Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is entering dairying still an option

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

What would you expect to get for 100k in terms of buildings.i couldn't see even the parlour done now for 100k even with second hand machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Would you have much help at home?

Good parlours come up pretty regularly, there was a nice 10 unit delaval on twitter before Xmas for 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 18,373 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think this is the nub of it. There is a lot of lads involved in dairying that have been in continual expansion mode and forget about costs above and below 70 cows. As well they can only relate all costs to there own enterprise.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

There was a lovely looking parlour 5 years old, a meal feed system with new bin, bulk tank sold by auction a few months back for a lot less than 20k all in.

Chap could sign on dotted line for a tractor for 100k now and there wouldn’t be a word about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I've a colleague on sick leave for over 1 year on full pay, big difference indeed.

Look it's up to OP, I'm just explaining there are easier ways to make a better living outside of the "white gold" every morning,noon and night.

And it certainly takes a tight ship to get anywhere near the figures been given here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

working on an oil rig or as others mentioned care assistant,sna or hospital care staff..i would hate every moment of that work..before i took over the farm i had worked in security both door and static,operated most machines on building site and have held tickets for most

if i wanted easy money i could lease the farm to a local dairy farm and take home 60k per year from driving a track machine or simular...id make plenty of money but id hate my life,also have no interest in getting an off farm job and part time farming on a Saturday and all day sunday.

100k would cover buying and installing a 2nd had parlour and revelent equipment into an existing shed,a 2 bay tank fitted into an existing shed,cover a yard (quote for this is €12,600) and fit cubicles into shed..small bit of digger work needed to widening area for milk lorry...i reckon 100k would have alot of it done but will get proper pricings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The only mistake you have made is that you have not already converted ,what is holding you back ??

Why have you to come on here to validate your idea to start milking ,like you have been told it is not a walk in the park and more of a vocation rather then a job

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

What have you got to lose so? It's about the practicalities now? How much of the 100k do you need to borrow? Have you approached lenders and can you get the money? Have you approached a processor? Have you approached bord bia about getting quality assured for dairy? When do you intend starting? Buy calved cows day 1 or rear some heifers while converting the buildings?

It's farming you want to do and you might as well milk cows if you think that will be more secure, I'd wish you the best and if you do make the switch I hope it will go well for you.

first port of call is making sure i can get a contract,im in a glanbia area,have been offered of the required amount of co op shares from a family member,just seeing at the moment if i meet the required €5k trade spending think i could be a few 100 short of it for my 2020 spending but 2021 spending is up to the level..so thats the first steps i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,373 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

My one fear for you after you posting that is that you may be inflexible in certain situations. I always considered work as a way of earning a living. Farming was the same to me and it created wealth for me.

You said you do not like the idea if working all week and farming Saturday and Sunday. You are facing working 40-45 of the Saturday and Sundays for the next 20+years. Ya you can get relief milking but you are still tied to the place.

It's the one thing that would have stopped me ever considering going milking cows. While costs have risen exploded this year it's a 12-18 month issue. I also think prices may reflect these costs or even more than them. It's the ability to manage the.money side of the business that causes problems

Having said that I think dairying is profitable. 70% of dairy farmers I see have decent setups. The ones I see with the least stress are the 60-100 cow men that have these setups going for years.

I think that some lads bought into expansion, expansion expansion without realising the workload and cost. Many in there 20's went roofless cubicles, lagoons etc to maximize cow numbers and now find they are continually investing to upgrade.

As well they are finding pressure points hitting them, whether it's calf value, going to have to retain calves longer, rising costs,labour, environmental pressures ( upgrading roads, roofing cubicles areas, slurry storage, limits on fertlizer) etc. Mainly they missunderstood the business and the continual investment in the type of project they took on .

OP I see you have little budgeted for farm roadway or for water installation. While the road is there the surface may need upgrading for cows walking it every day. A proper water system could cost 15 k, however you are stocked at 165kgsN/ HA so I expect that at present a good basic system is in place.

You still haven't said how much of the 100 k you need to borrow. The total will cost you 160-180/ cow over 15 years. You have to be careful with any additional borrowings. While you have no borrowing at present and this is an advantage, you may not understand the discipline of managing loans.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

To answer your question I think it 8s to late for conversion to dairy.do not underestimate the potential threats coming down the line.i would not base any plan on milking more than 40 cows and a yearly supply of 250 k litres.that is due to potential regs coming down the line and I believe will come into play.i was in a similar postion to you back in the noughties except we had 35 cows a parlour and some winter accommodation on 40 acres and in 2009 I gave up off farm work and started milking fulltime.the environment surrounding dairy was completely different then and in the intervening 13 years I have never seen as much headwinds to milking cows as I do now.i don't see capital costs in infrastructure coming in for 100k and I would not contemplate going milking if I didn't have the value of the cows in either stock or cash on hand.best of luck to you

But what makes you think you wouldn't hate milking cows if you have no experience as such? You've made reference to not wanting to work weekends on more than one occasion in this thread. I don't think the borrowings mentioned would be a patch on it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

went head long into expansion here and love every minute of it, I’ve yet to meet a farmer who has regretted it so far. Lots of money spent and will continue too, you’ll have a yard falling down around yiu in 10 years if you don’t reinvest in it

I’ve scoury calves atm but it’s part of the road

think you’re making up a big fairy tale there bass

100k, even 120k isn’t big money over 10 years if OP gets a nice set up, he’ll get good money fit his current stock this year to convert into cows/heifers

if he can find a nice 12 unit plus parlour he’d be milked and washed up in 50 minutes

you’re making a big deal out of borrowing money, it’s not. OP surely has experience with borrowing money for machinery/ his mortgage for his house etc

what i mean when i stated i dont want to farm at the weekends and work off farm full time is the fact of trying to cram a week of farm work into a Saturday and sunday like i see so many part time lads at,..my friends,relatives and neibours who have started milking in recent time are wrong and slaves according too alot of the comments on this tread?..they must be exsperts at hiding it so?

thanks to everyone for the helpful advice and points as my plans and ideas are still in there infancy

but it seem now the thread is now turning too to sledging,it seems there is alot of bitterness in some of these farming fourms unfortunately,..ask i stated im only a young farmer looking at his options of what he can do with his farm to make an income..i havent jumped onto any dairy bandwagon assuming its a get easy way to make a fortune

You picked a bad time to ask the question as most lads are fairly wrecked and cranky at this time of year.maybe ask it again in the autumn when the pressure is off and you might get more positive responses from the milking lads 😁

Late March is normally time for the perpetual “should I give up farming” thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭older by the day

Sher work away so. There are a big mix of views on here. Some intelligent, some not as much. Its completely up to yourself. At the end of the day if you succeed or fail it's not the end of the world. A lot of lads around here have retired from farming and they are fine. My couple of posts were negative, but in my eyes they were true. Don't underestimate the cost and the time. Learn about tbc, cell count, protein, fat, thermoduric, antibiotics use in dairying and you will be fine. If you talk to ten farmers you could get ten different views. ITS COMPLETELY UP TO YOURSELF

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Usual phases of the year; spring, "I've too many cows!" to autumn, " could prob carry another share of cows!"

When I worked on a dairy farm years ago as a chap I enjoyed the docility of the cows, the different characters and the routine and structure to the day.

The spring work that time was tough. A lot of bucket carrying! 12 bales of straw every second day. 40 kg bags of meal on your shoulder and into a shed of 40 cattle through scutter around the ring feeder/gate to feed 40 odd cattle in near dark. Ewes lambing, sick calves, a. Heap of fertilizer to go out.

My hours were 8 to 6, 7 to 7 in the spring. half hour for dinner , tae at 10 15 mins. The tractor seat was a treat as it was a rest! These generation of dairy farmers were incredible. He was always out well before I arrived and had a lot of work still to do when I was leaving! The stomach would be falling out of me and I’d be shattered fit for the bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Some of the comments are mad. Expecting to make 60k a year in an off farm job with no qualifications? jezz what planet are ye on. The average wage is around the 40k outside of Dublin and most positions need a qualification or at least you'd be competing for the job with someone who has. 60k in Dublin is equivalent to 40k elsewhere and doesn't leave much room for savings. And you won't be standing around idle either.

If the OP wants to go milking far play to him, and even if he doesn't make a fortune he'll still be his own boss, it's a great lifestyle when you compare it to some of the jobs out there. Cut your cloth to measure, even if you have to start smaller than you think, at least you'll be in the game and be able to expand in the future be it from renting a bit more ground or getting someone to contract rear the replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭White Clover

)@weatherbyfoxer I think if you've good land, go for it. That much alone will take a lot of the stress and work out of it. If you can make 40k at the cows and another 10k at the contracting, it'd be worth a lot more than a 50k paye job and you'll be happy.

Remember too that a lot of these so called cushy well paid paye jobs are head wreckers. The idea that they are 9 to 5 Monday to friday is very misleading.

I have 80 acres of heavyish ground, if it was good free draining land, I'd be doing what you're thinking of doing.

Sure you asked for thoughts and opinions? I get the impression you have your mind made up and I wish you the best with it. What do your friends, neighbours and relatives think of your plans?

they all say its well worth looking at,the land here is all good quality ground,90% of it was in a tillage rotation system when my father was farming growing beet,potatoes or barley..it would allow me to be able to get out cows early enough in the spring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭straight

I didn't read the whole thread but I'll give my two cents here anyway. I took over the place here 5 or 6 years ago. Started off with 65 cows and milking about 75 now. Gave up my job of 20 years to go dairy farming. I think I nearly did it as a favour to my parents more than anything else.

The place here was fairly well set up but I've invested at least another 120k in sheds/infrastructure. Probably spent another 100k in machinery and the stock cost 100k. I've all debt paid off now and did most of it from cashflow.

It's hard relentless work but rewarding too. You could nearly compare it to having children 😀. I like the breeding side of it myself and the fact that I'm running my own business. My biggest problem is the workload can be a bit much at times but moreso the fact that I'm a bit too tied to the place. It's hard to get away anywhere for anymore than a day or two at a time.

My wife is not interested in farming or the lifestyle which doesn't help either.

Happy enough at it overall and have the children out and about with me loads and they like it. Great place to raise a family.

My accountant has me at 1k euro profit per cow but the reality is it's all been going back into it over the past 5 years. From now on I intend saving some of the profits.

Have you approached a creamery yet op? What’s the procedure?

yea was talking to glanbia wont be too much hassle,if i go ahead id be set to milk spring 2024

seeing all this talk of herd reductions and the spiralling building costs are my only concerns about the idea

be hard pushed by they time its goes to the board and paperwork is done..i think it would be a bit of a rush job now on my own part too

So they are taking on new nitrates next year aswell then.. This is nothing against you but I don't think they should be taking on new entrants full stop while existing suppliers are restricted..like I'm restricted to sub 250k litres in a spring calving system because of low reference year litres. I presume you could supply up to 550k litres without restriction.

• Advertisement

As of now, Those restrictions will end in 2024 won't they?

Advertisement