Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your job & salary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yes but if Tesco/Dunnes are only paying 35k a year (wild guess) then that's the reason.

If tesco are also paying above median salaries and you get to stand around chatting its the better choice. But if theyre paying considerably less then your argument is moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Maybe Lidl don't hire people who stand around chatting all day?

Tesco actively hires older people and I think it's a fantastic thing, but there are plenty of advantages for Tesco.

Turnover is a lot lower, there's no little room for advancement or wage increases, and staff likely have few out-of-work commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,606 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Probably because most 60 year old women have more sense than to put up with that sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Left the public sector for the private sector. Wages up 17k, and pension of 18k.

So, luckily better off to the tune of 35k. Will be moving on soon to a better payed job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Be doubtful if they are anywhere near that. Be €13-14 an hour and 35 hour weeks, lucky if their coming out €23-25k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I earn even less than your wife. Also paying out for childcare and all the rest. I had a stint as an SAHM and was lucky to get back into the workforce a couple of years ago. Sometimes I think of throwing in the towel again, cos I feel I work for so little, but I stay because it's the only way to try to build back up my salary. I have started applying for higher paid jobs so hopefully something will come of that. As the kids get older our outgoings only seem to increase too, so if I could get a higher paying job I'd obviously be delighted. Sometimes changing jobs is the only way to get more pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The lads earning 46k in lidl aren't just doing the tills etc, they're managers so they'll have their area managers foot on their neck.

Lidl and Aldi really know how to market themselves. Dunnes is a much better place to work and you get a 20% discount too.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

15y working experience

supply chain

7y in current company

managing 12 people

81k base+12k bonus + 60k shares

after tax more than half is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

I’ve never heard anyone say that Dunnes was a good place to work before.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Bravo for your honesty, although I’d guess you’re quite young and wil go further, this is the first post I’ve seen on a thread like this by someone who works in IT / Software development that didn’t post something mad over €100K.

it must be such a handy profession, honestly, you never hear any of them complain. All contracted; making silly money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

Software developers at 180k is even more base than in Cupertino, but of course people in FAAGM has RSU. Which could be same as base salary. But then housing price in SF is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I worked as a SW Engineer for many many years, and my max wage was around 50K. It was a perfect storm that i hadn't earned more (recession/industry being the main reason).

But the 100k+ i see around alot sounds great but wouldn't do the job again for twice that!

Post edited by LowOdour on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Their staff seem to stay a longer, I know of a few who'd be there 20-30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I wish I could post that salary but not happening in the foreseeable future. Actually since I posted I’ve got a 6% rise but even double my salary and your nowhere near 100k. But to be honest I suffer with a lifelong health condition and they are so supportive to me and from where I’m standing that’s worth more than money. Had a flare up late last year that put me in hospital so have seen it first hand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

You mean them low, low prices are sh1te? I quite like them myself.

You must be getting paid too much if you foolishly spend more somewhere else.

The question was about employees not customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

And it's the customers riding the hole of the employees. Everyone can see the employees are run ragged and that's why the prices are that much lower. But no one cares. i certainly don't and I bet you're often buying in Aldi and Lidl as well.

Once again, the question was about employees, particularly older female employees. You seem to be going in a totally different direction. Anal sex references aren't really appropriate to this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

These threads tend to generally attract those on higher level salaries. I'm here to balance it out.

I earn 34K, with a few perks. Local journalist. It's actually above average for the industry (at this local level) believe it or not.

Something a lot of people can do admittedly but some are much better than others - the major problem in the industry is that the pay doesn't reflect that, and most places care little about quality as long as the news/sports fields are covered in any sort of competent way.

So you can have a mix poor, acceptable, and excellent quality people all earning similar levels of pay. There are people that remain local on such salaries that are perfectly capable of operating at higher national positions, with far, far more lucrative levels of pay, but it simply doesn't suit their lives.

It's a problematic industry. They often whinge about lack of staff or talent yet the pay remains low. In my own workplace they've lost a ton of excellent people because they refused to pay even modest increases in salary that matches the talent and experience.

Personally, I'm fairly good at it at the local level, and the hours are less than 38, not overly taxing, I'm never stressed, never goes beyond standard hours either. Could I get a better paying job in the field? Probably, but to be honest I'm not overly ambitious in this field and what I have suits me now until I get the finger out and transition elsewhere, or upskill.

Anyway, there you have it. I don't worry about it too much. Life goes on, and life certainly can always be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭fits

I feel like you. Looking at a lot of my peers in senior roles and wondering if I should be too or if I need or want the hassle. I don’t need the money. And have caring responsibilities. It’s hard to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

For balance, self employed - taxable income which is equivalent of salary has varied from €20K to €50K over the years, no two are ever the same. But that said, I do put away as much as can be spared into a PRSA pension scheme. Because that's what you may do when you're self employed - pay for your own pension. By doing this, generally manage to pay mostly at lower tax rate.

Benefits, I enjoy what I do and making a useful contribution to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭livingdgx

Self employed, taxed over 40%

Absolutely ridiculous number, you try to make a start for yourself against the grain, suddenly you’re met with huge tax brackets to pay for a country that has no beneficial effect on people my age or even it’s own national people, stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Maintenance manager in a factory. 60k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

While I'm well objectively well paid, I'm underpaid by the multinational I work for, given the stress and responsibly.

But I like the job, it's extremely flexible leave wise, and I get to do some international travel, on my terms for the most part.

The problem is, a mortgage application only cares about salary, so I'm forced to keep an eye out for something better paid.

A few years ago, I was checking into a hotel midweek at about 11pm after working late. Long day but I was happy. Outside there was a brand new Audi. The girl inside was wearing an Aldi branded jacket and was bawling crying.

I know it could have been for any reason, but it certainly put their salaries into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭robbiezero

When you are actually only getting 45% of that payrise, it quite often isnt worth takig on any extra hassle for.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ciara26

Accountant in the financial services. 65k. Thought it was a good salary till reading this thread 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I wouldn't be paying much notice to the figures being thrown around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ciara26

Advertisement