Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting new car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I don't think there is any wrong type of car if you make good decisions. I have friends with phev and it suits them very well. I would be happy to get a pure petrol car if it met my needs also. The phev elec isn't very fast and often limited to 80 km/h so not an especially exciting drive for the few km you do each day. But very green. Is that what you want?

Ideally a full elec is the way forwards. It's still an expensive game but better value than the phev in many cases as it's often 4k more than the petrol equivalent. The ev is a better long term approach.

You say you are driving very little. So more money on a nice auto petrol cruiser could be money well spent.

Equally good long term ownership on the right ev could be a nice experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

That is interesting re VW and PHEVs. I would imagine in their position they need to do radical prioritisation at the moment as they are struggling to get cars out to dealerships.

However, don't see how they will be obsolete. It is not like they will no longer be making and supplying parts or that their resale value will be impacted - particularly the way the market is.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

I’ve been considering 2021/2022 used cars now because of the issues with time getting new ones and I’m a bit confused because for most car brands (and I do check on their own websites), I notice that used cars are actually more expensive than new ones?!?! Does this make any sense??? This is especially the case for VWs and Toyotas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The car market has been turned upside down with the chip shortage in the last 2+ years causing these issues. The events in Russia won't help either.

But when things stabilise it will return to the way it was or something like it. Buying an overpriced car today on credit could be problematic if prices drop in 1 to 2 years faster than the debt you carry and you need or intend to trade.

If you are going to keep for 7 years then not so much of an issue but you are still paying more than the new car as you say! But the new car may be unavailable for months or even years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭User1998

People would rather pay more for a car they can purchase and drive away today instead of waiting up to 12 months for a brand new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It does make sense. Think about it, it's a case of supply and demand. They have a car available right now that you would have to wait at least 12 months to get brand new. People will pay more if they really want the car right now rather than wait at least 12 months for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Maybe check out some Kia's and Hyundai's, Renaults maybe Citroen and Peugeot as well. They all have nice cars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Stay away from Diesel if you keep your cars long term. I also think "mild" hybrids are a waste of time. If going hybrid, it should be plug-in petrol hybrid. The Hyundai Tucson is well within your budget and covers 50km on electric mode and anything further on the petrol. My Dad has one and it's quite nice to drive. I drive Full EV myself and that's what I recommend if it works for you. Superior drive, lower tax, cleaner, little to no servicing and far cheaper to run. I would personally choose Tesla Model 3 or Hyundai Ioniq 5 with the Tesla far in the lead. If you are ok with lower range, the likes of the Nissan Leaf 40 is a solid and reliable car....basically same as the previous L24/30 model with a big facelift and some new tech. New from as little as 28k I think.

Free Palestine from Hamas

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

A Tuscon being described as quite nice to drive is hilarious, compared to what a 98 Carina.

Nissan Leaf is obsolete now given the competition and will be replaced soon. There is a reason Nissan are giving 0% finance on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

It shouldn't surprise you that not everyone shares your preference of vehicle. I wouldn't personally choose a Tucson, but it is a nice drive, as in comfortable with plenty of space and does the job on our roads be it city, or country or motorway driving. It's a good mid-level choice IMO. You're entitled to yours too.

I don't know the future of the Leaf, but I know that right now, they are a decent enough and well proven EV at a low enough price point with a range to suit most drivers on most journeys.

Free Palestine from Hamas

Well the way EV battery technology and range is evolving you should try to future proof yourself somewhat when buying a new EV. The Leaf was bit of a pioneer when it was launched but now it's overshadowed by much better competition. You need to think about tomorrow, not just today when buying as you have to sell it at some point and if battery tech and range standards are better then people won't want something obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

What's the obsolete part though?

I absolutely love the Honda e but I’m not sure it’s for me because I live in the countryside. Of course, now that I am at home most of the time, I only drive to town once a week and that’s a short drive (20 to 30 min).

The other options I’m thinking of are the hybrid cars like the Toyota Corolla, the Kia Sportage or the Tucson. I know that the Corolla is on a different level but it has everything I need, it’s just that it’s not as advanced as the others from what I see on YouTube. And both the Sportage and Tucson are for families and we’re just two adults… I wish Kia had a car as nice as the Sportage but smaller.

My partner would like another VW but I’m not sure as I don’t want to go diesel again. I keep cars a long time and diesels are on the way out… Also, VW only have fully electrics (no hybrids) and not as attractive as the Honda e. If I was sure I’d want to go fully electric, I’d definitely get the Honda e. I’m just not sure about electric cars yet. Suppose that in the future we all have electric cars, how is the ESB going to handle that!

That’s a plug in hybrid, not a hybrid. It’s not the same thing. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think buying a new EV at present is pure madness.

The market has never been higher in terms of pricing and with advancements in technology and range, the cars become undesirable and prices plummet fairly lively. Just ask anyone who bought an E-Golf in the last 5 years, for example. You'll end up paying top dollar for something that is highly likely not to retain its value that well.

If you aren't doing huge mileage, you should look at new or nearly new, solely petrol vehicle, i think they are a good shout. You'll have no issues with range, most have decent fuel economy, low road tax, the technology is reliable and can be repaired anywhere, the fuel is readily available and will be for years to come, they aren't too bad for the environment locally or globally, they are nice and quiet to drive and you're not paying for lip service hybrid system adding weight and complication to the vehicle for something that you would never see a return on the investment value of anyway.

Reading back on the thread (and i do be hesitant to recommend certain things as to not look too biased, but...) you really do have a petrol Octavia written all over your list of requirements.

It's still a VAG product so you wont feel lost coming from a Passat and it would feel similar in size too.

You'll get plenty of tech with the big infotainment display, virtual cockpit, keyless, apple car play/ android auto, radar cruise, lane assist, park pilot, auto lights and wipers etc.

the 1.0 TSi makes about as much power as an old 1.9 Passat and will do mid 40's mpg wise without and hassle, 50's if you push it.

You'd get into something less than 12 months old with plenty of manufacturers warranty left for around €30k, so well under your max budget and the difference would buy enough fuel to do around 60,000 kms.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-style-1-0tsi-110hp/30657887

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Complete rubbish, EV,s are holding their value extremely well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

With the increased price of used cars, are dealers offering better trade ins or pocketing extra for themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Casati

It’s a great time to buy a new EV, the advances made now mean you have many options for purpose built high range cars so you don’t have to restrict yourself to something like a Golf e which sold in tiny numbers.

EV’s are still attracting SEAI grants and VRT rebates (up to 50k) and this certainly won’t always be the case- Ie prices are likely to rise considerably as a result.

if the OP has home charging then buying a new Ioniq 5 is a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭User1998

So you’ll buy an electric vehicle, or a hybrid. But not a plug in hybrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but how bad exactly is your current 2006 vehicle?

You don't seem to drive that much. Would a few € spent on fixing that be something you'd consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I know its not the same, I had 2 hybrids and 2 plug in hybrids, would recommend the plug in all day long, a ordinary hybrid will give about the same economy as a diesel car, the plug in should do 40 km easily on battery perhaps more depending on how you drive it, not bad considering the honda e will only do 200 km.

Ah, in todays lack of supply market, stuff less than say 24 months old is holding it's value, yeah. But everything is holding savage value right now so it's not really a good time to judge it.

But in general they are prime for a kicking. You can't give away older Leafs, E-Golfs, Ioniq's etc mainly because the range is dire and they havn't got any other redeeming features really.

I just think it someone is unsure, there's really no need to jump into an expensive EV when a considerably cheaper ICE vehicle would do him absolutely fine and would come with plenty of benefits even after the initial saving on purchase price.

You'd be fairly sore if you bought a new EV6 or ID4 or whatever now for €50k and when the newer model is released in 3 or 4 years time when supply to the market has began to ease, you will get a serious kicking on the value of what you already have.

The only people who I ever seem to see disagreeing with this approach are either EV enthusiasts or someone who owns an EV. As far as I can see, there are fairly limited circumstances where the numbers stack up to change to an EV.

Yes, because a hybrid does not need to be charged. The car charges itself. I do know that you can still drive plug in hybrids even when the battery is not charged but then the car consumes a lot more fuel than any other type of car.

It’s going well now but it failed the NCT and just cost me nearly 1000 euros to fix. And yeah that’s what my partners thinks: keep the old car until it dies…

I don't think one is necessarily more fuel efficient than the other just because it doesn't have a plug. Outside of all the marketing nonsense these days the only difference between them is that you plug one into the wall to charge the battery. The other one still uses the engine to charge the battery and the engine still needs fuel to do that. If your driving style or journeys types rely on the engine for either mostly then I cannot see much difference in fuel consumption either. It will probably boil down to if having access to a regular charger is convenient or not. It obviously makes little sense to buy a plug in hybrid if you don't have a home charger.

Long term both self charging and plug in hybrids are going to go away because they still rely on a combustion engine but for the medium term they are a stepping stone for those who are not ready to move to full electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Interesting rationale, I disagree strongly however

Everything is mad expensive second hand, that signals to me it's a great time to offload an I.C.E

• Advertisement

It signals to me it's a terrible time to buy anything if you dont have a strict need to.

I mean all you see on any EV groups whether it's on boards, reddit, facebook or even owners in real life, all they ever shote on about is range and the charging network.

The charging network at present is absolutely jammers and not fit for purpose and not changing anytime soon, all the while getting more expensive.

The range concerns are a real thing, even the best EV's have cack range in reality and the beauty of it is any early adopters who have the money to invest in a **** range one now and make themselves content with it, will surely invest in a better range car as soon as one is readily available which will have a serious knock on effect on the value of current stuff. It's not too hard to see.

Advertisement