Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Because he can see it with his eyes.

Similar to the primary school near me I attended at the turn of the century.

Back then a foreigner was someone from the UK(who predominantly had Irish parents who returned), now more than half of the kids are of non Irish heritage.

Maybe you need to see a passport and birth cert before you can clarify where someone is from, or their parents came from.. but most of us can see the differences with our eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Because the population growth has not been countered by an increasing in housing, reducing the overall supply.

The largest reason for this increase in population is immigratio

Considering the population still hasn't reached the 1850 levels, I'd say we'll be fine with a few more million more squeezing in

Oh yeah sure I forgot, you're the magician that can see someone's nationality by looking at them 🙄🤣

• Advertisement

Yes, because we should be looking to match the living standards of the 1850s...

Not at all, we have seen a massive influx of people from abroad, some which contribute massively to the economy, some which do not.

This combined with successively governments who have squandered money chasing votes they would never win and avoiding hard decisions, means we have failed to address the problems of the existing population, let alone cater for more.

That doesn't prove anything.

Between the years of 2010 & 2017, was there a massive influx of immigrants?

What am I proving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There are loads of people in Ireland who support bogus AS.

When an attempt is made to deport a bogus AS, there are loads of people defending them, organising campaigns, lobbying, etc.

I have yet to see any protest, RTE report, newspaper article supporting deportations.

Indeed, I'm nearly sure (have to check) that some political parties have explicit policies to prevent any deportations.

Therefore, they are for illegal immigration.

My question is - why do so many people support bogus AS? I am curious.

Surely people should support genuine refugees, and be able to make the distinction between the genuine refugees and the bogus AS.

Was wondering who was going to be the first to twist my words lol 🤪

When an attempt is made to deport a bogus AS, there are loads of people defending them, organising campaigns, lobbying, etc.

Yeah, because many are folks who have lived here for years, have kids in schools, work in the local area and are well liked.

I've seen and supported 2 such campaigns and will happily do so again, more the merrier I say

• Registered Users Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I dont think you were being told you cant have an opinion. More you were told its not logical that an immigrant like yourself would be so vehemently anti immigration.

It does happen a lot though. We see a lot of Brexiteers oppose immigration but not the immigration where their own family members migrated into the UK or the emigration where they can move to other countries. Of course such views conflict with each other e.g. "Its ok that Im an immigrant but I dont support migration" its just pretending that there isnt a conflict.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Maybe the 200k was kite flying to gauge a reaction?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

I think we should look after our own first and foremost, charity starts at home, we cant solve the homeless crisis for example and we have a housing crisis yet we ll happily taken in 15k Ukrainians.

Now on the flip side of it i think we should help refugees because at one point in time we were those people ourselves when we went all over during the famine and got a chance.

I think like with alot of things there's no real black and white solution and balance is key.

No

Theres always mass hysteria on CA about mass immigration but the truth is we havent had mass immigration.

Terry Pratchet

<Snipped> Doesn't matter.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Cordell

I am not anti immigration. And it is racist to say that my opinions are not logical because I am an immigrant - logic applies to me just like it applies to you, my arguments are valid or not regardless of my nationality.

Unless you are 100% completely pro-immigration, you are anti-immigration. There is no middle ground allowed. Apparently.

I'm in favour of multiculturalism. Just not the way it's implemented. I'm in favour of an increased foreign born population. But I would like to see greater controls on which groups are encouraged, and that we have more than adequate supports/services in place to provide for them. I do believe that the native population (including 2nd generations migrants born here) should come first, and foreign groupings coming second until they've proven themselves capable of contributing positively to the State/Nation. etc. And I believe we should be deporting those who break our laws, or have proven incapable of supporting themselves.

However... I am anti-immigration. Because I've been told that I am. The truth doesn't matter. There is no middle ground for some posters. Either you're pro- or you are anti-.

Although I do find it amusing that the people who are critical of immigration policies, or the problems of multiculturalism, tend to be more tolerant of everything that is in the middle. Less need to box you into a category with a strict adherence to a set of beliefs. Whereas those who are pro- tend to need to box you into such a category. It is interesting the way these things have developed over the years.

• Advertisement

Well the poster seems to think it is because under 30s do not live together, that's what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dublingerman89

As a German living in Ireland, I experienced how Germany dealt with the 2015 refugee crisis. It caused lots of problems, especially in terms of security and for the social services. The majority of the 2015 Refugees is still on social support. Due to the size of Germany and the availability of housing, especially outside the big metropolitan areas it was somehow to handle by the government.

Here in Ireland, I am really worried how the government will handle this Ukraine refugee crisis. So many Irish families do not have a regular home, staying in hostels, Hotels or other sad circumstances. The number of available rental accommodation is on an all-time low level. In no other European capital I have seen so many homeless people than in Dublin. In my point of view housing is the main pain point in Ireland. And now the government wants to take in up to 200.000 refugees. Where should they stay? The government is paying millions now for Hotel accomodation. Money that could have been invested for social housing for Irish People. Where should the refugees work? If they even get jobs most of them will work in low income sectors and press the Irish workers out of the labor market.

The Irish government should care 1st for the Irish people, 2nd for tax paying integrated EU citizens and the rest should come far behind.

The Irish government approach on that crisis will be devastating for the social situation in this country. The visa requirement should never have been waived. Ireland should take advantage from staying out of Schengen. This fact saved Ireland from the devastating results of the 2015 crisis my country suffers and now the gates have been fully opened with no sustainable plan how to accommodate the people and what to do with them.

And why would you being German matter?

My German friend who was living in the Ukraine until he was sent home 10 days before the invasion doesn't think anything like you do.

There is no reason for Irish people to live in hotels. None at all, unless they choose it. There are literally thousands of empty properties in Ireland, as we can see from the amount offered for refugees. The housing problem in Ireland is not really a housing problem, it is a social housing problem. People on social housing lists, will wait to live exactly where they want, usually around the corner from their mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not exactly where they want, but in a suitable location…

if you work in Portmarnock, you wouldn’t feel too enamoured at having to go live in Tallaght…about 12.5 hours traveling a week, changes, connecting… by Wednesday you’d be feeling it , quality of life in the doldrums…

Vacant dwelling a plenty but vacant private property.

Are illegal immigrants (of which we have no real idea on numbers) included in the data?

FWIW, I don't blame people coming to live here I blame the government for failing to plan for the impact of its own policy.

You are right I should have just ignored them

😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What sort of houses did the Irish of the 1850s live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Yes, I noticed that too. Yes, plenty of empty properties but no enforcement in place to get owners to do anything. Perhaps this is naïve of me, but I always suspect those who lord over us, own some of those empties and are happy for their assets to increase in value. That 'I'm all right Jack' mantra again.

Yes too to those who don't want to move that far. I'm sure some want to be close to friends and mammy. Many though want to be nearby because of the vast amount of childcare costs they'd have to fork out for, never mind the commutes to work. Thank god mammy is close by to help out with childcare.

For the people on social housing waiting lists?

That's the housing problem in this country. Social housing problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Both social housing and private. Everyone wants to near friends and family but child costs are a major factor in that followed by proximity to work.

Advertisement