Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Seamus will have to finish his round by starting with a tee shot at 17 in the morning. Hopefully the wind will be kinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,813 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's got his best golf back.vy the looks of things, a real treat to win this if the late starters don't get a nice morning

A horrible 2 holes to have to come out and play first thing. Hopefully not playing as tough today as yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Phew 17th tee shot 1st of the day to within 10 feet..no issues with cut line now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,813 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ah the childish response.😁

It's taken him quite a while to get it back with such a simple problem leading to other parts of his game struggling.

Anyways all I hope is that he has a great tournament and makes it into the Masters. I'm a fan who just wants to see him succeed.

I probably have more belief that most in how much potential he has. I firmly believe he could make the top ten in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Unfortunate 3 putt at the last. Still well inside the cut line.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Main priority of making the cut has been achieved. He played those last three holes really well, he had really good birdie chances on 16 (last night) and 17 today and was putting for birdie on the 18th. He might be disappointed to have played them in one over but he seems to be playing well and no double bogeys on the first two days which is very good around there in those conditions. Hopefully he can put together another two good rounds and book his place in the Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Scrabbel

Once the distance goes past 33ft, PGA Tour stats show a 3-putt overtakes a 1-putt in likelihood. So albeit it was a slightly disappointing 3-putt, his 40-footer on the 18th wasn’t much of a birdie chance either. -2 after 2 rounds is still in great shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Any estimate at what he needs to make the masters?

• Advertisement

Not sure, a top 20 would be more than enough I'd say, top 30 might even do it. Big wgr points for this one, he's not in next week and it's the top 50 after the Valspar that makes it.

Two par or better rounds from here and he's Augusta bound.

He has been slipping down the ranking slowly. We will have a fair idea after this weekend. 47th or better should be enough. 49 or 50 not enough I'd say.

Are you sure about the Valspar being the final cut off tournament? The WGC Matchplay is two weeks before the Masters and the final item on the list of qualification criteria is as follows:

“19: 50 leaders on the Official World Golf Ranking published during the week prior to the current Masters.”

Regarding what Seamus needs to do in order to ensure he remains in the top 50 until the cut off date, a top 20 this week would go a long way towards making him safe. But a lot depends on what other players around the 50 mark do over the next few weeks, so I think a top 10 would be needed in order for him to feel that he has nailed down his Masters invitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

it's the top 50 on 28th March, after the WGC which he'll be in

My apologies, misread the dates.

It's better that it's after the Matchplay, winning a match there would almost seal it you'd imagine.

But we might as well root for a top 10 or much better tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

Very frustrating 14 holes for Seamus so far. He’s -1 for his round but had a double bogey on the 4th after finding the water with his second. He’s had a look for birdie on nearly every hole and his putts just shaved the edge. Made 3 birdies but take that double out of it and he’d be right in it. The lads in front are going to make mistakes and someone in that -5 or -6 bracket at the moment is going to put something together tomorrow - could be Lowry. We’ve seen it before where a fella gets in to the weekend by the skin of his teeth and puts together a couple of very good rounds to win it.

If Seamus could find 2 more birdies and get finished at -5 tomorrow he’ll be well rested & if he’s only 3 back you just never know what could happen. Big money and points on offer way down the field so it’s a tournament you have a free shot at if you’re within striking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

It's all gone wrong this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

A birdie finish at least. Plenty to do later today.

Hot start. 4 under for his first 7 starting on the b9

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Flying it today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Good enough finish to move up from OWGR 50th ?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Pity how 17 stalled him today, but a decent showing. Hopefully it will be enough to hold his top 50 spot

A few of those around him in the rankings missed the cut so hopefully he nudges up a couple of slots and puts a bit of distance between himself and those behind him.

I'd be thinking he is there but we will have a better idea once it's updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

I reckon a t34 should keep him in 50th or even jump a spot. I think if he were to win one of his matches in the match play it would seal it.

I think he could go very well in the match play, he has said it a load of times in interviews that he loves the format and played it all through his youth career in Ireland. We saw how he handled the playoff in the Barbasol as well, he would be worth a small bet at a likely big price. Especially with a lot of the big names struggling over the last couple of weeks you just never know. This week was definitely a step in the right direction, a couple of loose shots cost him over the four days and came at the worst time in his rounds as his doubles came when he was going well and killed his momentum.

Up to 48th

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I think Seamus will need to win at least one match (and possibly more) in the WGC Matchplay if he’s going to hold onto his top 50 spot for the Masters. But this is very much dependent on how those ranked between 48th and 60th (or further down if someone gets a top 3 finish) perform over the next two weeks.

A clearer picture should emerge after this week’s Valspar Championship. Am I right in thinking that Seamus is sitting this one out?

• Advertisement

Just having a look at this week’s scores and how they might impact on Seamus’s position in the top 50 of the OWGR. Of the players just behind him, Tringale and Bezuidenhout are not likely to score many world ranking points (if any), while Hughes and Bubba both missed the cut. But Noren and Harmon are both playing well and both of them could move past Seamus this week, pushing him down to 50th in the rankings.

On the other hand, Mickelson is falling in the rankings and will only be marginally ahead of Seamus in next week’s ranking. Unless he returns to action in the Matchplay (which might not happen even if his “suspension/self imposed absence” is lifted), he will fall behind Seamus in the following week’s rankings, even if Seamus picks up no world ranking points in the Matchplay.

Advertisement