Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to Advertising on the site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,100 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We are the beta testers. Wish I was joking but I'm not.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

They still haven't fixed the time. This a relatively simple thing to adjust in Vanilla and I can only surmise that fixing the time has broken something on the dev environment if they haven't fixed it yet. Though I guess it will sort it self out next daylight savings so why commit resources to it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it already but the scrolling ad that appears near the bottom of the page is far more intrusive than any of the others. When I read down through a page, my finger catches the ad and I end up having to scroll through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭JayRoc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

As if it was hard to miss in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Based on Tork's screenshot 😬

Is it any wonder people block ads? I don't use Boards on mobile but that screenshot is shocking.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hodors Applecart

Yet another shocking implementation of something by the jokers who run this dying platform.

boards practically impossible to read on mobile due to the ads jumping the text every few moments.

hinestly guys just kill the site. It’s a sad and pale shadow of its former self.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm not mad about the double gambling ads either... This is on a browser with no cookies stored (other than from me signing in), so this is default behaviour. I get you need to make money, but gambling is a poison on so much of society...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Ahh yea, the gambling adverts are a strange one. nothing against gambling sensibly, but I don’t gamble and I have never knowingly visited a gambling website in my life but all the adverts I am seeing on here are gambling adverts.

Leo vegas or some similar muck.

Not cool.

• Advertisement

What they should do and I really hope they do is just hand the site over to the community, who would make a much better job of it tbh. Certainly couldn't do any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Ad blocker check

Site is particularly bouncy today, threads and my bookmarks can't decide where I should be viewing and jump up and down like mad.

Irritating isn't the word...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Same ad keeps popping up. Even though I flag as not interested. Annoying. One thing to try and something its just bad business to keep showing the same ad when its been highlighted as not interesting for the viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

AdGuard if on Android. Blocks everything. I never see ads. Get it from their site rather than the Store

I wouldn't have as much of an issue if the ads were less disruptive but it seems that the focus from the owners is to increase their ad revenue rather than fix the product (the site), so.... and yes I know the argument of 'no revenue, no site' but that - like everything else it seems - should have been considered BEFORE they threw the switch on the 'upgrade'!

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Our regulars are pissed off with the way ads are interfering with their user experience. Have a look on farming and forestry chit chat thread. Is there anything that can be done to improve this?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hodors Applecart

No. The losers in The Pear Tree house are fiddling while Rome burns. They have destroyed this platform since the absolute joke of an “upgrade”. The entire site is a barely useable mess.

It's become apparent to me. More so recently that boards has a demographic problem. The site appears to be populated by people who are predominantly middle-aged and there seems to be a very obvious right wing bias in discussions, especially when it comes to those on social welfare or for example those renting or in council housing.

Reddit for all this flaws does tend to trend with a younger audience. So although you do get some right-wing views, especially in the Ireland subreddit it's not nearly as pronounced as here.

And I guess the poor layout doesn't really help either. Sadly, I feel by this stage boards is beyond saving in its current format.

If the board represents its users, why is that a problem?

But as usual, this is posters not being able to actually guage what's happening on the site. I've seen people ranting about right-wing posts saying X, Y, and Z, and when I went through the first 160 posts in the thread mentioned, only two were right-wing.

Those threads are dominated by a couple of posters on one side arguing against the masses on the other. Because you are stuck reading pages of the same argument over and over, you're left with the incorrect impression that the whole site is right-wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

Sorry had to download adblocker today. The adverts on the bottom of the page on desktop was so big that when I went to my bookmarks I could only see 1. I know you want revenue but there is a time that doing this sort of thing is actually counter productive

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Could you re-enable just to send me a screenshot of that please @jem ? Just so we can see if there is anything out of place or that needs to be moved or resized. I'd really apprecaite it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Any chance you can take a look at the bouncing while you are at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Inviere

Any time I pasted text into a new discussion post today, the page zipped hack to the top. Incredibly annoying.

Lads, the advert to content ratio is getting ridiculous now...

Oh that size ad should not be coming up on mobile @dulpit - can you let me know what browser and OS you are using ( not sure if it will be relevant but I will be passing this on) thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Chrome on android 13 beta here.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

Getting the same size ads here, Chrome Android 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Chrome on android

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement