Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to Advertising on the site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Dunno if you've changed ad styles in the last few days but I am finding it difficult to scroll past ads now. Getting stuck on an ad I have no interest in, while scrolling a site I am already irritated by, strikes me as bad business but what would I know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I am getting almost daily cookie consent pop ups and have not deleted cookies or site settings. Other sites are not doing this and those that do, are generally trying to monetise site visitors by making them the product.

I don't understand why my opt out from the previous opt out is not valid, session to session. You have clearly put a very short expiry on opt out cookies. I will be up front here and say I have opted out of all cookies and declined Legitimate Interest. If I opted in to all processing, I am pretty certiain I would not be asked to reconsider my explicit choice (why would you risk a reconsider when you have then answer or outcome you want), so why is this happening when you explicitidely choose to opt out?

A choice, freely given, is a valid choice under GDPR and e-privacy.

It should be easier and more seamless than this. I don't mind site ads (though some are bizarre), I just don't want to interest based ones and don't want my privacy choices to to questioned or over written every 24 to 48 hours.

You should and can do this better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I clicked accept and can confirm it also keeps popping up for me on a regular basis

Thank you. I stand corrected. It is odd that the Consent Page is popping up this frequently. At least it is easy to opt out, some platforms are so cumbersome.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Can those affected please post the following information to help us identify what could be causing the problem. Before trying these steps below, in case you haven’t done so already, please make sure you clear your browser’s cache, history and cookies. Make sure you are using the latest version of your browser, and try more than one browser, again, just for diagnostics.

To help us further, please give as much as possible from this list:

• Your device make and model
    • Operating system
    • Name of browser you are using, or if it’s happening on several browsers, which ones?
    • Do you have any browser add-ons or ad-blockers, and if so, which ones?
    • When you first see the Privacy screen, do you click on “Customise choices” or do you click on “Accept all & visit the site”?
    • If you click on “Customise choices” you are brought to a Vendor Consent page. Do you customise any choices? If so, which ones, and can you try disabling these to see if it helps? Buried away up in the top right hand corner of the pop-up is “Legitimate Interest” link, that, if clicked, brings you to a Vendor Legitmate Interest page. Can you remove the tick from the box that says “OBJECT TO ALL INCLUDED LEGITIMATE INTEREST PURPOSES” or if there is no tick in that box, try placing a tick in there and see what happens.
    • Any time you make a change to your browser settings, it’s a good idea to close all open browser windows and start it again.
    • If any of the suggestions above resolves the problem, please let us know which ones?
    • Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I have to say it's one of the few problems I haven't had with the "New" Boards.

However, there are many other issues on the other bugs/problems threads which haven't even been acknowledged by @Boards.ie: Odhran or @Boards.ie: Niamh

It would be great if could help out again.

TIA👍

Mod: Removed tagged user accidentally included and tagged Niamh instead. -Shield.

Post edited by Shield on

I used to have the problem if I had Blokada enabled. Like months ago. I guess it was blocking the request to boards.ie with my choice and then I wasn't getting the cookie.

Once I disabled Blokada, my cookie acceptance thing worked and I stopped getting the popup.

Maybe it's a similar problem now.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

All for ads for revenue, it costs to keep a website live. Hosting, development, admins etc. But if you are to go more invasive with the adverts will you please start allowing people recommend services in their posts once they dont work for the company.

The one thing I used boards for was to find others in ireland who found say, a good tradesman. Or service at a fair price. Or when hunting for just for example car insurance or a cheaper deal on broadband.

Nowadays you cant even mention companys name for fear of being against the rules. It was one of the things this website was best for in the past and its a huge loss

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

@Kaisr Sose is the issue wth the cookies pop up that it happens every time you log in/visit the site/go to a new page? Is it happening when you're still logged in for example or only before you log in.

• Advertisement

This varies by forum and by circumstance, there is no blanket ban on recommendations but there has to be a healthy skepticism around users who drop into a thread to recommend a company and then leave again. It's why new users are not allowed to post any reviews of companies, good or bad as it is impossible to know of they are genuine or a shill or a competitor of a company they are badmouthing.

You can find more about cheap broadband deals or car insurance in the relevant forums, including the names of the providers.

@Boards.ie: Niamh

I always log out so it happens on opening logged out. Once you save preferences it does not pop up on opening another thread etc. It does not happen every day, sometimes consequitive days.

I dont clear cookies, cache etc

I am on Huawei P20, fully up to date OS, not running adblock software on Chrome, access via Chrome.

Haven’t noticed any trend.

just pops up every so often.

and as I’m typing this on mobile the page is jumping around the place and out of the comment box and I have to scroll back down…… this happens ALL the time and is making boards unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Thanks for the info. My suggestion would be to go the way of Elon/New twitter. Just allow it regardless. Allow people to make their own decision on if a recommendation is real or not. If the same account is constantly advertising something then its obvious to ban. This used to be the best place to find a good recommendation for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

This is also happening to me on the attached ad.

I can't scroll the page just jams and I've to crash out.

Happens on the adverts.ie site so badly I can't use it anymore.

I'm on a Mac Monteray V12.01 using safari 15.1

I stay logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

The last part here too, in readable on an iPhone

I reported that issue with the ads yesterday, thanks guys.

Happened again yesterday . I just went to boards.ie and it popped.

I will say this though, I’ve noticed being asked about cookies an awful lot lately and I’m fairly sure multiple times on same sites. Maybe a settings or an iPhone thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

I get the boards.ie cookies dialog twice a week at least.

I have this pop up agaín today. I have cleared my cache. Is there anyway to avoid frequent cookie consent pop ups on Boards. They are more invasive than ads for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is it possible that we could get boards to load consistently on mobile? I use chrome on android and the screen bounces up and down as it loads in the ads, bloody annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

It’s even more annoying when you are trying to type a comment and it just keeps disappearing…… 3 times in this one so far :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Inviere

That's one of my biggest issues so far using mobile, after a few words you can no longer see what you've written. It's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

The bouncing. The bouncing around is terrible!

I think, on my side anyway, it’s due to the ads. I counted (was bored), and it was every 15 seconds that, whilst reading a thread, I was bounced back to the last reply that I had read before opening the thread again.

Remember when bouncing was fun!?!

ios 15.4 and no adblocker, but, my God I was tempted.

Thanks for the reports everyone and for those details YellowFeather, I will pass these on. As mentioned above, it is a known issue that is being investigated but every bit of extra detail helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VBOF1q7

Can you tell me how much it cost? I'm seeing now today are for an online cake builder & an outdoor store. I'm not going to click on either of these because I have no interest in them. Basing ads on keywords in a thread will deliver much more clicks compared to random ads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭Tow

On the desktop site, I have found the top banner adverts to be from sites/items of interest, but the right-hand adverts are totally random. Yesterday I had an advert for menopause tables.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭electricus

I mostly browse boards on an iPhone and had to enable ad blocking to make the site usable. Aside from UI issues, the ads were irrelevant and annoying.

Please consider fully testing new features before inflicting them on your wider user base. The fact that that these changes are still causing unexpected issues make me wonder about security implications for users.

• Advertisement

The people who run Boards don't seem to have heard of the concept of Beta testing software before releasing it to the end users, maybe one day they might consider it

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement