Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport - What's it like now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,915 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I was in T5 Saturday morning at 5am coming off a long haul and it took about 2 minutes to get through security. They had loads of security on as well.

Manchester is always like that.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Inbound traffic isn't the problem. Its in departures.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wangchung

Its not as if the DAA didn't know about the increase in traffic at the airport . The reason they have not enough staff is that they left it too late to recruit and train; everything left till the last minute. The dogs on the street knew this was going to happen. There has been no planning for the future with regards to operations so that's what we are seeing at the moment. They chose to ignore everything and instead decided to focus how much more money they can make by getting more airlines and flights into the airport and by fleecing the passengers . You will see when the summer is in full swing and aircraft will be left out on the runway ,waiting for a space to disembark the passengers They have always ignored the welfare of the staff and now that they have hired new staff on new contracts which are not worth getting out of bed for . The new staff will realise that its not worth it ,getting abuse from passengers and working the long hours and probably will look elsewhere.

Inbound passengers will experience huge problems as they have always done every summer. Be under no illusion ,this summer is going to be as busy if not more busy that 2019 and as always, the airport will be totally unprepared .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

what an outrageous lack of forward planning by DAA. I actually feel sorry for the staff on the ground including security, because with respect - it is the organ grinders that should get it in the neck but they are in their ivory towers counting beans or something, and the staff get to experience all the grief and fallout from appallingly bad management.

Seriously, restrictions were lifted at the end of January and surely management should have seen the writing on the wall prior to that and started prepping for the pent up demand for air travel as predicted.

Minister for Transport/Justice need to step in and sort out DAA and the delay in getting security clearance for potential staff. Does anyone know why it will take months, as mentioned in reports on this issue? I am guessing there may be a union issue also, otherwise the defence forces (who I presume are already security cleared) could help out in the crisis. I know the Ukraine arrivals require a bit of work, but honestly a bit of imagination would help.

The country needs tourism and business travellers, I know that arrivals don't have the same security issues, but these people have to go home too!

If this continues, tempers will really fray and there could be big trouble ahead as the holiday season approaches. Not a good look at all.

Whew.... glad I got all that of me chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Shred

I'm due to fly out to the UK on the 15th @ 7:30am from T2 and I'm dreading it now, I'll probably need to be in the airport at 5am for a poxy 50 minute flight; I knew I should have went with the later flight!

Regarding vetting delays; while there could be some possible optimisation on the Guards' side, the fact is vetting a person can take a lengthy amount of time to complete depending on the individual's circumstances. Things like having lived in other international territories can cause long delays while the Guards await responses from their foreign counterparts. When you consider many new hires will potentially be foreign nationals I can't see how this is going to be cleared up any time soon unless the recent 'Enhanced Vetting' changes are amended or even reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Everytime I try to book fast track for my flights it says this product is unavailable. Am I missing something. I've no options to add it to my my Aer Lingus booking either. My flights are a few months off yet but I've tried to add it for varous times and days just to see and always get the same message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭VG31

They seem to have blocked bookings. I was able to purchase fast track yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭notAMember

2 people in front of me at Cork airport security this morning, strolled through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

How’s fast track? Flying tomorrow at lunchtime and have fast track. Is it just pot luck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Fast track now showing as "Temporarily Sold Out" on the airport website.

I've a flight at 7am just before Easter, and I can't see them getting themselves sorted by then - it's always mad busy first thing, plus it's from Terminal 1, so I'm assuming already I'll nearly need to get there the night before!

Then I went to look for parking (can't believe I forgot to do that at the time I booked) and that's a fecking king's ransom!!!

Grrrrrr all round!🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 81,891 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is seating back to normal capacity when you do get to the departure gates or have they continued to close off seats for social distancing despite the fact you will be sitting right next to the same people when you board the plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭VG31

• Registered Users Posts: 81,891 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This issue is to be featured on Claire Byrne Live RTE 1 at 10.35.

daa website says "Our vision is to be airport industry leaders". leaders in what? queues snaking around departures hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Has the queuing time disappeared from here now? Doesn’t seem to be showing.

Anywhere else I can get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Never read such a correct statement,the daa and before that aer rianta have only been word leaders in fleecing airline's on landing fee's and treating both the public,airport staff and their own staff like dirt.These new security staff,that the daa are finally now hiring are only being paid E14.14 an hour,and that includes the shift pay!!!Lidl pay's more to stack shelves for God's sake.Plus when Covid 1st hit,the daa were very very quick to sack over 1,000 staff over night.I'm surprised sf have'nt spoken out about how badly the daa run the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Seems to be a lot better this morning according to a friend who has just gone through T2 but T2 always seems the easier option.

If that's the case, what have DAA done in the last 24 hours or as we head into midweek does it calm down anyway at the airport?

Yeah, I was looking at the DAA app around 7am, and it was giving 5-15 minutes for both terminals (or thereabouts) - I was wondering was that a sign that you just couldn't believe the app, or have things dramatically improved? AFAIK that's the busiest time of the day, so should be the worst for queues.

I'd guess Monday and Friday must be a bit worse though, in general.

• Advertisement

Was talking to staff there last Saturday, they said the staffing issues would be sorted out this week. They were waiting on vetting

I watched it and laughed out loud at one point. That journalist she had on mentioned that DAA are thinking of opening the airport 24/7 now and suggested people could go to the airport at 1am for a 7am flight to make sure they make their flight 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Sale of fast track passes suspended, knew I should have bought one yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I have FastTrack through my Aer Lingus status, is it moving relatively quickly at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I was able to buy one for Friday through the Ryanair app

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks, I just added one. I've a 630am Friday flight so peak time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Knowing the DAA that about the same number of units they'd install as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,107 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I assume Saturday evening would be a peak time ?

• Advertisement

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't assume that at all.

My guess would be Monday and Friday mornings, with all the transatlantics and commuter flights, would be peak mayhem. Other early mornings next in line.

Saturday evening being the middle of the weekend would be a lot quieter (would be my guess).

Advertisement