Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your job & salary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,606 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Your post suggests otherwise. The State didn't have the luxury of choosing the timing of using the pension fund resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Okay, so explain how banks would have failed despite having their debts guaranteed by the state (since that is what you claimed)? I presume you understand that the State is backed by a lender of last resort, IE the central bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Wonder how much this pension contribution is going to cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Sales executive 33k. Started applying for other positions offering 10k more.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Ashley02

Executive Assistant, I'm on 47k. I've had my salary increase by 5k this year and I got a 6K bonus (albeit taxed to the hilt!), we always get one4 all vouchers each year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well for a start the banks did not and do not have their debts guaranteed, you have your deposit guaranteed and the state is not backed by a lender of last resort and the ECB has been the lender of last resort to the Irish banking system....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If private pensions are so good and guaranteed then why doesn't the government just take the negative interest EU loans and put it all into pensions. 😉

20bn in 30 years at 7% annual return would be worth 152bn.

The paradox of the pension is that people say in the future with an ageing population there won't be as many workers and there'll be way more pensioners. If that's the case, the annual returns on a pension are going to crater because pensions are based on the economic performance and if there's not as many workers the spending won't be as big thus the economy will get smaller and so will your pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Margaret Clarke

Nurse.

$4,000SGD per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Dante

Contract Software Developer - around €185k per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Are you now rewriting history?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/the-big-gamble-the-inside-story-of-the-bank-guarantee-1.655629

Also the ECB and the 19 national central banks share the role of lender of last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Margaret Clarke

For all the Willy measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is that what you spend all day doing as a nurse?

Anyone watch the programme about Lidl last night?

Big smug head on yer man when he said "people think ah you only work in Lidl but then they're shocked when they find out I'm earning 46 and a half thousand a year"

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Doesn't look like this got the reaction you were hoping for.

If he's happy and he feels that he's adequately paid for his work then more power to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Exactly.

Lidl must think he's worth the money. Fair play to him. Not the sort of work I'd be interested in, but in fairness, if Woodies were paying that much to work in the garden centre I'd do it.

Lovely job, outside most days. Watering plants. Talking about plants. Carrying compost for old dears. Sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Wasn't looking for any reaction, just made a comment. :)

They're set grades and they're worked like dogs.

The Lidl employee in the show even admitted it saying there's only 5 or 6 running the whole store and they do the work of 7 or 8 people.

That's the thing with Lidl and Aldi, they understaff their shops but they pay a bit higher wages and that's all anyone looks at when praising them. You'll walk into Tesco and you'll see workers on the floor taking it easy doing their job.

Another thing is you never see an elder people working in Lidl or Aldi like you would in supervalu or Tesco or Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Given the median wage in Ireland is around 40k and the average 50k he's right to frame it in the manner you've stated. Most people would assume lidl employees are underpaid.

But if his wage is correct then they're far from it based on CSO.

Depending on circumstances 50k a year is plenty to enjoy life. I wouldn't want to be supporting a young family on it but if I was kid free then I think I could live quite comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

No point saying how much you earn and what you do unless you also state your years of experience, qualifications, responsibilities, working hours, stress levels, ...

Otherwise we are comparing apples with oranges.

• Advertisement

He'll work his balls off for that money though. Lidl are cut throat. I've been going to my Lidl for 10 years and the staff never last too long.

You'll often see mega queues down half the shop. I remember being in one and there were customers at the back shouting up asking if there's another till being opened. The guy on the till was visibly frustrated and told them to ask his manager. After another few minutes the manager comes along and asks the guy where X is. "He's on lunch" he says. Manager then opens a till by himself and works the tills. Guy on the till then says he's due to go on a break now and manager asks him can he wait until half past. Till worker was visibly frustrated.

So yeah, they're worked like dogs. They purposely understaff their shops.

You'll often see tills being opened and ones down in the bakery having to take off their gloves and hairnets to work on the tills and then when they've cleared a few customers they have to close up their till again and get kitted up to go to the bakery again. It would be exhausting working in Lidl and they earn every cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm on 50K, child free. It's grand but it's also **** at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

You don't know how good you've got it! I'm on 54K, wife in 36K, two children, jaysus. And I haven't hit school age even.

Childcare costing 1,800 a month. That's 3K of gross income required just to pay the creche. Nuts.

And there's groceries, mortgage, energy bills, cars to fuel tax and insure, mudderahgaahhd. The list goes on. Its so **** depressing. Poster boy for the rat race.

Does it not work out the same having your wife stay at home?

Really depends on your housing situation.

If you bought years ago you could have a mortgage of say 6/700. 50k you have around 3k net a month. That means you'd have 2300 for everything else. Nice chunk.

But if you are renting, paying 1500 a month, that's 800 extra you're forking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep. Nuts.

Can you manage on one car ?

Also, stay away from alcohol if things are getting to you, for your own sake, or the venerated alcohol companies in this country will get their cut of you as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a reasonable suggestion, but it's not quite as cut-and-dried as that. Women who leave jobs to take care of children often have difficulty getting back into the workforce afterwards. This can especially be the case when your new job requires altered hours.

That is, she quits now, and when the last child starts school, she starts looking for work. But she's looking for part-time work; mornings only; that's flexible around pick-up/drop-off times.

Or she's out of the workforce until the youngest goes to secondary school, and when she tries to rejoin she's a decade behind the curve and can't go back to what she was doing, she's back to being a junior.

If she stays where she is, it's a tough few years, but once the youngest starts school the creche fees burn away and turn into half-day childcare fees, her salary has gone up through increments and she has enough cred in the company to be given flexibility around hours.

It also one-sides the pressures a lot; if she's not working, then he is under pressure to ensure that he's doing all the earning and keeping his job. She also becomes the sole child minder. It's no longer reasonable to ask him to take time off work to bring the kids to the doctor. That's now her job. And it's constant. She doesn't get time away from the kids, at all, ever. Whereas when she's working, she has some time to be herself.

On the one hand it seems like a no-brainer that you don't earn money just to spend it on childcare, but the decision to drop it is a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Pretty much exactly what Seamus said.

Yes it's easier all around if my wife doesn't work for now. But, while she finds it very hard to manage it all now, as i do, she enjoys having a job and a life outside the home also. Not as cut and dry as man go work woman stay home..

We've looked hard at the two car to one car thing, tried it for 3 months. Didn't work at all, just more stress trying to drop and swap and plan.

Regarding alcohol, I drink very little. Technically I usually binge when I do, could have 4-6 pints, but it's every couple of months at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Id argue most low skill jobs work you like a dog. At least he's getting paid relatively well for it.

• Advertisement

Nah not really. Go into Tesco and you'll often see the folks there having chats or taking it easy on the shop floor doing their work.

Walk into Lidl and you'll see the workers in aisles clearing out old packaging like their life depended on it, headset on too. They do everything at 100 miles an hour.

You'll never see a 60 year old woman on the tills in Lidl. Makes you wonder why that is.

Advertisement