Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

Was in Spain twice in last 4 months and those settings working.Didn't have to alter the settings already installed on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭dermo2014

I was in London over the Easter and had issues connecting to a network and getting data to work.

I have a dual sim phone so I could use the work vodafone sim straight away and later figure out 48 one.

48 didn't connect straight away and I had to use the 48 Sim app to get the international roaming profile option and eventually I connected to a network, although I forced a 3G/2G connection which may have helped initially but I reverted to 5G/LTE/3G/2G and it still connected to Vodafone UK and also O2 UK later in the week.

Data didn't work, I tried adding the APN suggested in the Troubleshooting Roaming Guide but that didn't work. I then deleted the APN (all APNs I think) and added a new one but updated the first 2 lines below and that worked also in the guide. Speeds were 3 to 8 meg.

1. Name- 48 Internet

2. APN - 48months.liffeytelecom.com

It did take probably a couple of hours off and on to get everything to work - very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Went to other end of the resort 2 days later and it suddenly started working.

Tried their suggested solutions but no solution. My phone battery was going flat as phone seemed to be working overtime trying to find network.

it’s not really acceptable is it? Can’t really depend on it. Is it just something you’d have to accept if you want to stay with 48?

It's going that way it seems.A lot of hit & miss.You pays your e7.99 and accept that kind of service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Couldn't buy a Membership using Firefox.

Had to switch to Chrome.

Thanks for the tip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in Belgium over Easter, 2 of the kids phones are on 48 and neither of them could get data regardless of what I did with the settings. Not great, will look into moving them to GoMo before we go abroad again.

48 support says it's customers are imagining all their problems while roaming.It's their fault or their 'phones

Have come across a problem with paying by Revolut.It seems there can be a "block" on payment within the app.Go to transactions and press on the 48 payment.There will be an option to unblock the payment.You will still have to repeat the payment for it to go thru.I have not tried it yet after unblocking

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gaz22

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cjc0101

The roaming issues are most likely, auto/manual network selection.

Trouble for some might be due to 48 being pushed onto 2g/3g o2 irl legacy network, aka old o2 IRL and off the three network.

3 never setup a 2g network and had roaming agreement with Vodafone ie,.

3 irl bought o2 irl & now own both networks, so 48/tesco mobile and others use o2 irl unless in strong 4g areas and use 3 irl 4g.

3 irl Sims uses 3g/4g unless only 2g on o2 irl is available.

Now o2 & 3 are 3g, so I think that's where the signal drops because I'm in an area with o2 3g & 3 irl 3g, my 3 sim seems to be more stable coz I only end up on 2g in a lift or shopping centre carpark. 48 here drops to 2g more often than 3 sim in same area cause 48 favours o2 2g/3g as I'm regularly at edge of 4g masts coverage area.

In my area 3g seem strongest, confusing 48 sim, I think 3 irl sim only uses o2 3g/2g as last resort.

• Advertisement

With data roaming in the EU the apn changes might be to do with the sim setup.

Look for sim toolkit (sim settings etc) when you open sim toolkit you should see a menu, when travelling in UK/EU in menu select when abroad, you might then see belgacom or proximus which is a Belgian telco network operator, they contracted to handle roaming for 48 because 48 has no network of its own to do roaming deals.

This change of settings in sim tool kit might help, & change the settings back to when at when you are back in the Republic of Ireland (26 counties).

This should help if apn keeps changing and blocking data/calls/texts

BTW which network or networks are available in northern Ireland?

Has anyone done a network check up north of the border.

Gomo uses EE, not sure about any other of the UK that gomo might work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Just worth mentioning. I have been with 48 now for a year, on the 7.99 a month offer. It is excellent, absolutely brilliant in Ireland. However I have been doing a lot of travelling this year and every country I have been in (UK, Portugal, Dubai) I have been unable to get my roaming working... This is even having spent a considerable amount of time messing around with APNs and all the rest as recommended online. Look for 7.99 I can't really complain, but just something to bear in mind. My GF is with 48 as well but she has an iphone, and when we have been away she has managed to get roaming working (albeit with considerable fiddling around) so maybe this is an android specific issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

3 phones on 48 here all no incoming or outgoing calls for the last hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

3 done a technical upgrade last night, may be related. Restart the phone and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Back to normal again all phones working.

48 connects to EE in N.I. which is owned by British telecom.On the dowtime issue today.I lost i/c and o/g calls today from 4.20pm until 5.50pm approx.Data and SMS were unaffected

Is anyone on virgin mobile? Was there any issues? Or any people on tesco or lyca mobile etc, any network issues? Asking because I think tesco, 48, & lyca mobile were all o2 irl before 3 bought them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

There are 3 main mobile operators in this country - ROI.All the others are MVNOs

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

I've been a Spain a few times over the last few months and I had no issues with roaming at all. Just had to restart the phone and everything worked as expected.

