Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

We don’t talk about Bruno no no no, we don’t talk about Bruno. Why wasn’t this song nominated??

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Jared Leto was an absolute trainwreck in house of Gucci....should be nowhere near any award accept a Razzie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Miranda et al decided not to put it forward for consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ya it wasn't a viral hit by time of deadline submission.

• Advertisement

BAFTA's airing on BBC1 at 7pm tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I usually enjoy the BAFTAS but this is pretty poor. Doesn't help so many of the winners aren't present

• Registered Users Posts: 84,834 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Ariana DeBose the only guaranteed lock as she has won every award, Will Smith and Jane Campion also winning a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Rebel Wilson seemed a bit nervy - nearly didn't recognise her she lost so much weight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I can’t stand her fat or thin she is a pain in the hole. Completely 1 dimensional actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and her dead pan Aussie accent, she's the Aussie equivalent of Katherine Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 84,834 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Coda for best picture with Troy for best supporting actor could be near locks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Sh!te best picture nominations this year IMHO. You know you are in trouble when there are two remakes in the mix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Three, actually, as CODA is a remake of a French film 😁

Personally feel Drive My Car is one of the very best films nominated for Best Picture in recent years (with seemingly no chance of actually winning), and I’m quite fond of Power of the Dog, West Side Story and Licorice Pizza too.

CODA seems to be emerging as a late favourite, surprisingly. The type of film I’d usually hate but it might have caught me in a very generous mood because I found it charming and effective in its utterly formulaic, inoffensive way. Would much rather see it win over Belfast.

Four actually Nightmare Alley is also a remake!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ha I’d actually counted that, it was Dune I’d neglected 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Yeah, I deliberately left out Dune because it's really a very different take on the book and not a remake in my mind. Missed that Coda was a remake alright.

I'd be happy with a Dune win to be fair. Has some touches of brilliance to it. Hated Power of the Dog. Licorice Pizza didn't do much for me. I left reviews for both. Nightmare Alley was like a bad made for video movie from the 80s. It looked cheap and had nothing original to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Before the Oscars we have the Razzies. And the "winners" are (in bold):

Worst Picture

Diana the Musical (Netflix) – David Bryan, Joe DiPietro, and Frank Marshall

Infinite (Paramount+) – Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Mark Huffam, Stephen Levinson, Mark Vahradian, Mark Wahlberg, and John Zaozirny

Karen (Quiver Distribution) – Mary Aloe, Sevier Crespo, "Coke" Daniels, Cory Hardrict, and Taryn Manning

Space Jam: A New Legacy (Warner Bros. Pictures) – Maverick Carter, Ryan Coogler, Duncan Henderson, and LeBron James

The Woman in the Window (Netflix) – Eli Bush, Anthony Katagas, and Scott Rudin

Worst Director

Christopher Ashley – Diana the Musical

Stephen Chbosky – Dear Evan Hansen

Coke Daniels – Karen

Renny Harlin – The Misfits

Joe Wright – The Woman in the Window

Worst Actor

LeBron James – Space Jam: A New Legacy as Himself

Scott Eastwood – Dangerous as Dylan "D" Forrester

Roe Hartrampf – Diana the Musical as Prince Charles

Ben Platt – Dear Evan Hansen as Evan Hansen

Mark Wahlberg – Infinite as Evan McCauley & Heinrich Treadway (2020)

Worst Actress

Jeanna de Waal – Diana the Musical as Princess Diana

Amy Adams – The Woman in the Window as Dr. Anna Fox

Megan Fox – Midnight in the Switchgrass as Rebecca Lombardi

Taryn Manning – Karen as Karen Drexler

Ruby Rose – Vanquish as Victoria

Worst Supporting Actor

Jared Leto – House of Gucci as Paolo Gucci

Ben Affleck – The Last Duel as Count Pierre d'Alençon

Nick Cannon – The Misfits as Ringo

Mel Gibson – Dangerous as Dr. Alderwood

Gareth Keegan – Diana the Musical as James Hewitt, the Muscle-Bound Horse Trainer

Worst Supporting Actress

Judy Kaye – Diana the Musical as BOTH Queen Elizabeth II and Barbara Cartland

Amy Adams – Dear Evan Hansen as Cynthia Murphy

Sophie Cookson – Infinite as Nora Brightman

Erin Davie – Diana the Musical as Camilla Parker Bowles

Taryn Manning – Every Last One of Them as Maggie

Worst Screen Combo

LeBron James & any Warner cartoon character (or Time-Warner product) he dribbles on – Space Jam: A New Legacy

