Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Seems to be mostly young lads under 25 buying into the current hype. Context for the older chaps among us, this, with watches.

😁

The "god tier" stuff around Casio was clever marketing to get Nico's name out in that demographic. I dunno how it helps his business directly mind you as his reddit/youtube fans are the same young lads, few of whom would be in the market for his "god tier" Rolex and Pateks.

+1 They're the TAG Heuer of today in many ways. With extra zeros on the price tags. Very fashionable and very popular outside the watch nerd set and hated by them for it. The "god tier" stuff around Casio I don't get. Well maybe for guys of a certain age who remember the 80's and 90's. If any Japanese brand deserves that title it's Seiko and by a country mile, with extra miles on top. And a long walk.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

What would ye say is the average wrist size. Measured mine the other day, i always reckoned i have narrow wrists, and was 5.5cm wide which i assume is quite narrow but i can generally wear up to a 42mm without it looking out of place.

I know Unkel has the wrists of a professional arm wrestler but presumably most folks are around the 6cm?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

5.5cm??? What are you measuring?

If memory serves a convo between Fitz & Unkel had some stats that gave 7"-7.25"inches as the average? I'm 7.25" myself so in new money approx 18.4cm

Width vs circumference? A wide flat wrist can wear a bigger watch than a round wrist I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Imagine the added cost of those links on an 18k bracelet 😮

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

6.5 inch circumference here. 16cms in French.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I may try and get a old timer tape measure and see, maybe I'm ahortchanging myself

• Registered Users Posts: 64,841 ✭✭✭✭unkel

LOL hardly, I always thought they were small until I measured them. Between 7.6 and 8" depending on circumstances. I think Fitz II posted a graph here before showing a normal distribution with average of around 7" and a very high percentage of the surface area between 6.5 and 7.5"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

there is a quarter of an inch between being normal and being a giant.

That’s what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I read an article in the paper today, CAB seizes cars and luxury watches from crime gang.

They include a photo of one of the watches seized.

I looked it up and I can buy it for £50! (Unless I am mistaken).

https://www.thejournal.ie/cab-raids-organised-crime-cars-5761979-May2022/

• Advertisement

Yeah it's very dependent on the watch itself. Today I'm wearing a 34mm and happy out, yesterday I was wear a 43mm and happy out. I've fallen asleep wearing those particular watches and just forgot I was wearing them. On the other hand(as it were) I very much notice wearing my 36mm Lip Nautic and way back in the day I liked my Omega Speedy, but never got used to wearing it for some reason. It never sat right and I tried it with a leather strap, a G10 and the bracelet I got it on. I only regret selling it when I did as a pre moon speedy with all the trimmings would get me a lot more cash today. I'd kick myself, but fear pulling a muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Hi folks - need help identifying a cartier watch I saw on someone's wrist over the weekend... didn't get a good look at it...

It was a gents watch - Round face.

He called it "slim", but it didnt seem radically slim

Gold unmarked bezel which seemed a little wider than normal to my eyes

White face...

No numbers on the face

Hour and minute hand only

Silver/titanium bracelet - which looked fairly standard.

I guess it was quite minimalist in its markings.

Sorry i know its not a lot to go on.

Muppet man

• Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Very little in the Cartier back catalogue that looks like that using some of those filters on Chrono24 isn’t returning much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

But funnily the amount that people mention their wrist size follows the inverse of the curve.

Ok.... I think I might have found it, though not exactly I described it.... maybe due to wear or just not as much an opportunity to see it

cartier 21 Must de Cartier is the closest I can find.... or a variant of it.

https://www.chrono24.com/cartier/cartier-21-must-de-cartier--id22205466.htm

Maybe he liked to wear ladies things.... ooooh matron... :)

I don't think it was exactly that model, but it's as close as I could find. But I could nearly swear there were no markings on the bezel, or more likely they were worn off over time.

That’s what I thought originally but it has romans on the bezel and they are pretty small , there is a ‘gents’ version which is tiny , my wife had one for a bit, very faint watch .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Chaps I came into a bit of money this week unexpectedly, a thank you from work for keeping the show on the road during covid. Nothing major but a few grand nonetheless and as I've not expected it and it is to mark a hard slog, I've decided to blow it on a watch.

What to get? I have a seamaster 300m as is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Congrats.A watch is definitely the best thing to spend that type of money on.I would suggest a Tudor black bay , gmt is particularly nice or the BB58 for something smaller or if it’s a dressier watch you want theres the Tudor royal.Will hold its value better than most if you decide to move it on at a later stage.

• Advertisement

I have been browsing Cartier Santos and Ballon Bleu mainly but also JLC polaris. I can hold off and stick the money into an unused credit union account in Ireland and be topping up until I can afford one of the above. Baby 1 is on the way and I recently bought my wife a constellation so spending a lump in addition is probably a little unwise.

I have my tool watch so to speak so maybe something with a leather strap for more formal wear. I wear business dress in work and the seamaster works with that but a dressier watch may be nice.

Post edited by James Bond Junior on

the current version of the santos is very nice, may be worth trying both sizes, i had the large in blue and it wears pretty big, maybe a little too big.

JLC polaris was a little underwhelming (had this one for a while https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/gb-en/watches/polaris/polaris-mariner-date-stainless-steel-q9068180)

I tried the polaris and loved it but I like things slightly different and not what everyone else has. I think something cartier is a no brainer because of that. But I'll have to hold tough and squirrel away a bit more.

Post edited by James Bond Junior on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I've been drawn to the Cartier Santos over the last month or so. If only I had the available money for it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

crazy suggestion but how about a Nomos dress watch and a lovely weekend away (with the spare change) before the little one arrives :P

What is the rate of VAT on watches? If I buy in Ireland I can claim VAT back as I am non resident.

Creamy goodness, this is a watch thread. Can you leave your common sense suggestions outside please. Man maths need only apply.

23%

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

The search function on this website has really gone to hell so excuse the question which most likely has been asked previously.

Can anyone tell me if watchfinder.ie is based in Ireland?

Can you try on the watches?

Is there haggle room in the prices?

Thanks

no, that's just a website. They have presence here and in the UK and their HQ in France though and any price agreed includes all shipping and taxes

no

yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Thanks @OmegaGene & @unkel may make an offer on a watch that seems very keenly priced.

Advertisement