Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swatch X Omega

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

probably muy only chance to own an omega speedmaster. im in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Have to find a shop. I'll be keeping an eye on other markets.

Pics. €250 RRP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

what are they made of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Am I the only one that sniggered at mission to Uranus?

• Advertisement

Also no availability in Ireland? That kinda sucks

Would probably have tried to pick up either the Mars or Mercury ones if there was a store nearby :(

Post edited by Onecoolcookie on

I've a mate going to Madrid next week. Asked him to grab me two if he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

You can try but I am guessing that stock will be gone 5 minutes after opening....give it a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

a great move by Swatch & Omega. It will open doors to the younger market so they can be part of this awful obsession hobby

• Advertisement

There is no mention of limited edition so those prices on ebay are potentially absolutely insane

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Have a friend in Sydney. He says people started camping out yesterday outside the store in order to be able to get them. So think i'll just wait till they are available online at a later date, as confirmed by Swatch themselves.

Also am loving the Mars version (White and red), effectively an Alaska but just without the huge price (or the movement, or the craftmanship, or the history 😂). For €250 its a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

these are lovely - I am assuming they won't be a limited edition and will be restocked ? I'm in the US in June and will see if I can pick up one or two - really good looking watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Gonna pick up one myself to go with my Seamaster 300m. Definitely hoping for the Moonlanding one. It'll be nice to wear an Omega as a tool watch and not be worried about damaging it. To be fair, I have had some of Swatch's Steely watches over the years and they were pretty well put together and tough, I still have some in my collection, some of the cheaper Swatch's werent great but the more expensive ones definitely stood the test of time.

I'm going to the UK next weekend. Gonna try pick one up while Im there.

Lads if you think there will be any stock 5 minutes after opening of any store you are dreaming. It will be a few months before the casual (read somebody not going to waste a day of their life to make 200 euro profit) collector leave it a while and there will be plenty out there then. The prices will be set initially by those that value their time more than the excess over retail the scalpers put on it. Just remember the **** show that was the launch of the Q timex.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I saw these and thought what a load of cobblers.... But now I've seen the price, wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

These aren't limited edition and Swatch have confirmed they will be available online at a later date.

I'll definitely pick one up at some stage, I really liked having the speedmaster reduced on loan and 42mm would suit me better.

The case is bioceramic "BIOCERAMIC is a game-changing blend of ceramic and bio-sourced plastic. Find all your favourite Swatch icons in BIOCERAMIC, a unique Swatch innovation."

I think the case is one piece so no chance of servicing etc in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I guess I'm the only sceptic around here then. Isn't it just another plastic Swatch chronograph in funky colours, albeit with an Omega logo?

Thats exactly what it is, but there is nothing wrong with a swatch, very strong collector base in that brand. It is priced at retail accordingly. Its the watch community that are going to turn this into a travesty with scalping and flipping because at the end of the day a good proportion of watch collectors actually worship profits over the watches themselves.

There was a time watch people were generally into cars and watches. Now they are into Crypto, meme stocks and watches. Fast money, minimal effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd imagine when people hold one in their hands they'll realise the "bargain" price of €250 for a plastic swatch on a velcro strap wasn't actually that much of a bargain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think the case is one piece so no chance of servicing etc in the future.

At 250 quid it would hardly be worth it. Though if it's a one piece it'll be a front loader via the crystal. Pull crown, attach air compressor to crown tube, press "Blow". Pops the crystal and you're in. That's actually one of the two methods for getting into frontloaders, the other is grabbing and squeezing the crystal enough to detach it. The pull crown part is the issue. It's unlikely it has a split crown so I'd reckon it's the last part to go in and is a one time only click to attach setup. Soon enough somebody out there will take one apart and we'll see.

Yup, pretty much. Wide boys with watches.

Like you say Swatch has a strong collector base. It has slowed a fair bit in the last ten years, as collectors moved upmarket or just left. It was much more a younger collector crowd. More women too. This will likely inject a lot of renewed interest in Swatch. It'll certainly hit the Just One More Watch Chinesium segment.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Yes it is a "Just a Swatch" albeit one with the Omega branding. As I mentioned above, some of the high end Swatch's are pretty decent and I own 2 or 3 of these watches.

To be fair, I would rather spend 250 on one of these than paying similar for a knock off. It is what it is, I own a proper Omega but I will still buy one of these for a daily beater as will many more I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

one of my favourite day to day watches is a swatch ... for €250 they will look nice on the wrist - which is what is it all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Confirmed speedmaster fan and I have to say I love these. I believe they will be available online in future, although it's a pity that the swatch store on Grafton Street shut. I think I will pull the trigger on a number of these, but may well get the full set. It's an unprecedented moveby Omega and they appear to be very fun pieces. It's not intended to eat the speedmaster's lunch, it's like a new and interesting addition to the lineup.

Not saying its a bargain but it is a real watch thats generated some of its own hype and at RRP it seems like a fun item to own. Richard Mille dont seem to have any issue selling plastic watches with velcro straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

As a fully paid up member of the Just One More Watch segment I approve this message. Balls to the Chinesium segment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

It's not a bargain in any conventional definition, but I don't know, it's just such a cool thing to get a hold of. I never felt like I was getting a bargain while buying the non swatch moonwatch and I probably will feel the same buying these but watches are interesting for a bunch of reasons. I get your point but there are guys out there who get a kick out of this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What's not to like? Finally we get an Omega watch with a more realistic RRP.

Well in a world where a tank of petrol is 120 euro I think 250 euro a watch that you can wear every day for years on end and not be ashamed to wear, is not bad at all. Its an interesting concept....how much should a watch cost? Look at the guy on the Pagani Design thread all arsey that it has great specs but is in reality a total POS. He is spending less than this Swatch but he is getting so much less and a dose of shame for free.

Honestly apart from the hype **** and all the scalping I am not seeing any downside to these swatches.....sure a Seiko SKX007 is 350 euro these days, and in reality thats not a brilliant watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Advertisement