Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Thankfully that particular branch of The Church of Lefty Woo is being absolutely crushed to smithereens , mostly because real feminists suddenly woke up (pardon the pun) and realised it was nothing more then just another wave of misogyny that needed to be kicked to touch.

Glad to see that the push to force biological women to accept without complaint the adjective “Cis” is also being laughed out of the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

With respect I suspect you've very little experience of clubs. The picture postcard image you have in your head rarely exists.

There's enough articles in the media about problems with clubs. Kinda hard to miss it.

https://youtu.be/rt8T8oho4Fk

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"Cis" has it's purpose, but the rest of what you say I'd agree with.

Not sure I'd class woke as a religion, but then I wouldn;t start an argument over it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Plenty. I'm not saying there aren't problems, I'm saying that they're a much better fostering of community than religion.

Am at work in a loud environment, so can't listen to the youtube clip - give me a summary (as long as it disputes the above comment - if it doesn't, don't bother)

It's a satire of golf clubs, social commentary etc.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Many parents have been unhappy about the Church controlling their schools for decades, but as we're seeing with the maternity hospital, the Church will cling onto to every possible angle of control until the State finally stands up.

I guess this is a good example of the parents who are perfectly happy with Church schools. Perfectly happy to have a big day out that has nothing to do with religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

This is why I switched off from Catholicism. Too many people pretending to be Christian who are not Christian. Just another excuse for a dress, money, big day out, Keeping up appearances.

It's kind of a celebrity culture spinoff.

I think Jesus would be astonished the way people assume any of this is being Christian when in fact it's helping the poor and your neighbor ... And not ***** up the environment for future generations or sticking your head in the sand with your financial investments ....

The church just added a whole load of shite on Jesus's message. They turned it into a circus so loads of people would "join".

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

I want them, all 1 billion of them, to sit and think for a few minutes. Just a bare few minutes of genuine, independent, honest, critical thought. Then they'd all realise that their religion has not brought them any real happiness because it's based on a collection of fictions. They would also realise that the wider world would be better off with their religion. They would outgrow the silly superstitions they have lived with and start to act like sentient adults. Then they'd take their grubby paws out of education, healthcare and government.

And they'd all be better off and the rest of us wouldn't have to tolerate their deluded, self-righteous, victimy whingeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I never said that attending religious services wasn't the only social outlet for people, but it was the only social outlet where the whole community (i.e. people that live near each other) did participate.

Given that up until relatively recently the vast majority of Irish people identified themselves as one faith, attending their services certainly did provide a common universal social space in this country. It was an anchor point.

It is something that has not been replicated by any pub, concert or club. What are the anchor points for a modern Irish community? What are the collective commonalities that foster a sense of community among the people that live near each other?

I am not saying that this is a good or a bad thing, but an observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

This won't happen, obviously. For the same reason that some nine-year-olds still profess to believe in Santy, long after they have acquired the critical faculties required to dismiss that myth. It's easier, cozier and less challenging than facing reality.

Opposite or trans, obviously - how else are you going to describe something that stays on the same side?

And before you say something like "normal", that's like saying "homo"sexual is a nonsense word because "hetero"sexual is "nomal" and "homo"sexual is has also got no purpose.

There was a story some time ago on one of the Dublin radio show a while back:

A primary school teacher who's class had just made first communion, missed one of the girls at the service. The next school day, she went over to the child and apologised for not saying congratulations. At which point, the girl said, "that's ok Miss - we were so late getting out of the hairdressers' we just went straight to the hotel...."

(Not sure how true it is, but I wouldn't say unlikely)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Then they'd all realise that their religion has not brought them any real happiness because it's based on a collection of fictions

This is the problem with internet atheists, pure arrogance. You think you know whether or not something makes someone else happy, without having an actual clue if it does or doesn't. Go to depression forums, and you won't find many Christians, but I'd bet you'll find many atheists. Being bitter and spiteful, as you were in your first few posts here, isn't a trait of a happy person, yet you think you've some right to declare that others can't be happy living with a different set of values.

And they'd all be better off and the rest of us wouldn't have to tolerate their deluded, self-righteous, victimy whingeing.

Once again, nothing but arrogance. The "tolerant" who tolerate little but their own way, a trope we've become far too used to. The irony of your post too, considering that your views would create more "victimhood" than less, as you're a perfect example of a poster with nothing but hatred towards Catholics. I appreciate your honesty though, as many try and dress up their hatred, but you, you are frank.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Many parents? How many? Why haven’t these “many parents” got organised and forced the governments hand on this issue? I know why. There’s just not really that many. It’s an issue for a small fringe group. Vast majority are totally unconcerned, in particular the new Irish who find our education system to be very satisfactory and wonderfully inclusive for all. Which is exactly what it is.

