Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

House with no driveway, on-street parking - what to do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,119 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

In the same boat. Terraced house with no off street parking so ev impossible for me. There better be a solution for the many people who live in terraced houses/apartments before new ice cars are banned in 2030.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

namloc1980 wrote: »
    In the same boat. Terraced house with no off street parking so ev impossible for me. There better be a solution for the many people who live in terraced houses/apartments before new ice cars are banned in 2030.

It's only pure ICE that's bring banned, hybrid and PHEV will still be available.

You'd hope that in 10 years they'd have figured out a better way to charge cars, at least let people with no way to install a charger at home pay the same as people who can, or if they ever get self driving working we won't need to own a car so charging won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

If they mounted them to the curb you’d literally have people limboing under your wheels to injure themselves over it.

The whole culture of frivolous, exaggerated and fraudulent claims would have to be tackled before anyone should think of doing something like this.

It’s not fair but that’s the way the government, solicitors, barrister and the claimants and sometimes the insurance companies* like it (*unsolicited texts after an accident reported to insurance is documented in the UK by firms who are also operating in Ireland )
    Unfortunately I don’t see that changing anytime soon either.

Whilst I don’t envisage ever owning an electric car in my life for practical reasons e.g towing heavy crap, breaking the speed limit which is wrong and I’d never do 😉, the sweet sweet smell of the petrol (I’d maybe buy a petrol hybrid if they ever bloody build one with a manual gearbox minimum 245bhp, why are they not doing this? :/ ) The electric vehicles do intrigue me I must admit. Maybe as a second car. Would have to be an eGolf as I love and own Golf GTIs through the years.

But anyway OP, please think carefully about it. Don’t put yourself at risk of being sued by these parasites from all classes in society. Hopefully in the near future there’s a solution and happy motoring to you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Why is the mentality that we must avoid being sued rather than we must avoid injuring people? Attitudes like this need to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

TheChizler wrote: »
    Why is the mentality that we must avoid being sued rather than we must avoid injuring people? Attitudes like this need to change.

Because even in a life jacket in the kiddy section of a swimming pool, 1 in 3 Irish people would claim they feared they’d have drowned and sue for emotional distress

• Advertisement

Because even in a life jacket in the kiddy section of a swimming pool, 1 in 3 Irish people would claim they feared they’d have drowned and sue for emotional distress
    I'm not sure hyperbole helps your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

liamog wrote: »
    By the sound of it you live in a Dublin City Council area. How much mileage are you doing during weekly commutes and at the weekend.

There is currently a tender out across the 4 city councils for an e-mobilty project. No doubt as soon as a public consultation starts it will be posted here. You are exactly the type of person they should be engaging with. In my opinion we need a number of Dundee style charging hubs to address situations like yours.

Can you share what those Dundee style hubs are? Out of interest.
    Planning a trip to Scotland in few months...

Because in a large portion of the claims the person hasn't been injured, but still gets a sizable payout.

How do you propose to stop people tripping or snagging trailing cables?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Because in a large portion of the claims the person hasn't been injured, but still gets a sizable payout.

How do you propose to stop people tripping or snagging trailing cables?
    Well removing the hazard in the first place solves the problem of genuine injuries who both sue and don't sue, and the fake ones.

I never claimed to have the answers but that doesn't negate my point that we should be looking out for all footpath users, not just the ones who are looking for someone to sue. I'm not sure additional street furniture or exposed cables is the answer, for both aesthetic and safety reasons.

Well removing the hazard in the first place solves the problem of genuine injuries who both sue and don't sue, and the fake ones.

I never claimed to have the answers but that doesn't negate my point that we should be looking out for all footpath users, not just the ones who are looking for someone to sue. I'm not sure additional street furniture or exposed cables is the answer, for both aesthetic and safety reasons.

Vehicles aren't footpath users though so their infrastructure should not be on them, its bad enough that people illegally park on footpaths putting hardware for charging will make them worse for footpath users.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Vehicles aren't footpath users though so their infrastructure should not be on them, its bad enough that people illegally park on footpaths putting hardware for charging will make them worse for footpath users.

100% agree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Del2005 wrote:
    What do you suggest instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Put the charger plug into a slim bollard on the kerb side of the footpath ..
    so it stops Muppets parking on paths ,
    means no loose wires flopping around on the path for people to trip on ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

JCDUB wrote: »
    Also, I work for a government department and there is no chargers at work, and they've never been mentioned. I could bring it up but I'd imagine it'd be expensive and come out of our own budget, not the department's, so that'd be a no.

I work for a government department too, and not only do we have multiple charging points across all of our locations we have several official electric vehicles.

Bring it up with your Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭innrain

I came across this grant.

https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/public-charge-point/

You can't apply for it but your council can. Contact your council let them know your interest and the same for your neighbors and who knows we might benefit from this along with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Julez

@JCDUB did you ever get an EV in the end? It sounds like your home is almost the exact same situation as mine. I don't so many miles, I could charge across the path with a cable cover, but not sure an electrician would even install the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Nope, never got one. It was just not feasible, and as with everything in this country, there were no steps being taken to expedite the situation.

Instead I had to buy a diesel, as there were no large family size hybrids available to me (GS300h) within budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The installers will install the charger. It is not an issue to them if you trip someone up running a cable across the path. As long as the install complies with electrical regulations they will install.

I know of at least a couple of installations where the cable has to run across a path to where the assigned car space for any car to be charged could be and two separate installers had no issue fitting the charger in these cases. Also both people received their grants from SEAI for these installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,550 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Awful to hear that the SEAI are subsidising drivers to create trip hazards on pavements. They should really be checking for this at application stage.

I’d hope that local authorities or management companies would deal with such situations when they arise.

Post edited by liamog on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Cutting the cable would be a dangerous and illegal action so I wouldn't recommend it, and you will probably need a bigger cutter than that for EV cable.

In both cases cables are always covered by cable covers across the path when in use.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I personally would never put a cable uncovered across the path, a cable cover "should" be completely safe. If the goal for the country is to go fully electric in the near future, the government should be coming out with clear guidance so that people in this situation know exactly what they can do and how they can safely have an electric car.

Completely safe for a wheelchair user? Completely safe for a person using a walking frame? Completely safe for a jogger or a child running?

Motorists don’t own the footpath, and need to leave it clear. Build a nice high swinging arm well over head height if you need to bring a cable over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,453 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's a fair point but surely the two shouldnt be mutually exclusive? However we are all aware of the compo culture and litigious nature of certain cohorts of people in this country who always seem to find themselves involved in some kind of accident or another. This is a major issue and is one reason why a hell of a lot of public spaces and indeed private buisiness are forced to severly curtail their operations or shut altogether.

Other countries, I am sure, have solved this problem. Perhaps one of the reasons they have solved it is a far less litiguous culture has allowed for solutions that may not be available here?

In relation to the issue that the OP has as far as I can see it there are many people who would have similiar issues and as such, if the country is to move fully to electric then these issues need to be addressed in a safe, cheap and effective manner.

As I see it there are two strands.

1. At home charging - The most obvious thing to do here is to set up a charge point on the edge of the Kerb - this would need to be a LA piece of work in this instance and would make most sense if thought off on a non-local level solution.
    2. At work charging. The Civil and Public sector should be driving this as opposed to falling behind. They are the biggest single employer in the country and a standardised "at work" charing infrastructure should be one of the first things implemented if the government are really serious about this.

There is very little control the OP has over this situation bar selling up and buying elsewhere but this isn't practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CantCatchCovid

From the seai.

The EV must be parked on an off-street parking location associated with the home

Post edited by liamog on

• Registered Users Posts: 44 theinferior

I've posted this link several times, but I think this is the best place for it.

There is a solution to this problem. It is already being used in a few places in the UK and it costs the LA nothing at all. Basically, the owner of the nearby property offers to pay to have a gully or channel built into the footpath. It is just barely wide enough to take the cable and as such, no hazard for wheelchairs or buggies. It slopes gently downwards on the inside, so it doesn't fill with water. It absolutely does not grant any right to the homeowner to a particular parking spot, but it's up to the homeowner to take the risk if they want to.

I'll paste in the link below to a council in the UK that is currently trialing it. I have tried several times to interest my own local authority of Fingal, but I'm getting the brush off, despite the fact that it can solve a problem for very little cost.

Personally, I'd love an EV, but currently, the only thing that makes up the cost difference from an ICE, is the ability to charge from home.

Here is the link:

https://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/info/55/transport_roads_and_parking/1072/on-street_electric_vehicle_charging_pilot/2

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: There should be no discussion of damage to other peoples property or taking the law into your own hands

Yes, it should be completely safe... a gentle small ramp is no different to any curb or normal obstacle you may encounter while out walking.

Curbs don't generally run across the middle of the footpath. Did you speak to many wheelchair users in coming to your conclusion?

No, but I'm aware that wheelchairs can get over small bumps. There are safe ways for this to be done, that shouldn't be an argument, but it's about stating clear guidelines that people can follow that ensures that when it is done these users are accounted for and so that it's not an issue for them or anyone using the footpath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Newoven

Hampshire CC in England seem to be happy with people using cable protectors on footpaths. Not a fan of the idea myself as I do think it's imposing my needs on my neighbours, and I can imagine it would be a nuisance for wheelchair users and Zimmerframes, but it would solve my problem as an EV driving terraced house owner. Some issue posting the link but this is what they say - google Hampshire Electric vehicle charging guidelines for the full article;

Electric vehicle charging guidance for residents

It is important to consider public safety and existing legislation when placing the cable from the power supply in your home to your vehicle. Any legal liability arising from the placement of the cable or protector is your responsibility. You may wish to speak to your home insurer to confirm that your home insurance policy covers this situation.

Vehicles should be parked as close to the property as possible. Where a vehicle cannot be parked immediately outside the property, the cable should be run along the carriageway channel against the kerb. The recommended maximum distance from a point outside the property is 10 metres (approximately 2 car lengths).

The cable should not cross the carriageway therefore your vehicle should always be parked on the same side of the road as your property.

Cables should be laid flat and never be extended from an upper storey to a vehicle, nor should they be hung from any street furniture including lamp columns or trees.

A cable should only be placed over the footway when the vehicle is charging and should always be removed when not in use.

Using a cable protector

The most suitable solution for getting the cable from your property boundary to your vehicle safely is to use a suitable cable protector. Cable protectors are regularly used in public spaces and areas of high footfall to cover cables or wires on a temporary basis.

Any cable protector used should cover the area likely to be walked across, including the full width of any footway and verge between the property and the vehicle.

The cable protector should be non-slip, have contrasting colour markings e.g. yellow, have anti-trip sloped sides, and be of a tough construction suitable for outdoors use.

Advertisement