Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the Irish Labour party such a failure ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,982 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If Labour found a decent, charismatic, principled leader… that would stay true to the primary responsibility that should be at the heart of every party in the state, of.. working their holes off to provide a fair and just, socially responsible, safe, resourceful and efficient government and associated services for the people of Ireland … our needs, requirements, wellbeing… catered to first and foremost ahead of anybody else…. They would stroll to power…

they elect however bad leaders, too much time pandering to special interest groups and enabling themselves with too many superfluous distractions that any sort of coherent message just gets lost…

The last election, Labour got 4.38 % first preference votes.

2007 - 10.13%

2011 - 19.45%

2016 - 6.61%

in 5 years, to loose more then 12%, almost 13% of your support between 2011-2016.

Bacik won’t fix that malaise… she might well make it worse…she lacks gravitas, relatability that the core Labour voter wants and that the country so desperately needs…

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I think Duncan Smith is the next leader in waiting. I've been very impressed with some of his Dail contributions, especially one calling out the Healy Rae's for who they are.

I think he's waiting for the next crop to come through before taking on the reigns. There is still a lot of the 'old guard' from 2011 to 2016 still in the Dail. If (when) the party realises Ivana carries just as much baggage as Kelly, Howlin etc then he'll rise up to be the alternative when Sinn Fein inevitably make a bags of it in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You're dreaming.

Labour are done, they might get a seat or two either way in the future but thats it.

Labour will languish at around 3-5 percent. It will always have its base.

Also, everyone said the Greens were done after 2011.

I remember there new leader going on TV after last election telling david cullinane his mandate was pointless and didnt count as it was populist

The strongest trade union city in the state and couldnt even muster a labour party canditidate.....

She may become one of the best political leader in history of the state and turn it around,or limp off into obsurity after next election,after failing to gain traction due,to becoming an defacto coalition member to present government and caught up in its unpopularity

• Advertisement

Ivana Bacik was leader of the Seanad between 2011 and 2016. She's just as responsible for all of those cuts as Eamon Gilmore, Joan Burton, Brendan Howlin and Alan Kelly were.

Labour won't recover until all of them are not involved in the leadership of the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

She wasn't.

Maurice Cummins of FG was Leader of the Seanad for that time.

Labour's leader in the Seanad (and overall Deputy Leader), sorry.

Doesn't take away from the fact that she carries just as much baggage from that government even if she wasn't a TD.

You would be correct,fundamentally though,she isnt a public a face as the rest of em....rightly or wrongy your average person on street couldnt name too many members of the seanad

Which makes her decision to plant herself front and centre justifying what they done to the country and essentially telling people to pipe down and be quiet,when everyone in country has friends and relatives forced into making lives overseas due to way they ran the country

A party of labour bringing in forced internships to underline profits of private sector,and slashing welfare payments for younger people (still.havnt recovered btw)....only in ireland would this happen and be regarded as normal

That's true as well, but more scrutiny will be thrown at her so the public will know what exactly her role was.

Hence why Labour needs a Duncan Smith to lead them in the future, because he doesn't carry that baggage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Trouble is where's that next crop is coming from? The Greens recovered after 2011 because they still had no rival ecology-like party for their vote to migrate to, whereas Labour is competing with the SDs and to a lesser extent the PBP/AAA lot.

Think I gave Jo Costello 3rd or 4th preference back in 2020 but at the time my feeling was "why are you still around?"..

They've a few young Senators knocking around. Annie Hoey, Rebecca Moynihan etc and some young councillors as well.

It will probably be another 10 years or so before they have any real prominance again. SF will lead the next government but when they inevitably make a holy show of themselves then those voters who want to give them a chance will go elsewhere, and by then those who aren't old enough to remember 2011 to 2016 will be eligible to vote.

Until then they'll still have a base strong enough to keep hold of 5-7 seats.

Your talking roughly 1 million or so electorate,which will amount to circa 10% of electorate....the labour party stragedy is to capture the entirity of that vote?

Theres a strong risk pbp,shinners and indo lefts could squeeze their present TDs and they may not make the 5% vote to allow annual leaders speech be broadcast.....they may get to work building straight away and not be counting on someone else to fcuk up and pick up scraps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Plausible but it'll be an uphill struggle. I don't see Labour making many gains unless the SocDems implode.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd say Marie Sherlock will be on the ballot next time

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Soc Dems and Labour are not really that different from each other and should probably just merge. Gary Gannon was even trying to join the European group that Labour would be part of in European Parliament.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Watched her on TV being presented to the media as the new Labour leader and I think the first thing she said was "women are still paid less than men". What women Ivana? Are you speaking from personal experience, academic staff in Trinity, Senators, TDs?

If this is an indication of where she's taking the Labour Party, identity politics, then they haven't a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Such mergers can often end up with LESS support and representation than the two individual parties had before the merger. I'm not sure who a merger would help?

I'm surprised Smith didn't go forward this time. It would be a high-risk strategy for him to choose to 'bide his time', as there may not be much of a party left by the time he's ready to go forward.

I'd guess that's the old gender pay gap she's talking about there, still a very real issue for many women in many industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

"I'd guess that's the old gender pay gap she's talking about there, still a very real issue for many women in many industries."

What industries?

If you do a statistical survey of wage/salary levels in any area of employment you will always find a 'gender pay gap' because men and women have in general different priorities, different interests, different responsibilities, different abilities. No doubt there are some areas where the gap is tiny or favour females but I doubt Ivana will be highlighting them. Maybe she will be more interested in industries like construction or agriculture?

Good luck if this is going to one of the main points of focus for her tenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

• Advertisement

Could you give any examples of sexist or misandrist statements from her please? Preferably something that hasn’t been debunked in previous discussions here on this topic,

So no examples then, that’s what I reckoned.

She lost any chance of a Labour bounce, from me, 10 years ago.

On a national radio show she stated that men are not discriminated against in family court, stating the fact that family courts are sealed to show there being no evidence of it.

A fellow family law practitioner was audibly stuck for words, that she would say that, and called her to task after a few seconds.

She's toxic and will start courting that very vocal Twitter minority, assuming it will equate to general votes.

The Soc Dems are falling into the same trap, playing to identity politics

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i was 'meh' about Alan Kelly but at least he had the common touch and was never given time to prove himself - wonder will he support her or did she oust him? love to know what happened behind close doors

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

You can be as smug as you like. She's a nonentity but treated with kid gloves by a media fearful of SF's prominence and will be pushed repeatedly by RTE and the IT as some sort of leader of the opposition. As a previous poster said, outside of her supporter cohort of white, middle class, universally educated left leaning women, she's an irrelevance.

All party leaders need to be able to reach out to as many parts of the electorate as possible. She doesn't. I cannot see her even getting re-elected.

The Labour movement have spent the last 40 years focusing on identity politics, with a resulting decrease year on year of their core support. Fine, let her carry on dictating to us about correct pronoun use or which statues to tear down. Just don't expect most of us to be listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Augme

Alan Kelly was never wanted as leader by the parliamentary party by all accounts. He was ousted by his fellow TDs at the first opportunity and Ivana helped come along to present that opportunity. By all accounts she wasn't the one who initiated it or leading it.

If you heard the Sarah McInerney interview, you’ll realise how very far from reality your suggestion that RTE will handle her with kid gloves is.

I’m not sure she’s the best choice for Labour, but if your going to have a go, at least keep it vaguely real.

You've never posted here to support the people of Ukraine. You never advocating for the people of Ukraine, is the exclusion of them, exclusion of them is discrimination and in this case exclusion because of where they come from.

That's how the game works, right? She's been a public figure for thirty years and you can't find a single thing that she actually said to complain about, so you're now whinging about what she didn't say.

She's on the Six O'Clock News on RTE today supporting the (mostly male) P&O workers down the docks, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You were the one asked the question, "put your own work in" is an admission of failure to be able to answer it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement