Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

It was up to about 3 years ago. It isn't now unfortunately. While what you outlined above is true regarding social housing, joe soap can't afford to build or buy a house. A new build will likely see you in negative equity before you lay the tarmac.

I have a property where I could put 2 or 3 houses on and sell them, but I'd lose money. During the boom when there were lots of houses being built, they were being built becaise it was cost effective. Alot of the units are high density now that will be more cost effective but won't suit many families for practical reasons.

Site costs used to be the biggest obstacle. Mateirals, Labour and the cost of implementing new regulations are now

We can talk shite and expect the state to provide all the houses, but that's not realistic, they have a role. But the private sectors hands are tied

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The open revolving door to the scum of the world continues- out of prison abd straight over to treasure Ireland. Wonder was a passport even glanced at. Fcukin joke. And he’ll be back again no doubt

“Murderer who punched, kicked and dragged wife by the hair and tried to pull her eyelashes off avoids jail”

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/murderer-who-punched-kicked-and-dragged-wife-by-the-hair-and-tried-to-pull-her-eyelashes-off-avoids-jail-41500066.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,918 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s my understanding that even though he is a EU citizen, on committal and conviction of a serious crime of this nature that he ‘ can ‘ be deported… . However, “ the issue of such a deportation order is conditional on the requirement that the personal conduct of the individual concerned must represent a genuine, present threat affecting one of the fundamental interests of that State…”

how the fûck can a convicted murderer who goes on and commits a crime of this nature avoid a custodial sentence….? Secondly not get deported out of here… this country is at serious levels of fuçked up… been ran like a dystopian circus….which is probably what it is…

our elected representatives and judiciary are so chronically out of touch, chronically incompetent and divorced from the realities and the needs of the Irish people. Not two fûcks seems to be given about our safety and wellbeing…

this going on now, imagine the Sinn Fein lot got in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Migrants are more likely to look for social housing as they are on low wages and of a transient nature .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Sure they were all living great lives - we should aspire to go back to how it was then, population and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Saw and article today by Sorcha Pollock about someone from Zimbabwe who came here from Dubai using fake SA passports and complaining that the immigration offical was rude to her.

Now she has residency here when she is nothing but a liar who played the system, yet the left would say we aren't a soft mark when it comes to our immigration policies here.

That particular lady is one of the major driving forces behind Ireland changing everything around direct provision, asylum, and the recent change in residency rules for illegals. She's a personal hero of mine to be honest. It was her and others who set up the Movement for Asylum Seekers in Ireland (MASI)

She should get a street named after her

• Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Are you on a wind up or what?

She is a scammer who came here on forged documents and you think she is a hero who should have a street named after her.

Not at all. She was in trouble, got her and her kids her by the means open to her and has had a massive positive effect on entire systems of govt

You're wasting your time.

I have come to the realisation, mostly from this thread, that those who advocate for multiculturalism and immigration (generally mass immigration although that's denied to varying degrees), march to a very different tune to the rest of us. You see, most of us want to live in a fair society, where we are not judged by our gender, race, culture, etc.. but rather as individuals, with particular needs but essentially treated the same, with opportunities available for everyone, but those opportunities are restricted by peoples own choices. Their choices in educational attainment, their choices not to avail of State supports to get that education, the choice to go abroad for a few years to get useful experience, or the choice to remain in Ireland, either to work, or to.. whatever.

The point is that these advocates don't want that. Instead, our identity is incredibly important and we should be categorised by that identity, receiving benefits or costs due to that framework. So, migrants who come here, becoming Irish, are Irish, but it's important that they remain of their original nationality or culture, so that they can be both migrant and Irish. Those who don't become Irish, should be treated the same as other Irish people, but they deserve greater help because, well, reasons. And where do the resources and financing come from to support all these people? Well, native people should pay, because they have more... regardless of whether they actually have more or whether the perception is by being natively Irish, you automatically have more, and so, you need to pay.

There is no acknowledgement that Ireland's economic success could end, or that the costs accrued by all these virtuous gestures will become too great to maintain.. probably because it is other people that will pay for it. The advocates never really believe that they, themselves, will ever be made to pay, but if that day comes, at least, they can feel good about making everyone else pay too.

Equality is not the goal here. I'm not really sure what goes on in the mind of the native Irish who push this approach, but I suspect they feel some bizarre notion of guilt for growing up in a decent nation, during a decent time in it's economic status.

As such, scammers will be treated as heroes. Those who break our laws will be treated similarly. They beat the system. A system that is ridiculously favourable to them, but still, they managed to beat it. Beat it with the help of NGOs supported by the State, and the taxpayer... or a Justice department that refuses to deport those who shouldn't be here, and will actively ignore illegal work placements... but yeah, they beat the system, and should be applauded for it.

It truly boggles the mind how retarded the whole notion is. Must be nice to live in a reality where consequences are never negative, and it's always someone else's fault when their notions fail to produce the desired results. After all, when the Irish economy falters due to the near constant rises in social spending or aid programmes, or when social unrest manifests into violence because migrants are tired of being poor compared to the average middle class earner (not working class), these advocates won't look at their handiwork and say "we did this". Nope. It will be other peoples fault. They didn't do it right. They resisted too much. Whatever.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It's a total waste of time arguing with the loony left on the internet.

Concentrate on targeting so called conservative or 'centre ground'/left of centre politicians and voters who you can relate to on some level.

I suspect a lot of the posters who support the obvious scam artists, work in the asylum industry, and have skin in the game. It would not surprise me if part of the paid duties are online advocacy and discrediting genuine concerns by crying rascism everywhere. Also I suspect a lot of "journalists" are bought and paid for to set the narrative(and quite possibly are true believers too from the various schools of journalism)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The NUJ have a huge sway in Ireland. They have thrown out journalists who have went against the grain.

Business community too, they’ve a big horse in this race..

more competitive jobs market = lower wages

more people living here = more money spent in businesses

more people living here = more housing built… developers, builders, architects,

as I said the Mater hospital when I needed a scan, not urgent but their waiting list for an MRI was so long, taxpayers had to pay hundreds of euros for me to go to charter medical in Smithfield…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I was going to put you on ignore, but I'm really enjoying your posts. Keep it up comrade!

Honestly, I suspect it's more the case that they have a social media persona on twitter or something similar, where they continue to present the same ideas as they do here, but cheers on by their group of sympathizers. They get the adrenaline buzz of saying something virtuous, and get a round of applause for their expressions.

Totally agree with regards the journalists. There's very little "honest" journalism anymore. One look at the Irish newspapers, or RTE, and you can see the gaping hole that is critical journalism of particular topics, instead, they fall over themselves to reinforce the same opinions. We live in the world of agendas.. and activists are more active (was intending the pun) on social media, and journalists by their nature, are going to be hooked into social media. Just as most of our politicians are.

The problem with social media now is its not used by many for debate and discourse just simply to enable their theory, opinion or political view…into the public domain…. that’s why all these ‘welcome everyone to Ireland’ individuals are poster boarding like crazy…

I see in addition to housing and various other supports…

…Mr McGrath said the costs will be paid for from the contingency fund set aside for Covid-19, but that some of that reserve may still be needed to deal with the pandemic this year.

so it’s pandemic help vs Ukrainian help… no guess required to imagine who’ll be looked after as a priority.

The Polish, a great bunch of lads. Doing great work with regards to the Polish language. Its in the LC curriculum, weekend language schools and hundreds of schools around the country looking to get involved. Really fantastic to see

According to the 2016 census, Polish was the most widely spoken non-English language among non-Irish European nationals living in Ireland at the time with 112,676 speakers. That’s ahead of Chinese, Arabic and Portuguese — the number-one non-English languages among non-Irish Asian, African and American nationals living in Ireland at the time.

At a more fundamental level, Kubas said she’d like to see widespread teaching of Polish and other minority languages in Irish schools within the curriculum.

Currently, this process is beginning and I hope that it continues to develop more dynamically so that the children of immigrants have the opportunity to get to know and nurture their roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

This is an advertisement bought and paid for by the EU

• Advertisement

so that the children of immigrants have the opportunity to get to know and nurture their roots.

Isn't that the role of family? Hardly a role for State education to fill. I could understand the desire to equip Irish people with more languages, bringing us more in line with the rest of Europe where people often are comfortable speaking multiple languages.. but that's not really suggested in the article.

When do immigrants stop being immigrants? Genuinely curious what the common perception on the thread is. Are they immigrants and Irish at the same time? Are they Irish and should be considered Irish.,.? Or... Seems like a lot of the strategy/intention behind these initiatives are to reinforce the differences in people, rather than bringing us together.

Do we really want the same kind of divisions that America has with it's immigrant population, where being American is secondary (or pushed further back) than their Italian, Irish, etc heritage? I have an American friend who will refer to his Irish, Italian, and American Indian heritage, before acknowledging that he's American. It just seem such a strange way to perceive yourself, and hardly conductive towards producing a harmonious society.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

It is. Irish, English, and a third European language should be taught to children. Listening to Joe Biden is painful. He hasn't a clue about Ireland and neglects to metion that he also has English and French ancestors.

What is?

In any case, we are taught such. I learned English, Irish, and I chose German for the leaving cert.. 27 years ago.. Most people have the option of learning a European language, and I know that Chinese is an option now in my local secondary school. So, the opportunity is already there for learning a single foreign language (although it's debatable how much is acquired during that period for the average student).

Dunno about Biden.. Never pay much attention to any American presidents anymore. They all seem to be somewhat retarded these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Cordell

Diversity over meritocracy. Normally, you would expect the first diverse judge to be a Polish one, but I'm ready to bet it won't as they are not diverse enough.

I don't understand this statement ' not diverse enough' it's ridiculous and doesn't make sense.

When it comes to the judiciary in this country, anyone who grew up in council housing would be diverse!

I assume McEntee means not physically diverse enough.

Too much focus on physical differences

Why do you assume that though? Who said there is too much focus on physical difference?

Anyone outside of a small circle in Ireland would be diverse in the judiciary

• Registered Users Posts: 13,137 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Name a street after a criminal?

What's next?

Hutch-Kinahan airport / plaza / avenue?

Because Leo said the civil service was "too white", this is how they see diversity.

Because physical or sexual diversity is more obvious and sells better. Eastern Europeans etc don't count.

Having someone from a working class background would be really diverse for the judiciary (as you said), do you think that's what it means?

• Advertisement

Plenty of streets in Ireland named after folks who were classed as criminals by the ruling powers of the day e.g. Civil War fighters, War of Independence folks, 1916 gang etc.

Just a matter of time and perspective

Advertisement