Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭sceach16

Irish Ferries? Brittany Ferries do Cork/ Roscoff. We had 3 kids and us in the cabin all through the 80s and early90s. Maybe times / health&safety has changed. Ring their office in Cork......they are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

As stated, book a recliner, and get the kids to nose and tail on 1 of the beds. Cheapest option. Doing it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hi all,

It's that time of year again, (well actually it's not, we are usually well booked at this stage)

But due to the France's complicated sanitary pass and not knowing what requirements are going to be needed from kids in relation to negative tests I held off and looked at other options.

But after a lot of research, this morning I realised no other holiday suits our needs and what France offers, so I bit the bullet and booked the ferry.

I'm looking for some advice though and recommendations as I do every year and I've never been sent wrong, we go every year for between 4 and 5 weeks and we take in 3 to 4 campsites, we normally have a favourite which we stick with, then go back to a one we've taken a break from and also try a new one.

The kids are 4, 6 & 10 and our old favourite used to be Les Mouettes but two years ago thanks to a recommendation on here, Le Litterol near Talmont-Saint-Hilaire has overtaken it, the new one we tried last year was Port De Plaisance in Benodet which was also very nice & topped our previous Benodet campsite of Le Pont St Gilles which I noticed is now a Sandaya Campsite so maybe the entertainment will improve.

Just to give an idea of where we've stayed to save anyone recommending a place where we've been, as mentioned La Pont St Gilles, Les Mouettes, Les Ormes, Domaine de Kerlann & Le Grand Metairie.

Le littoral is probably the furthest we would travel so somewhere in north Vendee or mid to north west Brittany but that's not set in stone, one that has popped up on my radar is Le Ranolien so any info on that would be appreciated.

A big thing for us it beautiful nearby towns, villages and cities which is one of the reasons why we moved away from Les Mouettes, English speaking kids club is important and also good shows at night, not just bingo or quizzes, actually well produced shows and bands.

And if anyone has any questions about the above sites I would be delighted to help you out.

Thanks I'm advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

Does anyone know what the requirements are with the pollution stickers ?

We will be driving around France this summer but won't be in cities other than La Rochelle, driving through Paris.

Cannot tell on the official website what category car I land for a pollution sticker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

We stayed in Le Ranolien for a few nights, about 5 years ago.

Not in a chalet, we had a campervan.

Busy site, lots of kids of all nationalities, noisy enough from what I remember., and the inevitable pizza and icecream stands.

Had a range of kids activities, and a tiny little cinema in an small rustic stone building.

Not sure if I'd stay a full week, but it suited us as we made our way back to the ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

https://certificat-air.gouv.fr/

Select the correct category from the boxes under - Determining my classification - it will do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Hi, thanks for info.

was in mouetts, in 2019 and have 8 days booked again for july, i have 8 more days to book until boat home, would you recommend Port De Plaisance or les ormes? cant decide . have 2 young boys that love the pool and slides

TIA

Hi there,

The pool setup including the dome in Les Ormes is far superior than Port De Plaisance, the outdoor pool in PDP is really small and while the indoor pool in PDP is very large, there's only 3 slides and the lazy river Isa bit disappointing.

Other than that, the kids camps in yelloh are outstanding and the nighttime entertainment is also on another level.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I just checked Irish Ferries to finally book the trip. Out 23rd June, back 10th July...it was €1,950 back in Oct/Nov when I last checked. Now it's a stunning €2,800.

This is mental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Oh wow - that is a lot !

We are booked for June 29th and back in late July - €1,885 Flexi. Car, 2 Adults, 2 Teens, 1 4-Bed Cabin with window.

We had booked ages ago but needed to change our Dates last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

That is indeed mental!

Have you tried a day or two either side of the dates that brought up that figure?

Drive through UK and ferry/tunnel a real option at those prices, I see UK dwellers complaining about £200 ferry crossings...

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Our travel dates of 15 - 26 July is now 3.5k for the ferry. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭webpal

Ah here, I just checked my dates and it’s €4,264 without cabins! wtf! Glad we booked 2 weeks ago

Ours has gone up by €900 for August (2A3K) car and caravan... We booked last November 😲😲

I have just plugged in our details again and it is just short of €3k ! So, it has gone up by €1,100 in a week !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭webpal

Some good discounts for Eurocamp using this code - 22WKT02 or with Al Fresco using this 22WRKIT02 

The discounts apply per night to the accommodation base price and supplements based on the total holiday duration within the relevant date bands. The offer is subject to availability and a minimum duration of 3 nights with a maximum duration of 21 nights. The offer is only applicable to new 2022 bookings and cannot be applied retrospectively to an existing reservation. The offer is subject to the booking terms and conditions as stated on the Eurocamp website and cannot be combined with the any other Eurocamp offer or discounts.

The offer applies to Classic Tents, Safari Tents, Standard Mobile Homes, Azure Vista and Azure Accommodation (Chalets, Bungalows, Lodges, Azure Plus, Azure XL and Aspect accommodation are excluded)

The following parcs are not included in the offer AL013 – La Ravoire,

CA026 – Park Umag, , GR026 - Cote D'Argent, HL012 - Duinrell, IA012 – Pra delle Torri, IA015 – Union Lido, IA022 – Marina di Venezia, IL019 – Bella Italia, RV012 –

Les Prairies de la Mer, RV015 – Club Colombier, WM014 – Le Bois de Valmarie, WM017 – Canet La Brasilia for any 2022 holiday date.

The offer is only valid for bookings made between 16th December 2021 and 28th February 2022. The offer cannot be redeemed through travel agents. The code cannot be used in conjunction with cashback sites or any other third party website. Use of the code via these sites will result in cashback claims being declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 drilbit

We booked in Nov as well just shy of 2000 which I thought was madness at the time but we had a good bit in credit. Now we 3662 for 2A2K camper 4 bed std window cabin. Looking like our last year for France

Due to the increased costs of ferry etc in August, thought we would go back to June/July for 2023. Thought I'd price the ferry, its 2k more expensive than August if we were booking today for this year. Demand most be huge. 😲😲😲

Hey there, I've narrowed it down to three campsites for my last 9 nights and I'm looking for some advice from anyone who's stayed there.

It's between Port De Plaisance (we stayed last year for the first time)

L'ocean Breton (never stayed here)

Le Grand Metairie (we stayed here 3 years ago in mid June so it was off peak)

Any information or different opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Have a look at Camping Du Letty in Benodet. This will be our third year going there. We love it. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Is Le Clarys Plage all its cracked up to be? Is it true part of the site is across a road? Is there anyway to ensure you get located on the main site? Appreciate any advise. Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's a fantastic site. Been there 4 or 5 times over the years and will be there again in July, It is a big site so it can get very busy. The pool area is very nice with a couple of very good slides. Nice bar area and takeway too - both extended around 6 years ago. When our kids were younger, we preferred across the road as it was much quieter and it has a little playground too which was definitely quieter thatn the main site. Great location, right next to a large supermarket and a 5 minute walk to the beach. St. Jean de Monts is a very nice spot, fantastic long berach with restaurants etc and it's a very nice area for cycling. It has always been a favourite area for the Irish.

Only been the once and weren't impressed, but not because of facilities. We found it very busy, however we stayed across the road and that was nice and quiet (2A 3k). I thought it'd be an issue across the road but it's only 2 min walk. Facilities are very good, food very good and staff helpful. Place very clean. We love the location cause of the area and everything is easy to get to. But what put us off going again was kids running around at 11pm at night in gangs, kids in buggies late at night crying etc. So it's more a description of parents that let it down for us then the site. We'll go back to Les Eccurials nxt time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Back in this thread after a break of 3 years. Who are people using for breakdown assistance these days? Seems a lot of the providers are no longer quoting Irish customers.

I am getting really confused reading what is required for entry to France and while we are on the Campsites. I know this may change before end of June but I am just trying to understand the current position.

We will be 2 Adults (boosted), a 16 year old (boosted) and a 12 year old (2 doses, no Booster) who will be more than 270 days past second dose.

Does our 12 year old need a negative test to enter France ? What do both the 16 year old and the 12 year old need for the Pass Sanitaire and how often is Testing needed on the Campsites?

I know that the 12 year old will need a negative PCR Test to come home to Ireland.

Hopefully, Boosters will be available for 12-15 before we go but I just want to understand the current situation

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Deeman83

Anyone ever driven from Cherbourg to Disneyland Paris?

Any tips for the journey? I assume there are plenty of services along the route.

Also, are there many tolls?

Any advice on visiting Paris? I am thinking of using the Metro and parking the car up at the hotel. Is this the best way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Depending on the ages of your passengers you could do Cherbourg to Disneyland in 1 leg but with little-uns probably best to plan for 1 stop.

French peages are impressive, wide and loads of booths. Credit card will do you fine, but if you want to drive through, order one of these. You only pay for the months you use it.

If you use satnav, you'll probably end up being routed through the centre of Paris on the way. Great to tick off "seen the Eiffel Tower" box for another year. But since you're coming back into Paris to tour around, you'll be able to give it the time it deserves. We've always taken a train back in and used the metro to get around. Paris isn't that bad to drive around, but metro is easier and faster than trying to find parking every time. Unless you plan to go to Mont Marte, there's a bit of a walk from the nearest metro to there. Some places like the Eiffel Tour should be researched and might need to be booked in advance. Showing up on the day doesn't work for some attractions. My favourite place to go is Jardin du Luxembourg, there's a good playground, you can watch the locals play tennis and sail a boat on the pond. Super relaxing.

We love Paris, much prefer it to London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

as well as the Metro, consider using the city buses, you'll see a lot more of the city. +1 on the Jardin Luxembourg recommendation - a lovely spot.

Also recommend the Natural History Museum, Zoo and Gardens at Jardin des Plantes - our kids loved it when we were there (many years ago, but I just checked and it still looks great).

Advertisement