Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is entering dairying still an option

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Ye they are in place for 22,23 and 24 as it stands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

the person i was talking to said new entrants are limited to 80-90 cows depending on output

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Where as me an existing supplier for 60 years is restricted to 40 cows

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

OP, I'm someone who decided to go back into milk at 40, second year in the parlour now and love it. We had a dairy herd up until 2005 so I knew what was involved but it is a fantastic way of life. Lads give out about being too busy at calving but its exhilarating. You don't know tiredness until you've done it but its the best time of year. We've had a baby the last two years and the flexibility it gives for family life is brilliant. In my experience there is no issue with getting relief milkers once you're set up well.

I'd agree with getting the infrastructure as cheap as you can, I put the roads in myself. I did find it difficult to find a bank to lend to me was one thing I'd look out for, BOI said no, AIB offered over 9 years which was a non-runner, UB were very helpful but theyre not an option now.

You mentioned your dad had tillage, how are the P&K? Could be a massive hidden cost. If you can reseed everything before you start, growing as much grass as you can is key.

I'd agree with what Pinsnbushings says below, you mentioned a clearance sale, do everything you can to get as good as stock as you can, ignore the price where they are concerned. I'd also agree with the replacements, the best way of improving your herd is to breed your own. If you've bought in good quality stock you'll have no shortage of lads looking for anything leaving your farm

I'd disagree with GTM and suggest JEX, with the right breeding you'll do 600kg and you'll have a smaller cow, maintenance above €30.

You mentioned that you couldn't be looking at extreme JE or HO round the place, my advice is that whatever type of cow you do go for lose that attitude, its all about the cow's genomic potential. If she has four legs and no obvious defect thats all you need to worry about, the rest is what her paper says about her, if you've seen the film moneyball its like that.

Best of luck with it

What would the net margin be per cow if you using your own land and not renting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That is the third secret of Fatima. You have just posted scarilege. You must include a land charge as well as an own labour charge and include an opportunity cost.

A cow milking 5500 litres is grossing about 2.5k in milk sales at present. If it back at 33c/ L it's about 1.8k per cow Try to calculate from that

The one thing for sure lads will be very slow to fix a milk price from now on. Heard rumours about farmers that had 50%+ of there milk fixed at 30-32c/ L. 😓. It must be a disaster for these lads. Some have 1-2 years left on contracts

Fixed pricing only benefits larger buyers. It's not in the interest of farmers as lads have learned now

Slava Ukrainii

That’s bordering on criminal on a farmer that is fixed in considering current price of 45 cent a litre and the input cost rises

I was thinking if using your own land and own labour.

I see fellas online saying anything less than 100 cows is a waste of time. Then I see fellas milking 80 or so finishing lovely stock.

I remember posting a few years ago about fixed prices. Grain producers got caught fixing 5+ years ago and got caught by rising prices and bad harvests.

Last year processor's were quoting fixed price deals at 4-6c/ below market prices and milk prices were rising. When prices were 24/26c per liter fixed price were 28c/ L. You are always and I mean always better to ride the waves of the market. There is no upside in fixed prices for the average farmer

However lads made them choices. There fear was if a market collapse. They never figured on a price surge like what happened.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 29,211 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Banks were also pushing for farmers to have fixed price milk

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I'd be very slow to go with fixed price. I think we have only seen the start of price inflation and and any Agriculture prices are only doing catch up at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

OP, I'm someone who decided to go back into milk at 40, second year in the parlour now and love it. We had a dairy herd up until 2005 so I knew what was involved

Were you still set up for dairying?

There is a huge difference between someone like yourself, who was born and bred dairying and milked cows until you were 25, and someone who never put a set of clusters on.

I think there is a huge difference between someone who stopped for a few years and went back dairying and someone who never did it previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Needed to buy a new parlour, build a dairy. Had the cubicle sheds with a few alterations to do.

Maybe the learning curve is steep for milking, I suppose it depends on the lad learning it. My wife never set foot on a farm before we met, she can milk now, is great looking after the calves.

The basics are manageable

Most stick skills are transferrable. It's similar to any trade or skill. Yes the adaptability if the person counts. I be as much afraid of the business skills as the stockman skills.

To build up calving skills use easy calving bulls if you have not calved cows before.. A two day old calf is a lot easier to adapt to a new feeding system than a three week old calf.

Milking is a repetitive process. Of you have a relief milker how long to train him in. After that hygiene goes a long way and knowledge about mastitis is a learning curve.

It's the business skill of handling a larger cash flow that could be as big a catch. A lad milking 60 cows this year could be turning over 150k here on a similar drystock farm maybe half that.

But costs are higher and you have to realise you have to spend but also have to manage costs if you want to maximise return

Slava Ukrainii

I be as much afraid of the business skills as the stockman skills.

Exactly. The animal husbandry isn't the biggest challenge.

Personally, I would consider successful dairy men as incredibly capable businessmen. They have the ability to manage cashflow efficiently when the overheads are far greater than other farming enterprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Hard one to put a figure on, going off 2020 accounts their was a 150 cows milked, with 60 acres of ground leased for 2 cuts of silage and 22 acres of maize contract grown, all in all this equates to circa 250 tons of imported dm of feed which with circa 1.8 ton of meal going into the cows here, would feed 75 cows a full tmr diet, so you can work it back that 75 cows is what I can carry here plus replacement heifers.

Total cost of imported feed was 60k, total milk sales from these 75 extra cows was 600,000 litres @ 34 cent was 204000 euro less 60k imported silage/maize and another 35k for meal, these ladies left a gross margin of 110k and then you take of your day to day running costs etc, and principal plus intrest payments of circa 20k yearly for infrastructure to facilitate these extra cows, net profit before depreciation/capital allowances extra was circa 750 euro a cow in 2020, if I was milking just the 75 I'd say around the same to be honest, but obviously my workload would be halved

Theirs no fortune been made here to be honest, but what has been achieved is a fairly well set up dairy unit, and alot of land reclaimed and drained that was growing the best of rushes

Fair play for sharing all that detail.

750 a cow is good. I’d nearly consider going in to milking but I don’t fancy calving down 75 cows, the early starts, the initial investment and I have a handy number of job so part time farm suits me.

Id say if I lost the job I’d go milking 50 and keep the calves to beef that aren’t replacements.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Different operation here on equivalent numbers but only a little better in the bottom line.we have radically different figures in some categories but it nearly works out the same profit afterwards.

Net profit €750 a cow.

Are the top suckler men getting near that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Where are you getting 750€/cow from ?

add in jays deprication (not a cash cost to the system, only used for tax purposes) at 51k he made 634/cow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Hi OP,

Coming to this late so apologies if it's been mentioned already, but I'd suggest you try to step thru what might be a typical day as a dairy farmer (yes, yes, yes, I know there's no such thing as a typical day!). It might help make the work, the figures, the cows, the parlour, etc. more real.

What time will you put the cows in in the morning? How long will it take to milk them? What time will you get back to your house? Then what? Fertiliser? Fencing? Figuring out why SCC is a little high? Picking out bulls for breeding? Grass walk? Checking calves/heifers? Shifting the fence and setting up this evening's paddock?

Cows back in the parlour at what time? What time will you finish for the day?

I spent about 12 months doing homework on converting but decided against it last year. I didn't have enough ground to go at it full-time and would have had to stay working part-time off-farm. With a young family, I decided there wasn't enough hours in the day to try balance it all.

To try and help others, I put the various questions/issues I asked myself into a website: https://sites.google.com/view/dairyconversion/home

Feel free to send me a DM if you wish. I'm happy to talk at any stage.

And just to confuse things, I'm thinking about converting in 2024 when land my family has leased out reverts to me. I'll have 85-ish acres then and plan to milk no more than 60-70 cows. I'll probably try to set 15-ish acres of spring barley as well. The farm is all in one block but the furtherest away fields are approx. 800m from the parlour location.

I'll be 48 at that stage.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I haven't looked at the dairy conversion website in a while, but going thru it myself again now, I'd suggest you start with the Lifestyle page: https://sites.google.com/view/dairyconversion/lifestyle

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Vet fees are high Jay, alot of vacinations? Fert is low enough

Sorry, this like junior cert business all over again.

634 a cow isn’t bad though.

If you could hire some innocent cratur to milk them at reasonable rate ud be laughing

The pneumonia and lepto vaccines is the cheapest money you will spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

id be quite the opposite system to jay but paying for every acre we’re farming between rent and mortgage, running a grass based spring calving system

our figure was 120€ /cow more and total milk sales weren’t as high

this is not a dig jay, you’re very clued in but I think you should reevaluate your production model/system

Their is circa 40k of once off building costs, in 2020 accounts that skews it, along with a disastrous batch of fleck cross heifers that calved down that year out of 20 only 6 made it to end of 1st lactation, their was a 20k loss their alone with lost milk sales…..

Circa 600k been invested here the past 10 years, cow numbers increased from 40-200 this year and debt levels of less then 1000 euro a cow, on a wet farm here, what other system would you suggest I go for when a 150 day fully housed winter is the bare minimum I get away with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭straight

Don't use either of them. Just salmonella and rotavirus

Rota/salmonella/lepto and bvd was been done, had a crypto issue in 2019 aswell so parafour was been used also that year at 15 euro a calf

• Advertisement

I guess it depends on what works for you. Always have trouble with pneumonia here

Advertisement