Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

Just shy of 6.5k. Think their cheapest model is around 4.5k. You pay extra for engraved dials vrs painted dials, ceramic dial vs brass dial etc. Mine is still relatively entry level and they can be up to 20k when you add in-house movements, PM cases etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Tempted to uptrade my Nomos Club Neomatik Atlantik. Really fancy the Neomatik Update models, either Tangente or Metro, both with the same movement and that really cool date design.

But incredible lead times of 10 months in the Nomos online shop and the same on chrono24. Even for my Atlantik I'd have to wait 6 months if I bought it now.

Any ideas why this might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Seiko 5 GMT on the way according to reddit, bit pricey when you could nearly have 2 moon swatches for it🙊

Global supply chains are in general half fucked. I am also guessing Nomos are busy and can’t keep up with temporary demand.

Which ref number are you thinking? And which one do you currently have?

I have been eyeing an 807 a bit. Think it’s handsome.

807 is very handsome. From what (little) I know of your other watches I can see how you would like this one.

Can't help there unfortunately. I've got a 741 and I'm tempted by either 182 or 1165.

• Advertisement

Just spent the last hour browsing and looked at the 182 for a long time! The 182 is absolutely gorgeous. Straight to the top of my list for Nomos wants. I wouldnt think twice!

Would've probably bought it today only for the 10 months lead time. Was very close... Then I started browsing and ran into the 1165 and its so bloody elegant and yet casual. And again, 10 months.

On the upside with those lead times I probably wouldn't lose much at all on my 741. There is only one 2nd hand one on chrono and its listed for a little more for what I paid new.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,843 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Schiphol airport last night and for once there were actually about 100 Rolex watches in store, proper ones too, most of the popular steel sports were there too as well as precious metal. The "exhibition only" cards were everywhere, but these were actually real watches!

Tried on the bluesy sub, really getting a feel for that, the blue dial is very addictive. I'll just have to take the two-tone that comes with it.

Also tried on the blue skydweller. That watch has a massive presence, a heavy hitter. Liked it a lot, but maybe I'm still a bit young for it 😂 also no quick adjustments to the bracelet, which is a no-no for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭micks_address

Re the exhibition watches - are you not allowed tried them on? i was in weirs a few weeks ago and they said they were for display purposes only

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I heard on Tub's radio show this morning that the Museum of Time in Waterford are having a special exhibition on 20th-22nd of May. There's supposed to be a few watch makers present;

We'll have to get Oisin over to help us with our pronunciation 🤔.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

You are allowed to try them on. Same in Lunn's too. But like yourself, I was refused to try one on in Weir's a few weeks ago. I'd say badly trained junior staff don't know what they are doing in Weir's. Very unprofessional.

These watches in Schiphol were all real though, and just a young lady in the shop, a few million worth of Rolex there. And no security to speak of. But I guess they reckon there are cameras everywhere and it was airside too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Are the real watches actually for sale though? Because I'd certainly grab a flight if they were, just to flip it into cash or something German 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thats ridiculous from Weirs the whole idea of exhibition watches is that you have something for someone to try on FFS.

Yeah, maybe I should have asked for a senior Rolex salesperson, the junior people I was dealing with hadn't a clue / were wrongly instructed. Very unprofessional from Weir's.

What do you think? 😂

The lady started a sentence with "unfortunately..." and I cut her straight off that I know they aren't allowed to sell them. Unless a Chinese billionaire with a massive spending history walks past 😁 (I didn't say that bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I know, I know 😉 but I had to ask.

I am leaning towards a Tudor blackbay pro as my next buy. I have to have a clear out 1st tho as somehow I'm back up to having 10 watches 😮 11 if I count the Sinn up for sale in Belfast. My 1 in, 1 out rule may have fallen by the wayside for a little while🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I would think a TT Sub is older wearing than a skydweller in steel or white metal no? Still the sub would suit you well. If the lack of micro adjustment puts you off get the Skydweller on jubilee...that bracelet just disappears and breaths so well. Also the links are so small you can find the perfect fit. Ok the jubilee is a dressy thing but its cannot be beaten for comfort...maybe the presidential but I dont have a lot of wear on that to give a considered opinion.

Hey everyone. What sort of duties would I be paying on a $1250 watch from Hodinkee delivered to Ireland? The confirmation email just has shipping as 0 and doesn't mention anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

4.5% in duties and an extra 23% in VAT.

Ok thanks. Expensive lunch. Had an email alert set up for the turquoise Mido Decompression Timer and just went for it with about a minute's thought.

Visiting Ireland this summer so it will be nice to have that waiting at home. It generally goes for around $2k second-hand.

Oddly, my girlfriend's dad is big into Mido and has bought loads of them. Some brownie points perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Anyone know what the model number of this GS is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

SBGA403 use Google Lens to search an image.

Google lens is the dogs bollix

I tried to buy a few of these 182 on c24 yesterday. All “sold”. We’ll take the **** adds down then. They didn’t try sell me anything else so no idea what’s the idea of it.

I see you can do 12 months interest free on Nomos direct aslong as you don’t mind them putting the “hold” over the funds on your CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Was over in Galway at the Leinster match recently and spotted these in the window of Hartmann’s. Took a pic for a mate who was thinking about buying one. No idea what models they have but nice looking watches in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Looks like one of each, then heavier on the Clubman range (which is their more sportier range). Although now that I mention that they don't seem to have the square Nomos.

Would be nice to have a Dublin AD to try on rather than having to head to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Wasn’t aware they were any ADs in Ireland. Really like the Club Sport 42. They’re a 12 month wait from the site.

Last time I was in Weir’s the sales guy noticed my tangente. Asked me loads of questions, as they were wondering about getting the brand in.

Hilarious playground stuff. Seems Thorpe and gang have fucked Tim off also. No interaction really on recent trip to Vegas. Tim is like a bad smell hanging around desperately for a 2 dollar superchats 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

this stuff highlights the spoofers you are dealing with, its no different than any other asset bubble, the lads coming into it and making a big splash are mostly spoofers and charlatans.

• Advertisement

Onlyfans for watch geeks. I think it’s hilarious watching grown men superchatting so their stupid question ala “what do you think of this watch” gets answered by a nobody 😹

Advertisement