Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extension quote

Options
  • 05-02-2022 7:54pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Standard 3 bed semi with garage conversion, approx 140 Sq m currently.

Adding bedrooms above garage, going into attic to create master bedroom(storage). Relatively large ground floor extension, about 60sqm, underfloor heating in this + existing kitchen area.

Builders finish, no painting, no kitchen, no flooring etc. 300k incl vat.

About 100 Sqm of extra space

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Wow - that's nearly the cost of a new house!! Seems about right these days depending on the location?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yes.. south county Dublin.

Should have more quotes late next week, but

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

At least you got a quote! Down south we are looking for an extension... got a very rough quote of €50k about 18 months ago.

Went out looking for builders again, none will quote at all, one said maybe in the summer they'll give a quote, another won't take any bookings until 2023.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

So got our 2nd quote. 340k, pretty detailed from the builder, but still looking at 400k in total. Waiting on one more, but will be a couple if weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

We used a builder who only covers South Dublin. Very happy with them. Not sure of their availability though. They were very competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

This sound similar to a project we’d like to do. Can I ask, what is the spec? Eg, will finished house have AluClad windows, A rating, etc?

We haven't even looked at windows yet 😂

But existing house it's pretty well insulated, but not sure we'd get an A rating, we've an open fire

Fair enough. I suppose I meant are you expecting expensive/high quality finishes for that or more standard finishes. Asking because 400k is definitely more than we wanted to spend so wondering if there’s much fat in that budget.

What they've quote isnt far off a builders finish

In the first quote, no tiling, no hanging of internal doors (if they have glass), no tiling allowance, no painting, no tiling of external area, no install of any windows, no kitchen

second quote has some allowances for this stuff

• Advertisement

Wow. Good to know. Thanks and best of luck with it!

if my luck extends to a lotto win.. thats the type of luck i need!

Prices are insane tbh

So one of the builders who came last week, recommended we prep for the 3rd floor attic conversion, but not doing it would basically knock 100K off our price, which seems nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Gusser09

WOW.

The devil is in the detail though. A redesign and simplifying certain aspects might save a pile of money.

We had our doe last year. Approx 50sqm in total. We didn't go up though and didn't require any structural works to the main house. Literally just build on the side. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a utility, Turn key was 70k. Would probably be nearer 100k this year though. Which would have meant not getting it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭society4

Star baby please can you pm me the name of your builder, thanks

That seems very good value. We got an estimate from an architect for doing a two-story side extension, adding two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a utility. Also a rear extension of probably 30sqm. The estimate was 350k. We have to upgrade the whole house at the same time due to the building regs. Would be delighted to get the side done for 100k, never mind 70k!!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭society4

Gosh that is a huge quote houseyhouse. Can I ask if you get a 25sq m ext only do you have to upgrade the rest of the house? Although I can’t see the point in having one part of the house uninsulated ....I’ve abandoned my plans to extend and retrofit as the prices are insane. Has anyone got recent reasonable quotes ...surely no one will get work done if it costs this much and will wait until the economy settles ....

I believe it depends on the percentage of the house that’s getting work. The rule is 25% but I’m not sure how they measure it. The architect did say that a lot of people assume those planning exempt extensions are also exempt from the new regs and that’s not actually the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The only thing I'd say is talk to a builder. Sometimes Architects and Builders prices can vary a lot.

• Advertisement

On your point about nobody going ahead with these prices. We’re in the position where we feel like we don’t have a lot of good options. We’re overcrowded in the house, especially with working from home. There’s nowhere better available to move to really. Anything that’s near schools and big enough for us costs a fortune or needs a lot of upgrading, or both. I’m not sure we could get anything better for our money. We’ll have to see what we can scrape together and what it will get us in a renovation/extension. I don’t want to wait a few years either because our kids are hitting the teens soon. No point doing it when they’ve only a couple of years left at home. No guarantee prices will go down in the next few years either. As I said, no good options in this housing market really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'd be the same. I'm thinking going back into the office might be easier.

I’m hoping a garden room office will help make it all work. We’re not in Dublin so remote work has opened a lot of possibilities for us career wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Or send a substantial bill to your employer!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

True. I'm thinking a job with travel makes it not my problem :)

So we've given up. It's basically costing us more to extend that we bought the house for. So we'll sell and buy a bigger house

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Proper order too.

Crazy prices and not even a kitchen included.

As someone involved in building large one off houses in the west, I cry at these prices.

I know it's a different game but majority of my work would be via self build and many of those self builds 250 sqm with heat pump, heat recovery, underfloor heating, kitchen, connection to services would be coming in under 300k.

Dublin prices are nuts.

We had priced new windows and doors in mid Jan, they were 34k, our potential builder now said they are 52k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sounds like high spec stuff

Advertisement