Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Housing Issue

Options

Comments

You live in a fantasy world that I can't reach. Please don't respond to my posts.

Another strawman. Unless you're willing to engage with the points raised then what is the point in responding to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The person you're responding to is exactly the sort of person the OP is complaining about, i.e. social housing neighbour from hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

My daughter and her family aren’t not upset in the slightest that there’s people in social housing on their road. In my original post, I did mention that they’re friendly with couples who are in social housing. They were up in one of the houses for BBQs and vice versa and have had their dog minded by the same family. These couples are either out of work or working part time but that isn’t the issue here.

The issue here is with someone who goes around in her dressing gown all day every day, throws her children into a car with no child seats and deals drugs from her house that’s funded by the taxpayer. Why the issue here is being missed by so many people I just don’t know.

I personally know of about five people who can’t get a mortgage or find a suitable house to live in but scum like this get every benefit under the sun for being lazy and being a criminal. My daughter moving is not an option, they worked damn hard to get their house and are so happy to have the worry of getting on the ladder gone but now have this shite to deal with on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Having read the entire thread I can tell you that it is you living in the fantasy world where everything is black and white. You can have your views on what should be done. The thing is any grown sane adult with real world experience knows that the world is full of greys.

You have stated you have no sympathy for the people that maybe dealers no matter what. People can and are forced to sell drugs in some cases with threats to them,loved ones, their children etc... Your blanket statement means you don't care about people being exploited once they cross your personal view. They may be addicts themselves etc... Lots of reason other than pure greed and exploitation

That is what the real world deals with and has to. It isn't a point of view

• Advertisement

I'm just going to make liberal use of the block button from this point forward...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Oh FFS.

I dont know whether to laugh or cry at that post.

Making excuses for people dealing drugs now. You would make a great barrister :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭Deeec

I agree with you Im going to ignore from now on also. Im genuinely shocked that people think that this family should just show a blind eye to this kind of behaviour and that anti social behaviour is the norm. By normalising it they are allowing it.

I realise now how lucky I am to live where I do.

You would make a poor fiction writer given your post earlier. Reality and you don't appear to gel

• Advertisement

Could be worse, OP.

The drug dealers in my estate own their houses.

No one to complain to or lobby to remove them.

The Gardaí don't care, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,772 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The gardai ard probably quite happy that the dealers location is fixed - it's easier to police when you know where they are.

We know that an elimination strategy doesn't work for drugs. And that it you legalise some, eg weed, then the people who live outside the law will turn to other illegal things to make a living.

It all comes back to parenting: teach your kids to be secure and happy and they won't need drugs to feel good. Bring them up to be unsecured, anxious, unhappy, and they're vulnerable to dealers and the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

That's not how this works, if you don't want me to respond, then don't post. You can't try to get a last dig in and then expect me to let it go.

It's not fantasy that you constantly refer to the "free house" and that you obviously have an axe to grind with social housing. Apart from the messy garden you've yet to point out any actual disruption to the daughter - feeling hard done by because they've a social house doesn't count.

And now we are down to personal insults.

Can you dig any lower?

Never mind. Im sure you can. But please dont.

I find the suggestion i would be a barrister to be an insult🤗 Can't claim higher morals when you started it

You say your daughter and her family don't care about the social housing, yet you spend a large part of this post giving out about the fact the family is in social housing.

To be clear you say here explicitly that the issue is "...someone who goes around in her dressing gown all day every day, throws her children into a car with no child seats and deals drugs from her house that’s funded by the taxpayer."(Emphasis mine)

So which is it? Can you not see how a post like that might lead a reasonable person to think the issue was, at least in part, anger that these people have a free house? I'm not inventing it, you said it right there.

As to my other point, how it is actually affecting your daughter, well you've still not answered that.

You've listed a few things people are labelling as "Anti-social":

• Going around in a dressing gown all day.
    • Driving kids with no car seats.
    • Not mowing her lawn.
    • Letting kids "Run wild" - I'd be interested to hear what this actually means, I expect my definition of wild is different to yours.
    • Having visitors you label as dodgy at any time throughout the day.
    • Having the Gardaí search the house.
    • Apparently having drugs found in the house (though I'm unsure as to how you'd know, do the Gardaí tell the neighbours?)

Anything else i miss? Of those, all bar the last do not affect your daughter in any way shape or form, apart from maybe denting her new house pride.

So what is the actual affect on your daughter? Has she been threatened, have her kids been bullied, has her property been damages or her car broken into?

There are more factors then parenting involved, it's not really that simple.

It doesn't explain how one child from a family can "go down the wrong path" while the others grow up fine.

All parented the same!

But that's for another thread, another day, I think.

You are being such a child today. Not just in this thread either.

The house is funded by the tax payer. Stating a fact doesn’t mean I have an issue with it, does it? My point is, drugs are being dealt from a house that is funded by the tax payer. Do you think that’s right? Drug dealing full stop isn’t right but it’s worse when people are bold enough not to work, get a house handed to them then slap the face of the average joe soap going to work every day to pay for their own house.

You do know how anti social behaviour is defined? It’s not exactly open to interpretation or can be suited to how one person perceives it compared to another. If you don’t see how any of the points I mentioned can be classed as anti social behaviour then I don’t know how I can get through to you. Drugs were found, trust me on that one.

From the comments here it’s easy to see who’s been raised in environments where the kind of behaviour I’ve described is frowned upon and seen as wrong, and it’s easy to see who’s been raised in environments where this kind of behaviour is seen as normal and acceptable. I don’t know whether to be shocked or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

My god this is such an embarrassing take. This soft touch and excusing of criminality is why towns and cities nationwide are turning into absolute holes. The poor junkies and dealers.

Bless you, you're easily shocked.

This is just another poorly disguised attempt at a welfare recepient and social housing bashing thread, the likes of those that comes up on boards at least once a month. Surprised you haven't seen them.

If you were really concerned about the (alleged) drug dealing, you wouldnt have started with the personal remarks about how this woman dresses, etc.

1/10

So now you're clearly saying that the "Free house" is part of the issue. Finally you're admitting it at least. I think it's telling that you'd be happier with drug dealers who bought their own house, you should examine that logic.

Again you completely decline to say how your daughter is actually affected by a woman wearing a dressing gown or having a messy garden. Apart from wounded pride maybe.

Incidentally what kind of environment was I raised in, if it's so easy to see?

I don’t want drug dealers at all.

In my very first post I asked what could be done to get this crowd out of the house. If they owned the house this thread wouldn’t exist. The fact the occupiers are tenants of the council means there is at least some bit of hope they can be removed.

A real result would be the case gets heard in court, Tusla get involved and the kids get taken away from her. From what I’ve seen and heard, she isn’t fit to be a parent to small children.

This isn’t only my daughter that’s concerned and annoyed, as mentioned previously there are quite a few of her neighbours that are feeling the same way but people are afraid to act in fear of repercussions.

In the post I just quoted you said it was worse that they had a free house. So drug dealers in their own house is better than in a social house. That's what you said. But in no way does the free house make your daughters life worse. The messy garden and dressing gown that's apparently ruining her life would be still ruining her life, so why mention the social house? Unless the point here is to just bash people in social housing.

Also, go on, tell me about how I was raised. You sneeringly said it was easy to do, so be brave enough to speak directly - What environment was I raised in?

Simple answer is they have no choice now. Its either pay higher and higher rents or buy and take your chances.

Now that the councils are leasing and buying houses in pre part v estates too, everyone is rolling the dice anyway.

Now to be fair there is nothing wrong with placing social tenants wherever they see fit because 99% of them will be great people and look after their homes and respect their neighbors.

The problem is that when the council fcuk up and put a troublemaker in the midst of law abiding people, they dont do anything about it and just wash their hands of it. That is the jist of this thread - even though others are trying relentlessly to make something of it that it isnt.

Ah that would be the BER effect. If people ignored BER and decided that they could afford an extra 500 a year or so to heat their house. when you get in change the light bulbs. Spend 3k on solar panels. Insulate your attic yourself for a fraction of what a professional will charge for it. Then they would be saving 10s of thousands.

But people give the BER far too much value.

I know people that wouldnt even look at a house with a C BER. Fools and their money. And I know people who have converted an F BER to a C or even a B for less than 10k.

OP's family seems to very unlucky - they had an almost identical thread looking for advice for the exact same issues on behalf of a nephew who was living beside an (alleged) drug dealer in a social house last year.

Poor family, all of them plagued by women wearing their dressing gowns all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Most of the new houses have more square footage and have better noise insulation as well. The help to buy scheme is another factor.

The "lower" priced second hand houses sell often well over the advertised price due to bidding.

I feel sorry for anyone who is trying to buy a house under €400k in the greater Dublin area in 2022...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement