Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French Pres thread -2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,014 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Her "French first" policies will work in rural areas with little or no exposure to foreigners but most working urban people know full well that everything would collapse without immigrants.

Le Pen just like Trump and Brexit will only end showing that there is no easy solution to these "left behind" rural and regional areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I’d be surprised if they’re closer than 10 points difference. Le Pen was fairly useless in the debate. She had prepared but just couldn’t cope off script. Macron knew his stuff and could adapt as he went along.

Were any of them really gonna convince many people with that debate anyway.

I think voting or not voting Le Pen is something you already know where you stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Is it a bit of a case of relying on low turnout for her if there is a lot of apathy in France towards the politicians at the moment?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Very low in general, expected to be lower than last election.

• Advertisement

The number 1 problem with France is the population always wants their cake and to eat it too. We want to work 35 hours, have lots of holidays, free healthcare and retire at 60. And if you put measures in place to finance all that, then we’ll strike!

It's why I think protest candidates do well to a point. I bet a lot of people who were all talk during the primary will be secret Macron voters on the big day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Whatever about the rest of it retiring at 60 in this day and age is ridiculous. Like most retirement ages it was probably set at a time when the average lifespan wasn't much more than that and the majority of the population were doing physical work. Raising retirement ages is a bit like not opposing new housing - there's no political incentive to do it even though it is the sensible thing to do to stave off long term problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,336 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know that elections are always important but this the most important French presidential election in a while imo given the consequences should LePen win which wouldn’t be good for France or Europe. And I know the opinion polls have Macron ahead but brexit and Trump showed that opinion polls can be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Macron won as easy as the polls suggested, about 58% give or take.

Slightly better for LePen but she would have been hoping to have got 45+ which is highly unlikely.

58 vs 42 roughly. Not close. A leopard doesn’t change its spots and a lot of French just don’t trust Le Pen rather than fully support Macron.

Looks like so-so turnout which is perfect for Macron as the most solid voting base the boomers love Macron and loathe Le Pen.

Both far left and far right candidates are anti EU. It would be interesting to see a radical pro EU candidate in the final round. Personally I still think Hollande got a rough deal and he was about as close to what I am describing.

Melenchon v Macron would have been much more interesting, I reckon their is about 30% of the voting public who will never vote LePen which makes a win near impossible, Melenchon has his critics but I don't think their is as much resistance towards him.

It would just be the opposite of today where all the right and centre right line up to stop Melenchon.

I'm left and I wouldn't get behind Melenchon vs Macron. Too many populist BS policies in with the good ones

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I do not support Macrons politics but if that exit poll is true this is a huge relief. Did I read right that this is the first consecutive term in the history of the French Presidency?

The family of LePen is a total stain on french and European politics, the sooner they're made extinct the better. If there's any justice the Russian links will sink her - but then she hardly got nuked in the polls either. I still worry she'll eventually come good - she has time.

No Mitterrand and Chiraz both did it too but he is the first to also have a parliamentary majority whereas the other 2 lads blamed their problems on a legislative block.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Heraclius

The politics nerd in me wishes french elections were like the Irish/US and UK ones where we could be watching results for hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Le Pen has conceded the election.

• Advertisement

I'm the same. Would have loved a night of Le Pen fans circle jerking about"the bookies" like the US election night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,336 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just watching France 24 and a national rally MEP compared Le Pen to general De Gaulle. That’s a big claim.

Both were gobshtes in fairness. De Gaulle much like Churchill wasnt all that great when you take the war out of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I think he deserves some credit for helping bring the French war in Algeria to an end without a coup in France by the right wing officers in the army.

Ya but he done it by stepping in as the president they wanted. The reason it was him and no one else is because it suited the right wing. He was essentially appointed by coup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭quokula

I wasn’t following this very closely, I assumed Macron was going to win comfortably and the media were playing up Le Pen’s chances like they always do, seems like that is what’s happened again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Same as that, it seems to happen every French election.

A Le Pen does well the first day, and is well beaten by the establishment candidate in the runoff

Its a stupid system in fairness. I understand why the old parliamentary system didn't work in a batsht political landscape like France but surely a straight up single vote is better than this 2 round thing

Aye after Trump/Brexit all the attention was on Le Pen so it was so easy to churn out articles about how supposedly close she was to winning back in 2017 even though it was incredibly unlikely, somewhat similar this time round even though bar a nice week of polls in the lead up to the first round her chances were minimal.

If the niece runs next time expect her to get all the column inches as for an international audience like how Marion was she will be the candidate most people will want to read about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Absolutely delighted the Emmaneul MC Cron is back in and that wicked witch Le pen did not get into power. We have all been through enough the last decade with that other idiot who was in Power in America who's names I shall not mention as he does not deserve his name mentioned but basically he was a Clown with a Capital C. She would have took Franch out of the Euro and made all out futures very uncertain but thankfully she did not get into Power so good news good to hear and see.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement