Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are we heading for a fuel shortage?

Comments

It's ALL DEPENDANT on the Ukrainian situation..... normally I'm a glass half FULL kinda guy but it doesn't look bright up ahead.....i hope I'm wrong but you have to think there'll be shortages up the road. I filled up with diesel today ( obviously I had to ring the bank first for authorisation) & I asked the lady for a drum ( 10ltrs) of ADBLUE......she said they haven't got any & are waiting on delivery....maybe not connected at all but still a bad omen

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Publishing articles in tabloids about fuel shortages and petrol pump queues is a self fulfilling prophesy.

Same thing happened last year in the UK when there were a shortage of truck drivers post Brexit which impacted fuel deliveries to forecourts, in turn it made people panic go out and queue for fuel which resulted in fuel disappearing from filling stations even quicker.

These type of articles just add fuel to the fire (no pun intended).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 614 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Considering how people panic buy bread at the first hint of a shortage I can only imagine how badly Irish people would react to a fuel shortage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Well, this might be seen as fear mongering, but Whitegate ran out of unleaded for a time this morning, but rectified the situation by the afternoon.

It's a sign of things to come, especially if the tankers aren't arriving by sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is what's in store when there is a fuel delivery:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

Whatever about fuel, i’ll start panicking when there’s no bog roll left.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,405 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Home oil suppliers have started limiting the amount you can order to 500 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Imagine we had potential as a country to supply our own oil and gas.

Wouldnt that be something ay!??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Battery cars ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

We'll never supply our own oil and our gas will only ever meet a small portion of energy demand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at least there's a natural limit in a sense on a rush on the pumps - you can't buy more than your fuel tank will hold, whereas with loo roll you could in theory buy as much as your house would hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Well we definitely won’t know now thanks to the greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In the last 2 weeks I've bought 800L of kero, 300L of diesel and 50L of petrol.

I've also stockpiled solid fuel for the open fire, and I have 2½ full gas cylinders for camping stove/supersur.

I've also kept both cars brimmed.

Am I crazy . Probably, but I won't be caught without.

*In before the panic buying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

So I filled the disel car today

Bought 500ltr of oil this evening, have about 300 in the tank

About 80 bags of wood pellets

Shed of timber and coal for the big stove

Filled up the electric car today with solar PV

I should be ok for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I have a vamat so don't need to worry about the bog roll 😁

NICE..... how much for the kerosene?????? Mine would last a lot longer if Mrs Mc Carthy didn't keep putting the heating on.......ive always said she'd be more suited for a warmer climate🤣

I bought a fill of oil in Jan for 830, 1000 ltrs....I thought that was expensive

I filled up last week 94c/l.

I bought at 4am.. by 9.30am it was €1/l

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

Filled up there in Ballina, Mayo and the lad on the till reckoned the cheaper stations in the locality ran out of diesel earlier today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Picked up some unleaded tonight €1.89, I remember during the depths of Covid paying €1.12, I still have the receipt 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I got 500L on Thursday for €550. I didn't want it delivered until Friday but my supplier said if I waited a day then it would be €670. He expects to run out of everything except green diesel today.

(He's also only been serving regular customers for the past week or so due to panic buying).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Eamon Ryan must have a horn on him that would beat a donkey out of a quarry. €2 a litre is a dream come true for those guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Most defiantly going to be a fuel shortage. ESB will be turning away a shipment of coal from Russia next week at moneypoint, electricity security especially with these data centres drawing untold power may also see hits. Most scary thing of all is the food shortage that will 100% come. Farmers journal reporting between Ukraine and Russia alone 29% of global wheat exports, 26% of global barley exports, 20% global maize exports, 65% of global sunflower oil exports. RUSSIA also accounts for 25% of global fertiliser exports with another 25% coming out of Europe which is dependant on Russia gas to make it. Because of a fertiliser shortage and ridiculous cost (urea €340/ton last year €940/ton now), grassland agro fertiliser ceo said urea may be in the region of 1400-1500/ton come summer. No fertiliser reduced yields hence food shortages couple this with Russia and Ukraines exports being diminished this may be catastrophic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Absolutely hate these kind of threads and headlines - all they’re going to do is spread panic and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In that article the IRHA are quoted as being the source of concern, not a place I'd be going for my economic insights. The US and others will be releasing a lot of oil from reserves so our only concern is the absolutely inevitable price surge. OPEC+, Russia are aligned with them, are in no great rush to increase supplies. They have a small increase scheduled for this month.

Got to buy home heating oil and most companies are saying limited supply.

Threads like this will get seen by maybe 1-2% of the population, fuel companies putting on websites they have limited supply is the one to get concerned about

Even when I was filling yesterday, the garage had a queue by the time I was finished....putting in 100+ of diesel on those bloody pumps takes ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We essentially gave away the rights to the oil and gas off our coast for exploration, people complained about how little tax Shell paid on Corrib, yet there's only been 2 gas fields that ever produced commercially. We may have a lot of oil/gas off shore but it's never been recoverable.

Advertisement