Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Housing Issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Motivator

If you think anti social behaviour and criminal activity is acceptable carry on then you’re part of the problem in Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The estate where I grew up is a no go zone now. bvecause at the start one scumbag family brought drugs into the neighborhood. They got away with all sorts. All of the rest of the families there were stuck because they were coiuncil tenants and couldnt just selll and move. A lucky few got transfers.

So how did it progress?

Well they moved in. They wrecked their own house first. Kids ran riot. Kids became bolder as they got older. When they were 10 or 11 they started carrying drugs. Then offering them to other kids in the estate.

The gardai used to call a lot. Certainly more than they would call now, but to no avail.

Some tough parents would try to intervene but always ended up shouted down and beaten up some other night by unknown assailants. So that stopped too. Local TDs were no good at all.

Slowly but surely other you kids developed drug problems in the estate after being supplied by this family from about the age of 10. By the time parents noticed it was already too late. Lots of them ended up getting into crime, even dying. Some familys in the estate emigrated just to get away. Then noone would want the house apart from friends and relatives of the scumbag family. This increased the bad element and let to a spiral.

The end result was out of the row of 5 houses that I lived on 2 died of drug overdoses and one ended up in prison. Not unusual for the estate at all. Every row of houses would have similar numbers.

All of that stemmed from one scumbag family. I have relative still living in that estate. They thing its just normal everyday life at this point and dont even notice. Mark across the road going to jail or dying of an overdose is just after dinner conversation. Its a totally normal thing to happen on any given day.

The longer you live with something like this and dont get away, the more it seems fine to you. So you either get out or get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Jesus @JimmyVik that is a hard story to read yet the way you explained it makes it so easy to believe.

Yet on here you have fools thinking that they are basically lucky that it's only one family in the estate causing these issues.

Any idiot that thinks this is ok should be made read your post over and over until they get a clue.

This is the reality of a lot of estates now.

But people who already live in them think its normal. The big issue is that this is not taken care of at the early stages by the authorities. Unless you have that then its just going to get worse.

When you have lived in a place like that, and then moved to a place where it doesnt happen, you start to realize what a sh!t end of the stick normal working class people are getting who have to live near that kind of behavior.

I would never buy in any estate now. Especially new ones where you dont know who the state or charities are going to place in 25% or so of the new houses.

Also the same kind of sh!t is happening where councils are renting apartments and putting in scumbag tenants to destroy the lives of other people who bought apartments there. Would be grand if they put in nice people, or got rid of bad people when they started acting up, but they dont.

If I was buying a house, my first and only thought is am I happy for my kids to grow up here. Because like it or not, children get taken by these scumbags and turned into drones to service them. And parents wont see it til its too late and they have lost their children. I know this from bitter experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

No, you don't explain the difference, you just say it's intolerable that they have a social house, which seems to be you personal axe to grind.

I don't understand why, if it's the behaviour that's the problem why you're only focusing on their "free house". unless of course it's not their behaviour it's their class that you object to. I mean, wouldn't the daughter be fine f it was a social house where there was no behavioural problems, and just as upset if it was a non-social house with the same issues?

• Advertisement

If you think putting words in my mouth will give you moral authority, then you're part of the problem that has always existed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It honestly sounds like that's about 70% of the grievance

Well lucky you. Thwt is the reality these days and it will impact you where you live sooner or later. Come down to Ushers Quay or the Connolly e d of Talbot Street where there are real problems, not just one family with long grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

I find it truly amazing that a couple works hard, saves their holes off for a deposit, getting bent over in tax, childcare fees and everything else, pay 350k for a house and lumped in next door to them is some scumbag and his woman who have never worked a day in their life, more kids than they can afford paying a tenth of the hard working couple. Sums up this country and unfortunately only getting worse.

The fact people actually see this as anyway acceptable is beyond me. God forbid someone wants to buy a site now and spend their hard earned money on a quiet home to raise their kids they're being rejected now. This country is truly waster's and criminal's paradise.

• Advertisement

It really does, that's why so many is only mentioning how unfair it is that they have a "free house", and how upset the daughter must be by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Deeec

Nobody here has a problem with social housing - what they have a problem with is someone getting a social house and engaging in anti-social behaviour.

If this scum family lived a normal life this persons daughter wouldn't have any problems with them at all.

Post edited by Deeec on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

At this stage most people think weed should be legalized so if they only dealing that, well sorry but it's dumb that it's illegal. Somehow I think it's more than that. If they kept their kids under control and kept their house tidy nobody would have a problem with them. 

OP your daughter needs to keep a diary of everything that goes on. Get CCTV that points at the street in front of the house and sign post it. Basically make it clear that if you buy drugs here you will be recorded and it could be passed to the guards.

