Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Pottery Throw Down - BBC 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I wouldn't be rushing out to buy any of tonight's pieces!

Think the railway wagon topped it for me tonight, followed by the boat - I'm a total sucker for boats though.

I was surprised how small it was when Rose was lifting it into place in the gallery. But the detail!!

I was also surprised how dark/grey most of them were - I was expecting bright white pieces with sharp black detailing.

I didn't get the raving about the lamppost on the bridge, it looked a bit cartoonish to me - although I thought the bridge itself was great - the cobbles on the road surface better than the brickwork on the walls, they were a bit cartoony as well.

All in all a bit of a meh week all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Navy blue

A bit of a dull episode all in all. I enjoyed the challenges the clay presented, but none of the finished products rocked my boat (apart from the boat ironically 😂) Cellan’s wagon was also lovely. He really excels in putting exquisite detail on what at first seems like a very simple design.

Miles had a very lucky escape, I didn’t like his apple at all. That’s two poor weeks he has had. He’ll need to pull up his socks next week. Josh deserved to go, his was a bit of a disaster, plus his clock last week was poor.

Yay, Raku week next week! It’s my favourite! 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Definitely agree, I thought nicks was amazing this week! I also loved his robot clock.

Miles yeah it looked thrown together, very little detail on it.

Seems fairly even this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

It says something if keith wasnt truely moved to tears by any of them. A little choked up on one but nothing like his normal reaction.

I think i would have sent miles home over josh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Kinda disappointed this week the raku week is usually fairly dramatic.

I liked Lucindas, I wonder if she had of steeped the heather branch in water would it have been more malleable.

Noticed her having another little snipe at Tom over his talking....wonder if there's behind the scenes tensions there.

I don't think Christine's cherry blossoms overly worked for the amount of effort I don't think she got a good return.

Miles deserved to go he's been on the edge for weeks. Jenny is my next bet to leave.

Haven't read the comments, just watching the show now.....

First thought is completely O/T - WTF is the story with them all having high-mounted pigtails (including one of the fellas)???

That can't be a coincidence!

ETA - ohhhhhhh...... it's a Japanese reference, right?

It's been a long day - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

They didn't do the pour test! No point in having a teapot if it dribbles all over yer table!!

Tom's dalmatian teaset - nah, not for me. But he aced it in the actual throwing and the finish of the pieces - decoration let him down though.

AJ's - really gorgeous glazing and decoration and colours, but a bit boring.

Cellan - meh - bit boring in the decoration, but nicely made and a bit clever in the design.

Miles - agree with the judges, just looked a bit messy, and too monochrome - if I was asked beforehand if that colour scheme would work, I'd have been a big fan, but in reality it just didn't work for me anyway

Lucinda - absolutely gorgeous colours in her glazing, and kudos for figuring out a Plan B for her handle lugs snapping off! Really gorgeous set.

Nick - I do love a square shape! And the blue/white/black colours worked, where Miles's didn't. I didn't like the handle, but other than that, gorgeous.

Anna - just looked a bit of a mess, really! Didn't get any sense of a plan, or a cohesive set about her pieces.

Jenny - I want to like it, but just a bit boring overall, despite the faceted design.

Christine - gorgeous, and clearly the feel of the cups was great, but the colouring was a bit pastelly for my liking, I prefer a more bold design. But they really were gorgeous.

BUT - we don't know if they'll pour a cuppa!!!

Aaaaand, Tom gets potter of the week - just shows what I know!

In fairness, his making/build/form - whatever you'd call it - was the best of the lot of them, apart from Nick, whose square shapes I loved but they clearly didn't appeal to the judges. And his plastic handle just jarred. But I just didn't get the decoration of Tom's pieces. And I normally love simplicity, and bold design.

For me, his decoration in comparison to Lucinda, Nick AJ, and even Christine (if pastels are your bag) wasn't in the ball park.

Wouldn't be a fan of gnomes but some of them were cute.

I felt cealan was robbed abit this week. He has been pretty strong and had a bad week whereas jenny has always been just abit better than the worst.

The guest potter doing those urns was amazing.

It wasn't a very remarkable episode. No piece really stood out.

Is anyone still watching??

I missed the beginning , joined just at the spot challenge.

Again wasn't really gone on anything this week.

Jenny really upped her game, I did like her final pieces. I wasn't gone on her design challenge piece, I didn't think the colours were that striking.

Nick really had a bad week....his colour application on his pieces looked like he'd runout of steam and splashed anything on ...the pieces themselves were lovely if he'd just glazed them perfectly.

