Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State lost 10,000 Intel jobs due to planning system delays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,930 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Intel couldn’t accept the fact that they had to engage with our due process. Had to make requests, get permission and tow the line and wait their turn…corporates don’t like that..

Here in Ireland intel over the years received millions in tax breaks from us.

Might remember that when I’m buying tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Enslavements you say, so well paid jobs is slave labour now according to this poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Couldn't accept the fact? Wait their turn?You seem to think corporations are obliged to wait on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

They follow our process

We are not obliged to bow to all their demands and you will find most MNC have no issue with this

moreso then we are obliged to rush our processes and dispense with due process, diligence and regulatory checking which are enshrined in our laws , just because they click their fingers…and say.. “ohhh exsuce me bu bu bu but we is Intel, we is call the shots…”.happened in the past..it’s not 1987 though.

there has been more then enough corners being cut, favours given, lines blurred and laws broken to facilitate business, that culture is history, for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

We don’t have the people to staff it and it is a low value adde industry which is very price sensitive so not worth going after in any case. So we are just as entitled to pass on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Cordell

>>it is a low value adde industry

Seriously?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I agree that most MNCs will, indeed, follow whatever requirements are in place by the local government, but it's a balancing act as time and expense spend in the pre-construction application process is a lost opportunity cost to be considered against the benefits of the eventual creation. Even if it's, say, cheaper to own a facility in Ireland than in Germany, if it takes an extra two or three years to get the approval process done, that's two or three years of production (or service, or whatever) lost to the MNC in question.

A case in point is Tesla's Nevada Gigafactory. It already had a factory in California, but in order to increase capacity for output, it needed another factory. California basically ruled itself out because the process took so long, and the cars had to be built. As evidence that it wasn't just a matter of costs and incentives, it was discovered after Nevada was selected that Texas's bid actually was much bigger, but still not as fast as Nevada (NV's proximity to the extant factory probably also was a factor, in fairness). Interestingly, it was an Irishman, Diarmuid O'Connell who was the VP of Tesla who put together the deal.

As regards housing, build it and they will come. The place is between Reno and Fernley, there is absolutely bugger-all out there, but it seems to have been sorted out.

There is a difference between having various hoops to jump through in order to gain planning permission, and how long those hoops have to take. Can those hoops be more efficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

yup well paid job = big house to keep up with peers = big mortgage = stranglehold on you for 30 years if thats not enslavement than i cant say what is?, oh yes loads of profits for shareholders & a giant fcuk off yacht for the CEO and you struggle to pay ( a second mortgage) a child minders to raise your kid and try to stop working at the weekend to eat a family dinner 60 + hours tell me whats wholesome about that life? Ask yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sounds like you would prefer to be on the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Seems to me like Ireland were saying to Intel "we have a lovely site here, don't you think it's lovely? Did we mention the site is lovely?".

There is nothing to suggest that the site was seriously preferred to other options or that the planning system here had any influence at all in which location was chosen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yes it is. It is rapidly becoming a commodity industry, so a wast of effort to retain or attract such business.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sutrapall

Generally speaking, these multinationals are going to pay fractions of the tax they should be paying, import a very large proportion of the workers, drive up prices of insufficient housing, pressurise existing infrastructure such as health and environment and so on. Because it suits them, not the country.

We're a paper economy largely built on pyramid schemes, house prices and shyte investment that's a net drain. Yeah it'll benefit a few, scream the few.

There is a difference between rushing our process and having a needlessly drawn out process.

What corners have been cut? Laws broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Next-gen semiconductor engineering and manufacturing is the precise opposite of a commodity industry.

There are only really three firms worth talking about that are capable of leading-edge R&D and manufacturing in this space - Intel happen to be trailing in third place.

Sorry not sorry, but the above is a complete nonsense. "Low value add"??? Jesus wept. I for one am glad of my TSMC shares.

What enables you to determine that our processes are needlessly being drawn out ?

historically there have been numerous laws. near why I live planning given for a housing project. That was built outside of the spec of the plans…

What enables me to determine that, is the same that allowed you to determine that intel didn't want to "get permission and tow the line and wait their turn"

Which numerous laws?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

yup well paid job = big house to keep up with peers = big mortgage = stranglehold on you for 30 years if thats not enslavement than i cant say what is?

If you can't say what slavery is, then it reflects pretty poorly on you tbh. I'll give you a hint - it's not that.

Ireland was, I suspect, always in trouble with this given their massive investment in another FAB here. Having so much deployed in one country would be something of a risk. As to the planning delays - there is a difficult line to thread on this, though from a very ill-informed viewpoint we do seem to be slightly on the wrong side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Nope i work for my self, no yacht but i own my own house no mortgage so i dont have to pimp myself out to american corporations who are only in Ireland to pay little or no corpo tax. I did work for an american corporation once and i found the culture to be quite toxic. There is no point in attacking me if you like working for them but having been on both sides I prefer my life now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,969 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’d say SF and PBP are delighted with this missed opportunity!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You are totally correct that they are obliged to follow our process, but maybe our process needs a review and as mentioned is from a different time.

Modernise or get left behind.

I worked for Intel for years and tbh I never thought Galway was anyway a viable proposition due to labour force issues and the complete and utter lack of public transport that would have been required.

It always struck me that Intel were happy to mention Galway possibly to put pressure elsewhere and not have the eventual winners think they were a shoe-in. Anyone I know that works in there be it for Intel or contractors next expenses Galway to win.

A bit like the IOC stringing along hopeless Olympic city candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The problem ireland has is no proper rail network. The main airport is Dublin and if you want to get to Galway, we’ll it’s a taxi/bus into town. Then a slow train down to Galway, maybe 3 hours?

If you could turn around and say a train from airport to city centre in 10 mins and a fast direct train in 1 hour to Galway it might make sense.

People complain about the concentration of companies in Dublin and then at the same time want no invest in public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Sure they follow our process. The process could be efficient and actually well planned though, right? The issue is the process. It could be a lot better. 1,000 greenfield homes could be built for 250m. (don't give me the average cost is higher, 1,000 homes comes with serious economies of scale). 10,000 for 2.5b. Not saying Intel had to build them, it it's a drop in the bucket compared with the potential investment, and these are the jobs paying our taxes and funding our social services. So plan for the fans, plan for the suburbs to support them. Its not impossible (ask the Germans). If it was not for FDI we'd still be second world at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Actually I'm suggesting numerous biotech small, medium and large companies are being informed by their employees they don't want to live in Ireland because they would pay too much of their rent on housing with an unprofessional landlord class. Should they change their thinking to help our economy or should we focus on fixing the problem?

Indeed I'm surprised this fact is lost on so many people. When I lived in America and the UK the news being reported from Ireland was consistently that of lack of housing and an unprofessional landlord class. Do people not think companies care about housing their employees?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't look for solutions. I suggesting that we should take any direct investment for skilled labour we can get, regardless of whether housing is available or not. If the demand is created, we should get out of the way and let the supply meet the challenge. We want to remain economically competitive after all. The last thing we should be doing is turning down opportunities. We are in a global competition. If you are saying that housing is just so uncompetitive in Ireland that people refuse to work here we should look into that. Are we saying that if 10k jobs land outside Galway, it is not profitable for private investment to rent to this workforce? Why? Is it the cost of energy and material on the island? Is it the lack of eviction enforcement to protect the investment? Or are the building standards too onerous to be profitable? Or perhaps the salaries at intel are just not good enough. I lived in Manhattan for a few years, the rents were insane but so was the pay, so it didn't matter, perhaps the quality of these jobs is overstated if they do not pay enough to rent a flat outside of Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭littlevillage

And the €12million isn't even "new" money.... It was already allocated to Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/is-intel-s-12bn-investment-just-a-consolation-prize-1.4828875

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Your math is filled with assumptions. How about we start with "choice". Depending on education, qualifications and experience, one may be in a position to "choose" to apply for one of these slave jobs you speak of. People then "choose" the type of house they can afford, which may include a long mortgage, but people "choose" this. People also have the "choice" as to whether they wish to be parents or not (for the most part). So, if taking up one these these jobs was akin to enslavement, then that would also be a "choice".

You might consider that the device you are using to post your comments most likely contains an Intel chip, or other MNC chip and you are therefore supporting slavery 😉

I personally believe the culture in these MNCs is pretty toxic and they burst at the seams with virtue signaling, but people can make their own decision to work for them, or not.

On the manufacturing end, they pay quite well for graduates. I think it works out at 50k per annum with the allowances and bonuses for someone coming out of college with a Level 7 engineering degree, which is pretty decent. Most graduates wouldn't be earning anywhere near that starting off.

Not everyone gets a big house surrounded by acres of land, but in Oranmore, there are plenty of properties between the 200-250k price range, which is buttons comparing to the average in the likes of Dublin. I'm sure plenty of the workers would have lived outside Oranmore in any case and be able to get more for their money without a long commute.

Most of us have to save before getting a mortgage, that's just the way it is. It's not a bad habit to get into either.

I'm not surprised we lost out to Germany either. Intel are having problems getting enough qualified staff to fill their technical roles. A huge percentage of engineering grads are being hoovered up by Intel and their contractors. Germany have similar problems in this area and a lot of Irish grads are encouraged to travel to the likes of Germany and the Netherlands to fill technical roles due to a big shortage of this talent.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Build it and they will come? Facebook, Google and a huge amount of pharmaceutical plants are here and we still have a housing crisis. In fact these industries are pushing up rent and house prices in the area.

Advertisement