Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Deal changes might actually happen but...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

You can’t enter a contract on behalf of someone else you don’t have legal authority to do so …..

the more you post the more it is clear that you don’t really understand the subject matter

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

But that is a choice. When I was a kid I remember my father's elderly Aunt going into a nursing home. She had a house and a small farm but no family. She went in and then the house and farm were sold to pay for her care. That is what assets are for. the house was renovated by the buyer and moved into soon afterwards and the circle life went on.

The aunt had a lot of nieces and nephews (old school, probably ~40 or more). So when she eventually passed away, there was a small inheritance for each. Under your view, you want a scenario where the State would have paid for all her care, the house and the house and property would have been left vacant for years, just so her nieces and nephews could have received a larger inheritance and no risk of delay in releasing it? I don't agree with that.

All I am putting forward here is an incentive to rent out the house. Simple as that. Nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is very clear he doesn't know what he is talking about better off ignoring him or he will keep posting

Who is going to sell my mother’s property ? She hasn’t the mental capacity to do so - and legally we can’t touch it. she is not unique in this situation.

If selling the property was an option we would have done it immediately, put all the proceeds in to her bank account and paid for the nursing home care directly from that account.

but in law this isn’t an option nor is it possible ….. do you understand that part?

The Fair Deal scheme is a contract there genius.

• Advertisement

Which has an exception where by you can be appointed as a ‘care representative’ by the circuit court in order to facilitate the Fair Deal arrangement . Nothing more nothing less.

so again - you are showing your lack of knowledge or understanding of the subject matter.

And I will repeat that my mother will pay for her nursing home care - it is not a case of the children trying to maximise the inheritance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If there is no enduring power of attorney and the person lacks capacity then a care representative or a ward of court can apply on their behalf. Again, you have no idea what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,842 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The 'Fair Deal' is one of the bigger social changes I think in my lifetime. Not that long ago that elderly parents, relatives and even neighbours were minded in the local community, at home or by dropping in etc. Less need for nursing home care as less medical intervention, people just died, maybe a bit before their time but often with less suffering perhaps. Most of the value of assets passed to the family.

What's happened since is a whole industry created around nursing homes and a transfer of wealth via the 'Fair Deal' from the family towards these often private enterprises.

And a shame to see houses left unused for years. I know of one vacant for 8 years.

And the person can also be appointed a ward of court. There are always mechanisms.

Let me give you a hypothetical scenario. Suppose nobody signs the "Fair Deal agreement". Or the "care representative" declines to sign it. What are the possible outcomes? There are legal mechasims though the courts to release those assets to pay for the owner's upkeep. They won't release them to the son or daughter to buy a new beamer but they can ultimately be accessed for the benefit of the owner.

Everything is a choice. The choices might not include the one you want, but such is life

Oke dokey. According to ohnonotgmail, if a person becomes incapacitated then there is NO mechanism by which their assets can ever be accessed to their benefit until they die. I hope you don't charge for legal advice?

• Advertisement

Your rosy view of life in the olden days is not shared by those who lived then.

there are mechanisms. the post you responded to mentioned those mechanisms. again, you need to read the posts you reply to.

with the same outcome. I'm not sure what your angle on this point is? You clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about it - but I'll reiterate.

I was awarded Care Rep over my mother and I needed the agreement of my 4 siblings to have it granted. If I didn't get their agreement in the application I am sure the next move would have been the intervention of the courts to make her a ward of court and used her assets in more or less the same way via something like the Fair Deal. But thankfully we are normal people and want to do what is best for our mother.

Your obsession with children wanting to take the money speaks more about you than anyone else - there is absolutely zero legal way for me to take a single euro of my mother's money / assets to put in my wallet.

If I did manage to take a penny off her while she is still alive would be theft and when probate comes around that will be evident for all to see.

Absolute nonsense coming out of your keyboard

Well there might have been a concern from the start in that case that the beneficiaries would be delayed in cashing in their inheritance should there be tenants, thereby causing an inconvenience. (The other reason for a delay in cashing in the inheritance would be, of course, the person hanging on)

I just think there should be an incentive to rent out those unused houses. It is difficult to see why someone could argue with that as a concept.

no - it has been pointed out to you that this is possible by appointing a 'Care Representative' in the Circuit Court (which I have done) or making her a ward of court

The court would have allowed her assets to be used to pay for her care. The route you chose was the Far Deal scheme. It was not the only possible outcome. That is my simple point.