However I went to Italy last week (also with a new phone) and I couldn't get my phone to register at all on any Italian network. Every few minutes I would get a popup saying refreshing SIM data etc. Luckily I had in the second SIM tray a Vodafone SIM so I just enabled that to give me data. I left the 48 on to see it it would eventually register. It didn't all it did was drain my battery. My friend who is on 3 bill pay had a similar issue registering on the network but after a few attempts they were able to manually select a network.

Next day I read the trouble shooting guide and I couldn't see anything I was doing differently. I did then read that in some countries they have turned off the 3G network so I decided to try limiting the network mode only to 2G as at least that wouldn't be oversubscribed and once I did that I was able to finally register on the network. I then changed the network mode to 2G/3G and the data started working too. After finally getting this working I turned off my second SIM and for the rest of the week I worked off the 48 one without any issues.

So TL;DR try limiting network mode only to 2G then after successfully registering switch to 3G.

Also think if you have a dual SIM phone just pay the 5e for the Vodafone 5GB for 28 days when abroad and use that instead.

On a unrelated note when on a bus travelling on the M1 and I noticed at some parts my phone had connected to a 5G network. Ran a speed test and got back 300Mpbs. See other people have noticed it too and given more technical detail over on this thread https://confusedbird.com/thread-146.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Any prospect 48 will go 5G in the future. I'm getting a 5g phone which will work on 3's 5G network as it has the required bands.

I know 3 now have a payg 5g plan for €25 a month. I'm be happier with my 2 X 48 sims plan but the problem is data has been slowing down to annoying levels at peak times lately. I'm quite close to the mast so I know 5G would be better for data but I'd still rather have 2 sims than one.

I did read elsewhere I might get a better data connection anyway with a 5G phone,on a 4g service. Is there any truth to this, sounds a bit technically off.

I suppose I could get a one off month with 3's 5G's plan to see if it's worth it. I'm close to the mast so should be faster anyway whatever about peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

I know it's hidden at the end of long post about roaming but if you read the bottom of my post just above your one I've stated I've been able to connect to 5G masts using 48. I found more technical information given here https://confusedbird.com/thread-146.html on it. However I doubt they will offer 5G to everyone and it's only in cases were the only available mast just so happens to be a 5G one that you can avail of the 5G network. I remember when 48 launched you could only get 3G and 4G was only for people on O2 network.

As for you speed it sounds like your node/mast is oversubscribed at peak times maybe try and connect via 3G (instead of 4G) as I would suspect that network isn't as heavily subscribed to and you might get better speeds.

Check out https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/ to see if any of the masts near you are 5G (NR) as you have to be pretty close to the mast to avail 5G as the signal doesn't travel as far compared to 4G etc.

I know it's hidden at the end of long post about roaming but if you read the bottom of my post just above your one I've stated I've been able to connect to 5G masts using 48. I found more technical information given here https://confusedbird.com/thread-146.html on it. However I doubt they will offer 5G to everyone and it's only in cases were the only available mast just so happens to be a 5G one that you can avail of the 5G network. I remember when 48 launched you could only get 3G and 4G was only for people on O2 network.

Yeah I sorta more meant if there was any chance they might offer it as a membership option in the future, like 3 are doing now, at an increased charge. I suppose noone could know that here. Time will tell.

As for you speed it sounds like your node/mast is oversubscribed at peak times maybe try and connect via 3G (instead of 4G) as I would suspect that network isn't as heavily subscribed to and you might get better speeds.

Yeah probably is. Never thought of using 3G to get faster speeds! Seems counter intuitive but I see what you mean.

Check out https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/ to see if any of the masts near you are 5G (NR) as you have to be pretty close to the mast to avail 5G as the signal doesn't travel as far compared to 4G etc.

Yeah checked that already. I'm like 100 meters from an NR.

I'll see what I get next week on 48 when I my new phone arrives. If no improvement I'll trial 3 for a month. I'll report back on whether or not I get a better data service with a 5g phone. I'd never get anything like 300mbps or even 100, more like 12 lol.

edit: just read that confusedbird link your provided, looks promising as as i said I'm very close to the mast.

Post edited by AllForIt on

@not1but4

I took my new 5G phone and my 4G+ capable phone near to the tower today. I got 150Mbps on the 5g phone and 12Mbps on the 4G+ phone.

The curious think is (I used Network Info Lite app) which shows the frequency bands were being currently used, and both showed the same band (band 3)

So I don't know why I got 10 times the speed on the 5G phone when it's using the same band as the 4G phone.

edit: I'm hardly 1KM from the tower and in a black spot, anyone know anything about mobile signal boosters?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Has the service been absolutely brutal for anyone else lately?

I constantly get disconnections, data being down.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

i'll leave a link to the other "48" thread here, in case someone else needs help with roaming.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119085143/#Comment_119085143

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

thanks came here just for exactly that. Heading to Paris next week for the Champions League final so could really do without any of the hassle I had with 48 roaming the last time I was abroad

Advertisement