Any klutzy cast member & any lamely lyricized (or choreographed) musical number – Diana the Musical

Jared Leto & either his 17-pound latex face, his geeky clothes or his ridiculous accent – House of Gucci

Ben Platt & any other character who acts like Platt singing 24-7 is normal – Dear Evan Hansen

Tom & Jerry (aka Itchy & Scratchy) – Tom & Jerry

Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel

Space Jam: A New Legacy (Warner Bros. Pictures)

Karen (Quiver Distribution) (Inadvertent Remake of Cruella)

Tom & Jerry (Warner Bros. Pictures)

Twist (Sky Cinema) (Rap remake of Oliver Twist)

The Woman in the Window (Netflix) (Rip-off of Rear Window)

Worst Screenplay

Diana the Musical – Script by Joe DiPietro; Music and Lyrics by David Bryan and DiPietro

Karen – Written by "Coke" Daniels

The Misfits – Screenplay by Robert Henny and Kurt Wimmer; Screen Story by Henny

Twist – Written by Sally Collett and John Wrathall; Additional Material by Tom Grass, Kevin Lehane, Michael Lindley, and Matthew Parkhill (from an "Original Idea" by David T. Lynch, Keith Lynch, and Simon Thomas)

The Woman in the Window – Screenplay by Tracy Letts (from the novel by A. J. Finn)

Razzie Redeemer Award

Will Smith - King Richard

Jamie Dornan - Belfast

Nicolas Cage - Pig

Worst Performance by Bruce Willis in a 2021 Movie

Cosmic Sin as James Ford

American Siege as Ben Watts

Apex as Thomas Malone / The Prey

Deadlock as Ron Whitlock

Fortress as Robert Michaels

Midnight in the Switchgrass as Karl Helter

Out of Death as Jack Harris

Survive the Game as David

CODA would be my pick out of the 6 I've seen closely followed by Dune they leave the rest I've seen for dust tbh but Dune hasn't a hope anyway.

Haven't seen King Dick,Pizza,Drive Me Car or West Side Story (original dull enough).

Watched The Eyes of Tammy Faye last night,a flawed piece but mildly entertaining largely in part to the bombastic (in a good way) performance from Chastain I'd be stunned if she's toppled there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Haven’t seen many of the nominations. But did see Coda. And loved it. Was very surprised how much I got in to it. Didn’t think it would be for me. Loved it. Watched over half of nightmare alley last night. Stopped watching. It was starting to annoy me. Dragged out. Will watch the rest tonight for completion. Maybe it will surprise me. I’ve read that it is some type of mystery drama. I haven’t seen anything mysterious yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Put a few bob on two minor category outsiders tonight: Tick Tick Boom for editing and Please Hold best short

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I had to wiki Bruce’s filmography to see if that category was correct, wow, 2022 looks to be gearing up for moms of the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, kinda got a little done with the Razzies salt at this stage; at first it was cute, and Halle Berry turning up to collect her own was funny, but the gimmick seems played out. At least the Oscars ostensibly celebrate cinema, while few people try to make a bad movie.

Besides, my own salt about Willis took a pause, if those rumours are to be believed about him the glut of movie landfill feel poignant and sad.

Nina Wadia is a bit of a g(m)ilf 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Watching the Oscars right now...

Will Smith punching Chris Rock was legit. It even cut to Will shouting 'keep my wifes name out of your f***ing mouth!'. Was not scripted. (Sky didn't censor the audio).

Funny seeing the hosts called out for stealing jokes. Amy Schumer's Leo DiCaprio joke was stolen from a 2021 tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Cody montana

That was wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It will be interesting to see Will Smith's acceptance speech if he wins Best Actor award.

And he did... it's cringey. Talking bout 'protecting' his family....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Well, he did in his own way, I guess.

Here comes the apology...

• Advertisement

He knows he messed up. It won't be 'congrats for winning an award'... instead it's 'you made a damn fool of yourself, AGAIN!'.

His oscar speech, and the way folks were standing in the sideline. It was awkward. You could feel the tension. He meandered through it, and his apology was as half-hearted as his acting.

Apology to the academy, but not to Chris Rock. He didn't write the joke. Will Smith knows nobody writes the speeches they deliver.

Advertisement