Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air to water heat system so expensive?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

red_bairn wrote: »
    When my parents were in New Zealand last Feb-April to see their grandson, brother and all I was back at their house with my wife and child and we spent 137 per month during those colder months (1970s semi-detached house, think it is energy rating is a D, might be higher now with spray insulation in the attic).

We moved out to our own home just after Christmas and we are due our bill from Energia in a fortnight. Currently we are at 200 € for 6 weeks use (113sqm; 3 bed terraced). We tend to be heavy users with laptop, personal pc on all the time and running showers a lot when we wash down the little one. So I reckon the bill may be around 255 when it comes in (it was estimated to be 145 2 weeks ago).

We used 1364 units (0.1938e per unit) between the 14th Dec until 4th Feb.
    298.56 in total (inc.Standing Charge [23.07], PSO Levy [11.15]) but then surprisingly a discount of 41% was applied, which we didn't realise we would get, and then cashback for signing up Online.

This brought the bill down to 180.85 although it won't be that low forever so we will have large bills at the end of the year when the large discount is gone. :(

It will be handy to work out the energy per day as per the OP to see how much energy we are using up (but on average per day it would work out 1364/53days = 26).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭CoBo55

red_bairn wrote: »
    We used 1364 units (0.1938e per unit) between the 14th Dec until 4th Feb.
    298.56 in total (inc.Standing Charge [23.07], PSO Levy [11.15]) but then surprisingly a discount of 41% was applied, which we didn't realise we would get, and then cashback for signing up Online.

This brought the bill down to 180.85 although it won't be that low forever so we will have large bills at the end of the year when the large discount is gone. :(

It will be handy to work out the energy per day as per the OP to see how much energy we are using up (but on average per day it would work out 1364/53days = 26).

Ahh feck I should have pushed them harder.. I had instigated proceedings to move from Energia to Panda. Panda were giving me 30% discount with €150 cash back, when Energia got wind of it they rang me and offered 37% discount with no cashback, after doing the figures (I use 7300 units per year) I decided to stay. Have you just started a new customer deal?

Didn't notice this reply.

I've gone with Bord Gais for my supplier this year. Have not received the bill yet but much lower per unit.

How much per unit are you getting it for? I'm coming to that time of year again, my god it's a pain in the hoop but worth it especially now with prices so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

200sqm house, 3.5 years old,heatpump, day/night meter:

My exact bills and usage over the last 12 months are as follows:

Feb 2021 : €264.39

Apr 2021 : €212.74

Jun 2021 : €195.31

Aug 2021 : €150.85

Oct 2021 : €148.65

Dec 2021 : €203.14 

Total €1175.08 for all energy usage. Was less before we were working from home, but only around 100, 150euro.

Since installation my heat pump has used 8929 kWh, mostly at night rate. I drive it to try reach 23 during the night rate time to "charge" the concrete floors with heat, after it heats the water then back to 21.5 during daytime; it rarely goes on during the day unless it's reallllly cold out.

• Advertisement

16c

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/campaigns/best-electricity

We're 20-22c in our 112sqm end of terraced.

Our electricity last year amounted to 1162 but with discounts. Moved because of the price per unit and hopefully it will see a bit more in my pocket as long as I don't get stung in other places (bills, taxes, etc).

We have plenty of washing to do especially with a 2.5yr old. Constantly have the pump on for showers, washing, toilet, etc.

Have worked mainly from home since the pandemic started and the other half does too.

That's a great rate in fairness. Many thanks for the link, I'm out of contract in mid February I know who my next supplier is going to be👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tob08

6 months in a new build 2 bed apt.the electric bills are horrendous. Temps are set at 20 degrees. Bill is 480 for 2months with 380 down to heating. Next month price will be up 24% from next month. Can't change it out and everyone I have had in says it is fine. It went out on error last week and despite 3 different expert come out to repair it only for the same error to return within 2 hrs.The system is a daikin I can't take out the system but putting in an electric shower and bottled gas heater would reduce my bill by 150 euro even allowing for the upwards gas prices ...anyone find similar issues particularly the lack of knowledge shown by installers and maintenance techs rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Something is way off, either your heat pump isnt setup or functioning correctly, your apt has poor airtightness, or there is insufficient insulation. We have a heat pump and didnt spend 380 on heat for the entire year Jan-Dec. temp at 21-21.5.

Is this a rental or do you own it?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

Would you mind sharing what you're usage is for 2022? Wondering how much it increased with all the electricity increases. cheers!

Unless he got the energia fixed price plan, like everyone else the bills have doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

🤣 Yeah I get that, but I wanted to know if poster made any changes to possibly reduce the cost while keeping the house at a comfortable temp etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You'd have to look at the data by kWh used, as opposed to by Euro cost, to normalize the data.

Advertisement