Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murders of two gay men in Sligo

• 13-04-2022 5:59pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The shocking and gruesome murders of two gay men in Sligo Town over the past couple of days is a kick in the teeth for the LGBT community, the people of Sligo and anyone who believes in a harmonious and just society in general.

Such senseless and wanton savagery inflicted on two harmless men and it looks like a hookup or dating app was the common denominator - Gardai have arrested a suspect in his 20s.

I really thought Ireland had long since moved on from the dark days of the 1980s when gay men like Declan Flynn and Charles Self were murdered in homophobic hate crimes and I know that tremendous social progress for the better has been made in the past 30 years - but I also feel that since the 2015 same-sex marriage referendum, successive govts since then have taken their eye off the ball on LGBT rights and a sense of complacency had set in.

These murders have shaken me and many others - gay and straight. I dearly hope that the brutal murders of these two men are not in vain and that stalled hate crime legislation is finally enacted.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

Advertisement