Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice needed on external 3G/4G antenna

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

I tried to copy and paste that but got 404 blank page ,am I doing something wrong?

the cell number was totally different

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Likely your router IP is different than in the line. Find your router IP, update the line, try again. Default i think was 192.168.8.1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My brother purchased a B818 last week and is in the process of installing it, the IP for his is 192.168.8.1

Briefly looking thru the settings last week I seem to recall the cell id can be found under settings.

We hope to install it using a P60 antenna this week once the weather clears up.

Post edited by The Cush on

Hope you didnt skip the antenna connector check, SMA vs TS9

• Advertisement

Will do, he's 16.5 Kms from the mast - Cullen Hill in S. Tipperary - , quiet a distance but looks like the only one available. There are closer masts at 4, 8.25 and 9.25 kms not available to him.

Did an initial test on Friday but had to dismount it again as the mount, purchased from satworld, was inadequately welded and was flexing under the mast, had to be rewelded and reprotected. Hoping to get at it tomorrow afternoon.

Initial signal figures weren't great considering the distance but the download figures were impressive - approx 60 Mbps down, when comparing it to our current WISP's up to 5 Mbps down. Our WISP is ceasing their wireless service at the end of June.

Up and running.

A bit of background, my brother lives in a difficult mobile signal area, uses a Stelladoradus 900 MHz mobile repeater for voice calls inside the house (3g data only). As mentioned above our WISP is shutting down at the end of June due to NBI's advancing fibre rollout (not around here unfortunately until 2025/26). So an interim solution is required.

Huawei B818 router & P60 antenna (on 3m pole) installed this week.

4 potential mobile sites identified on Siteviewer at 16.5, 8.3, 9.25 and 3 kms.

During testing the best mast on the highest band was at 8.3 kms with the figures below. Getting approx 130 Mbps down (on 5 GHz WiFi) and 60-75 Mbps on 2.4 GHz. The antenna is pointing at the roof of a neighbouring house, surrounded by trees, direct line to the mast (via Google maps).

The local mast connects on B1/B3 but the figures were less stable due to terrain. The mast at 16.5 Kms we were receiving approx up to 15 Mbps on B20/B28. The 9.25 km mast was connecting on B3, speed ?.

Without the directional antennas we wound not be getting these figures. A big improvement on the current up to 5 Mbps WISP.

Post edited by The Cush on

Nice achievement.

Why Eir if dont mind me asking?

I see GUI on yours firmware actually display Band - not shown on neither units of mine (v10.0.2.2 and v10.0.3.0)

For me(on Three, ~4km) connection work better on B3, B1 second, B20 bad, B7 below floor

€10 GoMo to be specific, he has 2 of the GoMo sims from the start, was using 1 of them in work up to recently, repurposed to home for now.

• Advertisement

As long data limit not an issue. With speed increase usage will too.

He's aware of that, doing speed tests on 5 ghz was consuming about 250 meg each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Apologies for reopening an old thread but thought it better then to start a new one. I am off work next week and I have decided that I want to install an outdoor aerial in an attempt to boost my mobile broadband signal.

I am with eir and have a Huawei B628-625 router I tend to get a download speed of 10 - 15mbs with a ping of 30 to 40 and an upload speed of roughly 10mbs. Not due to get ftth with NBI until 2024 so want to see if I can get a faster speed with my current set up.

I live in a rural part of Cavan and from looking at the Siteviewer map there are 3 locations where there are Eir/Meteor masts. They are all more or less the same distance from my house (roughly 3km).

Could somebody direct me to a website or video tutorials (or even from their own experience) of how i go about choosing the correct external aerial and pole and fittings, where to position it (chimney, roof etc) and how do I determine how to choose the best mast? I presume I will have to go into the admin settings of the router and make changes. Currently the router is in my bedroom as that is where I have found the best signal. Thanks in advance.

Would suggest to read from page 1 - good info and tips/links all along, but even this page(15) alone has all that it takes

3km distance should be very doable, but i'll stick * here😊

Iskra P60 on the gable wall or chimney. note: no more than 10m cables, so most likely will need to relocate your router upstairs/attic (power, Ethernet)

Using Siteviewer and G maps determine mast location/direction, point antenna there.

Once connected, antenna should be recognized by router, but in settings can enforce.

Thereafter, just testing and adjusting if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭shmeee

Hi all,

Any reason why a mast isn't showing up on Cellmapper but is on ComReg SiteViewr? Not updated by anyone? Just trying to work out the band of the tower across the valley that I am aiming towards. Presume its band 3 or 20 judging from other masts in the same area on Cellmapper. Router currently set to band 20 and viewable via view-source:http://192.168.8.1/api/device/signal

And the Cell Identifier 816902 on the only close mast on cellmapper is the same cell identifier on the router; <cell_id>816902</cell_id>

So I am connecting to that mast then and not the mast across the valley? In process of getting an antenna and trying to dot my i's first with as much info as possible so I aim in the correct direction.

*Three sim - router b535

Thanks.

Celmapper is based on info provided by users like you and me - install app, run it, check in a day or two

As per router metrics, you are on cell 816902 and it serve B20,

Mast(eNB ID) has several cells and they serve different bands

As per other thread, your speed might change depending on what mast or even band(cell) on same mast you are connected at given time. Other factors remain in effect

Thank you, it's connecting to a mast 1km away from me if comparing cellmapper data to the router device info - so I can take it that's what mast I'm working off at present? The mast isn't on Comreg SiteViewer, so un-sure. Going to take a spin down road later and see what it is that's marked on cellmapper and go from there.

Would changing to band 3 be an option from band 20? No admin access on the router so presume I need to run a script of some sort (tried a few scripts but failed) or 3rd party app as mentioned on this thread.

Mast on Cellmapper - 3191 on right.

Not seen on SiteViewer, should be to the right of Clodiagh Church. But mast bottom left it the one I have clear line of sight to - 3 miles away.

Cellmapper show real eNB and cell id's, you can verify on your router/phone

Commreg nomenclature is different - same masts, but no match to numbers/lack of other info. Commreg map could be out of date, however, cellmapper might missplace eNB's if not enough data about it(red outline vs green outline - those are confirmed location). see site next to Tullagher(NW) on commreg - potential location for 3191

if you click on eNB tag on callmapper map, it will display relevant info on the left pane related to known cells on it

you can attempt to force specific band(not cell) with LTE H-monitor, i think it support B535.

Hi, yes - thanks for that.

I think the 3191 one site is the Tullagher(NW) mast (the one I can clearly see in line of sight) and that's the one I'm picking up. As my router info doesn't match any of the info on Inistioge(S) mast - very unlikely it is picking that up. And did test with GoMo on Cellmapper and giving that location also and no sign of Tullagher(NW) mast on it which has Eir. And as you said, could be just misplaced on Cellmapper. And even from look around where Cellmapper have the mast, it's a field with an odd house and farm etc. No obvious mast to be seen.

You find out how easy FTTH is now when your at this crack.

Thanks again, excellent knowledge.

You might be surprised where mobile "towers" are located - i've seen on the high voltage line pylon

Yours Tullagher in the forest/bushes

• Advertisement

Ya, I can see the Tullagher one from the house, she's massive on top of the hill. Direct line from front of house. Zoomed into it on Google maps also to make sure the comreg location was correct and it was bang on. Drove up to within a 100m's of the location of the near by mast on Cellmapper earlier and only a big shed of some sorts and taught maybe a mast attached to side of it etc but nothing obvious to be seen, or hidden in a near by tree. Again weather was awful so wasn't hanging about. So mapping error seems obvious on the Cellmapper location.

Advertisement