Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v The Afterpartyers Super Saturday Matchthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭ersatz

Sextons interview was telling, the interviewer pointed out there were areas to improve and Johnny’s reaction was to laugh as if to say, ‘yeah, we were shite in lots of areas, we know all about it.’ I remember 2018 when we were executing the plan to perfection and won a grand slam. The plan was too limited though and 12 months later was past its sell by date. Now we are winning well but with obvious areas of improvement in execution. But the team are playing with a very high level of confidence with a high level versatility and dynamism. They know what the are trying to fo and in a year will be cooking it better. One of the takeaways today was that the tactics were quite different from last week, fewer loops and intricacy, more territory and short carrying inside game. That’s all very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Is there any point in talking about what that performance would or wouldn’t do against SA or NZ? We weren’t playing SA or NZ. We’d almost certainly have upped our game against them. And it’s also more than worth noting that Scotland spoil. It’s what they do. Make a mess of everything and hope for the best. We’re several months behind France in our development to the RWC and we have a small fraction of their resources. Yet we were very close to turning them over in Paris in what was their best performance of the tournament.

The other teams were all poor this year. And that suited France. They bottled it last week against a Welsh side that couldn’t take advantage. Wales do that and we win the tournament.

We haven’t played to our potential since Paris really. Yet we have won all of those games comfortably. There’s plenty of positives there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

The worries I have after this tournament are nothing to do with how we trying to play, or the fact that it hasn't quite clicked consistently.

We need better depth at 1 and 3, we still don't have a backup 10 that's anywhere close to Sexton, and we need to look at our penalty count generally - we don't want refs to see us as a poorly disciplined team coming into a world cup year.

I think this squad will learn a huge amount from the NZ tour. Get a first win down there and we'll get great momentum from it.

Our discipline hasn’t really been an issue. Italy conceded the least number of penalties (46), then France (47) and then Ireland (50). Beating in mind last week we were penalised a number of time when we shouldn’t have been and had 4 really stupid penalties that we shouldn’t really have conceded. It was an outlier from that perspective and that’s the difference between us being 3rd and either 1st or 2nd in terms of discipline.

Depth in a few positions is the big concern though all right. The problem is that there isn’t the depth there. Farrell can’t magic it out of nowhere. It’s probably a lot to ask that we have 25 or so top quality test players given our resources.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Yeah, don't disagree... Discipline hasn't been terrible, but there definitely been a few occasions it's slipped and we've figured up more than we used to. Just think it's something we need to keep an eye on so it doesn't become an issue.

The depth thing is the big one really, and we're absolutely at the mercy of who manages to come through in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭TRC10

We've won our last 3 because we've played against 3 very poor teams (one of which had 13 men, one had 14). We've been poor in every single one, it's just none of them have been good enough to punish us. If you think we're playing very well, I don't know what planet you're living on. If we carry this form into the summer, it will be a slaughter like the 2012 tour. I don't buy the argument that we're only making errors because of this new style we're bedding in. We didn't make anywhere near as many errors against NZ, Japan and Wales.

I just don't think it's as rosy in the garden as everyone's making out. Had Ewels not had a brain explosion after 80 seconds in Twickenham, it would be 3 wins from 5 again, for the third year in a row. Losing Porter and Kelleher has decimated our scrum, which has been utterly taken apart the last two games, which should be a massive concern (but I suppose Scotland we're just cheating, right). The age profile of the team going into a world cup year is not ideal, the majority of the backs being 30+, similar to 2019. Both our 9s are 30+, Sexton turns 37 in the summer, Aki is turning 32, Conway turns 31, Lowe turns 30. We missed a huge chance to give Balouocune a run yesterday, Hansen hasn't been convincing over the last couple of games and RB definitely has a far higher ceiling. I think Doris is massively overrated, and I won't buy into his hype until he stops making so many stupid errors. Carty was the form out half coming into the tournament and should have seen more than 6 minutes, yet we stick with a guy who hasn't shown any form in 3 years.

I think we're starting to see teams figure us out a bit. Our play is heavily reliant and fast ruck ball, so if you heavily attack our breakdown you can really stifle our game, and I've no doubt that's what teams will start to do. Similar to how teams figured out if you hit us with fast linespeed in 2019, we'd crumble. And we're still highly susceptible to being physically bullied, as we saw v England and France.

That's not to say there hasn't been positives. Keenan established himself as one of the top fullbacks in the world (and in Lowry we have 2 very good options there). VDF established himself as one of the top 7s. We're trying to play a great brand of rugby. Ringrose is back to form (even though I think a fully fit Henshaw is a better 13).

I just don't think we're near as good as we think we are, and could be in for a very rude awakening in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Any chance of stockdale putting his boots on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Have you watched England play? they could of had 18 on the field v Ireland & France and would still be looking for the try line. They have no game plan, Marcus Smith looks a shadow of himself because of the game plan and they only scored a try against France because they moved away from the game plan and passed the ball.

Wales who are terrible, should have beaten England in twickers as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The problem here is that the response to "we're playing well" is always "OH SO EVERYTHING IS PERFECT AND WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE WORLD CUP ARE WE?!"

We have plenty to work on and plenty of gaps in the depth chart. No one is unaware of this and I'm guessing it's why the IRFU are doing a five game tour to NZ for the first time in at least 20 years. I would expect 40-odd players to go and I don't expect anyone to be given the summer off (ie yes, Sexton, Murray, POM and Healy will go).

Isn't this exactly what we "should" be doing?

It's a pity people can't enjoy the good days when they come. Yesterday was a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The WC will look after itself.

I would prefer to concentrate on winning a 6 nations next year. We need a back up 10 for the 6 nations, never mind the WC. Sexton cannot play 5 matchs one after another, he couldn't this season and he can't last season. Carbery is not the answer. The France & Italy game confirmed that for me. He is still a class player but not a 10.

We have France at home next season. England as well. Scotland and Wales could have new coachs and totally focused on the WC. That should be the aim

Win that and then look at what we need for a WC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

Ireland want to make a semi final, standing in their way is France or New Zealand

let’s deal with the simple but harsh facts

at props, lock, 6 and 10 we have serious problems that Farrell must fix fast.

sexton is too old, carbery not trusted by management, Beal ham, kilcoyne and Healy not up to the required standard, at 6 Doris has to start 8 as it’s the position he can best influence a game and Pom is finished at this level, Beirne to 6 need to happen and we need to find 2 locks to step up.

Farrell needs to go to New Zealand and he has to try over the whole series to find depth at those positions

if he tries and fails than fair enough he tried. But If he just selects the same good old boys he is sleepwalking Ireland into another disastrous World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭TRC10

at props, lock, 6 and 10 we have serious problems that Farrell must fix fast.

The problem is, Farrell can't magic players out of thin air. He can only work with the players he has.

If players aren't putting their hands up with performances for their provinces, there's fcuk all Farrell can do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Our scrum wasn't "utterly taken apart" yesterday so that is clearly not true.

We were taken apart in Twickenham yes but the referees report comes out after the game to say that a good few of those scrum penalties shouldn't have been given.

I don’t believe that there are no players coming through , the provinces need to be told to fast track and that making the semi over rides what the provinces want

also Quinn roux should have never been let go.

also Quinn roux should have never been let go.

I keep seeing this. If Quinn Roux was still here he'd be exactly what he always was, squad depth.

And that is what is needed. We lack any depth at lock and 6

• Registered Users Posts: 67,148 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Never knew there were 'reports' issued that would be critical of a referee. Are refs ever sanctioned in rugby for getting things wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Absolutely. Basically Jonathan Kaplan's entire career.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Fair enough, but getting into a bidding war with Toulon for a journeyman who turns 33 during the RWC was never going to happen

• Advertisement

Why are so many of you’re posts so depressingly negative?

We actually played well against England. I suggest you watch it back if you haven’t already. We forced a few passes and got unfairly pinged at scrum time a few times that ultimately led to the scoreboard flattering England. We compounded that with a few silly penalties ourselves. But ultimately England weren’t ever going to score more than 15. If anything they were lucky to get that many points on the board. We were good value for at least a couple of more tries had we maybe not forced a few of those passes. On another day the exact same performances could very easily have led to a 9-50 type score line.

Just look at the stats from the game. The metres made, the line breaks etc etc. You seem happy to just see the bad in performances like that and not the good. And your assertion that had England kept XV on the park that we would have lost is a bizarre one. They got the rub of a few decisions from the ref arguably because they lost a man. Losing a man galvanises a side too in ways that wouldn’t have happened if they stayed at XV. Outside of our game they created all of 2 tries against opponents that were not Italy. We created more tries in Paris than that! They lost to Scotland and barely edged passed Wales. Maybe they might have beaten us, but it’s far from a sure thing. Yet you state it as though it were a given because it helps your negative view of things.

We we’re far from perfect yet we won all of the 4 games we won comfortably. And we had a real shot at beating France too. In November we probably got lucky that teams weren't able to analyse us properly because we hadn’t been playing that style much prior to the series. This Championship was probably about us learning to adapt to teams looking to disrupt us. And there will be plenty to learn from it. We’ve gotten that experience while also coming very close to winning a Championship. That’s a good thing.

We aren’t the finished article yet, but we’re going in the right direction. We’re seeing others calling plays even when Sexton is on the pitch so we are reducing our reliance on him more and more. Sadly there are depth issues that we can do little about in a few positions, including 10. But overall we’re going fine. You’d swear things were going really badly the way you’re going on.

Name the depth

if Ireland are missing any of furlong, Porter, Henderson , James ryan and beirne we are as good as goosed at the World Cup

that’s how little depth we have

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Any team would be goosed missing their best players like that. Stupid argument. Show me a team that's stacked so deeply with world class players.

France and New Zealand who the quarter final will be against.

the drop off in certain positions is so alarming only the most naive and gullible refuse to see it

there is a possible fix, experimentation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Backrow carried for ~100m off a combined 26 carries.

Conan had 50m off just 10 carries.

We have an issue with depth at 1, 3 and 10. I don’t think we have much of an issue at lock. We have Ryan, Henderson and Beirne with Baird and Kleyn behind them. It will be interesting to see how Aherne and McCarthy go next season as if they can push on they can add to that depth. It’s not an area I’m hugely concerned about.

Prop and out half are areas to be concerned about. But sadly that is what it is at this stage. We have young lads coming through especially at LH but they’re a year or two too late.

We do need to remember that we’re a small country with a smaller playing population that most big teams too though. Depth is harder to build with less players. And we have made some inroads in a few areas too lest we forget. Hooker was a problem position 3 years ago. Now we have Kelleher, Sheehan and Herring. That’s very good depth there. Back 3 was a concern for a while too. Now we have Lowe, Conway, Hansen, Keenan, Lowry, Balacoune and Larmour. We’re starting to get well covered at centre with Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose and Hume along with Farrell and McCloskey behind them.

There are areas of concern, but a lot of teams have that as well tbh, not just us. We don’t have the resources of the likes of England, France, South Africa or even New Zealand. But if we continue on the trajectory we’re on at the moment we won’t be far behind them. And in the case of England we might be well ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Experiment with who? Who are the players putting their hands up for selection in these positions? Or are you floating this false premise that if you give people gametime at international. They will suddenly become better players than they are for their clubs?

Add yesterday's balls up and it's a pretty bad look for Stuart

The first one was great from Heaslip. The issue there wasn’t Hogg finish, it was his reaction after to the ref. Daft from him as he’d have known he didn’t score it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I reckon the tour in NZ is a good opportunity. If we blood a couple of lads there, they can blossom. NZ is a fantastic proving ground.

Depth issues are always going to be problematic. But, it's similar for most of the teams. Look at Scotland! They have good players and then there is very little. It's telling that their u20's are so poor.

England should really have the most depth! But, the reality is their players are not as well coached as ours, my opinion. There appears to be a serious lack of continuity between the RFU and the premiership. Furbank is not a top class player. He'd struggle to start on any of the provinces, except maybe Connacht. Youngs and Randall are inferior to a lot of our 9's.

Going into NZ, I would be hoping Farrell gets gametime for our fringe lads. With maybe a couple of new caps. I'd like to see Balacoune and Hume start. Lowry should get the nod in one test. Loughman is someone I don't know a lot about. But, I think he could be worth bringing, if he's a good scrummager.

Bolters for NZ. JOB, Niall Murray, Osborne and Doak!

Advertisement