Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v The Afterpartyers Super Saturday Matchthread

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Yeah that one incident really put me off him.

What do ye think Sexton said to him afterwards exactly? At about 0:26 in this clip.

I'd say "why didn't you pass the ball you greedy prick?"

Edit: no whatever it was it was less words than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭TRC10

Go on then, who are the young props and out halves putting in Ireland worthy performance for their provinces?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Any one of them? Don't be soft.

If we were missing all of them, then I'd be concerned.

The Second and Back rows in particular are replaceable by at least 10 high quality players across all the provinces that would play excellently with Ireland given even a short lead time. Leavy, Connors, Deegan, Reidy, Coombes, Timoney, Treadwell, Baird, O'Donoghue, Ahern, Prendergast, Molony, Penny, Dunne. Oh look that's 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Hogg held onto the ball and the Irish players tried to get it back, I would say it was about it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Whatever it was it was, it wasn't necessary.

But, analytically, Hogg has been guilty of an absolutely woeful level of personal errors and judgement the last two years. In a deeper team, he wouldn't have such a leading roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

After watching this 3 times, I don't feel that we played that well. Our scrum was dodgy and the handling errors are building up. This championship was fairly gash. We played well in a couple of matches and were average at best in the others.

The biggest winners from this imo, are VDF, JGP and Sheehan.

Hansen was very good too, as was Keenan.

The big loser in this is Carberry. He didn't see a minute at oh yesterday. I think he's under the kosh.

On in all, I don't think we've set the world alight. Progress has been made and the same weaknesses are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Concerns at back up prop. I think at second row Beirne is now nailed on and it's between Ryan and Henderson. Or you stick Beirne at 6. Baird didn't enhance his prospects a whole lot this tournament.

VdF is the only nailed on in the backrow, what a player. Doris had a poor enough tournament compared to last year, I'm not sold on him. I'm surprised Conan got subbed over him the other day. Again, Beirne at six or next cab off the rank to give them a go and develop the shirt further. One of Coombes/Timoney/Prendergast/Penney needs game time in the backrow. I don't know who our backup 7 is... POM? I don't know if we have a backrow to compete with France/South Africa/NZ to be honest.

JGP had a good tournament overall, Murray closed out games very well. Casey got a run, good job at 9 in the tournament and Doak is knocking heavily on the door also.

We're not any wiser as to who is next after Sexton. I'd love to see Ben Healy get a go at it (obviously as a Munster fan I'd be biased but I genuinely think he has potential). Baffling to think we are where we are now at 10. I really hope Farrell takes a few punts down in NZ.

Centres will be two of the three, I don't really care which two, they're all a much of muchness. My preference is Aki and Henshaw but I don't really care what combo we end up with.

After a slight dip in form Keenan is nailed on again at 15. Need to develop a backup, be it Carberry, Lowry or even Haley/JOB. I'd back Lowry myself, he's very exciting and can't be any worse at tackling than Rob Kearney was!

Wingers are still to be decided, Conway is the front runner you'd think, he hardly put a foot wrong. Hansen and Lowe did well but neither nailed on, I've still concerns over both their defences, Lowe in particular who wasn't tested this tournament defensively. I think there's a wing slot still up for grabs with Balacoune an obvious contender. I don't know if Farrell considers Earls done or not, he never got a run, time will tell. I get the feeling he may be unless he tears it up for the rest of the season with Munster, which would be the end of an era, our best ever finisher along with BOD.

As a tournament I don't think it was the highest quality opposition-wise... England and Wales are a mess. Scotland are Scotland and Italy are Italy. We'll have a much better idea of where we're at after NZ I feel. Very excited for the tour, I do think we are building nicely but I wouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭durthacht

Connors was in the squad before his latest injury and when he recovers he will be an option at 7 again.

If Carbery can stay fit and be regularly good for Munster for the next two months, including possible semis and finals, then he could re-establish himself as a good option at 10 for the national team.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Wasn't that impressed by Beirne at second row at all tbh. He's just lacking in power there. Our best combination at lock is still Ryan and Henderson. Just need to get them fit at the same time.

Doris, I think had a storming tournament. He can certainly look.to cut out handling errors, but that's an issue that seems to plague the entire side. Currently operating at a world class level. There isn't a 6 in world rugby that I'd choose ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

On Carbery, I think this is very unlikely at this stage.

And as an aside, his cause is not going to be helped with munster's form being mediocre at best this season either. Not his fault, but were he currently in the Leinster set up I'd have some hope for his development, not at munster.

For clarity, I'm a munster fan. But there's very little momentum in the province at the moment any which way you look at it.

I.e. there's no rising tide happening in Limerick that's gonna lift all boats.

On top of that our likelihood of making semi finals or finals this year is low enough, so even less game time for Carbery.

I only hope Healy can continue to progress through the murk!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Doris, POM, Beirne, Coombes, Prendergast, Marcus Rea, Leavy.

I'd say we're grand at 6 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I agree, I think Beirne had a decent tournament but I would prefer to see him into 6, move Doris to 8. Use Ryan and Hendo in second row.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

We are discussing depth in regards getting to a semi final at the World Cup

Doris needs to be 8 and ideally beirne at 6

pom is finished , leavy is not the same player after the injury

the other bucks you name have never played for Ireland in any even half serious game

the Irish squad lacks depth at lots of positions , 1, 3, lock, 6 , 10 and at centre we need a player who can free the back 3

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

1,3, 10 no doubt (3 exacerbated by a top class TH moving to LH). It's hard to say at lock. Form, injury, concussion, fatigue, young players not quite ready... a lot could change between now and September 2023.

We're well stocked at centre. As well as any country in the world at the moment IMO and a nice mix of passers, steppers, and crashers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I know most people didn't watch munster v bennetton last night but Gavin Coombes was incredible. He turns the scrum into a massive weapon peeling off the back he's guaranteed to break the gaining and commit 3 tacklers to bring him down

Advertisement