Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice needed on external 3G/4G antenna

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bocking 14

I want to improve the 4G signal strength in my house with Three Ireland. My phone can get 1-2 bars of 4G on an external windowsill and I tether my MacBook to it.

I'm moving house soon so don't want to do a hard install of an antenna to a mast. I also will want to use a signal booster in a camper van.

The devices I've looked at are:

For home and mobile use (I'd have to use my phone SIM in this device)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kuma-Pocket-WiFi-Sim-Hotspot/dp/B072Q54BNX/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=4g+lte+mobile+phone+signal+booster+kit+for+campervan&qid=1612993453&sr=8-2

For home use only(no sim required):

https://boostersdirect.com/product/pro-mobile-booster-voice-and-4g-lte-300-sqm/

There's a significant price difference-has anyone used either?

Does the Three Ireland network work on 800/1800 frequencies?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

I have one of these in my attic using Vodafone connected to a Vodafone B528, Last month i used 1.4 TB of Data via 3 work supplied 500 gb SIMS..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C1DGGKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭pms7

Bocking 14 wrote: »
    I want to improve the 4G signal strength in my house with Three Ireland. My phone can get 1-2 bars of 4G on an external windowsill and I tether my MacBook to it.

I'm moving house soon so don't want to do a hard install of an antenna to a mast. I also will want to use a signal booster in a camper van.

The devices I've looked at are:

For home and mobile use (I'd have to use my phone SIM in this device)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kuma-Pocket-WiFi-Sim-Hotspot/dp/B072Q54BNX/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=4g+lte+mobile+phone+signal+booster+kit+for+campervan&qid=1612993453&sr=8-2

For home use only(no sim required):

https://boostersdirect.com/product/pro-mobile-booster-voice-and-4g-lte-300-sqm/

There's a significant price difference-has anyone used either?

Does the Three Ireland network work on 800/1800 frequencies?

Thanks in advance.

Read reviews on first one.
    I'd recommend external aerial, could be mounted inside window facing right direction https://www.novatel.ie/9dbi-cross-polarised-high-gain-outdoor-lte-panel-antenna-xpol-2
    plus router with correct aerial connections, will need to insert sim card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Does Vodafone 4g run on 1800mhz?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes, and 800Mhz. If you're buying gear in 2021 you really want to support B3 + B20 at a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Thanks I've been looking online my phone reception in house is fine but my 4g is very slow..

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

Hi all,

Sorry that this is not relevant, but I’m looking for anyone that has an old Vodafone 4G router that they are not using?

My house went on fire Thursday and I have no Wifi, so looking to get hold of one asap. I am willing to pay for it and postage.

Please message me if you know of anyone that has one they’re no longer using, I’d really appreciate it!

Hi all,

Sorry that this is not relevant, but I’m looking for anyone that has an old Vodafone 4G router that they are not using?

My house went on fire Thursday and I have no Wifi, so looking to get hold of one asap. I am willing to pay for it and postage.

Please message me if you know of anyone that has one they’re no longer using, I’d really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Ditzie wrote: »
    Hi all,

House fire a few days ago and getting internet access is a priority ? Must have been a small fire.

TimHorton wrote: »
    House fire a few days ago and getting internet access is a priority ? Must have been a small fire.

Actually no, 3 rooms are completely gone and the rest of the house is badly smoke damaged.

I’m waiting on the assessor’s valuation and cannot do much else at the minute, so trying to be productive. I will need to live elsewhere for at least 6 months while work is being done, so I will need to get this sorted otherwise I will be without internet access long term.

I am very upset about it but thanks, your snide comments really helped. ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Berberis wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of help re the setting up of the Tenda mesh devices.
    They are due for delivery along with the directional antenna this Friday.

From doing a bit of research about setting up the Mesh system, my understanding is that there will now be a different wifi address. example Tend Nova 1.

Does this mean that I will need to reset all my smart devices like the google home and nests and plugs to this new address.

Update:
    The Tenda mesh arrived at tea time, so I had to set them up straight away to see how it goes.
    Moved the router up to the window sill, pointed it in the direction of the mast set it for 4g and speeds were out of this world for me. (20-30 down and 20-30 up)

Set up the 3 Tena mesh's and speeds were consistent all over the house, even in parts down the far end where the bedrooms are which always just about got a smidgen of a signal before. So at 8pm in the evening I'm getting roughly 14 - 20Mps download speeds everywhere.
    When the Antenna arrives on Friday, it will be interesting to see how much quicker it will increase the speeds.

I did have to reset all my smart plugs, google home, 2 minis and Chromecast to the new WIFI, which took a while but done now.

I noticed once I had everything connected to the WIFI, that the speeds have now dropped to 6mbs download. I opened the Tenda app and when I click on connected devices, for the google home and minis and the Chromecast, it says "connected 5G access" where all the other devices and lap top says "connected 4G access"
    Could the 5G access be what is slowing the speeds down?

Update 2:
    The 5G access must not be affecting the speeds. Just tried the speeds (10pm) now and I'm back to getting over 20 Mps download.

Unbelievable speeds for us. A big thanks to all Boardie's who posted on this thread.

Sorry for the basic questions but does a set up like this just enhance 3g/4g speeds or can they also help with mobile signal?
    I get about 2 bars and patchy 3g at home. Looking to do something to improve both but no idea where to even start. Any help would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

actuar90 wrote: »
    Sorry for the basic questions but does a set up like this just enhance 3g/4g speeds or can they also help with mobile signal?
    I get about 2 bars and patchy 3g at home. Looking to do something to improve both but no idea where to even start. Any help would be appreciated!

What's talked about in this thread is just for boosting 3G/4G signal/speed for mobile data to mobile wifi dongles, 4G routers etc. If it's internet you are having issues with the easiest/cheapest solution to that would be to set up an external 3G/4G antenna on your home and get a 4G+ router, connecting your phone that you have poor signal on to wifi instead. If it's calls you are having issues then one of these setups would be what your looking for. There's a few different companies do them in Ireland AFAIK. https://www.irelandbooster.com/product-category/by-use/home/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mobile repeater is what you require - https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-information/mobile-phone/mobile-phone-repeaters/

Irish manufacturer here - https://www.stelladoradus.com/

Retailer/installer - https://www.novatel.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

As suggested repeaters will work to improve handset signal for calls but they can be pricey.

Depending on who your mobile phone providers is you could look into WiFi calling as another option, you would still need to sort out your internet but that's probably cheaper than repeaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Makhnovist

Will my current Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 work to boost a 5G broadband connection or will I have to get a newer one? Only provider available in my area for 5G is three. I'm currently with Eir 4G which is 30 a month for 750GB and My average speed is 150Mbps down so Im pretty happy with it but my contract goes up to 53 a month soon so I was going to see what threes 5G was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Makhnovist wrote: »
    Will my current Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 work to boost a 5G broadband connection or will I have to get a newer one? Only provider available in my area for 5G is three.

Three use the 3.6 GHz band for 5G, according to this site that antenna covers frequencies up to 2.7 GHz

This one is 5G (Poynting XPOL-1-5G) for example, covering the 3.6 GHz range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Will my current Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 work to boost a 5G broadband connection or will I have to get a newer one? Only provider available in my area for 5G is three. I'm currently with Eir 4G which is 30 a month for 750GB and My average speed is 150Mbps down so Im pretty happy with it but my contract goes up to 53 a month soon so I was going to see what threes 5G was like.

Another thread indicated that the price is now fixed at 29.99, it may depend on when contract started but it only requires contacting Eir to get on to the 29.99 price after initial contract ends.

Worst case is to just allow contract to end and sign up again.

If your router is capable of 4G+ then 5G might not provide as much of a boost as the marketing suggests. In theory 4G+ is capable of speeds of 300Mbps and higher. 4G is theoretically capable of 150Mbps so if that's what you're getting in practise, it probably is 4G+.

If you want to check Three's coverage then get a PAYG phone SIM and test it in an unlocked router.

My router is B818-263 4G+. I'll contact them then to see if I can do that. And maybe wait till eir roll out 5G broadband, I've had it for almost 11 months now and have had 0 issues so I was even almost happy to pay the extra tbh. If I can keep the price I definitely wont be changing. Also I've tested threes PAYG sim in my current router and it was nowhere near as good.

My router is B818-263 4G+. I'll contact them then to see if I can do that. And maybe wait till eir roll out 5G broadband, I've had it for almost 11 months now and have had 0 issues so I was even almost happy to pay the extra tbh. If I can keep the price I definitely wont be changing. Also I've tested threes PAYG sim in my current router and it was nowhere near as good.

If your already in a contract with eir you'll probably have to pay for the duration of it anyway. If not you could ring them and see if they have a deal they could do for an existing customer. If that fails I would sign up with them again with a new number. They're advertising 4G on their homepage for 29.99/month with "no limits data" (Not sure if there's a FUP).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

My router is B818-263 4G+. I'll contact them then to see if I can do that. And maybe wait till eir roll out 5G broadband....
    What make you think B818-263 is 5G router ?
    https://consumer.huawei.com/ie/routers/4g-router-3-prime/specs/
    549569.PNG

• Advertisement

What make you think B818-263 is 5G router ?
    https://consumer.huawei.com/ie/routers/4g-router-3-prime/specs/
    549569.PNG

Nothing does I said it was a 4G+ router

daraghwal wrote: »
    If your already in a contract with eir you'll probably have to pay for the duration of it anyway. If not you could ring them and see if they have a deal they could do for an existing customer. If that fails I would sign up with them again with a new number. They're advertising 4G on their homepage for 29.99/month with "no limits data" (Not sure if there's a FUP).

The FUP is 750GB

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

I also have modem B818-263

Set it up few days ago with a GoMo sim ,I have it inside on a window sill , I’m close (700 metres)to a new eir mast that has lte according to the comreg website.
    The readings I’m getting are:

RSRQ-5.0dB
    RSRP-95dBm
    RSSI-65dBm
    SINR14dB
    Wireless transmit powerPPusch:19dBm PPucch:-4dBm PSrs:23dBm PPrach:5dBm
    Uplink mod/demod of MCSmcsUpCarrier1:15
    Downlink mod/demod of MCSmcsDownCarrier1Code0:15 mcsDownCarrier1Code1:15

Is this good or bad?
    Would I need an external antenna would anyone know?
    Speeds at moment are constant 20-30 down morning and evening , 15- 20 up .
    Or is GoMo limiting downloading speed or is contention an issue.
    Was going to see for month or 2 how I get on ,would probably need to change to eir sim to have a bigger download allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Stats are basically perfect, limitation is likely the towers capacity.

ED E wrote: »
    Stats are basically perfect, limitation is likely the towers capacity.

Cheers ED .
    A rock sold 20-30 mbps is promising ,trialled with streaming Netflix,prime,Disney . No buffering so far, uploading security cameras all good so far.
    I’ve had Imagine for many years ,headline speeds are faster but it’s just so unreliable and bloody expensive for what you are getting.I find myself constantly trying to minimise amount I download .Worst part is it always seams to have a problem when you need it most .
    Not having to put up an external antenna is definitely a bonus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

Hi all,

I'm currently reading through all the posts on here, but I'm still finding it confusing.

So apologies of I'm coming across as lazy, but I really need some idiots advice in this please or explain it to me like I'm five :D

Just moved into a new house, it's very rural, middle of nowhere.

Can barely get a phone signal / 3G / 4G there.

I have a Huawei B525 modem which I'm currently using with a 3 SIM. Worked grand where I was previously, but can barely get 0.02mb from it now.

I think there's a Vodafone mast closer to the new place so I'll probably have to switch over to Vodafone.

I know I'm going to need some sort of external antenna or booster to make it workable though.

Don't mind about speed as such so long as I can use Netflix and YouTube without major buffering. Not looking to game, Torrent or download large files.

Bearing in mind I'm not very tech savvy and have a limited budget, what sort of external booster or antenna should I be looking for?

Something fairly easy to install and set up.

I really don't know what I'm looking for and if I should be putting it in the attic or outside.

I'm getting confused looking at options, could someone please help advise me or point me in the direction of something simple (but works) for my needs?

Don't mind buying online, from Amazon or China or wherever. Just need to get something sorted and up and running.

Thanks.

First step is definitely to go on Comreg.ie and see which company has best coverage in your area

Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 is the one I have currently and its working perfect I am pretty close to the mast though, is there an eir/meteor mast near you at all?

Morby wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently reading through all the posts on here, but I'm still finding it confusing.

So apologies of I'm coming across as lazy, but I really need some idiots advice in this please or explain it to me like I'm five :D

Just moved into a new house, it's very rural, middle of nowhere.

Can barely get a phone signal / 3G / 4G there.

I have a Huawei B525 modem which I'm currently using with a 3 SIM. Worked grand where I was previously, but can barely get 0.02mb from it now.

I think there's a Vodafone mast closer to the new place so I'll probably have to switch over to Vodafone.

I know I'm going to need some sort of external antenna or booster to make it workable though.

Don't mind about speed as such so long as I can use Netflix and YouTube without major buffering. Not looking to game, Torrent or download large files.

Bearing in mind I'm not very tech savvy and have a limited budget, what sort of external booster or antenna should I be looking for?

Something fairly easy to install and set up.

I really don't know what I'm looking for and if I should be putting it in the attic or outside.

I'm getting confused looking at options, could someone please help advise me or point me in the direction of something simple (but works) for my needs?

Don't mind buying online, from Amazon or China or wherever. Just need to get something sorted and up and running.

Thanks.

Also stick your eircode in https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail here on the off change that you can get fibre. Might be worth asking any neighbours if there is a WISP in the area but doubtful if your finding it hard to get phone coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

Currently with Tesco Mobile (Three) for my mobile and it's very poor out there, lots of missed calls, no signal, can't get internet connectivity etc..

Same with the Huawei B525 router with 3 SIM.

From looking at comreg all the MVNO's piggybacking off of 3 I can only get "fair" 3G coverage outdoors. Not even looking into 4G as it's pointless.

Eir are much the same.

Vodafone seem to be the best bet as I can seemingly get "good" 3G outdoor coverage there (think they have a mast a mile or two away)

So I'm going to get a PAYG Vodafone SIM and try it in the router out there and then hopefully get set up with a booster of sorts.

I was looking at this as a cheap option to test out before spending any more money, but it's probably crap? - Poynting Omni 280-02

https://www.4gon.co.uk/poynting-omni-indooroutdoor-medium-gain-lte-siso-antenna-aomni28002-p-8451.html

I'm looking into the Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 as mentioned above now. I see one Irish site makes you tick a box declaring it won't be used in the Republic of Ireland, I'm guessing they're illegal or a bit on the gray side of the law or some such?

I also see that these need SMA connectors on your router, am I right in thinking that I just unscrew the existing internal antennas on my Huawei 525 router and screw in new connectors with one of the Poyntings above?

Then install the device outdoors, somewhere up high on the house, position it and do some speed checks?

Is that more or less it or what am I missing?

Advertisement