Incentive is different to forcing the property to be rented out.

Taking in €1000 per month in rental income of which approx 50% will be taken by the tax man isn't an incentive to anyone who has been stung before by tenants

I don't know what time you are from but people going into nursing homes is something I have seen all my life.

Fair Deal has changed nothing other than payment for services that were provided by the state as part of your PRSI contributions if you could get into a public nursing home. The private ones were about too. The real change is the cost which is down to improved worker rights, wage inflation and the removal of religious orders.

Lots of services to help people stay in their homes and friends and neighbours still help out. My granny was getting meals on wheels 20 years ago

Things could be different in rural areas I guess but still think it odd somebody would be complaining about improved health care.

how else do you pay for care for somebody that requires 24 hour care if their income doesn't cover the cost? that runs to thousands a month just for nursing home care. 24 hour care at home would cost more.

Not correct ... as a Care Rep I am only allowed to enter the property in to the Fair Deal scheme - I still can not dispose of any of her assets. So again you don't know what you are talking about

• Advertisement

You "pointed it out" in the context of the FD scheme which simply allows a contract to the signed which creates a lien on the assets. Which means their assets are accessed after they die

I pointed out that this is not the only option to release those assets for the benefit of the owner. But some apparently want to deny this

what are the other options for those that lack capacity?

I did not say otherwise. What I said was that being appointed a Care Rep is not the only mechanism.

Can you tell me what way there is for me to dispose of my mother's assets when she has no mental capacity and no Enduring Power of Attorney ?

You seem to think there is - but it must be a mystery?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,842 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Depends what you mean by improved health care. If you mean helping people who are still active and able to engage in life, yes improved health care is great. But I'm sure I'm not alone in visiting nursing homes and seeing people kept alive by repeated medical interventions, often as simple as flu treatment, when their quality of life has long gone. I know one sensible home help who often observes that 'flu was once the old persons friend'.

Even if you are not aware, google + 2 mins is your friend. For example:

When a person is made a Ward of Court, the person’s property such as house, land, bank accounts, etc., come under the protection and control of the Court. Depending on what funds are available to meet the expenses of the Ward, such as nursing home fees for example, the Court may permit the Committee to sell property or shares. Where a property or shares are sold the money is lodged in the Court and used for the Ward’s benefit. If possible, the property can be rented and the rent used for the Ward’s benefit. In relation to banks and credit unions accounts: these accounts are usually closed and the proceeds lodged in the Ward of Courts Office. When payments are required to discharge nursing home fees, etc.,

I think people are mixing up the tax rate and the Fair Deal situation. If you rented out in Fair Deal more goes to the state and THEN you are taxed at 50+% so nobody rented them out. They are talking about removing the part where rent goes to cost of care and the rent is ONLY taxed. Still unappealing for many but the main concern I would have is the rights to sell after inheritance as SF have suggested that selling a property shouldn't affect the tenant and also want to remove the need for personal or family need.

I never said there was a way for you to (unilaterally) dispose of her assets. It would need to be done through the court and with the permission of the court. Any proceeds would be protected for the ward's benefit and decisions would be made for the ward's benefit alone. See above.

Am I saying you should do that? No, I don't know your circumstances. I am only saying it is an option. Signing up to FD is always an option.

Even after a person is already in FD. Should they later lose capacity and should it be necessary, they can still be made a ward of court.

That is a summary of a very complicated legal process.

The court has control and the committee can request certain actions. But at all times the it must be in the best interest of the person who is the ward of court. And it would be the Fair Deal which would be a much better route than selling a property. It is also an expensive process which is not in the interest of the person being made ward.

Believe me if this was a valid option I would have gone down this route - but based on legal advice what we did was in the best interest of my mother and she can pay for her care for as long as she needs it from her lifetime's work.

Also - a court would probably reject the need to make her a ward of court when there is agreement to appoint a Care Representative. So it wouldn't get that far. The courts ensure that all other avenues are explored before going down this route.

Thankfully my family are all reasonable people and we didn't need to go down this route

• Advertisement

I understand that - and after being shafted by tenants in the past I would sooner set fire to the house than become a landlord again. It also opens up the chances of never being able to regain control of the property again.

It is a bungalow sitting on almost an acre in a large commuter town - in reality it needs to be knocked down and either apartments or houses built on the site. If it were rented out and SF had there way it would be left as a single rented house until the tenants decided to leave - which is not what is needed for the housing crisis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement