Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I enjoyed this, nice to see a dark, gritty superhero movie as opposed to Marvels bright cartoon offerings.

DC if they play their cards right will have two absolute blockbusters on their hands with Joker and The Batman sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

I went in with zero expectations and was pleasantly surprised. My main criticism would be that the movie doesn't need to be three hours long. It kinda runs out of steam in the last third or so of the movie, they could have cut at least 30 mins out of this.

Am I the only one who thinks Barry Keoghan is not a good actor? I'm a little confused as to how he keeps getting the roles he gets, must have a good agent. Anyway, I don't look forward to seeing him in any sequel, but hey, maybe he'll surprise me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

One thing that still feels weird to me is the period of the film. A lot of it feels like it's specifically supposed to be set in the early 90s (probably reinforced by the use of Nirvana at the opening), but also it felt really noticeable that nobody has a phone unless it's needed as a plot point. Which does mean certain things feel even sillier:

If every cop or DA office worker is corrupt and hanging out at/moonlighting for a known mob venue, how come the 3AM-style gossip pages aren't all over it? How come it's not constantly showing up on widely shared videos on social media platforms?

This isn't a major failing of the film or anything, but it's one of those things where either it's a flub in the script or something that's supposed to be clear to audiences but isn't (at least for me). As a contrast, I could easily go along with the "phones as radar" silliness in The Dark Knight because enough of the rest of the film has put in the effort to make things feel generally plausible. Personal mileage to some extent, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

had no idea about this movie, i was dragged along.....

and i had to stop myself from walking out of this pretentious , dark , dreary , snails pace , depressing movie, with a meandering 'storyline' ..... mumbling 'hero' , more rain than a winters day , self indulgent, trying to be noir to be cool....

feck me, 2hr 45mins that i will never get back.

I didnt enjoy it.... Just to emphasise .

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Well, if you had to be dragged along, you were probably not going in with an open enough mindset to enjoy the movie, so no surprise you didn’t like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

You had no idea there was a new Batman movie out? And you were "dragged" to watch it? You're most likely not the target audience then.

So going to a movie that you have no idea about isnt 'enough of an open mind ' ????!?!??!?! 🙄 😏

why would you have to be “dragged” to a movie you have no idea about?

being “dragged “ to anything suggests a form of reluctance from the person being “dragged”?

I have no idea why it quoted you twice.

You had no idea there was a new Batman movie out? - I did not say that. I said i "had no idea about this movie" I knew it was out.

Target audience - fair enough , but if a movie is 'good/enjoyable/compelling , it should appeal to most people. This just felt like a pretentious attempt at a film noir, and didnt do anything for me.

why would you have to be “dragged” to a movie you have no idea about? - because someone wanted to see it, i didnt.

form of reluctance from the person being “dragged”? - obviously. but if a movie is 'good/enjoyable/compelling , it should appeal to most people, and therefore enjoyable.

My opinion is that the movie is dark, depressing , and not entertaining at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Poor film imo.

Too many unnecessary scenes ( cat woman kissing him as world falling apart for example) and way too long. Kind of dragged towards the end.

A 5 out of 10.

And a big fcuk you to the two idiots on their phone constantly through out the film. Taking pictures etc. Should be a special place in hell for people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Batman films, and the comics and cartoons, have basically always been dark and somewhat depressing and set in a noir style. Even the terrible Batman Forever and Batman and Robin films had some dark styling to them.

The only time a Batman franchise wasn't dark and gloomy would be the Adam West Batman, which while amazing in it's own right, it was a kids show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ah. Go on. Someone is looking for attention. You were dragged to a film that you didn't want to see. You say you had no idea about the film. Yet the film is titled "The Batman". When you saw the title, out of curiosity, what did you think it was going to be about?

The fact that you were dragged to something you clearly didn't want to go to demonstrates your lack of a back bone. Why would you be forced to do something you don't want to do. Why didn't you put your foot down and insist that you'll go to the cinema if a compromise is met on choice of film. I'm no psychologist, but looks to me that you have underlying relationship stresses (i.e. under the thumb) and you needed to run onto Boards.ie to release those frustrations.

well, judging by your personal assasination of me, you try to be a psychologist.. .but a sh1t one.

Why would you be nasty to someone you have no clue about over a fcuking movie.

You sir , with the dodgy name, are a nasty troll.

And for your information, it was my 13 yr old son !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Enough of this silly tangent. Let's leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I miss the days were sitting on your phone was a much bigger no-no than it even closely resembles today. If one phone went off, you were a marked man/woman.

Nowadays it's just all part of the experience.

Topic-related, though, I thoroughly enjoyed it for the most part, although I did tune out on some occasions so I'll have to get it on Blu Ray and watch it again at my own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

solid 7/10 for me.

could have been better, could have been far worse. The story was very linear and kinda obvious, clues solved pretty much instantly which lead opt the next plot point. Seems to be that Reeves didnt want to commit to present the citizens of gotham in the same manner as Nolan in TDK, though thats exactly what the movie needed. There needed to be a bigger ground swell movement when the big reveal happens, instead there was only a handful of fringe head cases. i loved the fact that its dark, violent, non humorous movie. Ive had enough of the disney marvel "dont colour outside the lines" plethora we've been served lately. Gotham is monolithic and dreary in this this, exactly as it should be for a vigilante like batman to be able to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Sorry. That was silly alright.

But it's not right to be slagging off a film that you were forced to go to when it was clear you didn't want to go to it. You were watching something against your will. Of course, it's going to be shed in a negative light for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

The one think that bugged me

The thumb drive wasn't put in to a secure PC. Rookie mistake by Batman there.

Otherwise loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Yep. Every time I go to the cinema, someone always has their phone out. It's all part of it now. Nothing ever gets done about it anymore, it's normalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Jesus, couldn’t wait to get out of the cinema. I brought my 12-year-old son so this was my only motivation to stay. Overlong, tiresome and completely unoriginal. I’m honestly baffled where the high praise came from in reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I find him extremely hit and miss. He can really struggle with accents....like horrendously. But he can be really good in the right role...I thought he was excellent and really unsettling in the killing of a sacred deer. He is in the new Martin McDonagh film which should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

just home from seeing it. I loved it. had a big smile on my face the whole time. great cast, great direction, great costumes, great score just great everything. As a comic fan since 86 it had everything except there should of been more colin farrell.

It was my opinion. Why are you so enraged that i gave MY opinion.... ?

And then abused my personally over it.

Its a discussion forum, where people post their opinions.

#Block

Ironic posting a “let it go” meme after a mod has already intervened…

hey ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Saw this the other day. I'm a big fan of dark brooding Batman so loved the aesthetic. Acting good (except Pattinson as Bruce Wayne IMHO) - that was Colin Farrell on screen, bloody hell! I still left disappointed though. IMHO the film has two big problems.

Some of the storyline stretches credibility (hey I know it's a film about a man in tights, but c'mon) with exposition seeming rather forced. Specifically:

The Mayor, the DA and seemingly half the cops and politicians are all involved in a giant criminal conspiracy - about which they are seemingly quite open (DA partying in gangster club) - yet Commissioner Gordon and the World's Greatest Detective had no inkling? Really?

Also, Alfred knew along who killed Bruce's dad but just.....never mentioned it?

But the biggest problem is the running time. It's LONG and it bloody feels it. Someone mentioned Dune upthread - great example of a long film which works well. I almost didn't go to that because of the length (I have low tolerance for 130+ minute films these days as they're usually padded) but was pleasantly surprised. The Batman though feels every bloody minute of its excessive length. When the story apparently wrapped up I checked my watch to find there was another hour left. Needs 40 minutes thrown on the editing room floor.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Alfred specifically states that he had an idea who was behind the killing Bruces father, but spent every day trying to prove it. So he was right not to say anything to Bruce as he couldnt be 100% sure. In fact, the murder of Bruces parents is never actually solved in the movie. Alfred still admits that it could just have been an unlucky mugging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Very good Batman movie. Loved the style. Reminded me of The Crow. Cast and execution were really excellent.

The story....hhhuummm. It's was good but the movie should have been wound up after "he came into the light" and got his what for. No need for the 'explosive' finish. Catwoman's segue into the story was a bit lazy too.

7.5/10

Advertisement