Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discovery 4x13 - 'Coming Home' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 17-03-2022 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Discovery 4x13 - 'Coming Home' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the episode. Spoiler tags will not be used, so if you don't want to be spoiled read no further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I said it in an earlier thread, but this entire season could have happened in a couple of episodes and worked for me. Soace stations warp now, fine. They're all actually giant lifeboats, fine. No consequences whatsoever for anyone, fine. The entire season was a complete disappointment for me, even by Discovery's standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Season Finale Episode! Oh I did enjoy that!

I'm not sure who the dedication was for at the end. April isn't the easiest name to google.

April Nocifora is listed as a Producer for many of the episodes: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0744130/

It was cool to see the Ten'C. Cool to see such a new vision of life like that. It feels like their position in respect of our Galaxy is left in a grey area. I'd think a good idea would be for them to come inside the Milky Way if possible.. but maybe they want to still hang outside.

Really liked the Planetary Shields of Earth and the Mitchell coming to save the shuttle craft.

Oh! and when it dawned on me that I was watching The Federation HQ actually moving at warp speed .. I was like WOAAAAH! .. and then like.. yeah of course! 🙂

The personal story were done well and some big feels towards the end but the moment I thought they built best throughout the season long was the lead up to Book talking to the Ten'C and their response. It all just made sense.

Alright, that's a wrap. Checking the wiki for what's next and it looks like it'll be 2023:

A 10-episode fifth season was ordered in January 2022 and is expected to be released in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

A desperate End to a poorly written and conceived Season - predictable

• So one of the most ADVANCED SPECIES EVER SEEN IN TREK, was TOTALLY unaware that WARP CAPABLE ARTIFICIAL VESSELS, were a sign of 'Higher life' -LUDICROUS BEYOND BELIEF (draw parallels with the Cetacean probe if you will - not the same at all)
    • They're Sorry - awe - heartwarming - (OOPS SORRY WE UTTERLY DESTROYED A COUPLE OF BILLION LIVES THERE - Our bad - yea we will sort something out. all good? Oh and heres a wormhole so - kindly GTF outta here... )
    • More 'emotional dribble' about a bunch of people that FEW IF ANY, care about
    • Michael - the legend - the one and only person in the universe, strikes again and saves the day - Bless - What would we do without her? You realize that the Federation only fell apart BECAUSE she was not present? And you know what this means?
    • Michael Burnham IS .... CHUCK NORRIS

Its desperate IMHO - makes last season look good (which is a tall order). It dragged out for 13 episodes of nonsense, with tiny plot points, a couple of hours of absolute filler, and all the intrigue of Root Canal work.

COMPARE THIS - TO PICARD??? No comparison -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

The one slightly positive part is that they with the ending they could have wrapped up the entire series and call it a day. But they're not, so more of the same next year.

I can only speak for myself but im angry that its even part of the franchise at this stage. Stakes very high in this season of Picard, yet in a few hundred years BURNHAM arrives - ugh

I PRAY we do not see a cross over - im an atheist but i will PRAY we dont.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement

I had a nightmare last night that the new Borg queen would be revealed to be Burnham...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well that was utterly disappointing, the end was particularly vomit inducing

An highly advanced species can't stop a small little space ship but a shuttlecraft can manage to crash into it - do the writers ever read over what they have written?

Off now to watch Picard and try and remove all memories of this season of Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So the punishment for what was basically treason is community service?

And the General even gets to keep her rank.

"Okay, all the bridge crew beam down so we have loads of reaction shots when the Ten-C are communicating. Hmm, do you think we should ask what their species name is?"

So last week they were communicating through math, earlier this episode they mentioned not being able to communicate something as being too complex yet by the end they were able to have a full conversation?

The bridge crew thing was particularly egregious. I just kept thinking, who the hell was left on the ship? Some junior ensign left in command? Though presumably there are no ensigns anymore since everyone is a commander. And yeah, the only part of the previous episode that was of interest was the problem with communication. Now it's no bother. Lets communicate Ulysses through lights. It wouldn't be an issue if they hadn't spent the entire previous episode talking about how incredibly difficult it was.

Lazy, lazy writing. Just god awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭eadrom

Just not very good.

Not the worst season though to be honest. It did show some promise at times but really struggled under the weight of past mistakes and, I think, sub-par writing and performances.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I thought it was okay. There were some good moments, with the scenes of getting through to the 10cs being reminiscenct of The Motion Picture and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. And I was even briefly impressed when they offed Booker so coldly in front in Burnham like that. Sadly they lacked the spine to see it out completely. But the season only had about 3 episodes worth of actual material, stretched to 13 episodes, like butter scraped over too much bread, so it doesn't make up such a bland season.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sure Burnham would never get assimilated, but would somehow free everyone who had been assimilated.