• Advertisement

I'm still watching 😄

Yeah, not the most inspiring of episodes really - none of the main makes would have grabbed me really.

I thought Nick's were an absolute mess - there was a nod to the 60's in the shapes he stuck on, but the glazing was awful.

Jenny's winning pots were fine - a nice mix of strong lines but blurring between the sections as well, and absolutely beautifully made shapes. But they didn't make me go WOW.

The others have all receded into a blend at this stage, I can't even remember any of them in particular.

Having said that, Orla Kiely stuff doesn't really do it for me either, so maybe the 60's just isn't my thing! But she definitely does it better than any of the potters this week.

I'm really hoping for a blistering week soon, it's all a bit safe this series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There was an audible groan that escaped me when Orla Kiely was shown to be the guest judge... can't fathom what people see in her products. The handbags in particular look like (and have all the build quality of) buy-it-for-life shopping bags from a pound-shop yet seem to go for mad money.

It's looking like it's AJ's season to lose at this stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I'm still watching too although I have to watch it on demand at 10pm 😁

I liked the gnomes. A couple of good contestants but I can't even remember most of the names! AJ standing out a right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I’m still watching too, but usually on catch up on Mondays. Agree looks like it's AJ's to lose at this stage

AJs gnomes were amazing!

This week some lovely stuff..AJ again very good this week. Terrific to see Jenny win potter of the week, you could see it meant a lot to her. Nick had to go I suppose given his blow out but still very talented his boat was wonderful.

Well this week was so much more enjoyable.

Jenny is a total dark horse. I loved the anglerfish light idea...pretty much made for the challenge. Not sure I'd buy one but great idea. Her owl set was lovely too.

I think jenny was slightly robbed tbh though AJ's was great too.

Loved the crocodile too.

The polar bear looked weird, Christine was lucky tom had a bad week there.

I thought the octopus was well done but the saggrato wasn't great. I think if he'd done a better challenge than the two uninspiring pots.... seriously what was he thinking....he may have saved himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭Xander10

Agree with that. Really enjoyed tonight's show.

Now this is what pottery throwdown is meant to be!!

I haven't even got to the end yet, and I'm already loving some of the pieces.

Just a shame they didn't fire the spot test pieces, I always find it very difficult to judge from just raw clay and glaze - i think last week was the first time they did, and I was hoping they'd do the same this time.

Right, on to see how the final main makes turn out!

Awww, AJ's otter was so cute!! And as the judges said, beautiful both with and without light bulb lit.

Same for Lucinda's, but the red flex didn't do it for me at all.

That polar bear was just plain weird looking!

The octopus was a bit of a damp squid (boom boom!). Very underwhelming, in comparison to the others. Nice build, but terribly plain in decoration, particularly when they'd asked for scrafitto.

The Croc was amazing!! Such detail in the carving. And looked even better when lit. The flex didn't look out of place like it did with Lucinda's badger.

Think that was the winner for me tonight.

The angler fish - fabulous carving and decoration - the textures - but that thing would give me fecking nightmares!!

• Advertisement

Oh! I was sure the angler fish would win it for Jenny!

Delighted for AJ - she's definitely the hot tip to win the whole thing, barring a bad week wobble. But that weird otter's head will be queuing up behind the angler fish to give me the heebie jeebies 🥺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Great week for builds, Tom would have stayed if he had done more sgraffito. Christine's polar bear just didn't cut it. Neck was way too long.

AJ's pots for the quick test were brilliant.

For me it's between AJ and Jenny for the win. Don't mind which.

And then we have the return of the unfunny Siobhan, that's the rest of the series ruined for me.

Ellie was a brilliant presenter, great with the contestants.

Genuine emotion from and for Christine there.

Just realised the last of the men went last week!

Ah absolute joy, I must admit I teared up a few times along with Keith. Christine's was terrific you could see they all adored it.

AJ is an absolute genius imo...has to be the favourite.

Gutted for Jenny but I suppose she was weakest this week

For me the best of these type of shows by a country mile.

I think AJ was slightly robbed this week.

With the backstory of Christine's piece there was no way she wasn't winning unless it exploded. I'm not saying it wasn't good,it was lovely. I'm just not the biggest fan of motivationals/affirmations. That said it was a personal piece for her,not a commercial piece.

I think jenny deserved to go, she has had 2 strong weeks the last couple of weeks but she's usually bottom 2, the rest of the pack have been consistently good.

It's AJs to lose but one bad week is all it takes. Remember Claire (I think) the bodybuilder.

Just watched this tonight.... I think my favourite piece was AJ's, but agree there was no way Christine wasn't winning this week - and that's not to take away from her piece, it was amazing. But I dunno, just the whole "I had cancer" thing just didn't do it for me. Maybe i need to grow some empathy/a heart!! (and I have people close to me who've had cancer).

I was surprised Jenny didn't try to make a feature of the cracks in her piece - the two halves, and ne'er the twain shall meet, or something like that.... not sure it would have got her anywhere, but surely worth a try!

This was by far the most entertaining/ engaging week of this series for me so far, back to what the throwdown should be!!

• Advertisement

I think Anna was slightly robbed. I would have liked her to get potter of the week at least once.

That said I liked AJ's piece it was very neat.

Christine's lobster turned out better than I expected, shame about the arms/legs.

Well Lucinda looked like a lobster 🙈 but that aside I didn't really get the idea of a punch n Judy urinal to begin with. I didn't like it.

AJ's to lose but Anna might be one to watch she always stays "cool and collected" the pressure could easily get to Christine, she seems more easily rattled.

AJ clear favourite for me. I loved the knight urinal!

I thought Lucinda was a little unlucky to go.

Christine possibly. Her lobster was cute, but the legs were all a disaster it didn't flush well either. Lucinda won the challenge as well.

Yeah both of them had issues.

I'm not sure how much weight those challenges hold. I'm pretty sure someone else went when they won or came second in the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Only just watched last weeks there, I would have liked Anna to win too. Especially seeing as they all thought hers was gonna to fall apart and it didn't.

AJ has to win, their pieces make up most of that room!

Agree Sammyjo90. Its AJ's win I think. That totem is fantastic

I forgot how young AJ is, such amazing talent.

I was rooting for Anna but AJ's totem was far superior (as expected). I loved the sign post on the top.

I was expecting them to have taken an apprenticeship with Keith or something along those lines, but they've gone out on their own, fair play to them.

An interesting season, started off very strong lost its way a little in the middle and finished strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thrilled for AJ . So incredibly talented and a lovely person

Just watching now, so haven't read any comments yet - but first thoughts are, who on earth let Keith out in his confirmation suit jacket??

I don't think he's known for his fashion sense 🤣😂

Watched final today.

AJ what a worthy winner, but three terrific finalists.

So neat and precise with a really unique style, the totem was terrific.

Lovely series.

Ellie was an excellent host I thought no issue if she comes back.

Keith was on Celebrity Mastermind this evening.... poor fella did ok in his own round, but had a complete 'mare in the general knowledge!!

I'd say he's morto!!

And we're back!!!!

Christmas special with "celebs" channel 4 Christmas day 19:50.

Then new series Sunday 8th January channel 4 19:45.

Nobody watching this year?

Personal preference over most reality shows.

• Advertisement

I am, but this thread is pretty dead.

I really don't like the presenter Siobhan (I know she has her fans here) but she is ruining it for me!

I'm watching! Rarely manage to watch the show live though.

James is fast turning into the man to beat - he's really, really good!

They're a very likeable bunch this time - Fabiola was the most out-there, and even she wasn't that annoying, really.

George definitely wins the "most unlikely potter" title!

Now that she's gone, I think I just want them all to win - but I think barring a calamity, James will be in the final mix for sure. I hope Caitlin is there with him.

Those chicken pots were works of art!!

Nobody managed to make Keith cry tonight!

Loved her character in Derry Girls, but yes, likewise, I find her irritating presenting this. The Lady that stood in for her when she broke her foot was much better.

I'm watching too. It's just very hard to find threads with this 'not so new now' new layout!

James is the man to beat at the moment but famous lady words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

another great series, with some great potters.

check out Rich in the Woodland Workshop, really nice tv show.

And can we get Ellie back? Siobhan is ruining it, thinks she's way funnier than she is

Oh my god cuteness overload!!!

I loved the red panda but that's one of my favourite animals so a little biased....however it looked a little dodge when it's legs were shown.

The ferret was hilarious...an extra from "Shaun the sheep"

Helen? The one with the penguin had a very close call but she has been stronger than Derek so far, so I would have been sad to see her go this week.

I honestly don't know how Siobhan didn't get a clatter from one of them when they were doing the timed challenge. Talk about invading personal space, if she could perch on their shoulder she would have. Really unfair especially when they are using the wheel.

So what did we think of the final?

It was a little underwhelming I thought (I wonder if I'm getting fatigued at these programs as I thought the same for bake off.....or if the contestants just aren't the same calibre as their predecessors)

The builds were nice , especially when the tulips were added but I wouldn't buy any of them.

She's been very strong throughout so happy enough she won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement

Advertisement