Get on to the community guards and to the council see keep applying pressure eventually the family will either clean up their act or do something that gets them moved.

I'll try to be as clear as possible for those with trouble comprehending.

Dealing drugs is bad.

Dealing drugs around children is bad.

Working hard to buy a house for your family to end up next to a drug dealer is bad.

Paying taxes for drug dealers to live in social housing is bad.

All of the above combined, is bad.

Anyone who describes this as "minor" is wrong.

I hope that makes sense, guys. Let me know if you need help with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nothing can or will be done.

the state does SFA to protect or enable the wellbeing of ordinary law abiding citizens in these situations. The country is an utter kip.

if a family was found to be dealing drugs in a property where young children reside….

parents arrested, convicted and sentenced based on the crime, not their circumstances.

The wellbeing of the children is paramount so kids get removed into care. Family or state…Can’t be in a house with drugs present and addicts calling.

the parents are given an eviction notice with a date say 5 or 6 weeks down the line.

any damage to the property they are held responsible.. up to and including criminal damage.

Well most posters here seem fixated on the 'free house' issue rather than the anti social behaviour issue so, ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Are you sure it's the council and not one of the housing associations cluid tuath or the likes? You'd have far more luck with them evicting said parcel of sh!te rather than the council. The councils hands are tied really as even if they hop the scum out of that house they still have to house them somewhere.

It's points 3 and 4 that are problematic. Many (most??) People in this country cannot afford their own home despite working hard and also paying taxes. So if they have to rely on social housing or some other form of subsidy to put a roof over their head, their grievance with anti social behaviour is not less valid.

The impacts described by the OP are minor, take a look around, go down to Ushers Quay or Talbot Street and you'll see very serious impacts. What is considered 'minor' has to be relative to what's going on around the place.

• Advertisement

You will never get me to feel sympathy for the type of people the OP describes. Dealing drugs from the home so generously provided by taxpayers.

Zero sympathy. They should be removed from social housing entirely. They can use their drug money for renting privately.

Fück them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There certainly is an element of hysteria in your descriptions. Certainly racism. Travelers and drug dealing don't normally go together so it makes your description a little doubtful.

A raid on a house and a discovery of anything does not make somebody a drug dealer as I know from personal experience. All it takes is one annoyed neighbour to make the claim and the Gardai may do a raid.

Were the resident actually charged with dealing and convicted?

People claims of a dealer bringing drugs into an area are at best naive understanding of drug use. They are everywhere and dealers don't have to be "pushers" because customers come to them.

By no means am I saying there is no issue just that the fears and claims don't really match up with reality. It also seems highly unlikely that such rampant drug dealing would be ignored by the Gardai. Lived near a notorious drug spot and the gardai were checking on the place all the time. The issue there was there were multiple properties used so they couldn't catch the dealers. One house obviously selling drugs does not make it difficult especialy in an area where others aren't involved in criminality because there is no wall of silence unlike where I am talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This is the problem with the current social housing policy of buying in private estates. These scrotes know they're untouchable by the council or Gardai and also know that no-one in the estate will stick their neck out to do anything.

I have huge sympathy for the OP's daughter here because this will very likely get worse before it gets better.

We moved house last year and avoided new builds for precisely this reason. Absolute russian roulette.

Ive read the entire thread. You are the only one fixated on that issue to be fair.

They know this, they just don't have any real argument so they try to shield themselves with this position.

When we say the drug dealer should be removed, we obviously mean to replace them with a law abiding family who deserves social housing.

But this is a bad thing, for some mysterious reason.

I believe all of those people mentioned all sorts of issues. It was just in responding to your one track about people only being concerned about a free house that you picked out those single replies.

Look. The reality is that people who buy houses would like to live beside people who also respect the area they live in and the people around them.

Anti-social behavior by anyone should not ne tolerated nor normalized, as people seem to be trying to do in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

I actually don't have a problem with law abiding, working people getting social housing. If a person is working, on low wages and trying to run a family and doing their bit they should absolutely be helped.

Drug dealing scum, in and out of the courts, never worked a day of their life, convictions going back 20 years should never be put in a new house beside hard working people. Too many sensitive people easily offended nowadays.

These people are a tiny minority of those who depend on social housing. The income limit for a social housing application is €50k. Our social housing system should be full of low income workers. Not many nurses or teachers pulling in 50k. In practice the social housing system ignores a large % of the people who are entitled to it.

• Advertisement

Again, people are not saying anyone in a social house should be evicted.

They are saying anti-social people should be evicted, especially if they be drug dealers.

Drug dealing is not minor either. Especially when there are young kids growing up in the area.

How are you not understanding this after it being explained to you so many times?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement