Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My spin today...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭prunudo

Was up there (Ballinastoe) again yesterday myself. Looking forward to seeing new trails in the coming months as they open up, just a shame its at the expense of the natural trails. There was never anything too hairy and it was great to mix up the trail centre and natural stuff for a mellow day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah have been up to bstoe twice in past 3 weeks to get some training in for the blitz. on Saturday saw more clearing for new trail on the climb after the first or second trail.. pity about stage 3 as you say. but they must reckon they've still got 3 full runs as theres a gravity enduro running there this year.

anyway the existing trails are running well, ill add my +1 to those berms on house bound.. honestly think they are best I've seen so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Did the new berms for the first time myself there yesterday, nice and flowy. It will be interesting to see how the new trails are when finished. I wonder are there any blacks planned?

Recorded my run on housebound with the new berms, plus a detour to Big Vinnie.

https://youtu.be/_oFS-iWAjs4

From the last drawing I saw there will be 3 new black trails and 2 new reds, but not sure if that is still the plan. This was on one of the webchats but not the most recent one.

From memory, there were to be 2 blacks from near start of pump and grind all the way to the bottom of expressway. A red from end of zipper (I think there is a short black link trail to expressway here too) to end of flatliner, which I presume is the one they are working on now.

Also a new climbing trail from middle of zipper to around start of stage 3/5 with a red and a black trail roughly following stage 4 to the end of flatliner.

One thing is for sure, they'll be great additions to Ballinastoe and will help to seperate the ability of riders as having people going for koms and kids barely off stabilisers sharing trails is a receipe for disaster.

Looks like the chance to do the cliff trail is gone, coillte have churned up the place at the top of the red road. All the trails up there, Irn Bru, Disco Stu, Aylings etc look to be unrideable. Pity, they were class trails that really tested the nerves. Not too many of those around.

• Advertisement

Ah no. Is it the whole trails or the top sections?

I got out for first mtb spin post covid, took the hardtail to ticknock to try a fast lap in preparation for the blitz.

Ticknock was crowded as expected on a fantastic day. The trails were still wet in typical ticknock fashion. Did the first lap at a decent pace but what struck me is how some of the older coillte trails are really rubbish on a hardtail. Specifically eurosceptic descent.. and euroservices which is getting really worn. Metro 1 is great though!

Fitness seemed to be good, I flew up Toms and kept going without much in the way of stopping. on the second lap I decided to mix it up and tried shizzle/highline/homegrown which was eh, very wet and hence tricky. So after it I'm not sure if I'll bother with the blitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

My local trails are finally starting to dry out. Great spin yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Did a solo GAP run yesterday on the ebike, first time I wasn't with anyone else so no hanging around.

Managed 32km with 1,150m of climbing in just over 2 hours, draining a 750Whr battery. In or around 12 pedals up (not always to the top and not always from the bottom). I could have got a lot more out of the battery if I hadn't used full power going uphill.

For comparison, the last time I had uplift I also did 32km and 1,150 vertifcal with 8 uplifts to the top in the three hours although I punctured twice that day.

• Advertisement

Not the whole trails Gerry, just the entrances. Haven't been up there myself but I've heard they've made access very difficult to the point that no one is bothering to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

I was up a couple of days after the work (It wasn't finished at this point). And its just the top sections, Disco Stu entrance is pretty churned up and wasn't possible to get into really. Irn Bru was still accessible but did require 1 minute of lugging the bike over some trees. I saw a ridelog from yesterday that did Irn Bru and they didn't seem to be wasting too much time getting in. They were no where near Aylings when I was last up.

I had the joy of going up todo disco stu and then had todo Irn Bru in its place in the soaking wet, was well sketchy. Theres a tree down on the first turn so watch out.

Irn Bru is sketchy in the dry and bloody lethal in the wet.....class trail though, one to test the nerves. I've only done Aylings once and found it tougher than IB. Steeper with tight turns and roots in the places you don't want em...

Am inclined to think Coillte going out of their way to put these trails out of action.

Once they are incident free I think they'll leave the historic trails alone. On the flip side the felling gets the possibility of issues off their back so it could be a case of 2 birds, 1 stone.

Unfortunately given the age of many of the plantations around I think we're going to see more and more trails disappearing. The latest clearfell in Ballinastoe has more or less put an end to the natural options there.

Where have they felled at ballinastoe? Haven't been there in awhile but some of the natural stuff had been closed off due to new coillte trails being built.

I know they had issues with the "cliff trail" up beside stage 5 as there are birds of prey nesting in the cliff and coilte did not like the mountain bikers disturbing them which is fair enough I suppose.

Lots of other natural trails have been intentionally destroyed due to the increase of walkers eg mojave and a few others at Ticknock.

It will be a sad day when the likes of Dutch Gold and others on that side of Djouce are gone.

Top sections of stage 1,3 and 5 now felled. But as you say, a lot of the lower sections had been closed due to the new trails so nothing really worth doing anymore, or certainly for the next while until the next gravity enduro creates some new options.

Have they felled the XC trail Indriya highlighted above?

No thats still there afaik. Well the lower section is felled but thats more than a year now

• Advertisement

That would be a very sad day. I can understand the effect of clearfelling but you mention intention destruction of trails by walkers.. thats a thing?.

I don't mean hillwalkers themselves are destroying trails. The increase in walkers in the last 2-3yrs has led to clashes with mtb'ers and complaints to coillte. Hence removal of unsanctioned trails that exit on to fireroads or walkers paths.

Was up in Carrick yesterday, trails running quite fast and well. No obstructions on anything. Coilte will be up felling trees on the top steeper sections in 2 weeks so if you haven't hit em they are all worth checking out some nice features on them. Trails that are probably effected are: Emerald Express, Full Gas, Shoot me, Giants Causeway.

Hit Giants Causeway for the first time, absolutely amazing trail my favorite up there. Some nice rock features and steep sections.

Jaysus, more felling 😪

Unfortunately I think this time its unavoidable as the top section is near its 30 year limit. A ton of trees have already fallen over. Using google maps you can probably see the chunk of trees to be felled and its maybe not as big as I think. Nonetheless its a real pity.

Glorious day at Ballinastoe recently, weather was beautiful. Midweek and had the place to myself.

And here's a youtube clip of the lovely XC trail around the back of Ballinastoe

https://youtu.be/nfrJVqjL7mw

Savage photos, how do you find the tallboy? Contemplating going back in the travel for my next bike.

On a side note, is zipper back open yet?

Ah I know its unavoidable and part of the cycle, but always unpleasant to see the aftermath of coillte felling and the destruction of lovely trails. We will see a lot now over the next few years, a lot of mature trees now ready for the chop.

The Tallboy is actually surprisingly capable for a shorter travel bike (130/120mm), even on the gnarly stuff like Djouce and Crone. I find I take it out more than the bronson which is 160/150, as its much better on the climbs. I do notice the lack of rear travel of course and its not as quick going down as the bigger bike. Great all rounder though. I've actually bumped up the fork to 140mm, no noticeable affect on climbing.

Edit: no, zipper still closed.

• Advertisement

Lovely bike, what camera are you using for the video?

Advertisement