Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod note Post #1 - All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2022 (Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

The hurling league format of 2 even groups of 6 would be more suited for the championship but the provincial councils will never agree to it.

The 3rd and 4th placed provincial teams could be the Preliminary Quarter-finalists, with home advantage for the 3rd placed team.

The McDonagh winner then however, including Kerry, would have to be guaranteed promotion as a compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,573 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Some fans actually still like the provincial championship too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 914Deise

Would it be possible to do both. Have your provincial championships. Then all teams back in with open draw for 2 groups of six like you mentioned. Seed the provincial winners and maybe runners up 1 and 2 in each group. You'd probably have to end the league altogether or much earlier in the year.

Provincial championship would have to be straight knockout and possibly less games in the league to accommodate this.

Speak for yourself. Coming from Limerick the Munster championship still matters hugely to me. I remember going to games (not exactly long ago) where any sort of championship win was beyond us and a provincial title was dreamland stuff. To have won as much as Limerick has in the last 4 years hasn't made Munster any less valuable to me.

Agree on your other points though, timing is key and the set-up of Munster can make it harder to win an All Ireland.

That's just a backdoor way to killing the provincial championship. It would become a warm up tournament. The current system finally put fear back into the provincials which is the way it should be.

• Advertisement

I watched the 2013 Munster final with a spoiled Cork friend who was baffled about how excited I was and how much I celebrated (drunk) our 2013 Munster final win. How times have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Munster is hurling gold. The Leinster Championship 2019 was a cracker to be fair though. 4 teams finished on 5 points. The defending champions Galway finished 4th. Dublin lost out to Laois then in the Preliminary quarter-final.

Leinster carries the can of automatic relegation. The Leinster fixtures are sensible in that Laois and Westmeath play the final game. It'll essentially be a relegation final.

Dublin, Galway, Kilkenny and Wexford will go into the final round with at least 2 wins each. If Wexford (home advantage) beat Galway in Round 1 and Galway (home advantage) beat Kilkenny in Round 3, my prediction after 4 rounds is: Wexford 8, Kilkenny 6, Galway 6 and Dublin 4. Round 5: Kilkenny v Wexford and Galway v Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Can we have a rule where Munster people who value the provincial championship are allowed to keep it, but can no longer also whinge about how much easier it is for Leinster teams to get into the All Ireland phase? I think that would be a good compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Donohoe up to his old simulation tricks?

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Shocking amount of steps for the Galway goal. It's a joke at this stage. And what a poor crowd.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Galway goalie making a meal of that tackle

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Summer hurling me swiss

The GAA have made a mess of the calendar

Awful game . Just shocking. Like a bad league game. Terrible ref,crowd and play. A lethally bad start to the championship

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

The goalie puts it over and then the terrible Galway goalie gives away a point. Junior b

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭letsseehere14

At the end of the championship last year it was widly accepted that every Munster team was ahead of all in Leinster. Judging by that 1st half. That hasn't changed.

Galway have the players to improve from where they are but that was a poor half from them, and they're well ahead. Wexford have been as poor as the attendance.

I thought Wexford were supposed to have the best fans in the country? Have the GAA seriously misplanned this calendar?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭skaface

Plenty of Wexford fans there, not many Galway supporters id imagine..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

A poor crowd? Both stands and one terrace full

That’s tough on Whelan and a blow to Galway. Their best forward today

Nothing but a page of moaning. It's definitely championship time.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭letsseehere14

One terrace is not full. At most 20% full behind that goal. The other terrace closed. Wexfords biggest home game this year. It's a poor crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

For someone working out in a field with just a phone who's winning between Galway and Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Better second half. A bad ref,no doubt about that. Phantom frees and frees not given when fellas were pushed in the back and worse

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭conor05

Not long home, Couldn’t believe how poor Galway’s support was.

Are they usually that bad or just waiting for the home games to get behind the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Westmeath really putting up to Kilkenny

Laois also beating Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Westmeath giving it a good lash against the mighty cats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Poor game, crazy starting championship and its not even Easter.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Laois hardly going to beat the Dubs again?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement