Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to Advertising on the site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,055 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The boards management need money to keep the site going, I find that quite ironic since it's their incompetence that's driving posters away.

Would it be end of the world if "boards.ie" went to different owners that actually cared about their Community?

I for one wouldn't spent a cent on this incarnation of Boards.ie with management don't give a **** about the website or Community, why should I?

I loved the old Boards.ie, it was a such an easy site to navigate and Community spirit was easy to see and at times I was a subscriber and didn't block ads but never again...

I take no pleasure in the above, far from it but it's gone to the stage that I just don't care anymore

Post edited by Headshot on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

A user has put together an add-on pack of sorts that includes dark mode IIRC. Below is a link to the thread FYI. Also, we know about the broken links. It’s on the list of things to fix. BTW, @28064212 I have now made this a ‘sticky’ as it is quite popular. You should see it among the other sticky discussions at the top of the Feedback forum.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058208910/boardsie-enhancement-suite-browser-extension/

Unfortunately though that still doesn't fix the lack of dark mode on mobile devices as you can't install extensions in chrome on Android this site still needs native support for dark mode without any extensions.

Plus how many people have the knowledge and will to install browser add-ons versus simply clicking an option on the site.

It's nice a user went to the effort but it's still not a viable option.

Dark Reader on Firefox works great on mobile. Pretty sure Safari has a dark mode extension as well.

• Advertisement

😳

Holy.......

Going to try this out for a few days but after 10 mins of use I think I'm going to be dropping chrome unless some deal breaker crops up.

Thank you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Type chrome://flags in the address bar, then search for 'dark' enable both & that'll do it for you. The second option will allow you to toggle it on/off quicker in settings.

Thanks for the tip for Chrome. It does work great, although I'm still going to be stubborn and insist the site needs a dedicated dark mode as it could be customised to look better than the one used by either dark reader or inbuilt to Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭Tork

Yes, thanks for the tip. Boards is much easier on the eyes now. I doubt we'll ever see a dark mode in boards. It was never deemed to be important by the powers that be, who instead decided to inflict crap like that auto save draft on us. They've never shown any interest in what the users want, nor valued the talented people who use the site and might have been willing to help. They're paying the price for it now - I can see boards slowly dying before my eyes. Any money that might come on from these ads will go towards keeping boards alive, not improving it. I don't think they ever replaced the late Mark, did they? That's ominous if they haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

You need to do something with the soccer forum. The threads don't appear on the home page, latest or trending etc. Can't view it when not a member of the group or at all if not logged in & in the group.

Must have been one of the most popular forums before change over, a lot of ad revenue passed up there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I just found night mode in Opera. Woop!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

That's sound. It's a free site and ye're here to make money. Like free apps or podcasts with ads to cover costs. But I wouldn't be here very often so wouldn't pay for an ad-free version of Boards as some proposed. If you also had an ad free pay version maybe you could incentivise members by offering discounts from some of the Boards advertisers or other organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

Not sure at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Actually one suggestion for raising funds would be to offer an escrow service for adverts.

Just been trying to do a deal but it seemed very sketchy so I backed out.

if boards had an escrow service where I could sent the money for the item (several hundred euro), receive the goods and inspect them then approve the transaction so the seller gets paid, I’d happily spend a percentage of the cost or a fixed cost of say €10 for that.

seller is guaranteed he’s going to get paid, buyer is guaranteed they’re not going to get ripped off.

that’s worth money to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

Every single ad I see here is for gambling sites, predominantly that 888 one. I don't gamble, have never placed a bet in my life, have absolutely no interest, yet every ad is gambling. Grotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Once again a thread goes silent, feedback is ignored, and it's not fair to Niamh to keep sending her out to announce/defend this stuff when it seems clear the current owners haven't a clue in how to revitalise or rescue the site (even repairing it seems beyond them).

You can't just occasionally turn up with a thread announcing significant changes and then disappear when the feedback doesn't suit you but that's half the problem too. No understanding of the site, its users, or why people (those who are left) still come here. This of course is reflected in how the site is run day-to-day which is another long-standing issue.

At this stage they might as well just put the domain name on the market now TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

But this wasn't a thread asking for feedback. It was advising us about something they needed to do, are doing, and why they are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Inviere

If Boards needs anything right now (apart from cash flow), it's user/community feedback.

@_Kaiser_ is spot on with what's been said. It's inexcusable at this point.

Secondly @DoctorEdgeWild, this is from the Welcome to the Announcements Forum thread...

"Your comments and feedback are welcome."

Post edited by Inviere on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

And those comments/feedback have been allowed to stand. Nothing deleted or locked. Are you looking for boards to reply to everything? Because that's not realistic.

To be totally clear, boards are criticised when they DON'T communicate their plans/changes. And boards are criticised when they DO communicate their plans/changes. You can see the problem there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Everyone is an expert 🥸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Inviere

Well your post suggested that feedback on this issue was unsolicited, which is incorrect as per the info shown in my reply. Not sure where the censorship angle is coming from? In such an important site has haemorrhaged so many people and traffic over the last 12 months, its sort of a good idea to listen to the core community who have remained, engage with them, agreed or disagree, but at least engage in a meaningful manner. Why leave feedback threads open to become tumbleweed central?

Who are you referring to when you say "boards"? I feel the Niamh and the front line admin/mod volunteers have gone above and beyond over the last year, since the "upgrade" went ahead. The site has been nothing short of shambolic for those tasked with its day to day upkeep (and users aside). There's only so much feedback Niamh and Co can act on and respond to. Management on the other hand, well, that's a whole other story. Not a good one either.

The criticism here isn't for anything other than radio silence on larger issues. Users don't have to like the changes, but from a community development perspective, the absolute worst thing to do is to ignore significant observations and hope they go away.

Anyway, I've said my piece, so peace out ✌️👍

If everyone who used boards in February 2022 were to pay an amount of money in order for boards to break even how much would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Jesus wept, they can't even work out how much money was donated through their latest modhranic venture, so that query is most likely beyond them.

• I paid €2.99 to get Noir extension in Safari for my iPhone. Works fine as Dark Mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

NVM, post I was replying to got deleted.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Tbh I would pay 100 euros right now if I could click on a thread and didn't have to scroll for two minutes to find where I think I might have left off. I know. Sci-fi stuff, but let me dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

This! Some of the mega threads you'd never finish in a sitting and I used to leave them open in a browser tab to come back and forward. Now when you go back in it reloads and skips forward a page or two so I mostly don't bother with big threads now

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement