Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on external 3G/4G antenna

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Morby wrote: »

I was looking at this as a cheap option to test out before spending any more money, but it's probably crap? - Poynting Omni 280-02
    ..and you will have wasted ~£20

Name nearest(~5km radius) town, i will lookup your local masts.
    PM if concerned about privacy.

Just in case you are, dont set "rabbit ears" as external antenna on B525. My experience - it work worse than if you just use build in.

Router positioning might/will have huge effect on speed if no antenna used

Directional external antenna might work better in rural area than omni and it covers greater distance

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

..and you will have wasted ~£20

Name nearest(~5km radius) town, i will lookup your local masts.
    PM if concerned about privacy

Thank you very kindly, I have PM'd you.

Much appreciated!

Morby wrote: »
    .......... I have PM'd you.......
    Quick glance, and i see your troubles..
    No data on CellMapper
    VF mast next to you(~1km), mounted in fields on high voltage pylon, is marked as 2G/3G service only. If you get VF SIM and set your router for 3G you should have steady DL ~20-25Mbps (testing needed). Worth testing for 4G in case VF have this upgraded, but ComReg data don't show it.

Nearest LTE capable masts seam to be all located west from you. You will defo need directional antenna to hit those
    Few transmitters are in town (4.8km west) near to Lidl/Post, however, two hill-tops on the way badly obstructing LoS(Line of Sight). This is measuring that your antenna is ~8m and mast ~20m off the ground

One mast is south side of town (still west from you, 5.7km), VF + Meteor. Greater distance , but better elevation layout

Recommend Iskra P58 or similar.

Edit: Later model on amz.de

Quick glance, and i see your troubles..

Hi there,

Thanks so much for that. I really appreciate the in depth reply and trouble you went to, amazing!

I'll order a Vodafone PAYG SIM and try it in the Huawei router when it comes, I'm hoping I might be able to get some sort of 3G signal via the nearest mast.

I'll definitely have to get an external antenna also. I presume given your reply that you prefer the Iska to the Poynting for this scenario?

I would even be happy with a stable 5Mb connection, don't need massive download speeds, if I can stream Netflix and YouTube then I'm happy.

I think I'll also need to look into getting a mesh system for inside the house also as it's quite spread out and I can already envision parts of the house not getting a signal, but need to get the basics of an actual signal into the house first.

Thanks very much for your help and for taking the time out to look into this for me.

Also, silly question, but with an external antenna such as the Iska or Poynting, is it simply a case of installing them outside up high and roughly directing them in the area of the mast you want to pick up signal, and then fine tuning it by adjusting it to get the best signal?

Or would you need a meter or anything to pinpoint the exact location?

Also, as a novice, are these fairly easy to install, as in install outside, presume run a cable from aerial to modem and then tweak the direction of them and do speed tests to see what position gives you the best signal?

Or do you need to download apps to tweak around with settings etc? Afraid the latter may be a bit beyond me yet.

B525 does show signal metrics Settings>>System>>Device info, but this info more for guidance - best signal indicators not necessary best speed. Internet speed test will tell.
    No need for pro tools and think it would cost you fortune.

CellMapper app can help determine what mast your router is connecting to as well gives some more info about mast(s). Other apps available.

G Maps along Comreg/CellMapper will tell you what direction to point

Antenna cable should not exceed 10m - plan for router location, power/network cabling.

My preference to Iskra is based on results i have achieved with it, not that i work for them, distribute or benefit other way. Alternatives available.

And yeah - mount antenna, point toward mast, connect router and test/tune/test/tune

LTE H-Monitor would give you possibility to force router to a specific band(B1, B3, B20, etc), but it all depend what is available on the mast.
    I did tested it and its doing "what it says on the can", but use on your own risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

Are you aware the vodafone sim wont work in your (locked) 3 router?
    What county are you in?

pms7 wrote: »
    Are you aware the vodafone sim wont work in your (locked) 3 router?
    What county are you in?

I presume this is to me? The router was from 3 however I have since had it unlocked.

Thanks for the tip though.

I'm in Co. Galway / Co. Clare, just on the border

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

I'm trying to decide between the Iskra P58 and Poynting 4G XPOL A0001.

Does anyone on here have any preferences as to which would be most suitable for a beginner or any pros or cons to either please?

Moyglish wrote: »

Does anyone on here have any preferences as to which would be most suitable for a beginner or any pros or cons to either please?
    In the post #394 link to latest Iskra model. They claim wider frequency range, but shorter cable. If you contact seller and request they perhaps can supply with 10m, if needed. Note: cable is "build in" and wont be easy to replace DIY.
    Cant comment on Poynting as have not tested so honours to others...
    Compare data sheets
    Results will vary on you location, masts, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Thank you for that, very helpful.

Is the cable that is supplied with the Iska a coax type cable? I presume it fits into your router and replace the internal attenaes with that instead?

• Advertisement

Thank you for that, very helpful.

Is the cable that is supplied with the Iska a coax type cable? I presume it fits into your router and replace the internal attenaes with that instead?
    Same for both antennas, coax with SMA connectors, screw-on to most routers. Some, like Huawei B818 need SMA-to-TS9 adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

The Poynting 4G XPOL A0001 is omni directional. Waste of time rural, some use maybe dense urban.
    Iskra highly directional. There is an XPOL 2 directional which is easier to instal than the Iskra.

I was under the impression that 4g antenna signal boosters were illegal. Whats the story with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

pms7 wrote: »
    The Poynting 4G XPOL A0001 is omni directional. Waste of time rural, some use maybe dense urban.
    Iskra highly directional. There is an XPOL 2 directional which is easier to instal than the Iskra.

I am using this guy since last August on Vodafone pointed at a mast 4 km away , I get 50/60 mb rock solid connection and use 1 to 1.5 TB a Month (Have 3 x Work Provided sims that each allow 500 gb) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C1DGGKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 BTW Antenna is mounted in the Attic.. If I moved outside I am sure I could get more but no need at the moment as connection is perfect 24x7

Wexman1992 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that 4g antenna signal boosters were illegal. Whats the story with them.

LOL Max 10 Pounds fine.

Under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1926 published by Comreg, these antennas and the use of passive 4G/LTE antennas are not permitted to be used in The Republic of Ireland.

https://www.irishwireless.net/xpol-a0002

(3) Every person who keeps, has in his possession, works, or uses any apparatus for wireless telegraphy in contravention of this section shall be guilty of an offence under this section and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof to a fine not exceeding ten pounds, together with, in the case of a continuing offence, a further fine not exceeding one pound for every day during which the offence continues and also, in every case, forfeiture of all the apparatus in respect of which the offence was committed.

Whats your ping like time? What router do you use? what plan are you on? I read others saying its a big fine so thats why i was put off

Hi Wexman1992, Sent you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Finally got around to setting up my Rut240 and Poynting 5G 11db High Gain Cross Polarised LTE Antenna today.

Since I changed to eir mobile broadband the past month I was getting an average of 20mbs on the back window which is great but the wires on the window were annoying me so I finally get up the external antenna.

Once set up I was getting 50mbs average which was great but after an hour that dropped to an average of 10mb.

I'm wondering have eir noticed I'm not using their own router and are now throttling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I'm looking for advice on upgrading the mobile internet in our holiday home in Enniscrone, Co. Sligo.

I currently have an Huawei B593 (no antenna) with a GoMo SIM card and it's not great to be honest. Wifi works OK inside the house but speeds are only up to 10mb and it's not possible to stream much on the TV or use my Firestick.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a B525 modem, what external antenna should I go for and do I need to put it outside or would up in the attic be sufficent? Should I try a SIM from different network provider e.g. Three or Vodafone? Is the B525 easy to unlock (currently on Vodafone)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

i had the exact same setup as you .. B593 .. I used this antenna which is compatible and was much improved

its directional so you must point it at the mast

Years later I then upgraded to TP-Link Archer MR600 AC1200 LTE Router, Dual-Band 4G + Cat6 Gigabit WiFi Router

it works with the same antenna, got double the speed! Also its unlocked so you can try any SIM

(top tip - in the setup theres an option to restart every day .. do this at 4:00AM or when it suits it stops lock ups)

I dont use the wireless part myself (have a mesh system) but imagine it would be better than the B593

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Can somebody who knows how to read CellMapper take a look at my location and advise whether Eir or Vodafone have the strongest signal? Have a three Sim and unlocked router but three signal is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I'm in a zero 4g area inside outside very little 4g, I've tried a Ponytig Omni, a freetv Yagi both of which were little more than useless and now an iskra p58 stepped 1m apart( Screwfix sell poles ) and even inside I'm getting 75% signal and snr of 7db on a mr600 I'm getting excellent pings jitter and 25down and 12 up.

Forget doing it on the cheap .I'm now cutting my eir fibre broadband which is costing 67 a month which is crazy.

Also get the shortest aerial cable you can. I got the 5m with iskra p58 but regret not going down to 2.5m as il put the modem in an upstairs bedroom. You loose .35db per meter and the snr goes down with cable length.

Use CellMapper to find what mast and cell you're connected, also to see what and where neighbouring masts/cell are. This allow to adjust/force router to mast/cell that could give best expirience, however its not guaranteed. Data on it is from whatever users have uploaded to it - if its there its there, but some areas might not be covered/mapped yet. CellMapper might provide information to what services are availble in the area from different mobile providers.

If dont mind, post your town name here or PM, so you could get some more advice.

Also, post what current setup you have now (router make/model, antena)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Thanks for the info. I actually went ahead and got fiber in the end. Bit of a pain because they had to spend weeks waiting for council permission to unblock ducts on the road, but got it all sorted last Saturday. Turns out Eir has the best signal here. My wife is on GoMo and we noticed she had much better data speeds than me on Three. Got an Eir 30day data sim to put in a router I already had and that kept us going until the fiber install.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

Picked up a ponyting antenna (new model one that does 5G aswell) and had it setup sitting on ground for few days outside a window,was getting very good speeds 75 down ,20 up .Got around to putting up on wall pointing same direction but higher than sitting on the ground ,now I’m getting only 5-10 down and higher 25 up .

Any suggestions that I could do differently?

only though I can think of is antenna too high and dropping it down 3-4 feet , would I be picking up a mast much further away

(I’m using a b818 modem , full bars of 4g+ on the web page display,rural area , SINR is -3

You would need to see if you are still connecting to same mast.

Even if you are, you might have got B20 band now vs B3 or B1

B818 show CELL_ID here: http://192.168.1.1/html/content.html#deviceinformation (adjust IP if required)

To see what band you are currently have, sign in to router GUI on one tab, then on new tab paste this: view-source:http://192.168.1.1/api/device/signal

the line you looking for is:

<band>3</band>

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

Cheers for that…

found previous screenshots and yes I was connecting to a different mast ,cell id was different .

Sinr is +5 now and speed are around 30 ish down ,20 up after resetting modem .

I can’t see the band I’m on tho ,will probably have to change from iPad to a pc.

I might try moving antenna a bit , I couldn’t believe how good speeds were just wedged into the gutter, it’s a serious bit of kit ponyting v3 I think it was ,hopefully I can recreate.

CQI

CQI0:3 CQI1:10

RSRQ

-11.0dB

RSRP

-94dBm

RSSI

-69dBm

SINR

5dB

Wireless transmit power

PPusch:3dBm PPucch:-8dBm PSrs:17dBm PPrach:12dBm

Uplink mod/demod of MCS

mcsUpCarrier1:29

Downlink mod/demod of MCS

mcsDownCarrier1Code0:0 mcsDownCarrier1Code1:2

PLMN

• Advertisement

Band is not shown within router GUI, you have to follow..

Mast might contain several cell's, usually beginning numbers match, only variation on last two digits

If cell numbers completely different it might indicate different mast.

Advertisement