And she would likely do that by injecting emotions into the collective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Wow, I hate the characters and the forced sickly sweetness of the whole thing. It's so bloody bad. I rarely stop watching Star Trek, but honestly this just isn't worth watching anymore, and probably never was.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

How the fudge did this get another season? It was complete trash from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,757 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ugh.

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What amazes me is that even with the third episode of Picard being the weakest of the 3 so far this season (whilst still being a great watch) it was still miles ahead of any episode of Disco this season

Well not long to go to start watching Strange New Worlds - so I think we have to be grateful to Disco for giving us that (and the fans demanding it) and hope to god it is a real Trek series and nothing like this 21st century all inclusive/#metoo/feelings matter/everyone has a place/and every other social media tag line that is prevalent in this piece of junk of Disco

Amazing that after 4 seasons I still don't know most of the characters names beyond 3 or 4 of them (since they get no more than a few minutes in the spotlight most of the time, but remember Lorca from S1) and really couldn't care less about any of them and yet after one season of any other Trek series I would have remembered pretty much all the main cast character names

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I've never watched such puke inducing garbage in all my life.

What an insult to Star Trek fans this incarceration of Star Trek is.

"For April, With Love"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,757 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Can't say I have any problem at all with a dedication to someone who has died.

The show was otherwise rubbish.

Also, only just realised Earth's president was Stacey Abrams (famous US politician - the person responsible for winning the dems the all important senate races in Georgia). Makes sense, it totally felt like an over-egged moment, and I couldn't quite understand why until I found that out.

@~Rebel~ | Stacey Abrams (famous US politician - the person responsible for winning the dems the all important senate races in Georgia)

Yeah, I had no idea she was anybody until I read about it afterwards.

Maybe it's more benign than it seems but really doesn't sit right that they'd make a current real-world, and I assume polarising, political statement like that. Like who do they think they are?

But of course they probably think they're Star Trek Discovery, the show with the duty to tell us (not show us, mind) how we should feel about everything.

Not a good look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It’s Just such crap. Again everyone is being told to play every important scene like they are about to burst out in tears of joy or sorrow. The ending felt like a series finale but unfortunately i found out it’s getting another season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

People love trash. Have you seen some of the shte that's popular on TV.

I bet James Corden fans love Discovery.

Ya not sure Trek should be promoting living individuals like that. I have a lot of respect for what she done but what's to say she wont turn out to do something really evil in the future.

Also sets a bad precedent because what if it's someone I don't like next time. Or it becomes like the Simpsons who can't stop sticking in famous people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

if I let go of a hammer on a planet that has a positive gravity, I need not see it fall to know that it has in fact fallen

Political agends in your entertainment hiding in plain sight. Why do people watch this vomit! Thankfully not many people do. Re-runs of bargain hunt has more viewership lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭sioda

Wow what a waste of time.

The whole season could have been condensed into about 4 EPs realistically.

Thankfully Picard seems to have escaped the writing that discovery has endured. The worst thing is I'll watch the next season because it's trek and it has to get better you'd hope

Complaining about politics being pushed on Star Trek is like complaining their is a leather ball in a soccer match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I understand where your coming from. The shows of past dealt with moral political issues everybody could agree with. Discovery is narcissistic, miserable - reflective of the people who make it

It had a black woman, an Japanese man and a Russian on the bridge. It later dealt with trans issues in TNG.

Definitely were not things "everybody could agree with" back then or some even now.

I think that's only half true though. TOS and TNG Trek told good stories set in a world where values were (mostly?) in the right place and treated as worth upholding. I'm not sure if it was particularly pushy though. It just existed in that world.

Discovery can't let a scene go by without vocalising it's position on treating everyone with love and respect and allowing ourselves to feel because we are ALL in this TOGETHER people <3 <3. Meanwhile it's just some rote sci-fi story in some rote sci-fi world exploding all around them.

And it's the same with having an American political figure playing a cameo as the president of Earth or whoever and whatever. They've done very little to show us any example of a future worth having for four seasons, but here's an actual real word liberal politician we want to align ourselves with instead.

Poor.

• Advertisement

On the first bit Roddenberry made a point and was absolutely honest about having women and Black people to push his politics. It was a move that would certainly be "virtue signaling" to some people now.

Discoverys crime isn't the politics its just doing it with shte writing.

And ya as I said earlier its risky to start endorsing living people. Unless this woman is actually starting an acting career which I don't think is the case.

Advertisement