Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

1838485868789»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Don’t see why not. Our sons primary school decided to reimplement their precovid uniform policy at 7pm on a Tuesday night last week. (Under their covid set up the next day was a non uniform day)….

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

They were switching between uniform and non uniform for covid reasons each week?That would drive me nuts as a clothes-washing parent!I appreciate the rule was probably made when we knew no better but it should have been got rid of a looooooong time ago.

Our school has been very sensible in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Oh it was actually awesome. Uniform Monday, tracksuit Tuesday, anything Wednesday, uniform Thursday, tracksuit Friday. It was perfect for a single midweek wash and I only had one uniform and one tracksuit which is perfect at this age as he’s growing fast. I did not appreciate needing to get the uniform washed and dried for the next morning. And I’ve had to get an extra uniform now we’re back to four uniform/one tracksuit

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Doasisaynotwhatido

What kind of schools are you sending your kids too...

3 years ago in my sons school (wouldn't be the most well off area) principal suddenly started ringing parents to collect kids who maybe have wrong shoes, no tie etc

Parents organised meeting between themselves and all stated if called we wouldn't collect the kids so they would have to stay in school. 1 week later no phone calls to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Comer1

The kind of schools that has a uniform policy. If you don't like the policy, find a school where the policy suits you.

If parents refused to adhere to the uniform policy that they would have had to agree to upon registration, and then refuse to collect students they should have been excluded from class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Deeec

Just an update on what I posted last week. We have received a message from the school - staggered collection times remain the same - its not being dropped for the moment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

My son's school has staggered drop off times and this year his class is on the 9.10 start. I know it won't suit lots of people but I love it. We don't have to leave the house until 9 and it just makes mornings that bit more chilled out. I'm so happy for him to not have to wear a mask again at school. While he adapted to it better than I'd worried about, I think long term, masks on small children has the potential to damage their social abilities. Facial cues are so important, to everyone, but especially children and I'm glad they won't be missing out on those.

As for uniforms, nearly every kid in my son's school just wears the tracksuit which can be the official school tracksuit or just a tracksuit from Dunnes/Aldi/Tesco in the right colour. My kid somehow manages to come home everyday covered in mud and grass stains, so I have 5 tracksuit bottoms, 4 tops and several of the polo shirts they wear underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

This should not be the case. I've seen the letter from the Dept sent to all schools + they have been told to drop staggered collection times, pods etc and to restart parent teacher meetings, afterschool activities etc.

Now fair enough if it might take school week or two to implement after midterm but that should be all.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Hi, sorry to butt in, I've scoured the internet and can't find the answer:

What are the current rules if one of your children has covid? Do all stay off school because they're in the same household? 13 year old has tested positive, other 4 negative so far.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

HSE website ………

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid19/contact-tracing/close-contact/

They go to school unless they have symptoms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Chrissy1

Does anyone know what should happen if both parents test positive but kids are negative with no symptoms? It would seem to me that technically the kids can go to school but that seems wrong. We’re in this situation at the moment and are keeping the kids at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

Technically the children can attend school as long as they have no symptoms. It seems wrong because of what we have been doing all along as close contacts. We have to trust the advice. I have parents in my class with the same dilemma. Some are choosing to send to school and some are choosing to stay home. In my experience there is very little transmission in classes as long as a child does not attend with symptoms. We have had many covid cases and only 1 or 2 cases linked to in school transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Just send them to school even they have it ,it's absolutely everywhere right now so what difference does it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

How are they telling whether the transmission is from school or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

They aren't telling us that for definite. I'm talking about more than one child within the same pod testing positive at the same time - parents were antigen testing as recommended and only 1 or 2 came back positive in those instances.

Advertisement