Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to Advertising on the site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

In fairness the new Boards is bad but trying to read a thread on Reddit would give me a brain hemorrhage within thirty seconds.

I've tried a couple of times and nearly smashed my phone off the wall both times. Nothing seems to make sense. Maybe the paid for version has posts in order?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm sure it was mentioned before but setting up a way of allowing mobile phone carrier billing would get a few more euro the sites way. Lots of people in Vodafone and Three still have credit they don't really know what to spend it on, there's a thread devoted to it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,321 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm not sure how targeted your ads are to be honest. I don't need sports bras from JD sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Maybe there’s a good reason why they’re dismissing Patreon as out of hand, but I would have thought they’d be delighted with ANY extra revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

The problem isn’t the ads, it’s the fact people have abandoned the site due to the f-up made of updating it.

A lot of people didn’t come back. It’s still a really bad user experience.

Putting more ads on it will just mean that more people use an ad blocker. It’s the equivalent of an post increasing the price of stamps because less people are posting things.

You’re not looking at ways to diversify the assets of the site (users & interests), instead looking for the cheap quick fix (which isn’t a fix at all)

• Advertisement

Still think you should be able to "give gold" to posts for a few euro like on Reddit. Those posts could be highlighted on the homepage and the receiving user gets no ads for a month.

Apparently, my posts on Reddit have prompted enough gold to pay for an hour of server time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Would this be easy to implement into the new site? It's is probably one of the best ideas I've seen. Same with Patreon, ko-fi, etc. I don't think we should be ruling out any potential revenue stream, no matter how small.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Adguard works great on android

I'm sorry guys, but intrusive and functionality disruptive ads will only be self defeating. For those reasons I don't see any.

If you want to raise cash, consider the Patreon idea already suggested, or offer the subscriber option again with ad free experience included.

Also, with the amount of bugs and still missing functionality on this site, loading more ads in is a bit much - cash flow issues or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭28064212

This is the issue with pretty much all the various suggestions. It's clear that Boards don't have the resources to fix critical issues across the site, much less kick off new projects. I believe there are plenty of monetizable opportunities with Boards - however, it requires substantial investment first. The impact of the loss of so many high-level regular posters and moderators in such a short period of time cannot be overstated. The current trajectory is all downhill, and if the resource issues don't change, neither will the outcome.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can't but agree with this.

When the changeover first happened and the site was all over the shop, I still felt that eventually things would settle down, functionality would improve and posters would return - maybe not back to the levels at the height of the previous incarnation, but enough to make it a dynamic, enjoyable forum again.

Niamh's announcement that they're going to load even more advertising onto a clunky, malfunctioning, glitchy site, and make it even harder to use (especially on mobile) prompts me to feel for the first time that actually maybe boards is going down the drain. Slowly, maybe - but the aggravation of the constantly moving and changing functionality is growing for me, and it feels like a tipping point is coming down the tracks (to mix metaphors!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Set up a boards YouTube channel, offer memberships to it. Display threads of the day on it or some such (like old school teletext used to be at night-time). Completely free, virtually zero effort, more euros in the coffers. Patreon also free, more euros in the bank. Could even monetise Twitter these days.

Users of either give office their username, and ad free experience offered.

Could also hire some consultants who are experts in the hiring of advertising consultants and add more ads. Both might work.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

If Boards had put out a call for subscribers before the downgrade happened, explaining that the site, as it was, simply wasn't possible to maintain without more money coming in, I honestly would have been happy to spend a few bob a month to keep the place afloat.

With the best will in the world though, since the change I am spending hardly any time here and the user experience is so far from what I remember that there is no way I would spend money on it. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This, all day long this.

The problem goes back to the usual lack of transparency and sporadic communication. We were told an upgrade was happening that would allow Boards to do more, but instead we got a much delayed, stripped out and broken shell of what the place used to be and those who have stuck around have waited 8 months now and the place isn't even stable as is, nevermind even on par with the previous site.

I have to agree that if Odhran and whoever makes up the rest of the senior team had come on here openly stating the situation - BEFORE it became apparently critical - then probably most of the users would not only have supported the need for fundraising (look at how much is raised at Christmas for charity) and change and if they had been clever about it, they could probably have pulled in (FOR FREE) the skills and expertise that is all over this site - from development to project management to finance and fundraising to stabilise not only the cash but the site itself.

Instead of that, they made promises that couldn't be kept, didn't communicate effectively and still don't understand why people still come here if this is now the best they can come up with.

There's a lesson in management and customer engagement to be learned here but I fear it's too late and probably won't be learned anyway.

Hopefully though, if and probably when things come to a head, they sell the domain on to someone/a group who will bring the place back to its roots rather than chasing trends and wasting time and resources in the process. There are still many successful fora out there so the demand is still there, especially for the USP that Boards offers the Irish community and which the current management have completely failed to capitalise on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭HBC08

If Boards is struggling and it seems to be then I don't think this is a great move by them.Money is tight so spend any you do have on consultants who come up with the idea to put more ads on a cluttered site that most use an ad blocker on.

Consultants in my experience are rarely a solution to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I would donate to boards in the morning (and did in the past, as well as volunteering for them).

However, I have absolutely no confidence in the management of the site now, and until that changes, or I am proven wrong, there is no way I’d throw good money down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭Tow

It shows no adverts. Board management don't use the site, to they failed to understand why their advert revenue is so low!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Inviere

You say Patreon isn't a stable source of income, but you reckon ads will be? Ads can be (and will be) completely disabled at the click of a button by users at any time they want....one stupid/misplaced ad too many and boom, the user has enough and nukes every ad site wide with a browser addon. I don't see this as stable or guaranteed, in any way shape or form.

Patreon is a FAR better solution here, Yes people will join/leave as patreons as time goes by, but those who actually go to the trouble of subbing, usually won't be flash in the pan subscribers. The biggest obstacle of a potential Boards Patreon, is why would a user bother? What's in it for them? Much the same as becoming a traditional subscriber...there's just very little incentive.

A Patreon tier system, with attractive rates, and actual real world benefits for users is the only viable solution here to the income problem. As for those benefits, that'd be up to you guys....im sure the people here would have plenty of suggestions. Ideally you'd roll the current subscriber system into various Patreon tiers, name changes, special user badges, increasing access to various parts of the site, hell even give higher tiers (with established track records) a direct line with relavent mods for user representation/feedback/forum growth etc (and this could even lead to identifying prospective mods etc). There's loads of possibilities.

Ignoring these options, and just sticking with "moar ads", just screams like the cheapest/easiest way to roll the dice. Such a path does NOT inspire confidence in subscribing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Not as invasive as your sig, Jesus Christ almighty.

Anyway, if 5000 to 10000 people donated a euro a month for a boards Patreon, it wouldn’t be anywhere near enough to cover salaries, hosting, and so on. I think the users of this site need to just suck it up and keep Adblock off when they’re visiting. I genuinely hate most of the posters of this site but it would be a tragedy for the Irish web-space if it disappeared. I don’t use Adblock on boards.ie and I never will.

That being said I think Boards should be responsible regarding what they post in their adspace. I speak for everyone here when I say that I don’t expect or want to see ads for “hot single mothers in [my] area.”

Well you'd be aiming at 5 euros a month. There is a subscriber system already so just move it to Patreon where it's easy for everyone.

• Personally I would be willing to subscribe (not quite €50) if ads could reduce to some extent. I use an ad blocker and actually see absolutely no ads, and I’m guessing quite a few others do likewise. Just slightly annoying grey spaces with a header “Advertisement”. Just my tuppence worth for your research.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

On a point of moderation, the sig you mentioned is within acceptable limits: “Images: Images totalling up to 500 pixels wide, 125 pixels tall and 30k in size”. You can elect to strip images out of sigs you see in your profile settings drop down menu. Click Signature Settings, the place a tick in the “Strip images out of signatures” box and click Save.

I am reliably informed that seeing ads on their own is not enough. A user must click the ad for Boards to receive money. I am unclear if a purchase must be made as well for us to get paid? Maybe people like @[Deleted User] or @28064212 would know?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 thechigger

Hellooooooo adblock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Boards is dying, that's pretty obvious. Management will dismiss sensible suggestions until they stop getting paid.

The upgrade was the final nail in the server.

The name will be sold and Boards will be ressurected.

I have no idea what Boards management is on, but I suspect it's really top quality stuff that completely inhibits logical thought.

I do feel sorry for Boards staff that will lose their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

• Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In 20+ years of daily internet use, I've never knowingly clicked on an ad ever.

I'm not going to start now.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I've enquired about this since the move, about how to subscribe, the costs, the benefits etc. Fair enough it was shortly after the move and ye were busy but it would be good to get some info on this as I'll happily subscribe to support the site and remove ads

Edit:you added the costs and benefits in a later post, cheers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It should be featured more promentily to make users more aware this is even an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,163 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Not sure how unusual the above message is but haven't noticed it happen before today. Other ads working

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I find some of the contradictions stark: Mobile users should outnumber desktop users but yet the development on mobile appears to be stood still or a low priority. Surely mobile users should be driving new sign-ups? By not having investment at the mobile interface you have nothing more than a wire-sprung pram of bananas at the all-Ireland on a Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ads are pointless; everyone who uses a computer blocks them.

I'm barely on here, as the whiteness blinds me, so no late night browsing.

=-=

The site needs improvement to get people back on, tbh.

Also, https://www.boards.ie/content/about-us and https://www.boards.ie/contact leads to "Page Not Found"

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement