Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your job & salary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I remember a mod who posted above telling me I was wrong about the intel salaries even though I work there and was on that amount along with many others. I see now he's an engineer in the pharmaceutical industry.

Anyway I'll update the intel salaries for technicians.

Start 60k all in

8 years of decent pay rises based on performance 90-110 all in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Base pay

Shift pay 30% of base pay

Built in overtime. Contract says normal week is 37hours. 1 week you do 3x12hours 20 minutes shifts which is 37 hours the other you do 4x 12hours 20 minutes shifts which is 49hours 20 minutes. It's a standard shift pattern which gives built in overtime.

4x quarterly profit bonus

1x yearly bonus

Potential 4 x factory excellence bonus

Healthcare

Restricted stock units.

SPP (stock purchase plan)

Recognition reward card

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

In an engineering role in the same sector.

As you say the benefits of working in the sector are at present being offset by the lack of resources.

Advertising for a position at present and many of the applicants have no experience but are demanding a higher salary than engineers with 20 years experience.

No idea how the lack of resources issue will be solved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Using that line of argument no amount is enough 😏. My point still stands - how does a fund of €1m translate to only 20k per year when you could do nothing with it and draw down 30k pa for 33 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

You need a degree to sit the FE1 exams as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How many pensioners in this history of this country actually had a pension that matched their pre retirement salary or close to it and they all survived.

Most of our lives we have high costs. Mortgage, raising kids. Once they're both cleared and they would be, by 67, your outgoings are much much less.

Even if you had a private pension of 8k and state of 12k, that's 20k a year virtually tax free. On top of that you could have a tax free lump sum on retirement.

20k a year, with no mortgage and no childcare costs? There's people out there earning 23k having to rent in Dublin and they survive and have a life. I, albeit nearly a decade ago, started on 23k in Dublin and managed to save 7k in a year and still spent money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No. You need to do the Preliminary Examination if you don't have a degree. After you pass the Preliminary Examination then you can do the FE1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Engineer

Best description be client side construction

90k ish

But that does include car allowances etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Achilles Knee

That's correct. It's in addition to the pension. Worked hard and lucky. My knees are fcuked from lifting and draging. Back is surprisingly ok. I'm frugal, don't smoke and drink but enjoy being with people and telling yarns.

Might purchase some land and forest it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Retired early from teaching.

Pick up bits and pieces of correcting and have an airbnb room.

Pension 16k, correcting usually about 3k (mocks and real exams), airbnb probably 4-5k, but hard to judge what covid effect will be.

So, total somewhere between 22 and 25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Data analyst for a tech company. About 110k including salary, bonus and stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

That's a strong salary for construction. Without giving anything personal away, care to elaborate on your role / responsibilities / experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Hard not too give too much away 🤣

Chartered and heading for 20 years since degree.

Lead a small division in the company and have a few projects myself too.

Be very similar to the likes of KSN, Linesight, Bectel, MACE, Jacobs who project manage for semi-state and FDI clients

BTW I'd say there's at least 100 people working for the main contractors in Intel on more

I was offered €60 an hour to go in there, and fairly mid range role!!!!

Interesting! I've never encountered a lawyer without a degree before. The FE1s are very difficult exams though, I could barely pass them and I have 3 degrees.

But you don't need to pass them all together either. So someone can spread them over a few years. They might not get a training contract in a top shop but maybe daddy has a solicitors firm etc.

They could also have gone to college and not finished their degree maybe or have one that isn't reacognised here.

Absolutely! It's great that they've gotten rid of the minimum 3-pass rule for people beginning the exams. I think the plan is for FE1s to be abolished altogether down the line for law graduates, not sure how that would work for people without a degree but like everything there will be exceptions to the general rule.

Law graduates were exempt until Bloomer in the mid 90's. That was a case taken by graduates from the North who said that they were being unfairly discriminated against as they didn't have exemptions. So in order to do away with the discrimination, the Law Society did away with the exemption for everyone.

Did ya not have to learn that for your exams? 😉

They're an unnecessary barrier to the profession in my opinion but I do feel like they were a nice refresher in terms of content we wouldn't have revised since 1st year in college. In terms of whether it was all worth it, ask me in 10 years lol.

It's hardly a "barrier" though. Just a foundational hurdle. If you have spent 4 years studying for a degree in law, it should be relatively easy to pass them - no? At least compared to others who didn't study law

(Disclaimer, I have never taken them or even looked at them)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It does not really matter what other people did or have, it's not much of a consolation if you can't like the life you are used to and want to continue living.

And expenses don't go down after you retire, unless you are forced to do so due to a lack of funds and in fact the most case they go up. First of all people want to travel, repurpose their house for retirement living, spend more on hobbies etc... And in the case of people who are sick they often need to have their homes changed to make it easier to live, take treatments that are not covered by their healthcare etc... And there is the need or desire to help grown up children to get on the property ladder, start a business etc...

At the end of the day it is you that will have to live your retirement decision, but don't underestimate how much you will need, because can't go back and fix it.

There's allowances etc for pensioners. fuel allowance, living alone allowance, household benefits package, free tv licence, free travel.

Seems the way we're told to act is put as much as you can into your pension. Seems like we work just to fund our pensions.

Work like a dog for 40 years and then have a few years of living before you die.

Imagine you're 30, earning 50k all your life and want to retire at 67. You need to put 20% of your salary just to double the state pension. So 20% of all your wages for 37 years and you'll get 26k a year. That means your net salary each month will be around 500 euro less for 37 years.

500 euro less per month x 12 months a year x 37 years is 222,000 euro. That's a lot of enjoyment spread over 37 years you could get. But instead we're told to put that into a pension so we can do some things when we're 70. And then we could die at 74. And yes we're living longer but many elder people have illness or ailments they suffer with anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

As someone only starting their career now, I will be working under the assumption that there will be no state pension when I retire. Seeing every pension calculator factor the 8k state pension in is concerning. A lot can change in the next 45 years and I for one will not be dependent on the Government or under any assumptions, with skewing demographics and a massive funding gap it seems a stupid risk to assume anyone will look after you but yourself.

In my eyes that's worth giving up the €222,000, as you put it. Starting early is half the battle. I might also add that the average pension here is around 100k, frighteningly low. I think more people need to look out for their own best interest and that involves a solid pension.

After all of that, if the state pension is there it's a cherry on top.

Post edited by codrulz on

I think they are a barrier as some people find it hard to digest the volume of content required to actually pass the exams, yet that doesn't necessarily mean that said person would be any less talented as a lawyer than say a person who prepares for an exam via 'wrote learning'. I studied law for 5 years (LLB & LLM) and I found them tough.

They're also quite expensive at €105 per exam and you can add a zero to that figure if you decide to do a prep course. Pre-Covid, there was also the added expense of booking 4-5 nights in the Red Cow hotel while sitting the exams (this wouldn't apply to those from Dublin of course) but they're now being facilitated virtually.

What would you think of an average LC student who does the preliminary exams and then one of the FE1s per sitting while working in a basic part-time job? Plausible? I have no idea so that is why I'm asking you.

They'd miss out on the college experience but their costs would be much less. And they'd be passing their final exam (hopefully) when their LC classmate with the 4-year LLB is doing their first sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Accountant working within insurance in Dublin, current age early 30s, qualified ACCA in 2018 so 4 years post qualified salary base 72k, bonus ranges normally 15% it was 25% last year. Work pension 10% of base so all in near 100k gross.

There is other benefits which I really like, it's not always on the salary but 25 days holidays, WFH on a permanent basis, travel expenses, gym, and paid paternity leave.

Interesting to see other careers here, always wanted to be a garda thank god finishing school in 2008 forced me into college and away from public sectors.

Why would you work to that assumption? The state pension will not be going anywhere.

Only ones saying there won't be a state pension in future are pension salesman.

If there's no state pension, does that mean dole doesn't exist either? In what scenario can you see government removing the pension? It would be one of the last welfare payments to ever be removed or reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I don't think it won't exist but it's getting less and less, higher age of retirement and bigger pool of people hitting said age, it'll be a nice bonus but I wouldn't like to be banking on it being close to its current form.

In theory it could be possible but that person would essentially be betting their future on their ability to pass the preliminary exams and the FE1s. Also, it would probably take longer than 4 years as an average LC student would unlikely be able to pass an FE1 exam off the bat imo. You could probably add on at least two more sittings. NUIG, NUIM and UCC each have 3 year law degrees which would likely be the more optimal choice for someone hoping to pursue a career in law.

The big firms require applicants to have a minimum of a 2.1 degree but I'm sure there would be boutique solicitor practices that wouldn't be too fussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

€30K, bonus €300 one for all voucher, 😪.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement