Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod note Post #1 - All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2022 (Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I've not seen anything from Waterford so far that makes me think they can stop Limerick.

Nice to watch though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Didnt realise Michael Ryan was back with Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Their form line of beating Wexford and Cork comfortably in the latter stages of the league might certainly have seen them over estimated.

Wexford were poor last night and Cork were rubbish today, so it looks like Waterford still have it all to do to close that 11 point gap to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

No. I agree. It's a similar type game to Cork and the Limerick physique is well ahead, I think.

• Advertisement

True enough. Limerick were the most impressive team by far, a lot of poor performances.

Tipp and Laois did well, given expectation.

Two boys said fcuk this Dessie we're not standing for an hour and a half 😅

Moulding Galway 2017 veterans and new talent is a challenge, style of play etc.

That mightnt be a bad point in Wexford in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

They won the league with probably 10 of their first 15 out. The standard of the players coming back into their team is very high. Next weekend will tell another piece in the tale.

Matthew O'Hanlon's grandfather Mick, from the 50s team, the last farmer in Wexford to buy a tractor according to the late Ned Wheeler!

Believed a horse was far better for ploughing.

• Advertisement

Derek McGrath stated that the absolutely blatant throw that Cian Lynch was penalized for today was in fact a legitimate handpass. How can anyone one take him seriously?

The slow mo really showed that one up. I wonder about him sometimes too.

I was so surprised when he said Waterford were the team to beat in championship. It was like he begrudged Cahill getting praise for his style of play with Waterford and wanted to put pressure on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,875 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

If this weekend is anything to go by the only throws that are penalised will be between the two 65s. Refs haven't the balls to blow for blatant throws around the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think its time for the GAA to bring in two referees for hurling.

The game is too fast and the pitch too big to spot all the fouling prevalent in the game.

This playing on the edge/physicality has to be called out for what it really is, persistent fouling.

Well the obvious answer is for umpires to call more than just scores. Gillane for instance gets pulled about 10 times a game and umpires stand round like numpties doing nothing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

He also never mentioned Patrick Curran by name even though he was man of the match and kept calling Waterford we even though he hasnt managed them in over 4 years- something odd going with that man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Correct. So many throw balls in today's two matches and hardly any blown. Every team may follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Does not suit the narrative though.

Saturday night is the biggest Munster championship game in a long time. Its men v men, kill or be killed🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Unless Waterford have about two more gears, in terms of defensive tactics and commitment, they won't beat Limerick in the All-Ireland series. Too big, too strong, too developed in tactical formations and execution. They're a big strong python that strangles the life out of a team's space. All credit has to be given to the management of the Limerick team for taking the league for what it is at this stage of their project and the squad listening to the same voice/tactics, for what six years? Changed it up again, a few tweaks here and there, some fresh faces, a little tune-up on a well-oiled machine. Limerick will get better as the year goes on.

Cork look like a team who haven't grabbed the nettle and got rid of the old characters. Still not enough youth involved to invest in the future. Kingston and his management team ain't up to it. Lehane, club form and all, is not up to it at that Limerick level. Neither is Horgan. Not anymore. A lot of dead wood in that Cork team.

Waterford, unlike Cork, have learned from their Limerick maulings, in formation and approach. But they've never really broken the Limerick lines before, never mind consistently enough to get the goals to really get Limerick worried. Limerick have always shepherded Waterford where they want them to go - contained them. And I can see the same thing happening again.

I know it's only the first round and kinks will be ironed out. But Limerick have not only looked the best team around, they look like the team who can improve most too. Waterford still trading on emotion too much. Limerick are a cold-blooded machine - that's ultimately what it looks like. But it's just smarts on the ball and that's it. I think, what's becoming evident to me in the last year or so, is that the smarts on the field is even better than the smarts on the line and there's no other team that can say that at the moment. You can talk about all the white boards you want, but for me those Limerick players, particularly 1-9 are well able to read the opposition and adjust. It's year 6 and it still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree. They suss out the style of play of the opposition in the first 10 minutes and then change the game plan to counter that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There was an overhead throw for Waterford's first goal. Completely ridiculous stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Fantastic summary. The type of post that makes Boards tolerable....

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

If the refs are to blow for throws or even blatant throws the game would be a never ending free taking competition. Itc crying out for a rule change that is desperately needed. The refs have an impossible job to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I hear you but some of them are more egregious than others.. they just can't be ignored.. and that one led to a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

Jaysus lads there's some shite being spoken here. Firstly, it was only the first round & limerick have already won the AI apparently. Secondly, i can guarantee you if Waterford beat limerick next week, you'll all be saying limerick were just shadow boxing & they'll beat Waterford when it matters. Thirdly, Cork are shite. Fourthly, there is no way anyone can really tell when a hand pass is legitimate. The players are so quick at it now that the strike is too hard to see. Calum lyons was pulled for a throw when there was a clear strike. Somettimes the strike is not even clear in a slow motion so there's not a hope of the ref seeing it in live action.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

From Day 1 under Kiely the six inches between their ears has been the most important distance Limerick have travelled. Their composure and ability to dictate the terms of engagement in a match is so far unrivalled.

For anyone to beat them you'll have to be able to take on their two wing backs in a physical battle and win. No-one has looked like doing that lately.

Limerick's decision making under pressure is excellent.

McGrath started praising everything Austin Gleeson last night. Yes he hit a great sideline and took good scores. But before the sideline he hit a ridiculously silly long range effort. And he's liable to do what he did against Wexford at anytime. He has every skill but will never become a great player because his decision making hasn't improved since he was 20 and he's 27 now.

I don't want to be slating Waterford, there was pressure on them yesterday and they came away with a win. But all this talk of the strongest panel in the country etc is doing them no favours. The Kerrys and Kilkennys in their pomp always play themselves down. A team trying to emerge from an almost 60 year gap to their last all ireland have enough to do without silly hype.

There's no team you can count on under pressure like Limerick at the moment. They're not unbeatable but the team you can most rely on. The way they handled the early Cork goals yesterday and in the All Ireland, just a minor pothole on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Refereeing performances continue to undermine GAA.

Yesterday there were a ridiculous number of crucial decisions in the Tipperary Waterford game which were not called by the ref and all of which benefitted Waterford. The throw for the goal, the red card for the wild swing, and the keeper pawing the ball on the ground about 3 times right in front of me just before half time in the goalmouth scramble.

It's actually disgusting how often the referee has a deciding impact on the game for doing their job atrociously.

Advertisement