jog ends as recovery between reps. Jog perimeter between sets. Start of slowly adding some faster work on Friday's. Diagonals are a nice way to introduce.

PM 2km jog to and back a relaxing 500m pool swim.

Saturday: 65 mins easy on grass.

Sunday: 60 mins pace run. 30 min WU and 4 strides. 35 WD

Controlled and relaxed throughout. Just upped the last 2 mins. Grass Phoenix Park. Slightly faster a last weeks effort (4:18/6:57). Cool down was honest jog and enjoyable. Great location for this session for me:

Decent grass surface: 👍️

Enjoyable loop: 👍️

Route options to take chore out of warm down: 👍️

Weekly distance: 104km

I am doing standing myrtles and lunge matrix before every run with a few exercises for my calves. Hoping to add Isolated stretching and a few core exercises but generally going in right direction. Weight is coming down and I am utilizing recovery drinks (Kinetica recovery in my case). Full dose after sessions but if I don't have a snack to hand ill take after easier runs or if I still need recovery. Lugging the extra stones around for a few years has been like wearing a natural weight vest. Need to lose the weight but keep the strenght.

• Advertisement

Monday: 75 min recovery run. Plodded around St Anne's following Clontarf 10 mile race. Mick Clohissy won. Shadowed by a French runner all the way. From what I saw with a mile left the French man seemed to be hanging on by the thread, and he was not able to contest Clohissy's winning sprint. Sean Hehir still returning to fitness went out very hard to stay with the leaders and was eventually caught for 3rd place by Mick Fogarty. Women's race was close although the places were decided before the finally half km on the avenue. Dry conditions.

Tuesday: Lunch run in between two cycle commutes. Easy hour+ that included strides in form of 10 diagonals preceded by a very cut down set of drills. Was supposed to be a cycle in/run home day but had to get the run in at lunch and the legs were a bit groggy after the (very easy) cycle thus the unscheduled drills. Did as much freewheeling as possible for the homeward evening cycle.

Wednesday: Session: WU(28) 20 + 15 @ 10mile race pace off 5 min jog recovery. WD (28)

I am rotating locations to avoid racing my previous weeks times. Today's lap was again grass on the two big fields on right after you go in St Anne's Park avenue main gate (second field has loads of pitches and a clubhouse). About 2kms long. I was going down in the more exposed side (tailwind if any) nearest avenue and back up and the sheltered far side. The far side was also sheltered from sunlight and still soft in places underfoot. Tougher coming up that side.

Clear cold morning with freezing fog still floating on grass. Went a bit too hard for first 20mins averaging 3:56/6:20 moderated a little for the 15 with 4:00/6:25. Wasn't over looking forward to this one after I woke but another decent session and on we go.

My weight is starting to come down and I discussed this previously with my coach and we speculated that there might be a bigger improvement visible due to training + weight loss. Starting to feel that's the case. Hopefully the legs will stay strong after carrying that natural "weight vest" for the last few years.

Thursday: Easy recovery on grass Clontarf prom and Bull Island interior (67)

Friday: AM cycle commute to work. (39)

Lunch: 11k inc. half set of drills and 6 x 20s strides (55)

PM cycle commute home. (38)

Saturday: Aerobic Tempo: 30 WU 50 AT 30 WD. AT pace was 4:14, slower pace ave was 4:48 with overall average pace was 4:32.

Difference between fast/slow pace was only 32s/km compared with 70s/km last week. That made the latter half of the run (inc slower section) have a slightly different training effect. So 1hr/50 at a solid pace.

Did it with Jan (who is great company) out in Leixlip. The route was superb and the road quality around those relatively newly built up suburbs is excellent. We trained together in the group in Kenya and our fitness levels at this moment are almost identical. She is talented and getting faster so I will have to keep the weight dropping to keep up!

Sunday: AM Cycle to Howth and back (32km). Bringing cycles as safe second sessions in which I'll have the option of replacing with runs a month or two down the line when I'm 1 million percent solid with mu current volume. Even then volume increases then will be glacially gradual.

PM 2 x 6.5km jogged out to St Annes for family stuff. Jogged back.

Weekly running distance: 102km (last week 104)

(Cycling distance was 80km)

Influenced by Wim Hof doing a good bit of sea swimming (dive in, run out x a few). About 3 swims this week.

Daughter loves the sea too so the extra time justified.

Edit: Just to add doing Lunges and Myrtles before every run and shoulder exercises with band.

Also started doing Assisted Isolated Stretching again which is actually a life saver for older runners.

Post edited by demfad on

Monday: AM Cycle to work Lunch short cycle to gym for some Core and Static stretching.

PM Run home (65). Had pencilled a short session of aerobic strides but body was tired and it was an easy run.

Tuesday: AM Easy run into work (65) and 5 x 20s strides. Feeling better.

PM cycle home (30) feeling OK. Fastest cycle home in recent times.

Wednesday: Session: WU 20 + 20 @ 10mile race pace off 5 min jog recovery. WD

Half drill session and 4 x 20s strides. Paces (3:55, 4:07).

Run was late morning and Easterly had picked up after a still morning. Route was Clontarf seafront so wind was going to be a factor.

Did first 20mins on grass with first half of that into wind towards wooden bridge. Went too hard here into the wind and never really recovered during a tired session. Second 20m was controlled but had switched to tarmac and pace show 12s/km slower which might be closer to 20s/km ie a full gear slower. I ran it relaxed with good form so there is that.

I may need a stepback week but looking back I made a few mistakes this week. After the excellent long run on Saturday I just needed to run two easy days, bank the recovery and adaption and prepare for todays session. Instead I added a cycle on Sunday (which was harder than anticipated due to accursed wind). Added to my normal running on that day it meant it was not a recovery day. I had planned to add a cycle, but that is not the place for it: not yet at least. Sticking with my slow slow growth in volume which is serving me well, I should have just swapped a cycle for an easy run.

On the Monday I added a small core stretching session at lunch. 6km round trip on the bike but as far as the body is concerend it's an extra effort and with the cycle and run that day that made 3. So both days after the long run I was doing extra to what I had been doing and should have done. Got it together on the Tuesday with an easy run in and cycle home.

Today during my warm up I was hitting 4:20s while it felt like jogging. Thought I was going to monster the session. I had planned an early morning session which didn't happen and although I had some porridge I was hungry leading up to the session. Shopping in Lidl after the run forgot my list and bought a trolley load of crap: as in shopping while hungry and buying 6 times what was needed to cure the hunger.

Sign I may have bonked a bit. Anyway, pick an excuse above.

I'll run easy for a couple of days and see how the long run goes. If its sub par again I'll take a step back week. If it's OK, I can chalk today to those few errors and keep the routine going (and learn the lessons).

Thursday: Easy grass(65)

Friday: 2 x cycle commutes (67 total) PM travel to Sligo

Saturday: Aerobic Tempo: 30 WU 60 AT 30 WD. AT pace was 4:16, overall average pace was 4:29.

Difference between fast/slow pace was only 26s/km compared with 32s/km last week and 70 the week before. The hilliest (course was 280m climbed) and windiest was in the AT section. I allowed myself recover after every hill, easing just enough to allow that, and getting back up to speed when recovered. It's a good thing to do because it starts to train you to reuse any lactate. Pushing through without doing that is for the very very very fit, or for races or race specific sessions. Amazing how quickly you adapt by doing that. Makes you very strong. Anyway, happy with the run.

Sunday: AM Hill walk up Sliabh Da Ean to suss out a potential hill race route. Great job done in Sligo way to get you close to Sliabh Da Ean. The off-road open mountain part is tough and rough though. Amazing little section of the ox mountains. Looks pretty tamed from outside but there are 4-5 peaks with relatively deep hidden valleys between, raven echoes and all of a sudden it's pretty wild.

PM Easy off-road along coast near Strandhill. (68)

(7hrs 44 running/2hrs 30 cycling/1hr30 swimming)

Monday: Off-road Coastal run but this time ventured up the steps of Strandhill-Knocknarea route. Did 5 x 20s strides after. (68).

Tuesday: Session Plan: WU 20 @ 10 mile pace + 4 x 5 mins a bit faster off (5 min, 3 mins jog recoveries). WD

Actual: WU 20 @ 3:56 + 1 x 5min @ 3:44, 1 x 2mins @ 3:42 (WD of sorts making my escape jogging to/from Dart)

The calf, the calf the calf. Was reminiscing during the (too short) warmup that I hadn't done a faster session on road in ages. I was about to be reminded of the reason as my calf tightened again and I decided to abandon before damage was done. Apart from that found it hard to get the effort levels up for the first twenty minutes. I wondered about it and checked back after and my HR was barely averaging in the AT zone never mind AnT. Had upped it for the first 5 mins and was upping it for the second before my calf started giving out.

Wednesday: 

Rest Day

Thursday: Easy recovery on grass Clontarf prom and Bull Island interior (65) (grass)

Friday: Easy Phoenix Park (65)

Included 5 x 20s strides.

Had planned to do my AT session with Jan again (30-40-30) but my calf was iffy after the strides. The session would have to be off the tarmac so had to change the plans.

Saturday: Aerobic Tempo: 30 WU 40 AT 30 WD. AT pace was 4:09, with overall average pace was 4:31. All on grass. AT section on big loop between 15 acres and the bigger acres area around Papal cross.

Difference between fast/slow pace was only 36s/km. Calf started shouting at 25mins. I eased the pace slightly and walked the line to get the session done, delighted to have done so. Starting to feel the benefits of this session.

Sunday: AM Cycle over Dublin Hills (40km/1hr50).

6hrs20 run 2hrs cycling.

Just a few notes:

The longer cycle has made the daily commute cycles a lot easier. Longer recruits (turns on) more fibre bundles (for cycling) meaning more available for the easier cycles. Same as an easy long run makes the daily bog standard run easier and the volume of easy running allows a longer long run and then a better quality long run. I wanted to add cycling for several reasons: weight loss, strenght, commute time. But even one longer weekend runs greatly helps make that commute cycle easier and/or gives you a couple of easier gears reducing the 'adaption' time until any cycling fatigue disapears and the training adaptions is back fully on running.

Doing my runs on grass and trail has really opened my eyes. The balancing and stabilizing muscles are stronger. The supporting muscled are stronger so less muscle strenght imbalance. More forgiving so less muscles pain/tightness. Put it this way: what I saw in Kenya was every easy run done on rough, off-tarmac hilly terrain. Every 100km I was racking up around 1000m in climbing on 'normal' runs without any specific hill sessions (bar one session of hill sprints).

For the time strapped amateur runner which makes more sense: Running every day on flat tarmac/concrete with the ensuing weaknesses requiring supplementary 'fixing' exercises that we will do half assed if at all or

Running everyday offroad not avoiding hilly terrain (or even seeking it out), the resultant strenght etc. making the supplementary work redundant?

Post edited by demfad on

Monday: Morning/Evening Bike Commute (commute = 12k each way): Lunch 12k mainly grass taking in Killiney Hill

Tuesday: 65 Easy Cabinteely Park-grass. Morning/Evening Bike Commute

Wednesday: WU 20,10, 2 x 5 mins (5 min, 3 mins jog recoveries) WD

(6:01min/mile, 6:20, 5:58, 5:59).

St Anness Football fields on grass.

Good progress on last session (ave 10s/km-15s/mile quicker).

Went out hardish in the first one and steadied. Although it was under control I felt terrible after and decided I would keep the next rep, a 10 min effort, controlled in generally the correct effort zone. Slower but not bothered. Picked it comfortably up for last two 5m legs both dipping under 6min/miles. All good.

Thursday: Easy hillly run on mainly grass taking in Flagstaff and Killiney hill summits. (65)

Morning/Evening Bike Commute (commute = 12k each way)

Friday: Grassy, hilly run taking in grassy climbs in Cabinteely park. Also 4 x uphill, downhill, flat strides (20s each, all relaxed)

Morning/Evening Bike Commute

Saturday: 15 x 1min (off 1 min easy) ave was 3:31 pace (reps 3:15). Average for 30 mins was 4:06.

Polo grounds, grass. Good session, mentally broke the 15 into 3 * 5). Picked it up on last 2.

Sunday: AM Cycle over Dublin Hills (42km/1hr55).

85km running and 140km cycling. The change this week was hillier easy runs and double cycling commutes on 4 days this week. I am fit enough to o very very easy on these now so able to vary them to ensure only a slight increase in overall physical stress of week.

Rest week coming up with a 10km Sunday. Haven't had a race (where i was half fit) in 4 years. Looking forward to it.

Monday: Easy 35mins grass

Tuesday: 55 easy inc 5 x 20s

Wednesday: WU 8 x 45s @ 5k pace WD (55m)

ave (3:11)

A bit jittery and restless this week during compensation/easy week. Today's average was way way faster than my current 5k pace. A few jogs and a few strides (Friday) before a 10k race on Sunday and back to training after.

Thursday: 45m Easy

Friday: 45m easy inc 5 x 20s strides

Saturday: 35m jog

Sunday: Fastlane 10k. 36.21

Had this pegged as a first proper race since coming back running from the long layoff. In my mind was hoping to go sub 36.

The course was based on the Grand canal, Adamstown area, going East for 4k (3k on canal tow path) then south on Adamstown road, before a couple of kilometers West on Nangor Road, a kilometer back North to connect to the Canal again with a final mile more or less on the canal heading West.

From looking at previous runs on Strava I could see that the second half was faster than the first with the last 3k net downhill and usually downwind. The 5th kilometer on Adamstown road was exposed into the prevailing wind on a normal day and Sunday morning was a normal enough day.

Kilometer 1-4: 3:35, 3:38, 3:39, 3:42. With my training being based around AT and LT paces my tactics were going to be to hold tight 'til the last 3k and then try and crank it up. I reasoned I wouldn't be able to run much more than that with high intensity. Off we went, and 3 lads start fastish at the front. I could stay with them but it's a little fast, so I hang and form a chasing group of 4-5. This feels very comfortable, although with the sensation that the Kms are taking ages to pass that you get from not racing for a while. At 3km we climb to cross the canal over a twistey bridge. KM 4 is 2 sides of a square that brings us onto Adamstown road.

Kilometer 5-7: 3:43, 3:34, 3:36

We emerge onto Adamstown road which immediately rises to climb back over the canal. I am disappointed here to find we are running on the cycle path at footpath level and not on the smoother pavement. I get some shelter off the group here for a slow 3:43 km. Turning back onto Nangor road and the wind becomes our friend. I am feeling good and against my plans I take to the front and push stretching the group out. Into Km 7 and one of the other guys takes the lead and I am already regretting my bit of impetiousness as my effort has spiked with a long way to go. We are climbing on and off the cycle lane at roundabouts and over grass verges which isn't helping me too much. Hanging on a bit now.

Kilometer 8-10: 3:38, 3:44, 3:41

Turning onto Grange Castle road towards the canal for what should be a fastest km I get gapped by 3 of the group. At the same time the remaining group member falls back, so I am in no mans land. I don't really fight and run it in solid but not a race finish effort to record 36.24.

Not what I was hoping but first race back and something to build on. Writing this the day after I feel I wont need too much recovery. Interestingly I felt super strong in the the cycle in this morning. With the supercompensation week and the development race...will be interesting to see how the running training pans out in the couple of weeks ahead.

Post edited by demfad on

Monday 23/05 - 11k running, 12k cycling

• AM: cycle commute 12k
    • PM: 11k on grass and over Killiney hill.

Legs felt great after yesterdays race and let them have their way with a strong effort.

Tuesday 24/05 - 12k running, 12k cycling

• AM: 12k @ 4:23 m/km
    • PM: cycle commute 12k

Legs still feeling super again so let them go again: this time at a steady effort mainly uphill in seconf half.

Wednesday 25/05 - 13.5k running, 30k cycling, 5k hiking

• AM: 13.5 k @ run
    • 30k cycle out and back to watch Howth IMRA race.

Another day, and legs feel great again hence another steady run. Given the pleasant evening, later decided to cycle and watch the IMRA Howth race. Well over 550m climbing in a 10k race! Impromptu marshalling/demarking duties meant I covered a hilly 5k fast hiking.

Thursday 26/05

Rest

Friday 27/05 - 13.5k running, 30k cycling

• AM: 13.5 k @ run
    • 30k cycle commute

Feeling good and steady again around Killiney/Dalkey hill with 5 x 20s strides included near end.

Saturday 28/05 - Long 23km: 30' Up/Down 40' @ 3:59

Ran with J today out in Leixlip. Under control and we were chatting all the way. Went through the HM mark only a few minutes slower than a HM race I ran late last year. Good sign.

Sunday 29/05 - 7.5k trail run sandwiched in a 35k cycle.

Having a gander around Bohernabreena reservoir for some flat trail, hill and combo session possibilities. Glenasmole is a bit of a hidden gem.

Weekly Kilometers: 82k running, 120k cycling (6hr15, 6hr03)

(Format stolen from Jebuz)

• Advertisement

Monday 30 May: 

Aerobic hill strides 3 x 6 x 15' on treadmill

Re-adding the hills to the week as injuries seem to be cleared. Did a strong uphill 3min as part of good outdoor warmup to make sure the body was ready. Session on treadmill for some control. Format similar to the John Kellogg aerobic strides sessions (3 x 6 x 14-40' with occasional hard longer rep to finish).

15 was gradient and speed was 13kph. As well as developing speed, getting the leg muscles activated and heart pounding I also wanted to start building some uphill muscular endurance. Legs were jelly-ish on last rep so job done all round.

12km total. Cycle commute 35m each way (25km tot cycling)

Tuesday: 

12 km easy. A bit of a climb in Killiney over the right of way on golf course (the right of way across a fairway). Leg muscles felt fatigued from yesterdays hills so had to make sure it was easy.

Cycle commute each way.

Wednesday: 

WU 20" + 4 x 5" WD (off 5", 3") on grass

(3:43 for 20) (3:40,43,44,41)

With a little fatigue I was fearing this one but delighted with outcome. Decided that executing it right should see me right even with a little fatigue so I focussed on that.

Slow incremental warmup, incrementally faster good quality strides.

Then concentrating on having the entire session in mind when pacing. So I pace the 20" knowing that 4 x 5 must be possible after at a slightly harder effort. (potentially 5 x 5 really as there should be one more possible).

I didn't race the 20", I ran 'through' the 20 min time if that makes sense. No hanging on, dying, racing each rep. Aiming for a constant output.

I brought that view into the 4 x 5": relaxing and just focussing on my legs pushing a constant output. I hadn't really done that before and it made the session a lot easier. No worrying about 'general feeling' (which can sometimes be demoralizing if not feeling great). Just focussing on a constant output from legs and keeping relaxed and decent posture everywhere else. The rep times vary by a few seconds, but this was due to being on different parts of the loop and hand on heart they were all identical. Best session I have done in a long time and the 'Super base' that the coach has me following is starting to bear fruit now.

Thursday

AM easy 65 mins, clontarf sea front and some Bull Island interior.

PM easy 50, Clontarf seafront.

Volume now is two activities a day, except the two session days. I am counting the double cycle commute as one activity.

Had planned a cycle for Thursday evening but the rain put paid and ran instead. The cycling has come on a great deal due to the few weekend outings. To have the commutes useful from the training POV (even recovery) they must be taken at a much greater pace now. That means fitter, stronger legs.

From next week, weekly template now like:

Monday: 65 min run inc hill sprints (2 x cycle commute)

Tuesday: 65 min run (2 x cycle commute)

Wednesday: Session based around 10mi pace. Usually circa 40 mins of work.

Thursday: AM 65 min run, PM 40 min run

Friday: Tuesday: 65 min run inc 5 x 20s strides (2 x cycle commute)

Saturday: Session based around Aerobic Threshold (ish) pace. 40,50,60 mins work alternating weekly with 30 min WU, WD.

Sunday: Hilly cycle (2hrs but increasing weekly).

Friday 03/06 - 10k

A little tired, so just 10k on grass

Saturday - Long 25km: 30' Up/Down 50' @ 3:59

Ran with J and Stevie today in Leixlip again. Hoping I wasn't still tired from yesterday. Legs felt funny and never felt like they were fully warmed up until late in the sesh. Had that feeling before when getting fitter: legs are getting stronger and these sub-threshold runs use a lower amount of the available power now. That's what I think in hindsight anyway. Under control, same pace as last week for the 40' but 10' more today and a good deal windier . Made sure the effort was based on aerobic threshold and a HR check after the event shows HR only flickered within 5 beats of that late in the effort on a steep hill. Had in mind to run through the 50' time rather than use it as a finish line. That was today's mind trick to keep the intensity right. Nothing sensational, but steady progress.

