Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

I'm a fan of Seamus and wish nothing but the best for him. Who wouldn't be a fan after his resolute journey from obscurity to the prominence of the top 50. Only golf aficionados and members of his close circle would've known his innate ability and potential. I assumed his career would fizzle out and he would disappear off the radar.

I fervently hope I'm wrong but my expectation is that he'll miss the cut ...as many great players have already done e.g. Dustin Johnson ,

Garcia , Koepka , McIlroy , Ballesteros, Westwood. In all 11 defending Masters champions have missed the cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,222 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Masters is ruined already On Sky Sports. Its Tiger this and Tiger that. I think we’ll see very little of anyone else. Tiger Tiger Tiger. Fed up of it already and we haven’t even seen anyone drive off yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ah come on. It'll literally be the same everywhere - It's the biggest story. It's actually borderline incomprehensible that he's playing this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭dublin49

Not unimagineable he turned up but will be something if he competes at business end of things.Saw shots of him on Sports news and thought he was limping quite noticeably.

So many people said he may never swing a club ever again. It's a huge story. Can't see how anyone would honestly say otherwise nor not understand why Sky etc. are doing this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,222 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Doing it is one thing. Overdoing it is another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Tiger looks like he is doped up putting there.

In the scheme of things they are not overdoing it. It makes sense that all eyes would be on him.

In fairness, drug testing in golf is non-existent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Scrabbel

Just loving the way the Masters app and site lets you see every shot of every player. Good steady start by Seamus after 2.

• Advertisement

We don't need to see him standing in the fairway waiting to take shots, I haven't seen one matsuyama shot even may have missed it it was onky one its a joke.

I dunno. But I do know this is the Seamus Power thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Seamus playing steady enough golf but has missed 3 chances for birdie from inside about 10 feet. He needs to start taking advantage of good approach play.

the masters app is great and in reality we should be able to follow our man for his full round,the fact we can't would suggest there is no demand for that which is very strange as you would think every golf fan has a personal favourite.

Hasn't birdied any of the par 5's. That is usually a strength of his and he had birdie putts on all 4 but look at Willett as an example of a player who was -4 on the par 5's today. It helps your round so much around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

No 3 putts for Seamus yesterday which is fair going in difficult enough conditions with the wind, on probably the hardest greens anywhere in the world.

Frustrating in the fact that there were no birdies but he gave himself plenty of opportunities which is very encouraging. There weren’t many mistakes made and where he did make mistakes he got himself out of jail with a couple of good 5 or 6 foot putts for par. Encouraging start though and a 70 today would probably be enough to make the weekend.

The app is brilliant, so much better than the PGA Tour app and updates significantly quicker too.

He's not having much luck today and 3 bogeys in the last 4 holes. He needs to steady the ship and he can still make the cut as it's not easy out there. Still no birdies after 32 holes doesn't help but just one 3 putt helps keep him in contention. The run from here to 13 is crucial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Xander10

Too early for predicted cut? Might need to find a birdie or two

I think it could be +4 or +5 but that depends on whether the wind gets up later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,477 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

There's a data website that's currently predicting +4, but of course a lot of golf to be played.

https://datagolf.com/live-predictive-model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

+6 now and the wind seems to really have ran out of his sails.

Was hoping he would at least make the cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I should post more, he just birdied 13 after been all over the place with his first 2 shots!

If he gets back to +4 I think he’d definitely make the cut. That’s currently tied 53rd - on average scores are well above par so you’d expect the field to fall back. I actually reckon +5 would do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Cracking tee shot on 16, a birdie there and two pars to finish should be plenty.

Seamus driving it well last few holes

Huge birdie on 16, and cutting moves to +4

Down the middle on 18. Par will guarantee weekend golf.

That surely gets him through to the weekend. Great showing on his first masters.

• Advertisement

-2 for last 6 holes. Great performance.

Absolutely unreal by him today, the round could easily have slipped away and the head dropped. Kept in there and very likely get his reward with some weekend golf at Augusta.

Great stuff by him to stay patient and bring that back. Making the cut on your first Masters is excellent. I think he's been playing very cautiously by his standards, leaving a lot of putts on the short side and laying up when in doubt. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a bit more aggressive tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Absolutely fantastic last 6 holes from Seamus, for a few years he has been close but elite golf is so tough and when one does not have a schedule it is nearly impossible. The ability to have a schedule this year and next, will imho give him a really good chance of making the Ryder Cup.

He will easily make the cut with the wind getting up & the green drying out, the top 16 get in for next year so by the end of the day he is likely to be only 3 shots off that mark with an early start tomorrow, it is all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

Nothing more predictable than that you would be in with a classless gloat. 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Xander10

especially for a player "completely out of his depth" . Looks like he will be around for the weekend unlike some big names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Yes, you have to hand it to him. Barring a very unusual change in the weather, I think that pretty much guarantees him making the cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Great effort by Seamus to make the weekend considering he was facing into the back 9 not having had a birdie in the tournament yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

What a great back 9 from Seamus today, when the chips were down he got aggressive and it paid off. He was probably a bit too tentative yesterday, I don’t think he took on any par 5 but he can flake away over the next two days now and enjoy himself.

He’ll be inside the top 40 in the world come Monday morning and more Fedex points coming his way. A great achievement and I’m absolutely delighted for him. It was a struggle for him today and it looked to be slipping away from him. His face on 12 when he thought he had the ball stitched to the hole said it all. I’d say he was thinking what did he have to do to get a break but he played very well coming home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It was well deserved after the dig at Seamus, personal insults towards me, fairy stories, and apparent complete lack of golfing knowledge.

• Advertisement

Seamus just hit the pin with his second at the par 5 2nd. It was fairly travelling though and he ended up 50 feet away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Hes really butchered the par 5s from great positions today. Pity could have put himself right up the leaderboard.

One birdie from 10 attempts at reachable par 5's is really holding him back

Great chip and run birdie on 18 for another 74. That may not look too bad at all today with the wind the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Whatever way you look at it, it’s another few world ranking points for Seamus and, apart from being his first chance to experience what it’s like playing in a major, it will improve his chances of playing in the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They're hardly going to start testing him at this stage.

Well done Seamus, rather than being out of his depth, he was thrown in at the deep end and survived. A learning experience for him and a few more.

He’s shown that he can mix it in that company now. His showing against Scheffler in the match play where he was still tied going down 12 having gone toe to toe from the start looks even better in hindsight.

Final round 70 and level par for the weekend. Currently T-26 but that will probably drop a few places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Seamus did ok, especially for his first Major

Didn’t want to say this until now but to have nothing worse than bogey in all 4 rounds on a Masters debut is outstanding stuff. Could even sneak into Top 25 at +4. Fantastic week’s work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement