Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No one is playing the victim lad, I wonder if we replaced the word Catholics with Jews or Muslims would he have got carded for it though.

He wants to get rid of 1 billion people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Alas you confuse anti RCC because of the atrocities it committed with "anti religiousity."

Should have been handled better is probably the understatement of the century, why the need to downplay the church's culpability?

As for wrong think and ideological fads, bigots don't get to hide behind religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HazeDoll

• Registered Users Posts: 33,162 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't think he literally means genocide. At least, I hope not.

"Nihilistic cultural marxist" (to quote @Manach at the start of this section) is just an unnesecarily wordy way of saying Athiest, and they're not trying to get rid of anyone.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Where did the poster say that?

So you try to compare something a poster didn't say to the Holocaust. That is playing the victim

• Advertisement

Don't think he's coming back to actually address anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Juran

To give my opinion as the second poster said .. I have zero sympathy for the CC as they fall. My parents grew up in poor areas in the west of Ireland in the 40's and 50's. The stories they told us over the years are horrific. None of our families go to mass, including aunts, uncles, cousins.

I pass by churches in city suburb areas on sunday and the car parks are full. A lot of people I work with in their 30s, and 40s all go to mass. Are they believers, or go to to keep up with the neighbors ?

But I notice that churchs in very rural areas in the west are almost empty ( i think this is a reflection of how the CC treated the poorer society up until the 60's and 70's).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Oŕganised religion is a control mechanism. It aided the state keep the public in line. Thats why they worked hand in hand with governments and monarchies.

And our state turned a blind eye and authorised some of the horrors the church perpetrated upon the public.

No religious order should be allowed function in any health or education capacity. They abused that trust.

If they covered it up for generations, yes they should be shut down.

• Advertisement

What was it someone said? "Only when the last politiican is hanged with the entrails of the last priest will man truly be free"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's a serious effort at stretching what they said in order to deploy the victim card.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Religious adherence should be seen as a form of mental illness & treated as such.

Maybe it was different out west or w/e but where I am the church was spent by the time I can remember (very early 90s). People forget (or don't know) they lost a huge amount of support when they condemned the IRA and the like. By the time I started school the institutions were still there but they were just something you had to do. My parents didn't make us go to church, I'm struggling to think of anyone in my 30+ class in primary school who went to mass regularly outside of school and am drawing a blank. The idea of pre-wedding sex as something that doesn't happen was gone in the 70s sure.

I see where you're coming from the the corporations as the power and it's something I've been thinking about myself a good bit lately. We seem to be being run for the benefit of foreign investors and we pay our growing underclass to bring them to a level at or above people earning below average pay. That ridiculous spending is then used to say "Look! We spend loads on the poor!" which while technically true is just another bit of useful idiocy, a bit I'll admit to have fallen for before. FFS just look on the front page of this very site, we need to "get over ourselves" when it comes to housing. Sure don't people who work in offices in Hong Kong live in 5 sq metre apartments? Why should we expect better? Idiots.

If you rent a house to someone and they refuse to pay they can **** you and if you're a normal landlord you're fucked. Get a builder to do a job, he charges an extra 50% and doesn't do it properly? **** you. Healthcare? Yeah sure you're paying €500+ a month through tax but you'd better pay another €150 a month as well. Don't expect that to actually cover anything though, you're still going to have to pay for access to a service when they get around to you in a year or two then treat you like they're doing you a favour.

The decline of the church isn't the major issue. Rural areas were stuck for too long so they changes have been rapid and incredibly uneven. The helping out your neighbour and keeping an eye on their gate when they're on holidays are still a thing. Aside from that though unless you're in a "vulnerable" group then **** you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

A large, large amount of human progress was made in religious times. Some of the greatest men in Europe's history, men who put modern men to shame, were great believers. It's fine to not like religion and see it as a relic of the past, but this blind atheistic hatred of all things religious, where religion gets not one bit of credit for anything, is nothing but the worst of ignorance.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

All these "great men" (no women btw) lived in a place & time where religion was not a choice, it was part of the culture.

How many scientists & astronomers were persecuted for their claims. How many wars were fought in the name of god.

I think you're misunderstanding the industrial revolution, which was driven by science, not god.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The church will bounce back. Not to the 1950s levels of support but church attendance will improve.

The vast majority of priests did not abuse children. Society likes to forget that most abuse is carried out by a family member.

I will let you back to your virtue signaling now.

Adieu

I think they'll just keep plateauing at the same level as they are now, unless there's an apocolyptical world-changing event like worldwide financial meltdown or climate change REALLY kicks in.

The entire organisation covered up for the ones that did.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,789 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well all let you back to waiting for those fascist pigs to fly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The church is trying to rezone many of its Dublin churches to land for housing. The game is up. 1 church per Dublin postcode will suffice in a few years as the demand just isn't there.

Abuse by family members is only 50% of cases and that is for abuse victims that are in the very young age category. Older children are usually abused by people in positions of authority such as the church and organisations (recent case involving the two scrotes from the order of Malta as an example)

As for the church bouncing back, the only reason anyone gets their kids baptised is to get them into a school if they are unlucky enough to not have a educate together option. Kill the ownership of schools and that is gone.

The only churches reporting any sort of larger attendenc are the ones with immigrant populations nearby, which a few of the Church apologists here don't want in the country due to not really having a Christian attitude towards their fellow man.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,789 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A couple of years back Limerick became the first (at least publicized) area to have 1 priest covering multiple churches every Sunday.

Some change for a City that had the insidious confraternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Abuse is horrific and abhorrent regardless if it's organized religion or not.

I'm not sure why people plan four years in advance to be baptized and not plan 4yrs in advance to beside the school they want. I think more likely is mostly cultural to attend certain things. But if it's run out of the schools attendance will fall off a cliff. I still see a lot of attendence at masses and such in certain areas. Though equally I've attended more non religious ceremony's than ever before, weddings, funerals etc.

But there is another aspect of this. The RC is completely out of touch in mindset with modern society. It refuses to change. It's that obstinate archaic mindset that is speeding it's demise. There is no contrition, it's unyielding and brittle.

Even if there was demand the average age of priests is around 70. Since no one else can say mass. Mass is doomed by it's own rules.

Of course religion is popular elsewhere. Which is quite staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭downtheroad

CSO website confirms dramatic fall in number of catholic weddings in Ireland over the last decade. Looking forward to seeing the census results and the drop in those identifying (or whatever its called) as catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I dont practice a faith , believe in god ( or at least the god of the holy books of various creeds ) and see prayer as about the most useless thing someone could do but the jaded line that the church are oppressing us is just banal at this stage , the progressives won the culture wars in ireland , they are not the plucky rebel underdogs fighting the vatican from the trenches like they think they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

I'm not sure the fall of religion will have the positive effects you're hoping for.

There's some decent evidence to suggest that the decline in religion in western nations correlates with an increase in loneliness, depression, no meaning, lack of community etc.

Advertisement