Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Morgans

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

An interesting coincidence I spotted on JT Poston's Wikipedia page. His first professional tournament was as a Monday qualifier in the 2016 United Leasing & Finance Championship on the Web.com tour, a tournament won by a certain Mr. S. Power of Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Motivator

I was talking to a mate of his earlier this morning, they’re all still in shock I think. It’s such a strange feeling I think because he was done and dusted after his three putt on 15. I think he was 4 or even 5 shots behind then and he was entering the hardest three holes on the course. He almost birdied the last three in a row as well, his putt on 17 lipped out.

Its easy for people to read the headlines this morning and think it’s great he has his first win. You need a deeper understanding of his career over the last couple of years to fully appreciate how big of a win it is. From battling in Monday qualifiers and getting in having been 4th alternate two weeks ago. It’s just mad altogether to actually see that he’s got a win under his belt now.

The pressure is off to a certain extent but it’s also back on to try and get some money banked now. He’s won $4.5m in his career to date now. He’s a tour pro 10 years now so it’s not money that has turned his life upside down. That happens when he bags a win at one of the main events where the winner’s prize is over $1m. Confidence wise though he must be absolutely brimming with it. Who knows what he could do now.

He's not eligible for the Ryder Cup. Has to be a member of the European Tour to be able to play. I think he will have plenty more to focus his mind on in the coming weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭Trampas

We need the title updated on this thread. Great to see Seamus get over the line. We might see him on these shores next summer for Irish open and hopefully not having to defend his title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I fell asleep after Seamus had played the 15th and woke up as Poston was coming down the 18th in regulation. Couldn't believe my eyes.

Absolutely thrilled for Seamus Power. He was very cool throughout the playoff. Very impressive.

Was way more exciting than the Open earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I dont think he is eligible! If he was then I think he would be very close to been on the team

Last nights win would have been worth 48 points. His last 6 events worth 95 points which alone would have him 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Spotted that myself and was coming on to post. There was alot of that same field playing last night also, Chalmers, Schenk, Potter Jr, Campos, Bo Hoag.

It was better than the Open, after Lowry failed to eagle the 7th, all I looked forward to was Seamus. Glad I had a 6 pack for company.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hallowed

As a member of West Waterford I couldn't be prouder. Sad times for our club at the moment but last night made the future seem a little brighter.

Hopefully the exposure might help at the auction end of this month.

As for Seamus, I can't wait to congratulate him in person this week. And maybe ask him to keep the good form up as I might not now have to keep refreshing shot tracker every 2 minutes from Thursday to Sunday .

Well done Seamus. We couldn't be any prouder.

• Advertisement

Crazy to look at how bad a season he was having up until 2 months ago!

Some run and some turnaround

Now by far his best season ever

(see 2021 results at bottom of page)

https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.28252.seamus-power.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Everyone in the locality is hoping the members can hang on to the club. Best of luck to you all.

He hasn't missed a cut since AT&T at Pebble beach back in February. 4 rounds every tournament sharpens your game. No replacement for competitive play.

well he certainly turned it around brilliantly as said but he was nevertheless in his worst position for any of his normal season (e.g. non-2020 with much reduced events) PGA years in terms of ranking position at that point of the season (mid-season) up until the Byron Nelson in mid-may when he was 195 in the Fedex rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The thing that struck me about the playoff (before I succumbed to tiredness) was how relaxed and happy to be there he seemed to be compared to Poston. JT seemed to be hyper focused and Seamus was having a laugh and joke on a few occasions which probably took the edge off for him. Still can’t believe he won that. After the 3 putt on 15 I was doing the scenarios in my head to see if he could hang onto top 10.

Not only was he looking at missing out on his PGA card, he was also in danger of missing out on the Korn Ferry playoffs which would have been an absolute disaster. I don’t even know what way he would have been fixed for any events next year if that had happened. Thankfully it didn’t!

I keep going back to what I said on here a few weeks ago. All of these guys are separated by a couple of shots over the course of the entire season based on their scoring averages and they are all elite players. Whether they are number 1 or number 200 in the world rankings, they are exceptional players. Anyone who ever doubted Power’s ability as a player just needs to look at the route he took to get to the PGA tour, he’s done from the very bottom up. Regional tours, mini tours, the Korn Ferry tour and the Monday qualifiers. The Korn Ferry is an absolute snakepit and all the tournaments you need your A game for almost every single shot it’s that competitive. It’s the same with the Monday qualifiers, a player needs to be shooting 8 or 9 under to even have a chance of getting a spot in the actual event. Any player coming on to the main tour off of the KF are seriously respected by the PGA tour guys as well. They all know how hard players need to work to get on to the main tour.

The relief I feel today after the win last night is unreal, I can’t imagine how the man himself must feel. There was one particular tournament I know I’ve mentioned it on here before, he got into his car and drove 4 or 5 hours to the event because he was 3rd or 4th alternate. He got in at the very last minute, played for 2 days and missed the cut. Imagine driving that distance to not do yourself justice and to not make any money, then drive all the way back home. The resolve he must have must be unreal. He also missed out on qualifying for the Korn Ferry by 1 shot two years running. Imagine working your arse off all year to miss out by 1 shot two years in a row? How would you pick yourself up again?

Anyway, he did the business last night and the security he must feel today must be some relief when you think of the position he was in at the start of May. Top class player and a top class guy.

Hopefully it's a monkey off his back now with having the full card for the next couple of years and even the other thing with the PGA pension for the 5 years of 15 starts - a lot of security there between the two of those elements.

Obviously if anyone has been following him for the last number of years he was always in PGA Tour card survival mode pretty much (or very much really!).

I wonder now if it might really "free him up" to play better more consistently - time will tell.

I see that at the end of last season he ended up on 151 in the Fedex rankings - would that not have been outside the 125 to 150 for the restricted invites to the PGA events - if so how come he was getting PGA Tour invites this season? - something to do with Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'd never seen him hot a ball before last night, though had been following here for a while, with interest.

What struck me is his aggression, in the last 3 holes and throughout the playoff. Went for everything. Real conviction to every shot.

Was interested in the interview afterwards when he said he didn't know the leader board situation the last few holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Hopefully the win will help the club keep alive. Have you a link for the auction if its online?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

Looks as if Seamus has withdrawn from this week’s tournament. Can’t say that I blame him for wanting a break after playing four weeks in a row and now finally being in a position where he doesn’t have to avail of every single opportunity to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

If you get a chance please tell him that he made a lot of real golf fans on this forum very happy very late on Sunday night and so glad to see all his work pay off. (Even those who had to rely on the forum for updates.). And the best of luck to you with the club’s future.

He also had COVID not so long ago so to hit the heights he has done over the last 3 months is some achievement.

For his last 6 events, which is 108 holes of golf, Seamus is 82 under par. To have only one win with that kind of scoring I think would have to be some kind of record. No player has been in better form on the PGA tour since May.

I think that you may have gotten a bit excited in your calcs there -> 82 under for 108 holes of golf certainly would be a record at an average round of well under 60 stokes for 6 rounds!

you obviously mean for 6 x 72 holes = 432 holes of golf

I’m blaming the sun and the few beers last night for that mistake! I’m glad you know what I meant anyway. 82 under is phenomenal scoring considering how out of form he was not so long ago. The Byron Nelson was the start of it all for him and all because of the lay out of the course. It was a new course that just suited his eye and his style of play. He hasn’t looked back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Started following this account due to Seamus - and have really enjoyed his coverage ‘“behind the scenes” at the Barracuda this weekend

Interesting to see an up to date estimate of what it costs to be the journeyman almost-tour player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Be interesting to see how Seamus fares in his first tournament after his win. I'd say a few beers were had in Tourneena 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yes I've started following that guy recently as well, his blogs from his week caddying on the PGA tour were very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Solid -3 1st round in the Wyndham. 3 off the leader.

• Advertisement

Good solid round for Seamus, only dropped shot of the day came at the last. He seemed fairly happy in his post round interview and I’d say after limited enough practice over the last couple of weeks I’d say he’d have taken a -3 no problem before the round.

Hopefully the start of another great few days for him. These next few tournaments are what you’d have to call silly money tournaments and if he can get into the top 70 and get into the BMW he could do wonders for his bank account.

Advertisement