Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

Yes they can, I travel with a caravan and when i have the caravan hitched I'm automatically charged as class 2 and when I’m in just the car im charged class 1. I wouldn’t be without the tag, it’s just so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Well I think that's me sorted. Thks for ur replies. Just need to check route and see is it worthwhile..👌🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Deeman83

Where did you buy the Crit'Air sticker for the LEZ in Paris?

Can you get them on the IF WB Yeats?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭josip

You have to buy them in advance. Make sure you buy from the official govt site (cheap) instead of a reseller (not cheap)

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

Anyone buy European breakdown insurance? I have googled and AA are the only carrier I could find. They are charging over €200 for 4 weeks which seems excessive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Just to give u a price comparison when people cud travel, €148 with AA for 2 wks in 2020 is what I paid on an X5. So not terrible..🤷🏼‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭kindalen

Is the AA the only company now selling this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Yeah cant see anyone else doing it. I paid the AA €188 last September for 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

A broker gave me a quote for about €30 with MIS https://misclaims.com/breakdown-recovery/

However they will only reimburse you after you figure it all out yourself over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just read the small print when buying the breakdown insurance. A few years back I purchased it and while killing some time one day I started reading the t&cs. One of the provisos for making a claim was that the car was regularly serviced as per manufacturers instructions at an authorised dealership. I get my car serviced but never done on the date required and the lad I use for years works from his home and services all kinds of vehicles and makes.

God forbid but if I did actually need to claim I don't think I'd actually be covered.

I don't know about other manufacturers but with Skoda if you get your car serviced on schedule at a main dealer per schedule, you get Europe wide breakdown coverage. I assume it's the absolute minimum of bringing the car to the nearest Skoda dealership who will request the PIN code to your bank account, but it does give some peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭webpal

Eurobreakdown.com have reasonable prices and I can’t see anywhere that it’s exclusive to UK travellers. I must contact them on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I've to book 2 odd nights at the end of our holiday this july as the campsite only does Sat - Sat rentals and our flight home is on a Monday

Anyone recommend any other website to look for them, apart from Airbnb?

We'd consider another rental in campsite for 2 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Shop around on booking.com and such. We found gites easily, some really brilliant places such as old castles and farmhouses.

Staying in a B&B also means that you don't have to unload the whole car and then reload it again, etc.

Thanks to all above for the tip on the ATMB tag, I just ordered one there.

I'll be doing a rapid transit from Roscoff to Hippocamp in Argles sur Mer (near Perpignan, 1139km) in June, facilitated by Brittany Ferries' early arrival at 07:00. Lovely. My co-pilot is a bit narcoleptic while travelling at motorway speed, so the tag will really help as I won't have to wake her and possibly end up picking the coins up off the ground. 😆

Justification for driving such a mad distance is that we can bring over almost everything and bring back even more, and it also brings back memories of similar journeys back in the 80's and early 90's (anybody remember Irish Ferries St Patrick and St Killian boats?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭McSween

(Any idea why this **** site jumps to a different part of the page?). All i pressed was reply.

yes, st killian and st patrick. One of them had II , it was extended. Love the ferry procedure. Queuing, then driving on. Then to the comfort of your cabin. It still seems the same as it did in the 80s. Much prefer oscar wilde layout than the wb yeats though.

I think it’s to do the ads down the bottom, hit the x to get rid of them

That's a completely reasonable distance to travel. Don't let anyone here or any where else try to convince you otherwise. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Oh memories, done that journey twice to Argeles. We drove it in the same day going but always do an overnight stop on the way back. It really is an exhausting drive ,thankfully the missus done her share of the driving. Factor in 2 fills of fuel plus tolls and your up close to €300ew. We'll be across the road in La Sirene in late june, looking forward to seeing all the upgrades they've done ..

• Advertisement

Ha, I'll look out for ya!

We'll be in a silver Peugeot 508 estate. Via Michelin says €211.29 (Tolls €68.70 + Fuel consumption €127) for fuel (diesel). Yeah, but look, we were locked-down for long enough!!

St Killian was extended, you're right there. Cut down the middle and had a section installed.

We were on it when it damaged the main engine in about 1990 on the way over to France. During the transit from Cherbourg to Dublin it was asked to loiter by the UK coastguard around an area where a submarine was having difficulties and it delayed the arrival into Rosslare from 14:00 to ~19:00 (you used to phone a number to get sailing updates just before you left home, so we delayed departure). Anyway we boarded and the captain made an announcement to apologise for the delay and that he'd increase the speed overnight to make up the lost time. Anyway as far as I remember we were all enjoying the late entertainment (some lad with a set of puppets/magician) and around 23:00 we noted a significant slow-down in the speed of the ship and thought nothing much of it... At about 7am when I woke it was obvious that we were not going anywhere fast and soon enough there was an announcement that the ship was going to be delayed due to a double engine-fault and that we were only running on a quarter power. The original ETA into Cherbourg was for ~10:30 that day, but they were hoping to be alongside at late evening.

As far as I recall there was some deliberation between many of the drivers and the crew/captain and it was decided that there was no point in offloading a pile of tired Irish drivers on the French roads at 9pm with no accommodation, so it was decided that they would slow-sail (I mean really slow) into Cherbourg and aim to arrive around 7am and let us all off.

Anyway the upside was that dinner and breakfast was free and we were free to depart between 7 and 10:30 (I think) and the boat was back running 2 weeks later for the return voyage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Anyone done the trip in an EV? Any tips on charging and paying for charging in France? Do most motorway stops now have chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭PeaSea

I see Irish Ferries now offer charging during the crossing, needs to be ordered at booking ... apologies if it's been mentioned before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

I asked a similar question over on the Irish EV owners FB group a while back. People who had done it seemed to say that Ionity and Chargemap would probably cover you from a charging perspective (although this was before Tesla opened up their superchargers) when on the main roads covering distance. But probably worth looking into the local charging network of where you are staying too. Also note a few providers charge per min not per kWh so fast charging to a warmed up battery is rewarded.

Use ABetterrouteplanner to plan your route/charges etc.

Doing it ourselves for the 1st time this summer, Cherbourg to Bordeaux. Can't wait. But would be happy to hear experiences of anyone who has actually done it. :-)

Re, onboard charging on the WBY, a) you need to book it and b) apparently it means you would be last off the boat.

I created a new thread for the EV discussions, perhaps we can move those over there and leave this thread to the booking/recommendation conversations?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

anyone affected by the WB Lates fiasco of 2018, looks like we're finally getting our EU-mandated compensation after IF ran out of appeal options (assuming the email I received isn't a scam).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭kindalen

Got an email re 2018 sailing too. Interesting to see how long refund takes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Does anyone have any recommendations for a campsite within a short enough distance of Disneyland? I'll be driving around in my campervan so don't mind an hour or so travel. I've a friend joining me who would prefer a chalet type thing to rent, but I might convince her to put a tent next to my van. Has anyone stayed around that part before? Camping de Paris sounds good. A 25 min cycle to the centre of Paris. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

When we went to Disney in 2013 we stayed in le Village Parisien campsite. It's 30 mins away in a nice rural location but close to the motorway network. It has all the usual amenities that you would expect in a French campsite.

Advertisement