Saturday PM:

Recovery of a cycle to gym, some core work, lunges etc, a short swim and cycle back. Felt better after.

Sunday - 2hr hilly run

Planned weekly road cycle postponed due to the evil soaking drizzle that descended on the land.

Easy run instead. The recovery meant I had minimal after effects from yesterdays session. Very easy pace road from Rathfarnham up to Hellfire and an hour easy around there before coming back. Took two hours but effort was so easy it wasn't what you'd consider a two hour run. Good to get it done though.

Weekly Kilometers: 116k running, 120k cycling (10hr11, 2hr23, other 40'')

Elevation gain: 892m

Monday 6/6/22 8.5km running 32km cycling.

AM Cycle up to Howth summit and back. About 32km. Easy and enjoyable.

PM 3 x 6 x 15s uphill aerobic strides on treadmill. Rec. was 45s and 3 mins between sets. Grade 15%. Pace 12kph for fast recovery was 5kph same gradient and 6%, 8kph for the 3 mins.

Adjusted by easing it down to 12kph from last week which i found tiring. Will slowly progress this by extending time at that pace. 8.5km and 330m ascent.

Tuesday: 12km running 25km cycling commutes

Easy run. Enjoyable. Feeling pretty good.

Wednesday 8/6/22:  WU 8 x 5" WD (24km)

(off 3") on grass (Polo grounds, Phoenix Park)

(4:01, 3:48, 4:11, 4:05, 3:58, 3:48, 3:48, 3:30)

A little tired and development race in 72 hrs (10 miler Saturday) so eased into it by feel. Improved a lot after halfway with reps getting progressively faster.

PM Easy An hour of hot yoga (hatha flow) easy cycle to and fro.

Friday 11/06 - Easy + 6 x 15s Strides (8.5km)

Easy was outside, strides were treadmill. Strides: 3 uphill @ 10%, 3 flat

Saturday - Race Glenmore 10 miler: 63mins

Report to follow

Sunday - Cycle 90 mins, 14km recovery running, Pool splash, Yoga

Pushing a lot of blood through the body to flush it out and accelerate recovery. With hilly nature of race tiredness generally not bad, but more local to legs.

Glenmore 10 miler.

Had flagged this as a development race that might help with strenght and building the aerobic fitness. Had the good news during the week that my training partner J, who is an excellent female competitor, would be joining me. I holiday up in that area and road run in Glenmore often. It's the valley between both ranges of the Cooley's with the Windy Gap separating the two ranges way up at the top of the valley. The route started at a local national school, race HQ. It went down valley for 3km, then straightened and turned up for a bit of a monster 5km climb with a flattish 1km in the middle there. Then it was undulations but with a net downhill, then a final climb up to the Long Woman's Grave (megalithic tomb at the windy gap), before turning back down for 6km downhill to the finish. A tough course.

As it was a development race the idea would be to only go to the well near the end of the race if at all. This would provide a powerful a powerful stimulus to fitness with the hilly nature providing local muscular strenght/endurance to the legs and with the profile guaranteeing a fast finish on tired legs.

Plan was therefore to get to the top of the climb and to the Long Woman's Grave to be able to run the remainder fast.

Off we went and two lads immediately broke off the front down the hill. Their pace was too quick and I don't think we even considered chasing. Given the fast downhill it was difficult to rain the pace in and I made a slight mistake moving to the front of a group of 4. I remembered we were turning in a while into a breeze for a Km but the two boys behind were happy with the shelter but it did affect the pace for that one. Didn't make much odds anyway. After 3km we turned for the climb which would start gradual and quickly get moderately steep.

Km 1-3: 3:29, 3:33, 3:44. Elevation -93m

Up we started to climb and one of the lads behind started pushing ahead up the hill with the second falling back. We stuck to our plan and our own pacing. The guy ahead had long powerful strides and was climbing very well indeed. We reached the mezzanine km half way up and he had a bit of time on us. We then started part two of the climb and this got steep again and went up and up and up. Mercifully it ended and we were onto the undulating section.

Km 4-8: 4:06, 4:40, 4:04, 4:38, 4:24. Elevation +155m

I enjoyed the undulations, steep ups and downs on good road, although running down gave the optical allusion that the subsequent up was a mini Everest. The last climb to the Windy Gap was the steepest with a sharp right into a horrible wind. Atleast we were finally heading down! 3rd place guy had not increased his lead.

KM 9-11: 4:03, 3:47, 3:56.

Last section was solid. We ran it in in a controlled way. 3rd place guy pushed to hold his lead. The first km "down" actually had a drag that I didn't remember which brought the breathing over threshold for a minute or so before settling back into the relaxed but hardish effort to close it out. J had enough of my chatter and took off during the second last km. I chased her to keep her honest and came in 3 seconds back.

KM 12-16 and part of 17: 3:48, 3:51, 3:43, 3:41, 3:29, (3:13 last 120m).

Very happy with the race. As long as I take the recovery it will bring me on no doubt. We could have kept going for another 10-15 minutes without the pickup at the end. Good spread afterwards and I got an age group prize as the first in my age category was 3rd overall. A good race to consider and a great training route too if anyone up in that neck. Twi circuits would make a very good Lydiard style long run.

Over and out.

Monday 13/6/22 11.5km running 25km cycling.

Cycle=2 x commute

Lunch: Run, Killiney area with some climbing (120m): easy effort 11.5k

Tuesday: 12.5km running 25km cycling commutes

Cycle=2 x commute

Lunch: Run, Killiney area with some climbing (220m): easy effort 12.5k

Wednesday: 

Short easy Progression run on threadmill: 10kph-17kph (6k)

Increments of .5 kph every couple of mins. The faster parts of this short progression run felt relatively easy. The strenght gained from the recent 10 mile race was the cause I guess.

Noticed that around 150 bpm and (15-15.5 kph on this treadmill) my breath quickened marking (I believe) first ventilatory threshold or AeT.

That feels about right: my longer weekend efforts are in that range: can manage full sentences etc.

This run also served as a test to see if I was ready for a session tomorrow: ready.

Thursday

WU 10 x 4" WD (off 3") on grass

Didn't feel that comfortable and made a mistake in 5th showing in hindsight HR exceeded LT (mins is 195).

That made the reps that followed harder although the averages in HR terms show below LT.

Tough session physically and mentally and glad its behind!

Next week is 10 x 3mins off 3mins. Will keep on grass and maybe move to a faster surface when i can really crank the pace up.

PM Hot Yoga

75 min session. Hot day and this was tough especially after 60 mins. Luckily the remaining sessions were sitting down and I did my own for of posing for these. 😉

Friday

2 x cycling commute. Happy to leave it at that.

Saturday

13k easy then nipped into the gym for 6 hills prints @ grade 15% in prep for tomorrows Great Ireland Trail Race in Clonmel.

Sunday

Great Ireland Trail Race in Clonmel. Report to follow.

Great Irish Trail Race

10.6km with 635 climbing

(actual 10.1km with 570m climbing).

This was a practice race for the World Masters Mountain Running Champs in Clonmel in Setember. Race centre was a sports club in South Clonmel. Exact same course/procedure a complete dry run for the organisers. Waves were 1. W55 and up- 2. M55 and up- 3. W45 and W55- 4. M45 and M55- 5. W35 and W40- 6. M35 and M40

Waves to start 15 mins apart (starting from 12pm). Once you are in your corral you stay in (15-20 min before race start).

I was in Wave 4 starting 1pm. About 20-30 in the corral and my warm up want sufficient, but ill fix that for next time.

When the time came a steward led us from the Corral down onto a road. Race started and off we went. I knew there was a severe climb up a boreen after half a kilometer and we wouldn't top out till after 10 mins so I held back on this section. A runner pushed ahead here and I settled into the second group. As the climb started I found myself ahead of this chasing group and trying to keep the effort under the red line. Slowly we pulled the lead runner back and swallowed him up. After another few minutes I only heard one set up steps close behind. As the gardient eased (still up and the surface changed to offroad path I sensed the runner try to pass). I accelerated a bit as I wanted to have a clear view ahead of the upcoming descent. Down we started to go, the surface was okish. With a hillrunning background I expected to put time into the pursuing runner. I managed to get a few seconds here and there but everytime the surface improved he came back.

Eventually it levelled off on good fireroad and started to climb. I had looked at the route and this felt too early, but I thought maybe we would go down more after a minute or so. That didn't happen, the runner behind shaped to pass and did and took off like the proverbial hot one.

When he was about 20s ahead he shouted back wondering if we had gone wrong. I advised him to keep going a little longer. Sure enough we eventually hit marshalls and they started us on another climb up.

Lost sight of the leader at this stage and regained a view of him when the vista opened to open mountain.

This involved 3 moderate climbs on open tops with varying descents eventually finishing at a summit cross overlooking Clonmel.

I kept the entire run under LT and eased over the last half km finishing just over a minute behind the first place guy. There was a huge gap back to third.

I was very happy indeed running just over 50mins (About 90s short of the fastest time of the whole day) but a look at Strava later showed a wrong turn with half km less run and 60m less climbed.

I calculated this made my run 3m 30s short and emailed the organizers mainly to let them know incase there was an issue with marking. There was only a prize for category winner and neither me nor anyone else was catching the guy ahead so no issue there really.

Was happy with my fitness but glad I got the true time as my training will be more focussed now. Weight loss, improving climbing and descending and endurance all need big work. There is time though and an invaluable recce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Ive actually been toying with the idea of running some IMRA races over the coming months but a little apprehensive about it all...mainly 1. Being a complete novice to it all and 2. Terrible sense of direction although I've heard that the league races are mostly well marshalled or marked out. There something very very enticing about racing across different terrain with some monster hills and zero thoughts of pbs or anything like that. I wasn't a huge fan of XC but the mountain/trail running just seems more attractive. What do you reckon?

Monday 20/6/22 12km running 12km cycling.

AM Cycle commute 12km

PM Run home 12km easy

Tuesday: 21km running 12km cycle commute

AM 13km easy run

Lunch: 40m easy, 8km

PM Cycle commute 12km

Wednesday: 16km

Not ready for a session yet after Sundays race.

Easy run 13km from a gym with an easy 3km total jog to/fro gym.

Thursday

WU 10 x 3" WD (off 3" steady recovery) , road, N11/Vico/Coast towards Dublin

Wasn't fancying this but settled on doing it as Fartlek on a nice enjoyable albeit hilly route.

Warm muggy evening but was hoping some of the Hot Yoga adaptions might kick in.

Average for fast reps: 3:44 (range 3:31-4:37)

Average Slow reps: 4:37 (range 3:57-5:40)

PM Hot Yoga

Nearly died.

Friday 12km

12km recovery Jog.

Saturday 12km

8k easy followed by 8 x 8-10s hill sprints: 16kph @ grade 15% in prep for hill run tomorrow. Quads like jelly after.

Sunday

2 hr hillrun in the company of two serious International mountain runners. Neither were 100% thankfully.

Started at Kilmashogue, went up the Tarmac Kilmashogue lane, all the way up. One of the guys knew a nice grass path from there back onto the Wicklow Way. My quads were feeling the climb which was half the point of the hill sprints: Get the benefit from hill sprints and make today more about muscular endurance.

Down WW and onto Glencullen road or Pine forest road, whatever its called. Onto Wicklow way and up in direction of Prince Williams Seat. Climbing easy and chatty. Turned after an hour and we decided to push the steep climb back from Pine Forest Road to Wicklow way.

One opened a decent gap on me the second a medium decent gap. There was a Strava segment there. We stopped before it but my time was slightly slower but the two lads would have smashed it. Fatigue came right on my quads. Perfect.

Run the fireroad back down to the carpark and job done. Solid week.

116k for week running, 1025m climbed running

Post edited by demfad on

It's worth exploring: It will enrich your running experience and you'll plug into a new network/subculture of running folk.

I would start with a trail race if possible as it compliments the road running better and is less technical for a first foray. You'll be able to hit a good heart rate coming down.

When I am training anything at 10-12% grade or below will directly help my flat running. 10% is the sweet spot between both IMO. Anything steeper helps but it might take a flat session/leg speed session or two to off set. Trail race be grand though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Rookie question but what's the difference between a trail race and an iMRA event?

Advertisement