No. There’s two groups. There’s women. And there’s trans women. That is all. I don’t need an adjective to describe what I am. I don’t want/need to be described as cis any more then I want to be described as white/fat.

Im perfectly happy of course to respect anyones request that I use their preferred pronouns when speaking to/about them.

Why then is it so difficult to ask that the very same group respect, in return, the refusal of many millions of women to have this tacked on?

I find it offensive. You’ll agree I’m sure that what anyone finds offensive is entirely subjective. That’s a given. So no point in telling me that I have no grounds to be offended. Just accept that that’s the way it is.

In the same way there's "straight" and "not straight", right?

The difference being "woman" is an umbrella term.

Don't know what the answers to your last two pragrpahs are and don't know what you'd be offended...? Utimately, it's not a massive issue - it's there if you want to use it, it's fine if you don't, but saying it has no function isn't really correct. It has function to some people.

The GAA are pretty much an anchor point in communities across the country. Has always been substantial historically and into the present.

And go to other places in the country and you'll find that there's plenty of weekly community outlets. Eg in Cork, there tends to be farmers markets that brings the entire community together on a weekly basis. And to be honest, a hell of a lot more enjoyable than a mass. So anchor points for communities do exist and thrive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wonder how many people lamenting the decline of the Catholic Church are actually going every Sunday themselves. It has no business in schools but I suspect there's a sizeable demographic happy for their children to learn Catholic values without the hassle of going to Mass every Sunday.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

You can learn about them without going to church or religious education in schools.

It is also noticeable that some lamenting the decline don't show that they actually pay any attention to the basic tenets to their religion and except focus on the parts where they get to rant about gays and immigrants. What would be called Sunday Catholics.

• Advertisement

I don't really have a problem if people want to be selective about the parts of their religion they practise it's mostly (or entirely) their business not mine.

Seriously? You post about what 'the vast majority' are thinking, without any backup or verification, but you expect me to explain what 'many parents' want? Fairly typical of the double-standards that we've seen coming from the Church for decades, with Eamonn Casey and Micheal Cleary telling us about modesty and chastity, while riding anything with a pulse, so we shouldn't be surprised with the same double standards coming from those who want to maintain their grip on control of churches and hospitals.

Parents have been organised for decades, and have managed to create about 100 non-denominational schools over the past 20 years or so, and yet still, bad Ministers and bad Bishops have managed to maintain that vice grip of control over the vast majority of schools and hospitals, living up to the Jesuits modus operandi, give me the child at 7, etc etc.

What is it about Church people that have this deep need to enslave others into their cult, and stop people from thinking independently?

It is also noticeable that some lamenting the decline don't show that they actually pay any attention to the basic tenets to their religion and except focus on the parts where they get to rant about gays and immigrants. What would be called Sunday Catholics.

As opposed to being an Atheist and being able to rant about homosexuals, religions and immigrants? Is there a special term for them?

I've never heard any Christian complain about immigrants with any connection to their religious beliefs. Their concerns, criticisms, etc towards immigration are separate to their religious values.. and quite possibly are rooted in practical considerations. What are these basic tenets that relate to immigrants? As with all things, you can go to extremes... or apply them in moderation.

You can learn about them without going to church or religious education in schools

Where? And there is a difference between learning about something, and receiving the conditioning that makes those values part of your own perspective. Unless the parents are teaching these Christian values, it's unlikely someone is going to pick them up, externally to going to Church or in a Christian led school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I do when they're trying to force it down other people's throats.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Where does that happen in Ireland? Not 40 years ago. In the present, where does that happen?

The Catholic values that women are 2nd class citizens, that gay people are intrinsically disorded, that sex and even masturbation is sinful - why would anyone want their kids to buy into that?

In the 95%+ of schools that are Church controlled.

Apparently a sufficient number to convince the government to allow the Church control of most of the country's schools.

H. H. Asquith

As long as all schools provide a suitable alternative for kids who don't want religion, then I'd argue they aren't secular (and by alternatively, I don't mean sitting quietly and not reading a book - they're supposed to be teaching, not babysitting).

Either Ireland is a secular country and the State education system is not involved in teaching religion, or it should stop pretenfing to be.

i

• Advertisement

As I said, offense is subjective and doesn’t have to be explained.

I thought that all this had been ironed out long ago. People are offended by all manner of things now, wether any offence was intended or not. People were always offended by all manner of things.

The big difference now is that if you inadvertently offend someone now, you might very well be sacked or, if your in the UK, find yourself explaining your mistake to a police officer.

So it’s kinda disappointing to find you here questioning why I might cis offensive. It really is quite hypocritical to be honest.

Rules that apply to one group should really apply to everyone.

And yes, I’m quite confident that a woman is an adult human female and a trans woman is someone who is living their life as a woman though isn’t a female. If there are more types of people who can include the word “woman” in a description of themselves then I’d be interested to hear about it.

Advertisement